Re: What would Jesus do? He’d get vaccinated, that’s what

Klaus Schadenfreude

Sep 22, 2021, 2:51:15 PM9/22/21
On Wed, 22 Sep 2021 10:22:18 -0700, Rudy Canoza <j...@phendrie.con>
wrote:

>*ALL* anti-vaxxers are making a phony *political* statement

You're the biggest phony here. And, also, at the same time, the
shortest.

Ted

Sep 22, 2021, 2:53:21 PM9/22/21
wrote:
> By Robin AbcarianColumnist
> Sept. 22, 2021 3:15 AM PT

> One year ago, when my father was sliding toward the end, I had
occasion to call
> 911 three times in the weeks before he died.

> During each fraught first-responder visit, my house filled with at
least half a
> dozen brawny, uniformed paramedics and firefighters. We stood
inches from one
> another as they took my father’s vital signs to determine why he
had fallen or
> passed out or — on the last visit — whether he’d had a catastrophic
stroke.

> This is the kind of vulnerable person that our vaccine-resistant
firefighters
> are metaphorically spitting on when, in the name of personal or
religious
> freedom, they refuse any of the widely available, safe and
efficacious COVID-19
> vaccines.

> About half our city firefighters and police officers have refused
to vaccinate.

> A group of Los Angeles Police Department employees has filed a
federal lawsuit
> against the city, which has imposed a vaccine mandate on city
employees,
> accusing the city of violating their constitutional rights to
privacy and due
> process.

> The Firefighters 4 Freedom Foundation, a group of more than 500
members of the
> city’s Fire Department, has sued the city in state court, declaring
themselves
> “pawns in a political chess match.”

> They are pawns all right — manipulated by social-media-spawned
misinformation,
> ignorance and antagonism toward scientific expertise.

> And now we learn that about a quarter of the Police Department’s
workforce has
> indicated it plans to pursue religious exemptions to the vaccine, a
patently
> absurd and disingenuous dodge. Similar requests are being made by
public
> employees all over the country.

> This rash of religious awakenings is inspired by the passage in the
1964 federal
> Civil Rights Act that says employers must make reasonable
accommodations for
> workers who object to work requirements because of “sincerely held”
religious
> beliefs.

> But the law also says exemptions cannot place an “undue” burden on
employers,
> nor be based on political or social beliefs.

> I would submit that our vaccine-resistant first responders are
placing an undue
> burden on all of us, and that they are doing so for reasons that
have nothing to
> do with religion.

> No major world religion has prohibitions against vaccinations. Even
Christian
> Science, a sect known for favoring prayer over medical intervention
for illness,
> encourages its adherents to follow public health guidelines,
including
> vaccination mandates.

> Curtis Chang, a former Christian pastor, created the website
Christians and the
> Vaccine to explore, and try to allay, objections to vaccines on
various grounds.

> In a conversation Monday, he told me that Christian Scientists are
OK with
> vaccines because they believe in Christ’s profound message to “love
thy neighbor
> as thyself.”

> “The vaccine effort has been plagued by falsehoods of all kinds,”
Chang wrote in
> a recent New York Times essay. “The religious exemption from
vaccine mandates
> for Christians is the latest lie.”

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/story/2021-09-22/what-would-jesus-do-ge
t-vaccinated

> *ALL* anti-vaxxers are making a phony *political* statement, not a
legitimate
> safety-concern or religious statement.

Exactly. Thank you, Rudy.