Film Scanner Advice

1 view

Dallas

Dec 26, 2011, 5:20:34 PM12/26/11

I have several thousand slides collected over a lifetime, I would like
nice scans of at least the best ones. I purchased a non-focusing flat
bed scanner 4 years ago and all the scans come out with a very
noticeable lack of focus. Obviously, I'd like to replace it with a
dedicated slide scanner that can do a decent job.

In a perfect world I'll love a Nikon CoolScan LS- 5000 ED with the
SF210 feeder - but it looks like it would take about $3 grand to get
one on eBay. I find that pretty hard to swallow.

I'm guessing the multitudes of no-name, toaster sized $80 scanners that
are all over the market are junk?

Is there something in the $400 price range that can do a nice job?
(Clearly, I'd like it to have at lease a 5 slide automatic carrier.)

The other option I was considering was to just bite the bullet and get
the Nikon CoolScan LS- 5000 ED with the SF210 feeder, scan all 5000
slides and when I was finished, put it back on eBay and get my money
back. (These things don't seem to lose any value.)

Ideas? Comments?

--
Dallas

Alan Browne

Dec 26, 2011, 5:58:33 PM12/26/11
On 2011-12-26 17:20 , Dallas wrote:

> I have several thousand slides collected over a lifetime, I would like
> nice scans of at least the best ones. I purchased a non-focusing flat
> bed scanner 4 years ago and all the scans come out with a very
> noticeable lack of focus. Obviously, I'd like to replace it with a
> dedicated slide scanner that can do a decent job.

The Epson's have a great rep for flatbed transparency work. Model "700"
(plus a letter or 2) comes to mind.

> In a perfect world I'll love a Nikon CoolScan LS- 5000 ED with the
> SF210 feeder - but it looks like it would take about $3 grand to get
> one on eBay. I find that pretty hard to swallow.

The 5000ED was $1150, new, from B&H in the winter 2010 catalog. Used
they should be less, unless there is such a dearth that they are hard to
get.

I see the used one on ebay at 0 bids opening at $1800 with a Buy-it-now
of $2500. Ridiculous.

Shop around some more.

> I'm guessing the multitudes of no-name, toaster sized $80 scanners that
> are all over the market are junk?

From what I've heard/read they are crap.

> Is there something in the $400 price range that can do a nice job?
> (Clearly, I'd like it to have at lease a 5 slide automatic carrier.)

Used (more than $400 but less than $1000).

The Nikon Coolscan-5000ED.
Minolta Dimage Scan 5400 (first version if possible - more reliable)

> The other option I was considering was to just bite the bullet and get
> the Nikon CoolScan LS- 5000 ED with the SF210 feeder, scan all 5000
> slides and when I was finished, put it back on eBay and get my money
> back. (These things don't seem to lose any value.)

Good idea, but you'll take a haircut. I think the price you note above
is way over.

I bought the Minolta 5400 for $1000+tax, scanned something around 10,000
slides/negatives. Sold it for $500 a couple years later and bought a
9000ED.

--
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty."
Douglas Adams - (Could have been a GPS engineer).

Charles E. Hardwidge

Dec 26, 2011, 6:29:44 PM12/26/11

> I have several thousand slides collected over a lifetime, I would like
> nice scans of at least the best ones. I purchased a non-focusing flat
> bed scanner 4 years ago and all the scans come out with a very
> noticeable lack of focus. Obviously, I'd like to replace it with a
> dedicated slide scanner that can do a decent job.

[...]

> The other option I was considering was to just bite the bullet and get
> the Nikon CoolScan LS- 5000 ED with the SF210 feeder, scan all 5000
> slides and when I was finished, put it back on eBay and get my money
> back. (These things don't seem to lose any value.)

If you can take the hit the Nikon & feeder might produce better quality with
less hassle and as you say doesn't lose value. Might even be worth losing
$300 or whatever a mid-range scanner would cost you off the resale price for
what may essentially be a one time job.

5000 is a lot of slides. Without a feeder I'd be bored shitless and that
doesn't count how long it would take to feed slides by hand.

It's going to be a shrinking market but would there be scope for you
providing a rental and/or scan service?

--
Charles E. Hardwidge

Garry Douglas

Dec 27, 2011, 5:57:45 AM12/27/11
I've been looking at the Plustek OpticFilm 7600i SE. Gets consistently
good reviews.

http://plustek.com/uk/products/opticfilm-series/introduction.html

Sells for about £230 over here so about $360.

Chemiker

Dec 27, 2011, 4:45:59 PM12/27/11
On Mon, 26 Dec 2011 16:20:34 -0600, "Dallas"
<Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote:

I was in the same situation. I would up going with the Plustek
OpticFilm 7600, which was in my price range, and I've been pretty well
satisfied with it. Having said that, I would add that I've heard
pretty good things about the Epson Perfection 700-750 models, which
will also do MF and LF scans. The Plustek is 35mm only.

The unit comes with Silverfast software, but I use VueScan instead.

HTH

Alex

Chemiker

Dec 27, 2011, 4:55:33 PM12/27/11
I use that scanner.

It isn't bad for the casual user and much better than those things in
the under $100 price range. It is manual feed and takes both mounted
and unmounted media. The high resolution they claim is not really a
consideration because you can scan in the 3600-4800 range and get
results that are almost indistinguishable from the hi-res scans.
Anyway, slide crispness deteriorates over the years, along with color
shift, so there's really nothing to be gained by scanning at 7600
lines. PS users may feel that hi-res scans make post scan treatment
easier, but I'm not qualified to deal with that issue. For saving
images for family/genealogy purposes, I consider the Plustek a decent
choice for 35mm. It doesn't break the bank.

Noons

Dec 27, 2011, 6:10:19 PM12/27/11
On Dec 27, 9:20 am, "Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote:

> nice scans of at least the best ones.   I purchased a non-focusing flat
> bed scanner 4 years ago and all the scans come out with a very
> noticeable lack of focus.

Aye... So many have fallen (myself included) for the flatbed scanner
"high quality scanning" nonsense of a few years ago that nowadays it's
hard to find a good dedicated scanner...

> In a perfect world I'll love a Nikon CoolScan LS- 5000 ED with the
> SF210 feeder - but it looks like it would take about $3 grand to get
> one on eBay.  I find that pretty hard to swallow.

Coolscan V ED is also very good and a LOT cheaper in ebay in this day
and age of insane prices for Nikon film scanners. The snag is that you
need to insert each slide by hand: the feeder doesn't work with this
one, AFAIK.

> I'm guessing the multitudes of no-name, toaster sized $80 scanners that
> are all over the market are junk?

Total, unadulterated junk, They are capitalizing on claims by idiotic
incompetents that any 5MPixel scan of film is plenty enough.

> Is there something in the $400 price range that can do a nice job?
> (Clearly, I'd like it to have at lease a 5 slide automatic carrier.)

At that price level, don't expect too much automation: that's what you
pay the extra for.
The Opticfilm suggested by Chemiker is not a bad option and quality of
scan is reasonable to very good. Make sure you select the model with
the Infrared dust reduction.

And use vuescan software: it's cheap and excellent.

Another option is this:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/487000-REG/Pacific_Image_7250PRO3_PrimeFilm_7250Pro3_Film_Scanner.html
Very sharp, with ir dust reduction. The only problem is the drivers
and software that come with it absolutely suck. Only option to use it
properly is vuescan.

Don't waste time with Minoltas: they stopped being made ages ago, most
are tired old units and parts and repair is almost impossible to
source.
Nikon's Coolscans stopped being made a year or so ago, parts and
repair are still easy to find.

> The other option I was considering was to just bite the bullet and get
> the Nikon CoolScan LS- 5000 ED with the SF210 feeder, scan all 5000
> slides and when I was finished, put it back on eBay and get my money
> back.  (These things don't seem to lose any value.)

The way things are going with film scanners in ebay, I wouldn't be
surprised if this paid off in the long run! Still, it's a risk...

GMAN

Dec 28, 2011, 12:30:34 PM12/28/11
I trreuly have had good results with my Primefilm PF7250u Scanner i got from
ebay a while back. It does Digital Ice3.

Very happy with it.

http://www.adorama.com/IPIPF7250U.html

Dallas

Feb 9, 2012, 6:09:36 PM2/9/12

Just wanted to say thanks to the respondents...

--
Dallas