Misuses of Psychology

Ilya Shambat

Jan 31, 2023, 10:28:32 PM1/31/23
Knowledge is valuable; however knowledge can be used for many wrong things. That is especially the case with psychological knowledge. The more you know about people, the more adept you become at controlling and manipulating people, and this has not been lost on all sorts of villains.

For example there was Bosnian Serb leader Radovan Karadzic. He was a psychologist, and he designed the policy of raping every Bosnian female age 4 to 70. Apparently that was meant to break the back of the Bosnian resistance. What he did was absolutely horrendous, and it is an embarrassment to psychology that it got used for such ends.

What is the solution when there is knowledge that is being used for wrong? It is to likewise arm oneself with that knowledge, so that one can stand up to people who misuse it. I knew a woman who was telling me that me wanting knowledge was cover for me wanting power. There is a problem with that. People already have that knowledge. By her logic, they have the power. And when faced with people having such power and using it for all sorts of wrongdoing, I have the right to arm myself with knowledge as well.

The psychological knowledge is already there, being used for all sorts of wrong things, and there is nothing that can be done about it. One can however do something to improve the lot of oneself and people one cares about. It is to arm himself with that knowledge, so that he can stand up to wrongdoers. I heartily recommend for more people to study psychology. That way more people will be able to stand up for themselves and their constituents, and the monopoly on knowledge by wrongdoers will be overcome.