Skunk Hamster

Bo

Aug 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/23/96

Send e-mail back at Dood...@aol.com

Our Female Golden Hamster sometimes smells like a skunk. Is there anything
we can do and have you ever heard of this at all?

Brent Adolph & Corinna Cooke

Aug 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/24/96

Bo <bpol...@his.com> wrote:

When a female hamster stinks, that is actually her musking - a natural
way for her to advertize to any male hamsters who may (or may not) be
in the area that she will be ready to mate soon. They do get rather
smelly sometimes, but just remember that it's completely natural.

Something else that you might notice with your female hamster is that
she will rub the side of her body against things - that's her
scenting. I'm not sure if that is marking her territory or if it
serves the same function as the musking, but either way it's a lot of
fun to watch the hammies do what comes natural to them!! :-)

Corinna

Charles W. Good

Aug 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/28/96

In Article<321E2D...@his.com>, <bpol...@his.com> write:
> From: Bo <bpol...@his.com>
> Newsgroups: alt.pets.hamsters
> Subject: Skunk Hamster
> Date: Fri, 23 Aug 1996 22:13:42 +0000

> Send e-mail back at Dood...@aol.com
>
> Our Female Golden Hamster sometimes smells like a skunk. Is there anything
> we can do and have you ever heard of this at all?

Dear Doodles,
I used to have a hamster who sometimes smelled like a skunk. Usually
that meant she needed her cage cleaned. No prob.

Meaghan Good
<cgood@brutus.

Tan Mei Lin Michele

Aug 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/30/96

On Fri, 23 Aug 1996, Bo wrote:

> Send e-mail back at Dood...@aol.com
>
> Our Female Golden Hamster sometimes smells like a skunk. Is there anything
> we can do and have you ever heard of this at all?

My hamster stinks too... and i bathe her once a wk... by the way, do
most hamsters sleep in the day time? Mine sleep in the morning and
would only wake up at 7:30 p.m... What about the rest of ya out there?

MICHELE

James Relyea

Aug 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/31/96

Well duh!! All hamster are nocturnal! You have to be stupid not to
know that.

Brent Adolph & Corinna Cooke

Sep 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/2/96

cq...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (James Relyea) wrote:

> Well duh!! All hamster are nocturnal! You have to be stupid not to
>know that.

Please keep in mind that a lot of people post questions because they
aren't as familiar with hamsters as you may be.

Yes, all hamsters are nocturnal - that means they sleep during the
day, and run on their wheels all night. Also, females will emit a
musky smell - it's a natural function to attract a mate.

Corinna

asherthec...@hotmail.com

Aug 30, 2018, 10:45:07 PM8/30/18
On Friday, August 30, 1996 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Tan Mei Lin Michele wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Aug 1996, Bo wrote:
>
> > Send e-mail back at Dood...@aol.com
> >
> > Our Female Golden Hamster sometimes smells like a skunk. Is there anything
> > we can do and have you ever heard of this at all?
> >

> My hamster stinks too... and i bathe her once a wk... by the way, do
> most hamsters sleep in the day time? Mine sleep in the morning and
> would only wake up at 7:30 p.m... What about the rest of ya out there?
>
> MICHELE

Ah! Please do not bathe your hamster, they do on their own very well. Bathing them in anything but their own saliva or with their own bathing sand (specificly made for hamsters) will make them very sick. Bathing them with even a little water can effect them so severely. Many hammies die due to owners bathing them with water. I'm not sure what you mean by bathing your hamster weekly, but plz do not be bathing them with water or anything wet. Your hamster is very capable of cleaning itself, even if poo gets stuck or if they accidentally sit on their pee corners...they will eventually clean it off. They are very tedious with their personal hygiene :)