Color of Hamster urine

Mrs. H

Jun 30, 2009, 11:33:21 PM6/30/09
I've noticed over the past month that the color of my hamsters urine has
changed from a light color to a dark brown. Is this anything to be concerned
about? Other than that there are no changes in his appetite, activity
level, appearance or demeanor.
TIA
Mrs. H

Turtle

Jul 1, 2009, 6:54:43 AM7/1/09

Hallo Mrs. H.
Mrs. H schrieb:

I know if a hamster eats carrots its urin becomes darker.
Is that the case?

John

Mrs. H

Jul 1, 2009, 1:29:11 PM7/1/09

"Turtle" <mhau...@googlemail.com> wrote in message
============
Thanks, Turtle. I had considered that and cut back on his favorite treat,
but still
the urine is dark brown. Guess I should experiment further and not offer
him carrots for awhile and see what happens.
Mrs. H
I am my hamsters mum.

Daily treats for Gus-Gus (formerly Munchkin 'till g'son renamed him) include
boiled egg - yolk only, broccoli, craisins, apple - also a big favorite,
oats, nuts,
corn, yogurt, cheese, and sometimes sweet potato. Any other suggestions?

Turtle

Jul 2, 2009, 4:47:02 AM7/2/09

Hi Mrs, H.

Mrs. H schrieb:

> Thanks, Turtle. I had considered that and cut back on his favorite treat,
> but still
> the urine is dark brown. Guess I should experiment further and not offer
> him carrots for awhile and see what happens.

Substitute carrots with something else and see if there is a change.

> Mrs. H
> I am my hamsters mum.
>
> Daily treats for Gus-Gus (formerly Munchkin 'till g'son renamed him) include
> boiled egg - yolk only, broccoli, craisins, apple - also a big favorite,
> oats, nuts,
> corn, yogurt, cheese, and sometimes sweet potato. Any other suggestions?

Mine is crazy about grasshoppers.

CU

Mrs. H

Jul 2, 2009, 12:25:58 PM7/2/09

"Turtle" <mhau...@googlemail.com> wrote in message
==================
Ugh! I haven't gone that route yet. One day - maybe. :)
Mrs. H

Hilary

Jul 3, 2009, 9:41:01 PM7/3/09

"Mrs. H" <devo...@comcast.net> wrote in message

> Daily treats for Gus-Gus (formerly Munchkin 'till g'son renamed him)
> include
> boiled egg - yolk only, broccoli, craisins, apple - also a big favorite,
> oats, nuts,
> corn, yogurt, cheese, and sometimes sweet potato. Any other suggestions?

Hi Mrs H.

If his urine is darker it could also indicate he's not drinking enough. They
should in theory get the majority of water from their foodstuffs and with a
selection of freshies like his treats he should be OK. If it smells very
strongly it could mean a urine infection. He would become unwell and not be
doing all his usual activities though. If you get worried the best thing to
do is find a vet that is hamster friendly but if he's happy and active I'd
guess he's fine.

One thing I would do is not give him the Craisins. I know he would probably
kill for them but they are heavily sweetened and hamsters can't deal with
processed sugars, which could make him a little dehydrated. The yoghurt
treats they sell in pet stores usually have a lot of sugar in as well, yet
they are sold as healthy treats. Also check the ingredients for artificial
sweeteners as they are a definite no as well. A little fresh yoghurt
occasionally shouldn't do him any harm and is useful to help restock the
gut bacteria if theyve had antibiotics.

If nothing changes after excluding the sweet treats I'd cut down a bit on
the protein treats (nuts etc) to see if that helps. If like most hamsters he
is on a complete food mix he is probably getting enough protein in already.
Pregnant, lactating or recovering hamsters would need extra.

I couldn't face trying the crickets either. I used to give mine a little
sweet pepper, sugar snap peas, french beans, a baked bean with the sauce
washed off, a tiny piece of cooked pasta, firm pear (not squishy). A tiny
bit of grape but make sure there are no seeds, apple pips are bad as well,
although the apple itself is safe.

I have a list somewhere of all the foods, plants that they can/can't eat
safely. One of the original posters Wendy ( I think) posted the link and I
printed it off. Its probably in the loft with everything else since we moved
but I'll try and find it or a link to it if its still on the web.

Hilary

Jul 4, 2009, 7:23:02 PM7/4/09

"Hilary" <.> wrote in message

> I have a list somewhere of all the foods, plants that they can/can't eat
> safely. One of the original posters Wendy ( I think) posted the link and I
> printed it off. Its probably in the loft with everything else since we
> moved but I'll try and find it or a link to it if its still on the web.

This isnt the original list I had copied but it seems to cover most of it. I
hope this helps.

http://hamsterhideout.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=41940

:o)

Mrs. H

Jul 13, 2009, 2:02:24 PM7/13/09
On behalf of Gus-Gus (known formerly as Munchkin) thank you for the list,
Hilary.
Mrs. H

"Hilary" <.> wrote in message

Hilary

Jul 13, 2009, 9:40:07 PM7/13/09

> On behalf of Gus-Gus (known formerly as Munchkin) thank you for the list,
> Hilary.
> Mrs. H

I hope he enjoys his new treats.

:o)

Mrs. H

Jul 14, 2009, 12:11:44 AM7/14/09

"Hilary" <.> wrote in message
======
So far some of the new suggestions have been a hit except for celery and
popcorn and have ended up in his toilet if you know what I mean.
The fuss-pot but he's so cute especially when he looks at you with those
eyes letting me know he's ready to have a visit and a walk-about.
Thanks again.
Mrs. H

Hilary

Jul 14, 2009, 9:58:40 PM7/14/09

> So far some of the new suggestions have been a hit except for celery and
> popcorn and have ended up in his toilet if you know what I mean.
> The fuss-pot but he's so cute especially when he looks at you with those
> eyes letting me know he's ready to have a visit and a walk-about.
> Thanks again.
> Mrs. H

Thats one of the things I love about hamsters. When they throw something
into the loo with disgust, they make their feelings on the matter very
clear.

They definitely seem to have very personal tastes, just like us I suppose.

:o)

Mrs. H

Jul 16, 2009, 1:40:49 PM7/16/09

"Hilary" <.> wrote in message
================
The other funny thing I've seen him do is when he is housecleaning - poop,
seeds and other bits of treats he has stored for eating later are sent
flying out the door of his domain. While I like most animals, dogs are my
real passion so it really is a big surprise to see how much me, and the
family have taken to this little fur-ball and I believe the feeling is
mutual. He has made no attempt to bite, and he comes when called whether in
his bed or in his wheel.

I have cut down on the amount of carrots I give him and stopped the Craisins
so can report that his urine has lightened up considerably. I reported in
my first post that the condition of his fur concerned me - well I'm happy to
say he is looking very good. It's long, a silky grey color with no baldy
spots now - he loves to be brushed.

We figured out why he was missing tufts of fur on his head and shoulders
when we changed him to another bigger/ wheel with a shorter hub/stem - not
sure what it's called - with the old wheel his fur would get caught up and
pulled out when he used it. I don't know how old he is but we don't mind if
he's going to be around for a while.
Mrs. H

stomp...@gmail.com

Dec 29, 2016, 12:07:16 PM12/29/16
Mrs. h

my hamsters pee has been really orange and i dont know why.

Hilary

Dec 29, 2016, 9:34:46 PM12/29/16
Hi there,

It's possible it has a urine infection and there is a trace of blood in it.
You will usually notice a much stronger and slightly sickly smell. The
bedding will often be stained as well. Make sure their water bottle is
working OK, as they will need to drink more.

If the hamster is potty trained its relatively easy to get a urine sample by
washing out the potty/jar in clean running water (no detergent) and not
putting any litter or sawdust in it. If you do this during the day, the
hamster will stumble out half asleep when they wake later in the day and wet
before realising there is no litter. Then just pour it out into a clean
container (or food bag) to take to the vet for testing.

It's important to do this as it avoids unecessary antibiotics which have a
negative effect on their gut bacteria.

If there is no infection it is possible that something in the food may be
responsible, some of the chews are very highly coloured.

<stomp...@gmail.com> wrote in message

sumbulf...@gmail.com

Sep 16, 2017, 1:24:12 PM9/16/17
My hamster poty is orange In...colour after they are eating carrot

daisyj...@gmail.com

May 26, 2018, 10:58:20 PM5/26/18
My hamster is going though the same thing, he wasn’t drinking or eating his regular food, which is why he I think he has brown pee. I decided to feed him cucumbers because it has lots of water in it and it has seemed to help!