An unforgivable vibe-infringement

Matt Walsh

Oct 10, 2021, 5:48:24 PM10/10/21
The fallout continues from Dave Chapelle’s newest Netflix comedy
special in which he dared to crack one or two jokes at the expense of
the LGBT Alphabet Squad. Yesterday, Jaclyn Moore, the show runner for
Netflix’s anti-white series “Dear White People,” announced that he (who
identifies as a she) will be boycotting the network. It is somewhat
beside the point but I must make note of the fascinating intersectional
gymnastics happening with this story. Moore, a white man who identifies
as a woman, makes an anti-white show about black people and is now
boycotting a black man for telling jokes about trans people. Oh the
tangled webs intersectionality weaves.

Here’s more from Variety:

"Jaclyn Moore has always considered Dave Chappelle one of her “comic
heroes.”

“His shadow is huge,” says Moore, who was a writer and showrunner on
Netflix’s “Dear White People.”

“He’s a brilliant goofy comedian, he’s brilliant as a political
comedian. He has been brilliant for so so long, but I also don’t think
because you’ve been brilliant means that you’re always brilliant.”

“After the Chappelle special, I can’t do this anymore. I won’t work
for @netflix again as long as they keep promoting and profiting from
dangerous transphobic content,” she wrote on Instagram. She also
tweeted, “I love so many of the people I’ve worked with at Netflix.
Brilliant people and executives who have been collaborative and fought
for important art….But I’ve been thrown against walls because, “I’m not
a ‘real’ woman.” I’ve had beer bottles thrown at me. So, @netflix, I’m
done.”

The LGBT advocacy group GLAAD had a similar perspective, tweeting:
“Dave Chappelle’s brand has become synonymous with ridiculing trans
people and other marginalized communities. Negative reviews and viewers
loudly condemning his latest special is a message to the industry that
audiences don’t support platforming anti-LGBTQ diatribes. We agree.”

Many other left wing groups and media outlets have joined the
condemnation chorus. All seem to agree that Chappelle’s great sin is
that he “attacked” a “marginalized community” by standing on stage and
uttering inflammatory statements like “gender is a fact” and “only
women can give birth.” The latter is a paraphrase, but that’s the point
he was trying to make. Imagine if, in the year 2000, you could have
looked into a crystal ball and seen that the most controversial and
hotly debated comedy special 21 years in the future would feature a
first grade biology lesson. You’d probably assume that society had lost
its mind. And your assumption would be correct.

Speaking of the year 2000, Chapelle was around back then, cracking all
kinds of jokes about all different groups of people. He’s been doing
this for decades. Most of the people offended by Chapelle’s recent work
have never been offended by any of the jokes he has ever told about any
other group. Should the Alphabet Squad really be exempt from all
mockery? Should they be the one single group that nobody ever teases?
The answer, according to Chappelle’s critics, is yes.

I don’t remember who first pointed out that you can tell who holds the
power in any society based on who you are not allowed to make fun of.
Whoever it was, they were right. The reason you can criticize everyone
except LGBT people is that they hold the cultural power. Corporations,
the media, academia, government, the school system, Hollywood — all bow
in submission to the LGBT community. All compete for the respect and
affection of LGBT people. All are largely run by the LGBT lobby.

We are told that LGBT people are marginalized. But “marginalized” means
that someone or some group is being treated as insignificant or
peripheral. This is precisely the opposite of how LGBT people are
treated in our culture. Their influence, significance, and power are
wildly disproportionate relative to their numbers. And those numbers
continue to grow exponentially because so many people who are not LGBT
wish to be included under its trendy and privileged umbrella.

The marginalized people are not those offended by Chappelle’s
assertions of basic biological reality. The marginalized ones are those
who agree with Chappelle, and are relieved to hear these fundamental
truths spoken in public, but are too afraid to speak it themselves.

Tweet Of The Week

Twitter has rolled out a brand new warning system that will alert you
as to the “vibe” of a conversation before you choose to participate in
it. The prompts, attached to those tweets with problematic vibes, will
instruct users to “communicate with respect,” and “check the facts,”
and always tolerate “diverse perspectives.” Of course, all of this can
be roughly translated as “don’t be a conservative,” and “don’t be a
conservative,” and “don’t be a conservative.” The Big Tech companies
have found many euphemisms for the specific political persuasion they
wish to suppress — “misinformation,” “hate speech,” and now “bad vibes”
— but the real meaning remains clear.