Dog Grooming Tips

CMSeguin

Jan 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/13/99
Hi!

I'm looking for a news group that will help me with information on Dog
Grooming and/or tips on Dog Grooming. I have a Bichon/Shizu cross and a
Poodle/Pom cross who engage in World War III every time I take them to a
groomer. To reduce everyone's anxiety I want to groom them at home.

Chaos will sit still for me (except when it's time to do her nails) but
Buddy (the Poodle/Pom X) won't stay still at all.

Any Info would be appreciated...

Thanks
Cec & Chaos & Buddy

Skink

Jan 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/19/99
I've taken a few grooming classes and also have my own dog so I can give a
few things to try. The best thing would to be if someone else could help
you. They could hold and pet them gently so they feel comfortable while you
cut their nails. If you can't do that (this is something you should start
when they are puppies but try it) try messaging their paws when ever you can
everyday so they get used to you touching their paws. Do that for a week or
longer if you can. Then try with the nail clippers. Make sure you let them
smell the clipper before you try and cut. Even if you can only do one a day
it's better than bringing them somewhere and having a stranger do it.
I messaged my dogs paws ever since he was a puppy and it does work. Hope
this helps

ra...@kenyasclassyk9s.mygbiz.com

Aug 16, 2013, 4:18:18 AM8/16/13
That's very true, paw massages help to disassociate nail clipping from paw holding. Its always easier to clip paws when they will hold still. I am a dog groomer in Kenya, and all the dogs I do become used to me doing it by the second or third try, if they have issues with it at all. Its all about trust, patience and love. When you and the dog are in a mental state where you are communicating with your energy, that all you are doing is for their best interests, then you both have an easier time. I love the loving, happy and energetic reactions I get after nail clipping. That's when it feels easier to walk, and they really appreciate it, even when they were terrified at the begining. :) I love my job. :)