Feeding hamster cooked meat

Jobe Peter J

Aug 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/17/96

Has anyone else ever feed their hamsters meat? I have had over 7 hamsters
over the years and all of them have loved little bits of cooked beef,
chicken and pork.

Rott4u

Aug 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/18/96

Yes my babies love boiled chicken bones,they consume this treat faster
than any other food given,and I give a large selection. What people do not
realive is that hamsters do not get all the nutrional needs from seeds.
Hamsters are omniverous, meaning they eat both meat and vegetable/fruits.
Every night my hammies get a different meal. Everyone eagerly awaits their
evening feast,anticipating the meal on the menu tonight. Well tonoght
everyone had a mixture of wild bird seed and mango's. Yesterday was a
vegetable medley with carrot sticks,celery,califlower, and broccoili(which
happens to be everyone's favorite). Tomorrow is beetle grub treat, chopped
boiled egg,crummbled american cheese,and sliced sandwich meat. Now I did
find that concensus at this hamstery is that potato's are not to ever be
included on the dietary list,no one would eat it. Varitiey is the key for
a hamster that is happy and healthy.

Michelle
Rot...@aol.com

Brent Adolph & Corinna Cooke

Aug 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/19/96

I offer Shreddy virtually anything that we eat. I won't give her too
much of most foods (like meats) because if she stores them, they may
rot. Meat is actually good for hamsters - many of the book recommend
that an occasional meal worm is good for them. Shreddy, and my
previous hamster Hammy absolutely LOVE scrambled eggs.

Corinna

Jeremy Nelson

Aug 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/19/96

In article <4vaht1$4...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, Xesr <xe...@aol.com> wrote:
>I remember hearing that you shouldn't feed rodents cheese (or meat)
>because they will become carnivorous.

A hamster is omnivorous. Feeding or not feeding hamster protein-rich
foods wont change the fact that a hamster eats both grains *and* bugs.
If a hamster didnt have carnivorous tendencies to start with, they
wouldnt eat the meat (or cheese), so it apears thats just an urban legend.

-jfn

Linda Phelps

Aug 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/19/96
to 3p...@qlink.queensu.ca

My hamster likes the skin off fried chicken--but I only give him little
pieces of the crispy ends so as not to get too much grease and fat.

I tried to give him chicken, but he wouldn't touch it.

Xesr

Aug 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/19/96

I remember hearing that you shouldn't feed rodents cheese (or meat)
because they will become carnivorous. I'm surprised to hear such positive
things about feeding them these things. I'd be interested in hearing
other people's opinions as well as any hamster "recipes" (What type of
meats? How are they prepared?)

rodent

Aug 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/20/96

In article <4v6asb$9...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, rot...@aol.com (Rott4u) says:

(Snip)

>Now I did find that concensus at this hamstery is that potato's are not
>to ever be included on the dietary list,no one would eat it. Varitiey
>is the key for a hamster that is happy and healthy.
>
>Michelle
>Rot...@aol.com

I agree that a good variety is the best way, but my Hannies LOVE potatoes.
You just have to be careful that you don't feed them any green parts or
sprouting ends as they could be poisonous. BTW they also like raw steak,
and contrary to some recent posts, like japanese oranges. (Maybe a little
less acidic than regular oranges.) and carrots, but their favorites change.
Right now they love avocadoes and cabbage. Next week it could be raw salmon
and pears! (But the staple is Nutri-blocks and seeds - and dog biscuits!)

Shauneen

Rott4u

Aug 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/20/96

The meats that my hammies tend to favor are:
cooked chicken,turkey,ham,and meal worms/crickets
Note that I do not feed this everyday,but at least twice a week. My
hammies are feed once a day,during the evening and left over food is
discarded,but this is rare as they seem to scarf it all down quickly.
The other five days of the week are mostly vegetables and fruit. I also
give hamster pellets and bird seed.
Feeding hamsters a varied diet will make them much happier and healthier.

Michelle
Rot...@aol.com

Bently Durant

Aug 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/20/96

I like to feed my hamsters mealworms. They seem to realy enjoy them.

I recently hered of a product called wax worms. What is the difference
between them and mealworms?

I have noticed that I don't realy have to feed my hamsters. They just
eat every thing around them :^) but I feed them giny pig pellets (also
for hamsters) and add vitamine supplements to their water insted :^)

Bently Durant

Aug 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/20/96

Rob Kingelin

Aug 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/21/96

In article <4vbam9$47...@elmo.cadvision.com>, rod...@cadvision.com
says...

I heard about giving dog biscuits to your hamsters
and tried it with mine. He loves it. I usually give the
small milk bones, but what other kind should I try?
Thanks, Valerie

Jeremy Nelson

Aug 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/22/96

In article <4vhrfn$4...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, Xesr <xe...@aol.com> wrote:
>Hamsters are much smaller than we are so a
>very small amount of contaminant, that would have no effect on us, could
>kill him.

Not that i neccesarily disagree with the larger scope of your point, but
biology of the world around us shows that what is dangerous for one
specis is not neccesarily dangerous for another -- Hamsters eat bugs
(grubs/crickets/etc), but im sure those are not very good for humans to
eat. So while i agree it is best to be cautious, i dont know that it is
100% safe to say that what is poisonous to us is poisonous to them.

-jfn

Lew Stead

Aug 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/22/96

> specis is not neccesarily dangerous for another -- Hamsters eat bugs
> (grubs/crickets/etc), but im sure those are not very good for humans to
> eat.

Well, you'd be wrong then. Insects are a fine source of protein. I've seen
folks making saute's of meal worms. What really is a lobster, but a large
water dwelling bug?

There are all sorts of things we culturally don't eat, but are fine.
Horsemeat is delicious, but we don't eat it because eating it used to be a
Pagan religious practice.

Lew

--
!------------------------------------------------------------------------!
! Lewis Stead -=- lst...@webcom.com -=- Moderator: Asatru listserv !

Kerri Kadow

Aug 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/22/96

Most of my hamsters LOVE crickets, but some don't seem very adept at catching
them (while others sniff them out the moment they're in the cage) None of my
hamsters seem to like mealworms at all. They also like lunch meat (like sliced
ham).

-Lizzi

Linda Phelps

Aug 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/22/96
to ro...@stargazer.netshop.net

My hamster likes the small milk bones the best. I've given him the new
"Pedigree" kind, but he doesn't like them as much.

These bones are essential in keeping their teeth from overgrowing.

Xesr

Aug 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/22/96

I would not recommend feeding raw meat or fish to your hamster any more
than you would eat it yourself. Raw meats can contain pathogens that
would be killed by cooking. Hamsters are much smaller than we are so a

very small amount of contaminant, that would have no effect on us, could
kill him. If you are going to feed hammie meat or fish, make sure it is
thoroughly cooked!!

rodent

Aug 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/23/96

In article <4vfbmf$s...@cliff.island.net>, ro...@stargazer.netshop.net (Rob Kingelin) says:

> I heard about giving dog biscuits to your hamsters
>and tried it with mine. He loves it. I usually give the
>small milk bones, but what other kind should I try?
>Thanks, Valerie

That's the only kind I've tried. I've heard from a friend that they don't
like the 'Flavor Snacks'. (You know, the ones that come in a variety of
flavors) But who knows? It could be just her hamsters. They do like a bit
of a Triscuit or Stone Wheat Thin, but I don't feed it to them very often,
as the salt content is quite high.

Shauneen

rodent

Aug 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/24/96

In article <4vhrfn$4...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, xe...@aol.com (Xesr) says:

>I would not recommend feeding raw meat or fish to your hamster any more
>than you would eat it yourself.

(Snip)

But I do eat raw fish and steak! I love Sushi, and steak tartare. I feed
them only the freshest steak, and only Sushi quality fish. I would not even
think of feeding them - say - raw hamburger, pork or chicken. I am guessing
that you are not experienced with these foods?

Shauneen

storm

Aug 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/25/96

Hello Hamster Lovers,
I've fed my hamsters raw hamburger and they love it, I only give them a pea
size once or twice a week. I don't think there is nothing wrong with feeding
your hamsters raw hamburger. I don't know about cooked meats though. I never
tried it. My hamsters' favorite of all food is apples, but I think all
hamsters love apples.:)

Lori
st...@zynetwc.com

Xesr

Aug 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/27/96

Yes, sushi quality fish and steak tartare are much safer. These products
have undergone inspection, handling, and storage with the intention of
being served raw. Giving your hamster raw ground beef, however, is a
different story.

I hate to ask, but were do you all get mealworms and crickets? I don't
know if I could bring myself to feed them to my hamster, though.

alison...@hopehouseschool.co.uk

Sep 2, 2015, 2:59:33 PM9/2/15
D͎o͎e͎s͎ i͎t͎ g͎e͎t͎ f͎a͎t͎ i͎f͎ w͎e͎ g͎i͎v͎e͎ t͎h͎e͎m͎ i͎t͎

alison...@hopehouseschool.co.uk

Sep 2, 2015, 2:59:35 PM9/2/15

rosettas...@gmail.com

Mar 18, 2020, 8:32:17 PM3/18/20