'Spider-Man: No Way Home' Suggests Movie Fans Are Fed Up With Woke Propaganda

1 view

Ubiquitous

Dec 23, 2021, 9:41:48 PM12/23/21
“Get woke, go broke” is a popular adage in the conservative community.
But is there any truth to it?

Some critics are saying that the massive success of the new movie,
“Spider-Man: No Way Home,” shows beyond a doubt that movie audiences
are seeking films with substance and heart, not woke messaging that’s
nothing more than thinly veiled propaganda for Leftist causes.

And some proof they’re citing is how “No Way Home” just smashed box
office expectations, raking in $253 million domestically opening
weekend, according to Variety. Before this, no post-COVID-19 film had
managed to cross the $100 million mark in just one weekend.

Others have tried, however. “Spider-Man’s” monstrous success comes in
the recent wake of Spielberg’s huge “West Side Story” flop that failed
despite an aggressive marketing campaign in Hollywood. Critics blamed a
surge in the virus with the Omicron variant going strong as a reason
people just didn’t want to go to the movies. But “No Way Home” proves
there’s something else going on.

Critics and fans both adore the latest “Spider-Man” movie, with the
Observer calling it, “An overflowing, funnel-web cornucopia of treats
for Spider-fans.” A ReelViews critic said, “As superhero movies go,
this one offers its share of satisfying moments and is guaranteed to
warm the heart of any Spider-Man movie fan, regardless of when their
fandom started.”

The consensus is that this film was made with the fans in mind and
differs from what Disney has done in the past. This is likely because,
technically, Sony still owns the film rights and creative control
despite being under the gigantic Disney umbrella.

And then there was Breitbart, who called out what many moviegoers and
critics were implying but not explicitly stating.

“Newsflash: If you make a decent movie that seeks to entertain and move
— instead of lecture and shame — we will show up,” John Nolte wrote.
“‘Spider-Man: No Way Home’ does precisely that. You will not only have
a great time at the movies again, but there’s no gay, transsexual, or
racial nonsense. This movie is about only one thing: Delivering the
goods.”

On the whole, action movies tend to out-perform more thoughtful films.
But even these types of storylines have been suffering lately. “Black
Widow” bombed because of overtly feminist themes that superseded the
central narrative. “Eternals” had a similar issue because audiences saw
the extraordinarily politically correct agenda and rebelled against it.

Moviegoers are used to experiencing a point of view in the
entertainment industry; that’s been woven into the fabric of Hollywood
for decades. But we’ve reached a point where sending a message has
become the singular message and that doesn’t resonate with fans. At the
very least, they need to be entertained too.

“No Way Home” has Peter Parker (Tom Holland) visit Doctor Strange
(Benedict Cumberbatch) with the request that everyone forgets he’s a
superhero. But our leading man quickly learns that actions have
consequences. Peter Parker makes mistakes, but the movie also includes
a place for second chances and redemption. Plus, there are nods to
American pride in the film, which is virtually nonexistent in the rest
of Hollywood.

“Spider-Man: No Way Home” is currently in theaters. It has rated 94%
fresh on Rotten Tomatoes and has a 99% fan score.

--
Let's go Brandon!

Ubiquitous

Dec 24, 2021, 11:49:20 AM12/24/21
- instead of lecture and shame - we will show up," John Nolte wrote.

Otto J. Makela

Feb 9, 2022, 5:50:15 AM2/9/22
Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:

> Some critics are saying that the massive success of the new movie,
> "Spider-Man: No Way Home," shows beyond a doubt that movie audiences
> are seeking films with substance and heart, not woke messaging that's
> nothing more than thinly veiled propaganda for Leftist causes.

Someone claiming Spiderman, Superman, X-Men and other US comics have not
contained political messages as parables from the very first issues
seems to me to be intentionally denying reality.

From time to time we receive letters from readers who wonder why
there’s so much moralizing in our mags. They take great pains to
point out that comics are supposed to be escapist reading and
nothing more. But somehow, I can’t see it that way. It seems to
me that a story without a message, however subliminal, is like a
man without a soul. In fact, even the most escapist literature
of all – old time fairy tales and heroic legends – contained
moral and philosophical points of view. At every college campus
where I may speak, there’s as much discussion of war and peace,
civil rights, and the so-called youth rebellion as there is of
our Marvel mags per se. None of us lives in a vacuum – none of
us is untouched by the everyday events around us – events which
shape our stories just as they shape our lives. Sure our tales
can be called escapist – but just because something’s for fun,
doesn’t mean we have to blanket our brains as we read it!
Excelsior!
-- Stan Lee: Stan's Soapbox column

Followup-to: rec.arts.movies.current-films,rec.arts.comics.misc
--
/* * * Otto J. Makela <o...@iki.fi> * * * * * * * * * */
/* Phone: +358 40 765 5772, ICBM: N 60 10' E 24 55' */