Peace of Mind (Jim Fidler's new single)

David Dalton

Nov 9, 2023, 1:06:14 AM11/9/23
Newfoundland singer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist, and
producer Jim Fidler is set to release his new rock concept
album on December 8. I will post a review of the album
and details on the virtual launch a little closer to the date.

But for now, the first single off the album, Peace of Mind,
has just been released. It is a tapestry of sound, including
some stellar sax work from guest Rory Hoffman, and
with thought-provoking lyrics. It can be streamed for
free at https://jimfidler.com/new-single/ but if you like
it I recommend you buy it directly from the bottom of
that website for CAN$0.99 (US$0.72, 0.67 Euro, 0.58 pound)
to support the artist.

"Cracklin' Rosie, make me a smile/Girl, if it lasts for an hour, that's
alright/'Cause we got all night/To set the world right" (Neil Diamond)

one

Nov 9, 2023, 7:09:54 AM11/9/23
David wrote:

> ... for now, the first single off the album, Peace of Mind,
>has just been released. ... ... ...

The peace of mind that is talked about, or sung in song,
may differ from a peace that goes without saying
without words and without a sound.

Being involved Being involves its Self
as it were and forgets how to be
a Self who plays all parts for
getting to be involves me
at times all too much.

How to return, I don't know if Jim's lyrics are
able to say and how well they may work
when he is playing the songs he wrote.

- thanks! Cheers!

aye

Nov 9, 2023, 7:18:40 AM11/9/23
Searching for peace of mind in the Zhuangzi, peace,
as a word appears to appear 25 times at the link below.

https://terebess.hu/english/tao/Zhuangzi-Burton-Watson.pdf

<< Zhuangzi, though he
writes in prose, uses words in the manner of a poet,
particularly in the lyrical descriptions of the Way or the
Daoist sage, where meaning often takes second place to
sound and emotive force. In the broader sense of the word,
his work is in fact one of the greatest poems of ancient
China. For this reason, it seems to me particularly
important to stick as closely as possible to the precise
wording and imagery of the Chinese. For example, in
section 5 there is a passage in which Confucius is pictured
discussing the need to harmonize with and delight in all the
manifold ups and downs of human existence, to “master
them and never be at a loss for joy,” adding that one should
“make it be spring with everything.” This last phrase,
literally, “with things make spring,” is an example of the
highly poetic language that Zhuangzi employs in such
passages and for which he is justly admired. >>

>- thanks! Cheers!

- Cheers!

one

Nov 9, 2023, 7:22:02 AM11/9/23
aye wrote:

>Searching for peace of mind in the Zhuangzi, peace,
>as a word appears to appear 25 times at the link below.
>
>https://terebess.hu/english/tao/Zhuangzi-Burton-Watson.pdf

<< ... Now there’s Buliang Yi — he
has the talent of a sage but not the Way of a sage,
whereas I have the Way of a sage but not the talent of a sage.
I thought I would try to teach him and see if I could really get
anywhere near to making him a sage. It’s easier to explain the Way
of a sage to someone who has the talent of a sage, you know.
So I began ... ... ... ...

After he had put life outside himself,
he was able to achieve the brightness of dawn, and when he
had achieved the brightness of dawn, he could see his own
aloneness. After he had managed to see his own aloneness,
he could do away with past and present, and after he had
done away with past and present, he was able to enter where
there is no life and no death. That which kills life does not
die; that which gives life to life does not live. This is the
kind of thing it is: there’s nothing it doesn’t send off,
nothing it doesn’t welcome, nothing it doesn’t destroy,
nothing it doesn’t complete. Its name is Peace-in-Strife.
After the strife, it attains completion.” >>

one

Nov 9, 2023, 8:31:34 AM11/9/23

>>Searching for peace of mind in the Zhuangzi, peace,
>>as a word appears to appear 25 times at the link below.
>>
>>https://terebess.hu/english/tao/Zhuangzi-Burton-Watson.pdf

A third instance of the word, peace, in the Zhuangzi
appears within an other word, peacefully.

<< Now, having had the audacity
to take on human form once, if I should say,
‘I don’t want to be anything but a man! Nothing but a man!’
the Creator would surely regard me as a most inauspicious
sort of person. So now I think of heaven and earth as
a great furnace, and the Creator as a skilled smith.
Where could he send me that would not be
all right? I will go off to sleep peacefully,
and then with a start,
I will wake up.” >>

Lots of potential interpretations there.
Reincarnation, prehaps. A creator who is
the Creator who creates people and things.

One wonders about other translations.

- Cheers!

one

Nov 9, 2023, 8:35:14 AM11/9/23
one wondered:
>> one found:
http://www.daoisopen.com/ZZ6.html

<< Zi Lai said:
"When a father and mother produce a child, east, west, south and north
converge at a point that sets the destiny he must follow. When those
multiple energies within a person converge, he's directed by them as
though they were his father and mother. They've brought me close to
death, and if I try to prevent it then I'm being foolhardy. How silly
to look at this as some sort of crime that's been committed! The great
clump of earth (the world) is loaded down with my physical form,
struggles to keep me alive, cradles me in my old age, and provides a
place to rest my body after I die. Therefore, that which is good at
keeping me alive will also be good at providing a place for me to die.
Now if a great blacksmith was pounding some metal, and the metal
jumped up at him and said: 'I absolutely must be made into Mo Ye (a
famous ancient Chinese double edged sword)', the blacksmith would
think that piece of metal was an ill omen. Now, if I were ever to try
to go against the shape my form has taken and say: 'Make me a whole
person, nothing but a whole person', then Mother Nature would think
that this person was an ill omen. Now, if the universe is like one
great big oven, and Mother Nature is like a master blacksmith, where
is it that we shouldn't go? As naturally as we fall into a sound
sleep, we just as naturally suddenly wake up." >>

Looks to be a duality of sorts!

- Cheers!

one

Nov 9, 2023, 2:44:59 PM11/9/23

>one wondered:
>>> one found:

>>A third instance of the word, peace, in the Zhuangzi
>>appears within an other word, peacefully.

Peaceful, if not peacefully, appears to appear ten times.
Doing the mathematics, that leaves 15 time for peace to have a chance.

A passage in the Zz suggests how doing good, or attempting to do good
might well be a root of how bad and wrong begin to sprout and grow.

<< One of Robber Zhi’s followers once asked Zhi,
“Does the thief, too, have a Way?”

Zhi replied, “How could he get anywhere if he didn’t
have a Way? Making shrewd guesses as to how much booty
is stashed away in the room is sageliness; being the first
one in is bravery; being the last one out is righteousness;
knowing whether or not the job can be pulled off is
wisdom; dividing up the loot fairly is benevolence. No one
in the world ever succeeded in becoming a great thief if he
didn’t have all five!”

From this, we can see that the good man must acquire
the Way of the sage before he can distinguish himself, and
Robber Zhi must acquire the Way of the sage before he can
practice his profession. But good men in the world are few,
and bad men many, so in fact the sage brings little benefit
to the world but much harm. Thus it is said, “When the lips
are gone, the teeth are cold; when the wine of Lu is thin,
Handan is besieged.” And when the sage is born, the great
thief appears.

Cudgel and cane the sages, and let the thieves and
bandits go their way; then the world will at last be well
ordered! If the stream dries up, the valley will be empty; if
the hills wash away, the deep pools will be filled up.

And if the sage is dead and gone, then
no more great thieves will arise.

The world will then be peaceful and free of fuss.

But until the sage is dead, great thieves will never cease
to appear, and if you pile on more sages in hopes of
bringing the world to order, you will only be piling up more
profit for Robber Zhi. Fashion pecks and bushels for
people to measure by, and they will steal by peck and
bushel. Fashion scales and balances for people to weigh
by, and they will steal by scale and balance. Fashion tallies
and seals to ensure trustworthiness, and people will steal
with tallies and seals. Fashion benevolence and
righteousness to reform people, and they will steal with
benevolence and righteousness. How do I know this is so?

He who steals a belt buckle pays with his life; he who steals
a state gets to be a feudal lord—and we all know that
benevolence and righteousness are to be found at the gates
of the feudal lords. Is this not a case of stealing
benevolence and righteousness and the wisdom of the
sages? So men go racing in the footsteps of the great
thieves, aiming for the rank of feudal lord, stealing
benevolence and righteousness and taking for themselves
all the profits of peck and bushel, scale and balance, tally
and seal. Though you try to lure them aside with rewards of
official carriages and caps of state, you cannot move them;
though you threaten them with the executioner’s ax, you
cannot deter them. This piling up of profits for Robber Zhi
to the point where nothing can deter him—this is all the
fault of the sage! >>

Reminds one of whether David's Dao, aka Way, would
succeed if ever he were to be capable of doing his doings.

- thanks! Cheers!

aye

Nov 9, 2023, 2:48:50 PM11/9/23

Speaking of life and death, a passage passes for a spell.

<< Zhuangzi’s wife died.
When Huizi went to convey his condolences, he found Zhuangzi
sitting with his legs sprawled out, pounding on a tub and singing.

“You lived with her, she brought up your children and grew old,”
said Huizi. “It should be enough simply not to weep at her death.
But pounding on a tub and singing—this is going too far,
isn’t it?”

Zhuangzi said, “You’re wrong.
When she first died, do you think I didn’t grieve like anyone else?

But I looked back to her beginning and the time before she was born.

Not only the time before she was born, but the time before
she had a body. Not only the time before she had a body, but
the time before she had a spirit.

In the midst of the jumble
of wonder and mystery, a change took place and she had a
spirit. Another change and she had a body. Another change
and she was born.

Now there’s been another change and
she’s dead. It’s just like the progression of the four
seasons: spring, summer, fall, winter.

“Now she’s going to lie down peacefully in a vast room.
If I were to follow after her bawling and sobbing, it would
show that I don’t understand anything about fate.
So I stopped.” >>

- thanks! aye. Cheers!

who

Nov 9, 2023, 5:14:11 PM11/9/23

Searching for peace is able to be to find forms
and yet to say which if any form is the Form
may pertain to how DDJ 1.1 articulates.

<< “But,” said Never-Enough, “there is no advantage that
riches cannot bring to a man—the ultimate in beauty, the
heights of power, things that the Perfect Man cannot attain
to, that the worthy man can never acquire.

They buy the strength and daring of other men
that make one awesome and powerful; they purchase
the knowledge and schemes of other men that make one
wise and well informed; they borrow the virtue of other men
that make one a man of worth and goodness.

With no kingdom to reign over,
the rich man commands as much respect as a ruler or a father.

Beautiful sounds and colors, rich flavors, power and
authority—a man need not send his mind to school before
it will delight in them, need not train his body before it will
find peace in them.

What to desire, what to hate, what to
seek, what to avoid—no one needs a teacher in these
matters; they pertain to the inborn nature of man.

Don’t think this applies only to me. Where is there a man
in the whole world who would be willing to give them up?”

Sense-of-Harmony said, “When the wise man goes ... >>

- thanks! Cheers!

one

Nov 9, 2023, 5:18:19 PM11/9/23

Peace is a curious word for one to seek
given: the Zhuangzi, as a book.

<< “Let me hear about your three swords,” said the king. ... >>

- tis a funny Ting! Thanks! Cheers!

David Dalton

Nov 10, 2023, 11:29:14 PM11/10/23
On Nov 9, 2023, David Dalton wrote
(in article<0001HW.2AFCAE4C00...@news.eternal-september.org>):

> Newfoundland singer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist, and
> producer Jim Fidler is set to release his new rock concept
> album on December 8. I will post a review of the album
> and details on the virtual launch a little closer to the date.
>
> But for now, the first single off the album, Peace of Mind,
> has just been released. It is a tapestry of sound, including
> some stellar sax work from guest Rory Hoffman, and
> with thought-provoking lyrics. It can be streamed for
> free at https://jimfidler.com/new-single/ but if you like
> it I recommend you buy it directly from the bottom of
> that website for CAN$0.99 (US$0.72, 0.67 Euro, 0.58 pound)
> to support the artist.

Jim’s bio is at https://jimfidler.com/about-jim/ .

"But once there was a darkness, deep and endless night; You gave
me everything you had, oh you gave me light" (Sarah McLachlan)

David Dalton

Nov 21, 2023, 1:27:47 AM11/21/23
On Nov 11, 2023, David Dalton wrote
(in article<0001HW.2AFF3A1600...@news.eternal-september.org>):

> On Nov 9, 2023, David Dalton wrote
> (in article<0001HW.2AFCAE4C00...@news.eternal-september.org>):
>
> > Newfoundland singer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist, and
> > producer Jim Fidler is set to release his new rock concept
> > album on December 8. I will post a review of the album
> > and details on the virtual launch a little closer to the date.
> >
> > But for now, the first single off the album, Peace of Mind,
> > has just been released. It is a tapestry of sound, including
> > some stellar sax work from guest Rory Hoffman, and
> > with thought-provoking lyrics. It can be streamed for
> > free at https://jimfidler.com/new-single/ but if you like
> > it I recommend you buy it directly from the bottom of
> > that website for CAN$0.99 (US$0.72, 0.67 Euro, 0.58 pound)
> > to support the artist.
>
> Jim’s bio is at https://jimfidler.com/about-jim/ .

The virtual launch will be from 7--8:30 p.m. EST December 8,
or 8:30--10 p.m. Dec. 8 Newfoundland time, which is
midnight--1:30 a.m. Dec. 9 in UTC/GMT.

To get a ticket to the virtual launch visit https://jimfidler.com/ .
Tickets are CAN$30 (US$21.86, 19.95 euro, 17.45 pound)
and include access to the live stream concert, plus a signed CD
including tax and delivery (and the CD includes a lyric
booklet with some amazing graphics by Lillian Fidler).

The launch will include sets from Jim Fidler and
guests Lindsay Ferguson, Rory Hoffman, and Terry Kelly.

Jim Fidler is a musician and producer from Newfoundland, who has had a
remarkable musical journey. Jim’s career includes successful ventures like
pioneering Newfoundland’s first reggae group, Pressure Drop, and releasing
acclaimed albums like “Gypsy.” He became the first solo Newfoundland
artist to sign a European record deal. Jim’s versatility shines through
albums like “Friendly Fire” and “Midnight Rover,” blending diverse
musical influences. He also aimed to promote world peace through
cross-cultural collaborations on “Musaik, In This World”. His latest
album, “RPM, Volume II, Ten Years Later,” is set to be released on
December 8th 2023, continuing to showcase his innovative musical spirit.

Lindsay Ferguson will be joining us from her home in Switzerland. She is a
critically acclaimed Canadian singer and song writer, and an international
touring artist who’s music is regularly featured on various Canadian and
European Radio stations. Influenced as a young woman by the likes of Joni
Mitchell, Cyndi Lauper and Tracy Chapman and later in life; José Gonazalez,
Kate Bush and Gord Downie, she has come into her own style of music with a
mix of folk meets pops meets country. Compared to Adele, Lucinda Williams and
Jason Mraz, she has a unique sound which resonates deeply, creating a
profound connectedness to the listener.

Rory Hoffman is a Nashville based multi-instrumentalist. Raised on a small
ranch in North Dakota, Rory grew up recording and touring with the family
Gospel band. He started teaching himself to play guitar and piano at age 3.
By age 5 he was the drummer in the family band. He currently plays over a
dozen stringed, keyboard and wind instruments. Rory has played sax on many of
Jim's recordings including the new single 'Peace of Mind’

Terry Kelly’s enthusiasm for life and sheer determination have gained him
international recognition as an accomplished athlete; an award-winning
singer, songwriter, and entertainer; a professional speaker; and a lover of
life. As a musician this Newfoundland native has released seven full-length
recordings, resulting in seven East Coast Music Awards and nominations for
four Canadian Country Music Awards and a JUNO. Terry has shared the stage
with Symphony Orchestras, and has performed his original music in Europe,
Australia, New Zealand, and for the troops in Afghanistan. He is most
recognized for his inspirational song, “A Pittance of Time”.

"And if I shed a tear I won’t cage it; I won't fear love;
And if I feel a rage I won’t deny it; I won't fear love" (Sarah McLachlan)

David Dalton

Dec 1, 2023, 11:21:50 PM12/1/23
On Nov 21, 2023, David Dalton wrote
(in article<0001HW.2B0C856000...@news.eternal-september.org>):
I spoke with Jim and Lillian Fidler briefly tonight on Zello
and they said the virtual launch is shaping up to be a
very special event. If you are planning on attending it,
I suggest that you get your tickets as soon as possible,
preferably by December 6, to give them time to send
out the link for the livestream. However tickets won’t
go up in price after December 6.

one

Dec 2, 2023, 7:44:50 AM12/2/23
David wrote:

>I spoke with Jim and Lillian Fidler briefly tonight on Zello
>and they said the virtual launch is shaping up to be a
>very special event. If you are planning on attending it,
>I suggest that you get your tickets as soon as possible,
>preferably by December 6, to give them time to send
>out the link for the livestream. However tickets won’t
>go up in price after December 6.

A fun feature of how virtual realities work
can be how people can be virtually any
where at many times being time
beings for a spell.

Also of interest, to me of all people at least,
is how far tele-communications reach and
how to be live, a live form, virtually where
other forms of life argh is also possible.

Pictures and sounds appear.
Pictures and sounds disappear.
At times they fade having bins made.
Recorded and played back at times as wells.

From where they emerge.
What place, what mind.
To where they return.
To not mind at times.

Silence, a lack of sound.
Blind, an absence of sight.
Day and night, to touch might
be akin to smell and taste varies.

- hmmm. aum. om. ... Cheers!

David Dalton

Dec 6, 2023, 5:45:36 PM12/6/23
On Dec 2, 2023, David Dalton wrote
(in article<0001HW.2B1AE85B00...@news.eternal-september.org>):
I was wrong. Tickets will go up to CAN$40 as of Friday morning, to
encourage people to get them before then, so that Lillian Fidler won’t
have too much last minute work.

one

Dec 7, 2023, 7:57:42 AM12/7/23
David wrote:

> Tickets will go up to CAN$40 as of Friday morning,

Reminds one of a saying in the DDJ
about how a denomination or enumeration,
a Way in other words can be and at the same time
isn't always. For example CAN$40 is what it is. Yet then
again, what it's worth may well vary. Plus, a dollar
from some other geographical area or even
an odd virtual area may differ in sum
Way sewing and reaping.

Mornings are mornings all the same and all different.
Fridays are as they are yet to say any is, the Friday,
might mean it really is, the Friday. And, then again,
to say it's a type of Eternal Day of a week of a year
might mean it's a fantastic day above and beyond.

- naturally! Thanks! Cheers!

David Dalton

Dec 30, 2023, 10:46:04 PM12/30/23
On Nov 9, 2023, David Dalton wrote
(in article<0001HW.2AFCAE4C00...@news.eternal-september.org>):

> Newfoundland singer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist, and
> producer Jim Fidler is set to release his new rock concept
> album on December 8. I will post a review of the album
> and details on the virtual launch a little closer to the date.
>
> But for now, the first single off the album, Peace of Mind,
> has just been released. It is a tapestry of sound, including
> some stellar sax work from guest Rory Hoffman, and
> with thought-provoking lyrics. It can be streamed for
> free at https://jimfidler.com/new-single/ but if you like
> it I recommend you buy it directly from the bottom of
> that website for CAN$0.99 (US$0.72, 0.67 Euro, 0.58 pound)
> to support the artist.

For a short time the video of Jim Fidler's virtual launch is
available for free at

https://www.youtube.com/live/c7NVxdiBxCw?si=SD2TqRCXATn1Q-SG

It is about two hours long.

David Dalton

Dec 31, 2023, 12:14:19 AM12/31/23
On Dec 31, 2023, David Dalton wrote
(in article<0001HW.2B411B7800...@news.eternal-september.org>):

> On Nov 9, 2023, David Dalton wrote
> (in article<0001HW.2AFCAE4C00...@news.eternal-september.org>):
>
> > Newfoundland singer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist, and
> > producer Jim Fidler is set to release his new rock concept
> > album on December 8. I will post a review of the album
> > and details on the virtual launch a little closer to the date.
> >
> > But for now, the first single off the album, Peace of Mind,
> > has just been released. It is a tapestry of sound, including
> > some stellar sax work from guest Rory Hoffman, and
> > with thought-provoking lyrics. It can be streamed for
> > free at https://jimfidler.com/new-single/ but if you like
> > it I recommend you buy it directly from the bottom of
> > that website for CAN$0.99 (US$0.72, 0.67 Euro, 0.58 pound)
> > to support the artist.
>
> For a short time the video of Jim Fidler's virtual launch is
> available for free at
>
> https://www.youtube.com/live/c7NVxdiBxCw?si=SD2TqRCXATn1Q-SG
>
> It is about two hours long.

But if you have little time, the first five minutes are an album
tour, and if you like it you could buy a digital or physical CD
from https://jimfidler.com/store .