Dave Chappelle Responds After His Old High School Disinvites Him From Speaking

Ubiquitous

Nov 19, 2021, 1:12:51 PM11/19/21
Last week, Politico reported that comedian Dave Chappelle's old high school,
the Duke Ellington School of the Arts in Georgetown, quietly canceled a
fundraiser featuring "The Closer" comedian after students complained about
jokes he made regarding transgender individuals.

Two students told Politico that a "heated debate" occurred between students
and faculty when they were told to help put together an exhibition honoring
Chappelle the day of the fundraiser. The students said they were
uncomfortable since so many classmates claimed to be LGBTQ.

Hours later, Politico reported that the school reinstated the event but at a
future date, vowing to use the controversy as a "teachable moment."

"We recognize that not everyone will accept or welcome a particular artist's
point of view, product or craft, but reject the notion that a `cancel
culture' is a healthy or constructive means to teach our students how society
should balance creative freedom with protecting the right and dignity of all
of its members," the school said, according to Politico.

The school said it would hold "listening sessions" with students as well as
expand social studies to include "content related to political activism,
civic engagement, arts activism, and the intersections of race, gender, and
sexuality."

At the time, Chappelle spokesperson Carla Sims said that delaying the event
was due to Chappelle's team and the school "working on a way to make sure the
students understand what's in the special."

Last Friday, after a screening of his documentary "Untitled," Chappelle joked
about his old high school disinviting him.

"They're canceling stuff I didn't even want to do," Chappelle said, according
to the IndyStar. "If you think you're mad at me - remember, I didn't
disinvite you from anything."

Also during a 15-minute set following the screening in Indianapolis, Indiana,
Chappelle invited audience members to engage with transgender individuals on
his behalf.

"If anyone says trans people are angry at me, they are wrong," Chappelle
said. "And if you see [a trans person], buy them a coffee or lipstick or
whatever they want and tell them Dave Chappelle sent you."

The manufactured controversy surrounding Chappelle stems from jokes he made
during his latest comedy special, "The Closer."

The Washington Examiner reported on some of Chappelle's jokes in his latest
Netflix special [Warning: language]:

"Gender is a fact," Chappelle says , according to a Daily Beast report
of his sixth special on the streaming platform. "Every human being in
this room, every human being on Earth, had to pass through the legs
of a woman to be on Earth. That is a fact. Now, I am not saying that
to say trans women aren't women, I am just saying that those p*****s
that they got . you know what I mean? I'm not saying it's not p***y,
but it's Beyond P***y or Impossible P***y."

The special, which was panned by critics but loved by audiences, caused
outrage among a small group of Netflix employees, who staged a walkout and
protest against Chappelle. Netflix co-CEO Ted Sarandos initially defended the
streaming service's decision to keep the special. Sarandos then doubled down
on Chappelle before Netflix fired the employee who organized the walkout.

--
Let's go Brandon!