Ibn Sina and Bolzano: Two Contingent Arguments. The Logic and Religion Webinar, Jun 9

Francisco de Assis Mariano

Jun 7, 2022, 12:39:05 PM6/7/22
Dear Colleague,

You are invited to participate in the next session of the Logic and Religion Webinar Series which will be held on Jun 9, 2022, at 4pm CET with the topic:

IBN SINA & BOLZANO: TWO CONTINGENT ARGUMENTS

Speaker: Kordula Świętorzecka (Cardinal Stefan Wyszyński University in Warsaw, Poland) and Michał Pawłowski and Bartosz Wesół (University of Warsaw, Poland).

Chair: Marcin Trepczyński (University of Warsaw, Poland).

Please register in advance!

https://www.logicandreligion.com/webinars

Abstract: In 2014, Petr Dvořák put forward a hypothesis about structural convergence of two cosmological arguments: by Avicenna and Bolzano. Indeed, both arguments are based on the notion of the whole (totum) of all contingent/conditioned individuals, different from the notion of the classical set containing them. However, the authors differ in their attitude to the impossibility of regress ad infinitum. Our goal is to reconstruct Avicenna's argument on the basis of modern unitary theory of sets and individuals and compare this reconstruction with the Bolzano’s argument already expressed in the same formal frame. The lecture will be followed by the talk "God and Timeless Cognition", by Michał Pawłowski and Bartosz Wesół, the winners of the second Kurt Gödel Award 2021.

With best wishes,

Francisco de Assis Mariano

The University of Missouri-Columbia

LARA Secretary

Jeffrey Rubard

Jun 21, 2022, 5:14:37 PM6/21/22
...but are they two contingent arguments that go great together?

Jeffrey Rubard

Aug 11, 2022, 9:04:47 PM8/11/22
They didn't know each other, right?
"Let me check."

Jeffrey Rubard

Aug 13, 2022, 7:25:22 PM8/13/22
"They didn't."
I guess!

Jeffrey Rubard

Aug 15, 2022, 4:35:56 PM8/15/22
Because they lived at different times, right? Ibn Sina and Bernhard Bolzano not on the planet together, right?

Jeffrey Rubard

Aug 17, 2022, 7:27:01 PM8/17/22
"They both lived on planet Earth."
Now we're getting somewhere!

Jeffrey Rubard

Aug 18, 2022, 4:15:03 PM8/18/22
"They were philosophers of science and logic."
I think this is better known about Ibn Sina than Bolzano, actually!

Jeffrey Rubard

Aug 19, 2022, 2:11:44 PM8/19/22
"You are wrong."
This work has involved a careful comparative study of their respective historical influence, then?

Jeffrey Rubard

Aug 20, 2022, 6:26:38 PM8/20/22
"It hasn't."
I "bullshit" about things I don't know about sometimes, too.

Jeffrey Rubard

Aug 21, 2022, 11:58:35 AM8/21/22
"Who was Bolzano?"
A mathematician who also wrote an early book on the philosophy of science.

Jeffrey Rubard

Aug 21, 2022, 5:48:29 PM8/21/22
"So he didn't know Ibn Sina?"
They didn't live at the same time in history. Bolzano was presumably aware of his works.

Jeffrey Rubard

Aug 22, 2022, 10:03:00 PM8/22/22
"Did Bolzano ever travel to the United States?"
I don't believe so.

Jeffrey Rubard

Aug 23, 2022, 2:50:43 PM8/23/22
"Did Ibn Sina ever travel to the United States?"
They called that "beggaring belief", once.

Jeffrey Rubard

Aug 23, 2022, 3:34:10 PM8/23/22
"Well, what does that tell you?"
Yeah yeah, ad nauseam "figuring it out".
It tells me that people really do not understand the "compass" which includes both Ibn Sina and the United States,
to wit world history.
"What about Bolzano?"
I said world history, not European history.

Jeffrey Rubard

Aug 24, 2022, 11:53:19 AM8/24/22
"What's the diff?"
Does "diff" mean something different than "difference"?
"Maybe."
The idea would be that people might make up "fables" sometimes, or maybe they wouldn't.
"The idea?"

Jeffrey Rubard

Aug 24, 2022, 5:19:00 PM8/24/22
"You seem to have derailed."
Was there a lot of continuous, correct, useful inference to do here?
"Maybe."
Maybe not.

Jeffrey Rubard

Aug 25, 2022, 8:41:32 PM8/25/22
"Anyhow, about Avicenna and Bolzano..."
What are your thoughts about them, then?

Jeffrey Rubard

Aug 26, 2022, 8:37:31 PM8/26/22
"Whom do you like better?"
Those would be *my* thoughts, wouldn't they?

Jeffrey Rubard

Aug 27, 2022, 6:16:08 PM8/27/22
"Have you read them both?"
I believe I've read a bit of Bolzano, and actually none of Ibn Sina. Have you read both?
("Click" sound)

Jeffrey Rubard

Aug 28, 2022, 12:29:35 PM8/28/22
"Are you calling me a liar?"
How do you figure that? I was just asking if you were familiar with the work of both Ibn Sina and Bolzano.
I'm not.

Jeffrey Rubard

Aug 28, 2022, 7:03:48 PM8/28/22
"Who do you think would win a fight between them?"
Um... Bolzano? That almost makes more sense, comparatively, than the other "inanities" you could say about this juxtaposition.

Jeffrey Rubard

Aug 28, 2022, 7:37:27 PM8/28/22
"What about Averroes and Frege? How about comparing them?"
Hey, let's not make life "all complicated" for these people, okay?

Jeffrey Rubard

Sep 4, 2022, 6:30:11 PM9/4/22
"'These people'? Do you mean homosexuals?"
Um, no. No I do not.

Jeffrey Rubard

Sep 6, 2022, 5:31:07 PM9/6/22
"That's a non sequitur."
You're right, you're right about that.

Jeffrey Rubard

Sep 10, 2022, 6:54:20 PM9/10/22
"Am I?"
Sure. Sure you are.

Jeffrey Rubard

Sep 10, 2022, 7:15:39 PM9/10/22
"You're 'reading in' to what I'm saying here."
Okay. Sure, I could see how that could be.

Jeffrey Rubard

Sep 14, 2022, 11:43:33 AM9/14/22
They were, at any rate, different people.
"???"

Jeffrey Rubard

Sep 15, 2022, 4:49:42 PM9/15/22
They lived at different times in human history.
"Their lives didn't overlap at all?"
No, no they didn't.

Jeffrey Rubard

Sep 16, 2022, 6:09:02 PM9/16/22
"And Ibn Sina was Islamic and Bolzano was..."
Bolzano was Bolzano.

Jeffrey Rubard

Sep 17, 2022, 5:56:44 PM9/17/22
"They were real people, weren't they?"
They aren't recorded as being insincere, no.

Jeffrey Rubard

Sep 29, 2022, 4:19:07 PM9/29/22
"I mean, they weren't made up, right? They weren't hoaxes?"
I believe they are both known to be actual historical individuals, yes.

Jeffrey Rubard

Oct 9, 2022, 5:32:57 PM10/9/22
"You believe they were actual persons?"
I'm not the world's top expert on Ibn Sina and Bolzano, they could have been somehow more "vacuous" pen-names, but yes, I think they are "reputed" to be actual people.

Jeffrey Rubard

Oct 10, 2022, 4:52:54 PM10/10/22
"What if they weren't?"
Are you sure you're not just "quibbling" here?

Jeffrey Rubard

Oct 11, 2022, 3:31:37 PM10/11/22
"Do you suppose Bolzano was more scientific, then?"
Wow, that'd be kind of a non sequitur, one "in line" with conventional wisdom about the work of Bolzano. But, yes.

Jeffrey Rubard

Oct 12, 2022, 4:21:23 PM10/12/22
"Are you Islamic?"
No, no I'm not.

Jeffrey Rubard

Oct 15, 2022, 7:55:42 PM10/15/22
"We're all pretty sure of that, right?"

Jeffrey Rubard

Oct 16, 2022, 5:33:51 PM10/16/22
"Why wouldn't we be?"

Jeffrey Rubard

Oct 18, 2022, 3:37:07 PM10/18/22
I don't know, Islamic people don't "look a certain way"?

Jeffrey Rubard

Oct 19, 2022, 6:59:21 PM10/19/22
Did he write "Incoherence of the Incoherence"?
"No, that was Averroes."

Jeffrey Rubard

Oct 20, 2022, 9:08:18 PM10/20/22
"You mean Avicenna."
Well, no, Averroes wrote that. I suppose it "refers back" to Avicenna rather than Bolzano, though.

Jeffrey Rubard

Oct 22, 2022, 6:09:54 PM10/22/22
"Yeah, like Bolzano would 'fux with'... gimme a sec..."
Nah, I think we're at a good stopping-place.

Jeffrey Rubard

Oct 25, 2022, 4:36:02 PM10/25/22
"We're cool?"

Jeffrey Rubard