hamster won't use wheel

John Henderson

Jan 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/24/97

Hi, I'm Vincent, I'm 10 years old.
My hamster Meatball won't run in his wheel. What should I do about it?
Will he get sick if he doesn't get exercise? Is there another kind of
wheel I should get him?He has a wire wheel, and even if I put him in it
every day, he just sits at the bottom.
Bye for now!

Martin Meyers

Jan 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/26/97
Vincent, I'm Adam, age 11. My hamster, Hamish, does the same thing.
Except he will stand outside the wheel and spin it. I call it a Vanna
White complex. Let me know if you find the answer.

Alicia C Higham

Jan 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/26/97
to adamm...@juno.com

Though my rather large cream-colored hamster is very active, he has
been an on-and-off user of his wire, standard-sized wheel. He moves
slowly in it and when he starts out, looks like he is stretching and
extending his body against the curvature of the wheel.

On a hunch, I put him in a larger-diameter, rat-sized wheel. He now
is an habitual wheel-user, though the larger gaps in the wire spaces
make his feet drop through.

I can only conclude that too-small wheels may be difficult on the backs
of large hamsters, whose backs must bend unnaturally just to fit the
curvature of the wheel, since their backs are too long for the wheel
curvature. It took me a year to notice this. (The only other
explanation is that he thinks he is a rat).

Anyway, with hypothesis proved, I have now taken pity on his
dropping-down feet and am getting him a Wodent Wheel (state-of-the-art,
safe wheel made by a small outfit in Oregon).

Any others with large, wheel-avoiding hammies should test this out.

A. Higham

On
Sun, 26 Jan 1997, Martin

Jim Wishner

Jan 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/28/97

Hi, im katherine, ten years old

my hamster goes nuts when i put his wheel in his cage, but when he goes
in it, he sticks his head out. The bar that swings around when he spins
his wheel hits his head, but he dosent duck in time. I have no idea how
late he stayes up, but since my hamster keeps getting repeated blows to
his head, he has lost fur on his "snout" and has earned an "eyebrow" also.
i still havent found a cure.... but.. When i had Yoshi and Boshi, {male
+ female hamster that lived togeter} one would run in the wheel, and the
other would just run on the outside, like you said. Sometimes, they
would even run side by side, but one of them got pushed out of the wheel
at times. memories.oh well, my hamster, merlin, is cute anyways. I mean..
umm hi. your still there. well hi. um... i like hamsters, there fuzzy
and cute. please reply about your fuzzy hamsters.........................
................... mine is cream.......................and cute.l have
a habitrail "circus" home for my fuzzy. well, gotta go, bye

ten year old person

well, gotta go read a tranquillion more messages
about
hamster
eye
lids
or
whatever.
byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Admiral Chris

Jan 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/28/97

I had hamsters and they did that to, now I have degus and they do the same
thing, mabey they get sick of the weel and want a new chalange?

scal...@student.dodea.edu

Mar 27, 2018, 6:33:21 PM3/27/18
Hi Vincent,
Im Sophia,age 12.I have a hamster too I call him Cotton.I reccomend you get your hamster a ball to roll around the house in.It worked for my hamster that does not go on his wheel