My hamster licks my finger all the time

Yvonne Fung

Sep 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/12/98
Hi there,

I've been keeping this Russian drawf hamster for 1.5 year. She is the
one i love most. Whenever I call her name, she'll immediately wake up
from her dream and come right in front of me. Whenever I put my fingers
near the cage, she will hold my finger gently and start licking for at
least one min!! While my other hamsters will bite when i give them my
fingers, this hamster seems so "polite". She seems to enjoy licking
very much. Does anybody have the same experience? I wonder what does
that mean... is that a way to show her fondness to me by licking me? And
I dont think it's becoz there's some smell of food on my fingertips.

Yvonne

Brdwaybound

Sep 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/12/98
to Yvonne Fung
Same here! When ever I put my hand in for my hammie he would just come up
and start licking it! I think it's because there is moisture on your hand.

Yvonne Fung

Sep 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/13/98

Today I found that my hamster's teeth are almost all gone. She has only got
2 very short ones at her upper jaw, and got one (around 1mm long) in her
lower jaw. She has 3 litters before. Is it due to the lack of calcium? We
feed her with wheat/alfalfa powder and she just loves it. She has
difficulties in eating seeds. Sometimes we feed her with bread. She also
likes drinking water very much.

I suspect why she always licks us is because she has no teeth... I don't
know... can anybody give me advice?

Thanks.

Yvonne

David G. Imber

Sep 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/13/98
On Sat, 12 Sep 1998 16:50:20 +0800, Yvonne Fung <y...@glink.net.hk> wrote:

->Hi there,
->
->I've been keeping this Russian drawf hamster for 1.5 year. She is the
->one i love most. Whenever I call her name, she'll immediately wake up
->from her dream and come right in front of me. Whenever I put my fingers
->near the cage, she will hold my finger gently and start licking for at
->least one min!! While my other hamsters will bite when i give them my
->fingers, this hamster seems so "polite". She seems to enjoy licking
->very much. Does anybody have the same experience? I wonder what does
->that mean... is that a way to show her fondness to me by licking me? And
->I dont think it's becoz there's some smell of food on my fingertips.

You can consider this affection. Some animals, particularly rats,
tend to show affection with licks and small nibbles. However, be careful
because this behavior also tests your limits and occasionally they will get
a bit _too_ affectionate, and it might surprise you.

I think it starts with the suggestion of food, but soon becomes a
habit or way of communicating.

DGI

********************************

David G. Imber
Maniform Creative Services
http://www.maniform.com

********************************

David G. Imber

Sep 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/13/98
On Sun, 13 Sep 1998 22:46:00 +0800, Yvonne Fung <y...@glink.net.hk> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Today I found that my hamster's teeth are almost all gone. She has only got
>2 very short ones at her upper jaw, and got one (around 1mm long) in her
>lower jaw. She has 3 litters before. Is it due to the lack of calcium?

Probably not. It is more likely from a self-inflicted injury. In
most cases it's nothing to worry about because hamster teeth grow back in
extremely quickly. Soft foods are a good idea until then, but you'll be
surprised...under normal circumstances the teeth grow fully back in just a
matter of days.

Good luck, DGI

Paul Hoffman

Sep 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/26/98
In article <35FBDAA7...@glink.net.hk>, Yvonne Fung
<y...@glink.net.hk> wrote:

> Today I found that my hamster's teeth are almost all gone.

I suppose the best advice would be to see a vet. But if you're worried
about her diet, how about yogurt? Lots of calcium and protein, no teeth
required (you might want to avoid big hunks of fruit).

Paul.

--
Paul Hoffman | paul.h...@umich.edu
Taubman Medical Library | http://www-personal.umich.edu/~nkuitse/

Kev

Oct 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/8/98

Hi

Dwarfs have very small teeth anyway, nothing like as big as a syrian.
I give mine a selection of wild bird seed, lentils and small seeds like
these, and they all love it

Kev

rini...@gmail.com

Dec 29, 2017, 5:52:10 PM12/29/17
On Saturday, September 12, 1998 at 8:00:00 AM UTC+1, Yvonne Fung wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I've been keeping this Russian drawf hamster for 1.5 year. She is the
> one i love most. Whenever I call her name, she'll immediately wake up
> from her dream and come right in front of me. Whenever I put my fingers
> near the cage, she will hold my finger gently and start licking for at
> least one min!! While my other hamsters will bite when i give them my
> fingers, this hamster seems so "polite". She seems to enjoy licking
> very much. Does anybody have the same experience? I wonder what does
> that mean... is that a way to show her fondness to me by licking me? And
> I dont think it's becoz there's some smell of food on my fingertips.
>
> Yvonne

Hello from the future! 2018