PCMCIA parallel port access

Jon Elson

Oct 22, 2008, 6:04:06 PM10/22/08
Hello,

I have some programs that directly address EPP parallel port registers
to do GPIB and my own proprietary bus interfacing, and all that works
fine on the motherboard EPP port. I have some Quatech SPP-100 PC card
ports that have worked for the same function on Win95 systems. We are
moving all to Linux for the future, and need to interface to multiple
devices, so we need to get these PC card ports to work from Linux as
well. So far, I'm stymied.

The computer is a Gateway Profile 3, with a single PC card slot
controlled by a TI 1410 chip. The OS is ubuntu (kernel 2.6.15-magma,
with real-time rtai patch). It seems like the parport_cs driver needs
to be loaded, but when I do modprobe parport_cs I get this message :

Error inserting parport
Unknown symbol in module or unknown parameter

in dmesg, I see :
unknown symbol parport_pc_unregister_port
unknown symbol parport_pc_probe_port

pccardctl ident shows something that looks reasonable, identifying the
card in Socket 0: correctly, but pccardctl status shows :
Socket 0:
no card

which seems a bit bizarre. There are no /dev/lp* device files, and I
can't make much sense of the /proc/ioports file, but I don't see any
change with the PC card in or out.

Does any of this ring a bell for anyone? I don't really need the
driver, I just need the device to be properly enumerated and configured
at some I/O port address, and I should be able to take it from there.
If anyone needs further data from the system, just let me know.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Jon

Ian.

Oct 25, 2008, 7:51:04 AM10/25/08
On Wednesday, in article
jme...@wustl.edu "Jon Elson" wrote:

JE> The computer is a Gateway Profile 3, with a single PC card slot
JE> controlled by a TI 1410 chip. The OS is ubuntu (kernel 2.6.15-magma,
JE> with real-time rtai patch). It seems like the parport_cs driver needs
JE> to be loaded, but when I do modprobe parport_cs I get this message :
JE>
JE> Error inserting parport
JE> Unknown symbol in module or unknown parameter

Just guessing, but looking at my BasicLinux setup for a regular
parallel port, I insmod two modules ..
insmod parport
insmod parport_pc

then theres a few more because I do this to use a parallel port
zip drive.

perhaps you should do
insmod parport
insmod parport_cs

then there would probably be some more modules before you run card
manager. Or perhaps they would need loading before or between
the parport modules. Thats the sort of approach Id take if I
was trying to work it out. Im guessing that your parport_cs is
complaining that its not getting something that some other
modules should provide.

BasicLinux doesnt use modprobe. If thats rubbish, forgive me.
Im no expert.

Oh, and, if you dont have one, you'll need to create a suitable
/dev/*** file. I would expect that card managers output would
provide a clue as to what it should be called. I think the prog
to do this is called "mknod", but dont ask me what the syntax is.

--
Ian.