Putting a hamster to sleep

A J Lee

Jan 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/18/99
Hi all

I guess this is sad news. My hamster is very sick and even though I brought
him to a vet 1 month ago, and finished his course of antibiotics, he has not
gotten better. What happened is that he was mauled by my pet dog.

The vet did say that there's not much that can be done, and suggested
putting him to sleep. I guess I would like to do that now, he is quite a
sight, and I am thinking that he is in pain cos he is always curled up in a
ball and he is nearly all black and dirty.

Maybe I should be scolded for asking something like this, but can anyone
please help me to put him to sleep? I really do not have the time and it is
very inconvenient to bring him to a vet. I would want to do it myself.

How do I do this quickly and painlessly?

Waiting for your feedback and answers,

disturbed boy

square

Jan 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/18/99
it is very very sad. All the best for your hammie.
Why not going to a vet. One of my hammies had cancer. The vet was so
friendly and soft to the hammie, and it took about 15 second to bring him to
sleep. I think, our hammie did not felt fear or pain while visiting the vet.

all the best

Ludger

gjerrell

Jan 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/18/99
1-b

Euthanasia
(1) Physical methods
(a) Cervical dislocation
(b) Decapitation
(2) Parenteral methods
(a) Pentobarbital 135-150mg/kg IV minimum
(b) T-61 : not to be used when histopathology is anticipated.
(3) Inhalant methods
(a) Carbon dioxide
(b) Halothane
(c) Methoxyflurane
(d) Ether(explosive)

A J Lee wrote
>Hi all

>What happened is that he was mauled by my pet dog.

>The vet did say >ball and he is nearly all black and dirty.

Glen Harman

Jan 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/18/99

A J Lee <j...@pacific.net.sg> wrote in message news:77v0hh$g78$1...@mawar.singnet.com.sg...

>Hi all
>
>I guess this is sad news. My hamster is very sick and even though I brought
>him to a vet 1 month ago, and finished his course of antibiotics, he has not
>gotten better. What happened is that he was mauled by my pet dog.
>
>The vet did say that there's not much that can be done, and suggested
>putting him to sleep. I guess I would like to do that now, he is quite a
>sight, and I am thinking that he is in pain cos he is always curled up in a
>ball and he is nearly all black and dirty.
>
>Maybe I should be scolded for asking something like this, but can anyone
>please help me to put him to sleep? I really do not have the time and it is
>very inconvenient to bring him to a vet. I would want to do it myself.

>How do I do this quickly and painlessly?

Apparently you do care about him very much, and want the best
for him. So don't let him down now. Take him to the vet, even if
it is inconvenient. They have the appropriate chemicals, which
are probably very hard if not impossible to get without an appropriate
license. They also have the expertise, and will know how to do it
the *correct* way. IE as painlessly and quickly as possible.

A quick poll of vets in my area suggests the following approach
is most common:

- Place the hamster in a small container lined with cotton balls
which have been soaked with Isoflurane. It will lose
consciousness and feel nothing more.
- Give the animal an injection of "FatalPlus" (a Vortech
Pharmaceuticals product which I believe is essentially sodium
pentobarbital). While it can be injected elsewhere, it is typically
injected directly into the heart so that death occurs as quickly
as possible.

One of the most popular Euthanasia reference works can be
found at this link. WARNING!!!! It describes the full range
of options, including those which are very unpleasant to think
about. Some readers might not want to view it.

http://hayato.med.osaka-u.ac.jp/index/guide/inform/regulation/usadocs/avmaeuth.txt

You may note that the AVMA identifies halothane and enflurane as
being preferable over isoflurane. Why most of the local vets are
using isoflurane instead of them I don't know. I've been unable
to get back in touch with them for it is now late morning and they
are all exceptionally busy. It might be that isoflurane is preferred
for other, "general" anasthesia purposes and thus it is what they
have around. It might be the preferred agent is species dependent
and for hamsters and/or other rodents it is better. It might be it is
cheaper. I'm not sure yet.

le Roux Cilliers

Jan 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/18/99
you seem to know a lot about this. Where did you find out?

le Roux Cilliers

Jan 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/18/99
>I guess this is sad news. My hamster is very sick and even though I brought

Very sad.

>him to a vet 1 month ago, and finished his course of antibiotics, he has
not
>gotten better. What happened is that he was mauled by my pet dog.

I'd say kill the dog too.

>The vet did say that there's not much that can be done, and suggested
>putting him to sleep. I guess I would like to do that now, he is quite a
>sight, and I am thinking that he is in pain cos he is always curled up in a
>ball and he is nearly all black and dirty.

>Maybe I should be scolded for asking something like this, but can anyone
>please help me to put him to sleep? I really do not have the time and it is
>very inconvenient to bring him to a vet. I would want to do it myself.
>
>How do I do this quickly and painlessly?

I'd say the best way to do this would be to gas the ham. Put it in an
air-tight container and before you close it try suck out some of the air
then, with your mouth still over the hole (I'm thinking of a bottle) hold
your breath so that most of the oxygen can be used up then blow it back into
the container and close it. If you can't suck out a lot of the air, hold
you breath for as long as possible and then blow it into the container and
close it thus replacing the clean air with used air. There shouldn't be
enough oxygen left to sustain the ham for mor than a few minutes.

>disturbed boy

You might be even more disturbed after you put it to sleep. Maybe you sould
take it to the vet to be put down.
*tears rolling down face, after having to tell someone how to kill a ham*

The Hamstery

Jan 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/18/99
Hi

I'm sorry about your hamster.
This sounds like your first time with this problem. Then you might want to
try the vet.
Otherwise you would need either something to inject him with (injecting an
animal for the first time is an unpleasant feeling itself), or do it the
hard way by breaking his back/neck. This is even worse the first time and
you certainly wouldn't want to miss.

A J Lee skrev i meddelelsen <77v0hh$g78$1...@mawar.singnet.com.sg>...
>Hi all

>I guess this is sad news. My hamster is very sick and even though I brought

>him to a vet 1 month ago, and finished his course of antibiotics, he has
not
>gotten better. What happened is that he was mauled by my pet dog.
>

>The vet did say that there's not much that can be done, and suggested
>putting him to sleep. I guess I would like to do that now, he is quite a
>sight, and I am thinking that he is in pain cos he is always curled up in a
>ball and he is nearly all black and dirty.
>
>Maybe I should be scolded for asking something like this, but can anyone
>please help me to put him to sleep? I really do not have the time and it is
>very inconvenient to bring him to a vet. I would want to do it myself.
>
>How do I do this quickly and painlessly?

Glen Harman

Jan 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/18/99
I need to clarify something...

Only a *professional*, such as a vet or vet tech, should attempt to
euthanize an animal. As I suggested in the first part of my post.
I included a link to the AVMA report so that those wanting to could
familiarize themselves with the recommendations... for the purpose
of verifying that their vets are following them. I *did not* include it
so that people could learn about the various methods and try one
themselves. Wish I hadn't posted it, but its too late now <sigh>.

Others have mentioned, in their posts, methods which some might
think they could try at home. Some might find a method in the
AVMA report which they feel they could try at home. Please, DO
NOT TRY ANYTHING YOURSELF!!! There are many things which
could, and *would* go wrong. The animal would suffer. It is your
responsibility to assure that the animal does NOT suffer.

Should, for instance, it is "after hours" and you feel your animal
needs to be put to sleep, call around and find an animal hospital
which is open 24 hours. If you can't find one or if you prefer,
call the emergency numbers the vets provide. Don't take no
for an answer!!! Insist that the vet come into the office, or insist
that you be put through to the vet, or continue to call around until
you can get through to one. If money is an issue, discuss it
with your vet. Any vet worth his/her salt would make appropriate
arrangements if not actually do it for free. In other words,
there are no excuses for not taking your pet to the vet. Especially
when it is suffering!

The Hamstery

Jan 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/18/99
Don't ever gas any animals!!
If you have seen this you will know that the animals suffocates under very
painful circumstances.

I have worked at an lab animal facility, where the preferred method of
killing rodents were by gassing them. When I started there I made them look
at the animals while they died. Most people there never used the gas chamber
again.

K.

le Roux Cilliers skrev i meddelelsen <77vnvk$oen$5...@plug.news.pipex.net>...

>>I guess this is sad news. My hamster is very sick and even though I
brought

>Very sad.

>>him to a vet 1 month ago, and finished his course of antibiotics, he has
>not
>>gotten better. What happened is that he was mauled by my pet dog.
>

>I'd say kill the dog too.
>

>>The vet did say that there's not much that can be done, and suggested
>>putting him to sleep. I guess I would like to do that now, he is quite a
>>sight, and I am thinking that he is in pain cos he is always curled up in
>>ball and he is nearly all black and dirty.
>
>>Maybe I should be scolded for asking something like this, but can anyone
>>please help me to put him to sleep? I really do not have the time and it
is
>>very inconvenient to bring him to a vet. I would want to do it myself.
>>
>>How do I do this quickly and painlessly?

Mouse

Jan 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/18/99
Please take your hamster to the vet. Do not attempt to relieve his
suffering yourself. If you managed to take him to the vet last time, I'm
sure you can do it once more.

Mouse :o(

test user

Jan 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/18/99
Look, I don't want to sound really ugly, but I cannot believe some of these
suggestions. I feel very sorry for this poor little hamster, and while I
completely understand wanting to end his suffering, I cannot imagine trying
any of these "home" remedies. Take this poor hamster to the vet. Let
someone that is experienced with this do it, and you can be there to pet him
and show him love through his last moments. I dearly love my hamsters and
would never consider some of the things suggested here. Please, Please take
him to the VET!!!

Lorraine Hill

Jan 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/19/99

>I'd say the best way to do this would be to gas the ham. Put it in an
>air-tight container and before you close it try suck out some of the air
>then, with your mouth still over the hole (I'm thinking of a bottle) hold
>your breath so that most of the oxygen can be used up then blow it back
into
>the container and close it. If you can't suck out a lot of the air, hold
>you breath for as long as possible and then blow it into the container and
>close it thus replacing the clean air with used air. There shouldn't be
>enough oxygen left to sustain the ham for mor than a few minutes.

This suggestion has two faults:

(a) .. it is unlikely you would succeed in removing all oxygen and therefore
the hamster is unlikely to die .. unless the airtight container was shut and
left for several hours.

(b) .. even if you did remove the oxygen and succeed in suffocating the
hamster with carbon dioxide it would be a slow and painful death.

>You might be even more disturbed after you put it to sleep. Maybe you
sould
>take it to the vet to be put down.
>*tears rolling down face, after having to tell someone how to kill a ham*

This suggestion is by far the best.

Lorraine Hill
The Complete Hamster Site
http://www.hamsters.co.uk

Lorraine Hill

Jan 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/19/99
Just to make things clear here:

>Euthanasia
>(1) Physical methods
> (a) Cervical dislocation

> (b) Decapitation

Totally inhumane methods of course.

>(2) Parenteral methods
> (a) Pentobarbital 135-150mg/kg IV minimum
> (b) T-61 : not to be used when histopathology is anticipated.
>(3) Inhalant methods
> (a) Carbon dioxide

Carbon dioxide is not humane as the animal suffers pain before dying.

> (b) Halothane
> (c) Methoxyflurane
> (d) Ether(explosive)

(d) can be effective in the pure form (administered correctly by a vet). A
vet will always administer the most humane and correct form of euthanasia
leading to a pain-free and quick release for the hamster.

A J Lee

Jan 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/19/99
Ok guys, I shall bring him to the vet. Thanks all for your suggestions and
posts and I appreciate it so much. I would take a day's leave to accomplish
this. I dont think I would be keeping hammies for a long time now..

:'-(

ajl

test user <gu...@tnaccess.com> wrote in message

Jessica L Scott

Jan 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/19/99

I don't understand why you wouldn't just bring the hamster to your vet
again to put the little guy to sleep humanely -- especially if you made
the effort to go to your vet originally!

If you really, truly care for your pet, do the right thing. DO NOT try to
end his suffering yourself. There's too great a chance that you might
screw up something and REALLY cause him some serious pain and unnecissary
anguish. Vets do this (among other, "happier" things) for a living.

Good luck!

Jess

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Jessica Scott | "It is not true that nice guys finish last.
jls...@hopper.unh.edu | Nice guys are winners before the game ever
#(603) 862-5042 | starts." --ADDISON WALKER

Starchick

Jan 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/19/99
Looking back at this, I am alternately suprised and disgusted. On this
newgroup, we are having a discussion about how to kill a hamster, and some
incredibly cruel things have been suggested. I'm not going to complain, but
let's just make it clear that we're here because we love our pets, and that
only a vet could handle this situation correctly. Please, Please before you
post a suggestion, make sure that there's no chance your advice could
accidentally cause a hamster harm.

Glen Harman

Jan 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/19/99
The Hamstery <sos.k...@get2net.dk> wrote in message

<snip>

>Secondly, although it at first sounds cruel, dislocation of the neck is
>without comparison the most humane and fastest way to kill an animal,
>*provided it is done by an experienced person*. Also more humane than
>taking him to the vet. No animals like to be injected with needles. Many
>humans don't like it, and we know what it is. How do you think the animals
>feel??

Well, 99.99999999% of hamster owners don't have that experience/training
so they would have to take the animal to the vet anyway.

In any case, I personally like the idea of anesthetizing first. That way,
they don't feel anything. Note that link I provided said (under the cervical
dislocation approach) "data suggest that electrical activity in the brain
persists for 13 seconds". Now, while I'll readily admit that shock/antipain
mechanisms might kick in quickly and this brain activity may have nothing
to do with perceived pain/discomfort, the possibility disturbs me.

I've never actually observed the anesthetizing procedure. Wish I would
have last time, but I was far too upset. As I thought he might get
worse, I prepared for things. I took a small shoebox, cut a flap in it,
removed the existing nest and bedding from the aquarium, put it in the
shoebox, put the shoebox in the aquarium, and bent the flap down.
He walked in, sniffed around a bit, then went to sleep. When it was time,
I drove to the vet and carried it inside slowly/carefull (so as not to disturb
him), they removed the box, closed the flap, and dropped in some soaked
cotton balls. Thus, I hope at least, he was in comfortable surroundings
and relaxed as he fell asleep prior to the final shot. This, as opposed to
them having to handle him, put him in some strange container, etc.

If anyone can comment on how they react when exposed to isoflurane,
I'd be interested.

Leah & Scott Campbell

Jan 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/19/99
Now why would you say to kill the dog too???? It's not the dogs
fault!!! It's only natural for a dog or cat to "play" with a hamster!!
What a cruel thing to say!! The dog is an animal, the owner is the
human with the common sense!! How can you blame the dog??? You must
not own dogs!!

The Hamstery

Jan 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/20/99
I have to correct you a little here. Vets are not the only people that know
how to put an animal to sleep. There are such a thing as an education for
animal keepers. I have taken one and killing smaller animals is one of the
things you learn in a humane way.

Secondly, although it at first sounds cruel, dislocation of the neck is
without comparison the most humane and fastest way to kill an animal,
*provided it is done by an experienced person*. Also more humane than taking
him to the vet. No animals like to be injected with needles. Many humans
don't like it, and we know what it is. How do you think the animals feel??

K.

le Roux Cilliers

Jan 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/20/99
You're right. I don't own dogs. But I used to have this huge, beautiful
alsation but had to leave him in South Africa when we moved to the UK. I
suppose I was cruel. But I realised it too late, only after I sent the
message. Love your dog with all your heart and don't follow my stupid
advise.

JPoulos451

Jan 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/30/99
A .22 bullet to the head will ease the hamster's suffering. I used to shoot
rats in the barn and they died quick after a good shot. It is cheaper than
the vet who will charge $40 to euthanize a $4.99 hamster. A larger caliber
will be messier but will make it difficult to bury your pet as there will be
very little left.

Jim Jones

Jan 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/31/99
i think you are exaggerating a little about the price to put a hamster to
sleep. I only paid $5 to get my hamster put to sleep, and it was well
worth the price to know that it was in a peaceful way.

JPoulos451 <jpoul...@aol.comnospam> wrote in article
<19990130164155...@ng19.aol.com>...

le Roux Cilliers

Jan 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/31/99
I think you need to seek profesional help.

Starchick

Jan 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/31/99
That is incredibly cruel. What happens if you don't kill it with the first
shot? Either way, you are just prolonging its suffering. You owe the
hamster a painless death. You wouldn't shoot a sick relative, think of your
ham the same way.

zerg...@my-dejanews.com

Feb 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/1/99

jpoul...@aol.comnospam (JPoulos451) wrote:
> A .22 bullet to the head will ease the hamster's suffering. I used to shoot
> rats in the barn and they died quick after a good shot. It is cheaper than
> the vet who will charge $40 to euthanize a $4.99 hamster. A larger caliber
> will be messier but will make it difficult to bury your pet as there will be
> very little left.

To me $40 to euthanize a pet is worth it.

E.S.Blatch

Feb 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/2/99
> I think you need to seek profesional help.

Yeah but from the original post it is obvious that he wouldn't be able
to afford it.

--

Emma Blatch,

Refugee from 'The Hamster Palace'
'Where every hamster thinks its the boss!'

dolp...@megsinet.net

Feb 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/2/99
to Jim Jones
It depends on the vet. I paid $34, though $25 of that was for the visit.

katyma...@gmail.com

Mar 23, 2019, 6:05:51 AM3/23/19
I know this is really mean but my hamster has a tumour on his face wich is stopping him eat, drink and breathe. I know this sounds bad but how much was it to put your hammie to sleep??!

kest...@gmail.com

Apr 17, 2019, 9:23:13 AM4/17/19
There is possible confusion here, between carbon dioxide (CO2) and carbon monoxide (CO). CO is the stuff that comes out of exhaust pipes-it is painless, stressfree and almost irreversibly lethal even when oxygen is available. CO2 is what you breathe out, and what builds up if you put an animal in a plastic bag-it causes extreme distress before death due to lack of oxygen.

stephanie...@hotmail.co.uk

Feb 7, 2020, 5:20:55 AM2/7/20
My poor wee hamster died on Wednesday he was ok all day then he took his last breath that night he was only 20 weeks. Have I done something wrong. I give him clean water and food every day and cleaned his cage every week my son is heartbroken do you think he over feed him my son played with him a lot I am going around in circles thinking about him

jadl...@gmail.com

Jul 18, 2020, 1:03:53 AM7/18/20
On Monday, January 18, 1999 at 1:00:00 AM UTC-7, A J Lee wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I guess this is sad news. My hamster is very sick and even though I brought
> him to a vet 1 month ago, and finished his course of antibiotics, he has not
> gotten better. What happened is that he was mauled by my pet dog.
>
> The vet did say that there's not much that can be done, and suggested
> putting him to sleep. I guess I would like to do that now, he is quite a
> sight, and I am thinking that he is in pain cos he is always curled up in a
> ball and he is nearly all black and dirty.
>
> Maybe I should be scolded for asking something like this, but can anyone
> please help me to put him to sleep? I really do not have the time and it is
> very inconvenient to bring him to a vet. I would want to do it myself.
>
> How do I do this quickly and painlessly?
>
> Waiting for your feedback and answers,
>
> disturbed boy

i fucking hate hammond