Moksha or Liberation

Arindam Banerjee

Sep 17, 2022, 9:21:54 AMSep 17
Bhakti means primarily faith, leading to devotion, adoration, love, etc.
Bhakti yoga means addition (that is yoga) of bhakti to the individual's character, by self, as a means of liberation from the cycle of birth and death, thus to mingle with one's favourite divine.
It is the simplest method of liberation.
Other more difficult or time-consuming methods for liberation are
gyana-yoga (addition of true knowledge)
raja-yoga (addition of kingly qualities)
hatha-yoga (addition of mental and physical exercises, and this is what popularly is understood as yoga).

There is also biyoga (subtraction).
The biyoga of vices and failings from the personality is equally important as doing the yogas above.

Doing both yoga and biyoga, thus, serenity is achieved and from that good action. From good action comes moksha or liberation from the cycle of births and deaths, with unity with one's chosen godhead or spiritual independence - the latter leading to voluntary mortality out of goodwill.

Cheers,
Arindam Banerjee

Jeffrey Rubard

Sep 17, 2022, 5:54:20 PMSep 17
So yoga is 'a system of principles of conduct and spiritual exercises', rather than a 'lighter' method of calisthenics?
Am I right about this?

Arindam Banerjee

Sep 17, 2022, 9:45:18 PMSep 17
It means addition, simply.
> Am I right about this?
No.

Jeffrey Rubard

Sep 18, 2022, 6:10:07 PMSep 18
You mean like the successor function n', n+1?

> > Am I right about this?

> No.

Okay, that's a little "vague"...

Arindam Banerjee

Sep 18, 2022, 10:43:33 PMSep 18
More like n() takes the value n()+x(), where x() = bhakti, gyana, raja or hatha or some combination of all and n() is the initial state.
It thus means addition of some quality.
Like bhakti (faith, devotion, etc.)
Let us say you do not have bhakti. You are a dry creature, but not happy to remain so.
Then you think you need to have bhakti to get more from life.
For that you do yoga, or addition relating to same. Dedicate thought and action for your goal, that is, to gain bhakti.
When you are successful, with or without a guru, or direct blessing from the adored, you have added to what you were.
> > > Am I right about this?
Not quite, for n=n+1 means more of the same thing. Like wanting a billion when you have a million. You remain the same thingy then, what.

> > No.
> Okay, that's a little "vague"...
Hope I have made it clear.
Cheers,
Arindam Banerjee

Jeffrey Rubard

Sep 19, 2022, 8:39:59 PMSep 19
This reads like "garbage".

Arindam Banerjee

Sep 21, 2022, 3:43:53 PMSep 21
As you like it.

tooly

Oct 2, 2022, 11:00:46 PMOct 2
Not understanding buy as a 'jest', it reminds me of another Jorden Peterson discussion. I've been viewing his lectures, discussions, and interviews as of late.
I'll skip to the point here for brevity...but a question comes to mind about materialism versus spirit? While science regards the material, the spirtual realm [if there even is such a thing] has taken as decided back seat in the world would be arguably 'diminished' to the overall human psyche.

Some of us [me included] think [and feel] this has become a crisis. There may or may not be duality about our entity, but thought, in an of itself, surely can alter the general proclivity for experience while alive. Nihilism [which Peterson mentions quite often] is surely a hindrance to the great potentials of human possibility. How this relates to Bhakti, not really sure; except it sounds like 'positive thinking' to accelerate a more positive mindscape by which one might experience life. Bhakti, positive thinking, spirituality...any number of concepts and methodologies...all taking a deep hit from our modern world's embrace of materialism to explain 'everything'.

But what about 'meaning'? Purpose? Peterson speaks to these questions also, from a most intellectual viewpoint that carries weight to those aspiring to such intellectualism.

If a spiritual context to life does not exist, it leaves...well, the balloon deflated, the car out of gas, the derived energies our brains [see materialism] offer as POTENTIAL...lost [mostly]. It also severely cripples our humanity considering that most law and morality comes by way of 'belief' systems anchored to higher authority [over humans].

I don't like TikTok, but there is something captivating about short signets, and lately, there seems to be plethora of 'animal kingdom' clips going about...showing the horrible moments of when prey is captured by predators [of one sort or another, from the big cats to crocodiles to hyenas and bears...showing that 'killing' moment when they succeed in getting prey]. I mention this, only as it reminds one of the underlying nature on this planet and how so terrible 'food chains' are. As humans, we have elevated ourselves, at least to some degree, 'out' of the terribleness [except for excerpts of war and other dangerous times]...and we exist upon what we call our HUMANITY [under systems of law, order, and a reach for what we see as justice]. Under such, we have grown what we call 'civilization', and our 'civilized' condition, based upon morals 'emerged' from...yes, our BELIEF systems [and the energies derived based on specific thought that has energized our nervous systems to aspire to that morality...mostly an reasoning to expand our nuturing capacity as mammals to 'evolve' EMPATHY].

As we lose those REASONS...found in our old world BELIEF systems...it creates this quandry of 'nihilism'...an embrace of 'nothing from nothingness' mindset that re-invites us back into that 'terribleness' of the underlying world at hand and the horrible food chains of Predator and Prey. Only...armed with our intelligence, our capacity for horror is far greater than the simple mindedness of big cats, hyenas, or crocodiles.

It's a problem. So far our civilized condition continues to win out. So far.

Arindam Banerjee

Oct 3, 2022, 7:50:37 AMOct 3
The Western world has become extremely stupid. Started with Reagan. It was said of him that you could wade in his deepest thoughts and not get your ankles wet.

Jeffrey Rubard

Oct 3, 2022, 5:08:59 PMOct 3
Ehh, whatever.