Spring 2002 Journal of Ayn Rand Studies

Chris Matthew Sciabarra

Jun 3, 2002, 1:35:13 PM6/3/02
This is to announce the publication of the Spring 2002 edition of THE
JOURNAL OF AYN RAND STUDIES (volume 3, number 2).

Our most provocative issue yet opens with an essay by one of the most
important voices in contemporary Continental thought: the Lacanian
philosopher, Slavoj Zizek. Our contents include:

===

The Actuality of Ayn Rand - Slavoj Zizek
The Trickster Icon and Objectivism - Joseph Maurone
Is Benevolent Egoism Coherent? - Michael Huemer
Goals, Values, and the Implicit: Explorations in Psychological Ontology -
Robert L. Campbell

Book Reviews

A Contest of Wills: A review of David Kelley's CONTESTED LEGACY OF AYN
RAND - Jonathan Jacobs
Having Your Say: A review of Ayn Rand's THE ART OF NONFICTION: A GUIDE FOR
WRITERS AND READERS - Stephen Cox

Discussion

Reply to Kirsti Minsaas: On the Ayn Rand CLIFFSNOTES - Andrew Bernstein
Reply to Roderick Long: Mistaken Identity: Long's Conflation of
Dialectics and Organicism - Roger E. Bissell
Reply to Roderick Long: Dialectics: A Reconstruction - Bryan Register
Reply to Roderick Long: Dialectical Libertarianism: All Benefits, No
Hazards - Chris Matthew Sciabarra
Rejoinder to Bissell, Register, and Sciabarra: Keeping Context in Context:
The Limits of Dialectics - Roderick T. Long

Abstracts
Contributor Biographies
Index to Volume 3
====

For abstracts of the articles, point your browsers to:
http://www.aynrandstudies.com/jars/v3_n2/3_2toc.asp

For contributor biographies, point your browsers to:
http://www.aynrandstudies.com/jars/v3_n2/3_2bio.asp

Stay tuned!!! Our Fall 2002 issue will include major essays on Reason &
Emotion, Epistemology, Aesthetics, Ethics, Politics, and Popular Culture!!!

Betsy Speicher

Jun 6, 2002, 9:31:37 AM6/6/02

On Mon, 3 Jun 2002, Chris Matthew Sciabarra wrote:

> This is to announce the publication of the Spring 2002 edition of THE
> JOURNAL OF AYN RAND STUDIES (volume 3, number 2).
>

> [...]

> Discussion
>
> Reply to Kirsti Minsaas: On the Ayn Rand CLIFFSNOTES - Andrew Bernstein

[...]

Dr. Bernstein asked me to post the following:

To All Sincerely Concerned With Objectivism
By Andrew Bernstein

Last year Chris Sciabarra solicited from me an article for his journal in
response to its review of the CliffsNotes on Ayn Rand's novels. All I knew
of Mr. Sciabarra was that he had written a strange book entitled Ayn Rand:
the Russian Radical, in which he argued that she was a great thinker of
the Hegelian school. Knowing nothing of his journal, I wrote several lines
in response. This was a serious error on my part. I was irresponsible in
not researching this journal and identifying its nature. In a world in
which some individuals profess to love Ayn Rand's work but make a living
criticizing it - and where some similarly profess to admire Objectivism
but insult the Ayn Rand Institute, its staff and contributors, I should
have known better.

The so-called Journal of Ayn Rand Studies is filled with writings by
people with whom I refuse to knowingly associate under any circumstances.
I deeply regret my thoughtless decision to contribute to this journal, and
hereby irrevocably repudiate any and all association with it.

In this regard, the fault is entirely my own. This journal does not hide
what it is. Its contents are available on the Internet for all to see. In
failing to do the requisite research and gather the necessary data, I
failed to properly use my mind. I must now suffer the consequences of
that.

To all who are sincerely concerned with Objectivism, I apologize, and
recommend a complete repudiation and boycott of this journal and of any
and all of Mr. Sciabarra's work.

Jack Lee

Jun 8, 2002, 8:02:16 PM6/8/02
Betsy Speicher <be...@speicher.com> wrote

> Dr. Bernstein asked me to post the following:

And Dr. Bernslime asked _me_ to post the following amended and revised
posting:

To All Who Are Sincerely Oh So Very Sincerely
Concerned With Objectivism

By Andrew Bernslime

Last year, reprobatic whim-worshiper and NYU visiting scholar Chris

Sciabarra solicited from me an article for his journal in response to
its review of the CliffsNotes on Ayn Rand's novels.

All I knew of Mr. Sciabarra was that he had written a strange book

entitled AYN RAND: THE RUSSIAN FREE RADICAL, in which he argued that
she was a great thinker of the Hegelian school and perhaps indirectly
responsible for the Holocaust.

Knowing nothing of his journal except that it was edited by a person
who thought Rand had caused the Holocaust, I innocently wrote several
lines in response. Many of these lines were not even fully
grammatical, let alone logical, so I don't know as how I can be said
as to have sanctioned anything or whatever, or at least that is how I
felt at first.

But it has come to my attention--as a result of being harangued for
ten hours straight by Peter Schnoz and Harry Keatinger, with Leonard
Platonist watching in the wings--that this was a serious error on my
part, a point to which I readily accede. I was irresponsible and even
non-focussed in not researching this journal and identifying its
nature: a journal on Ayn Rand not published by the Ayn Rand Institute,
humina humina humina.

In a world in which some individuals profess to love Ayn Rand's work

but make a living explicating it and promoting it--and where or in
which some similarly profess to admire Objectivism but insult the
anally-fixated hypocrites at the Ayn Rand Institute--I should have
known better than to wallow in the kind of free-for-all process of
whim-worship known as "debate" and "exchanges."

The so-called "Journal" (ha) "of" (yeah right) "Ayn Rand" (oh, is that
who they're talkin' 'bout?) "Studies" (is there any need to study what
should already be integrated into consciousness and sinew of being?)
is filled with writings by non-zombies who would not have me in their
living rooms no matter how hard I begged.

I deeply regret my thoughtless decision to contribute to this journal,

and hereby irrevocably repudiate any and all association with it, with
my friends and relatives (none of whom are rational or objective!),
and with my local grocer (who one minute sells me vegetables and
ground beef, the next is spewing Democratic delirium). In this regard,
the fault is entirely my own. Me bad. Me very bad. Spank muh!

This journal does not hide what it is--nay, it is actually
published...AND distributed. Its contents are available on the

Internet for all to see. In failing to do the requisite research and

gather the necessary data, I failed to properly use my mind. I am,
thus, a whim-worshiping dipwad commie baddie guy. I must now suffer
the consequences of that dipwaddiness and baddie-guyness on my part. I
evaded. I evaded! (Sob.)

To all who are sincerely concerned with Objectivism, I apologize, and

I hope you will let me kiss your ass and lick it, lick it good, and I
recommend a complete repudiation and boycott--boycott!!--of this
journal and of any and all of Dr. Scabrous's work. And don't ask me
for any "reasons" or specific "references" to the Journal's work or
Mr. S's, because I don't want to taint my mind by focussing on any
such "reasons" associated with such patent not-an-ARI-product-ism. I
now go on my merry way, to sin no more.

In the Name of Leonard Christ our Lord,
Andrew Bernslime