S22 Ultra vs iPhone 13 pro max

1 view

Nil

Mar 26, 2022, 9:09:08 PM3/26/22
https://markellisreviews.com/iphone-13-pro-max-or-galaxy-s22-ultra-big-smartphone-shootout>.

1
The S22 Ultra's front-facing camera is immediately sharper, if a little
noisier than the iPhone's effort.

My skin tone also looks more natural and there's a tiny bit more bokeh that
softens the background just enough.

2
Both cameras are capable of macro photography, which is a wonderful addition
and useful in far more instances than just super close-ups.

3
The S22 Ultra is, again, sharper than the iPhone, although it appears to
feature more distortion in the corners of the image.

This comparison also reveals the first example of the differing white
balance choices between the two phones.
The S22 is far warmer than the iPhone, although slightly less accurate as a
result.

4
In the photo below of Eddie, we see the true result of that sharp Samsung
lens.

The S22 Ultra isn't over-sharpening these images as far as I'm concerned;
they just 'pop' far more than the iPhone's photos.

Samsung has also done a much better job of balancing the highlights and
shadows, leaving the iPhone snap of Eddie a rather dark, underwhelming mess.

5
This next one really took me by surprise.

This is an incredibly poor effort on the iPhone's part.
Quite why it has turned the entire image so horribly blue is anyone's guess,
but it is a dreadful choice of white balance.

The S22 Ultra, on the other hand, has nailed the white balance and provided
just enough saturation to bring those colours out without it being jarring.

6
Lastly, portrait mode.

There's no contest here.
Both images were shot at 3x, handheld.

The S22 Ultra absolutely nails what is a relatively tricky subject, while
the iPhone− well - just look at it.

Once again, it has screwed up the white balance and doesn't offer anywhere
near the edge detection displayed on the S22 Ultra.

1 - 6
When it comes to photography, the winner for me is the Samsung - big time.

It is a far better camera than the iPhone 13 Pro Max.
Embarrassingly so, at times.

I expected more from the big boy iPhone.