Light spots on nose (Syrian Hamster)

Nick Portalski

Feb 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/28/00
All,

We got a Syrian male hamster 4 weeks ago (he was 12 weeks old at the time).
He's a short haired satin variety (golden). When we got him we noticed a
very small light spot (very light beige - colour of sawdust) just above his
nose which the pet shop assured us was sawdust.

However, the spots have been growing (it's not sawdust!), although remain
very light in colour. It's almost like very short, very light coloured fur.
It's slowly been going up his nose towards the top of his head, although it
hasn't affected the end of his nose. After about a week it nearly cleared
up, but is now getting worse again.

It doesn't seem to bother him; he doesn't scratch at it or anything else and
he's still running around like a mad thing, so it doesn't seem to be
affecting him. I tried to wipe it with a bit of wet cotton wool, but can't
get anywhere near his nose!

Does anyone know what this could be? I'm thinking of taking him to the vet.

Regards,

Nick

Meghan

Feb 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/28/00
Do you have a picture to share with the newsgroup? I'm having a hard time
imagining what you are talking about. Is it a growth of some sort or is it
simply a coloration on the skin/fur of your hamster's nose? My boys' colors
have shifted a bit over time... I think it is part of growing old.

"Nick Portalski" <nick.po...@REMOVEparsec.co.uk> wrote in message

Nick Portalski

Feb 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/28/00
It doesn't look like a growth and I don't think its normal colour change as
it's over a very small patch. It's like the fur just above his nose and in
a straight line up to his head has gone very short and very light beige.
Imagine small bits of wet sawdust sticking closely to his skin, only I know
it's not sawdust (as it doesn't come off).

Thanks,

Nick

Meghan wrote in message
<3864B6DD13DFEB32.3091FCB8...@lp.airnews.net>...

Margaret Prow

Feb 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/29/00
Hi Nick,

Our hamster also has a small strip of very short hair on her nose going up to
her forehead. When we first got her, she chewed constantly at the bars of her
cages so much so that she rubbed off some of the fur. It's now grown in
whitey-grey and isn't so thick as the rest of her fur (she's a dark brown/white
hamster).

Maybe this is the problem?

Cheers, Margaret

Nick Portalski

Feb 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/29/00
After watching him again last night we are beginning to think that it's
caused by him sticking his hose through the bars when he chews them. As it
doesn't seem to be bothering him, or getting any worse, I think I'll leave
it for a few weeks to see what happens.

Thanks all,

Nick

lasiamat...@gmail.com

May 13, 2020, 1:24:05 PM5/13/20
Hi have the same thing with my hamster but mine is a syrin type

lpum...@gmail.com

May 29, 2020, 11:15:57 AM5/29/20
Consider a larger cage and of course I am sure he has a wheel. I did not know this until many years after having my hamster that the biting on the bars of the cage indicates boredom and frustration. Provide paper towel cardboard and other things.