DOS Drivers

vjp...@at.biostrategist.dot.dot.com

Jan 6, 2008, 9:54:33 PM1/6/08
Did old PCMCIA products require device-specific drivers in DOS?

I have a Compaq Contura Aero 4/33 and I tried a Toshiba PCMCIA floppy
and a generic modem on it and they don't work.

- = -
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/vjp2/vasos.htm
[Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Remorse begets zeal] [Windows is for Bimbos]

Mike S.

Jan 7, 2008, 11:36:52 AM1/7/08

In article <fls499$cqb$1...@reader2.panix.com>,

<vjp...@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com> wrote:
>Did old PCMCIA products require device-specific drivers in DOS?

Yes.

Either you needed a suite of card and socket services drivers, or for
simple devices like modems, a single "enabler" utility was often enough to
get the drvice working on the fly/

vjp...@at.biostrategist.dot.dot.com

Jan 19, 2008, 9:42:19 PM1/19/08
Many thanks, got the enabler. Am logged in this way. Besides the
enabler I also needed ssvlsi.exe. I wonder if there aren't more such
drivers I need to understand.

But it only worked for a modem from the same mfgr.

I've also had trouble getting a floppy drive or flash disk
work on the same PCMCIA port if they werent from same mfgr.

(Compaq Contura Aero)