WHO IS FORTY OR MORE?

1 view

Megg

Sep 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/16/97

Who in here is forty or older..this is as bad as the soc. penpals...
Sorry to be so sarcastic but I heard that these posting are more mature...
WELLLLLLLLLLLL?????????

AngelDeva

Sep 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/16/97

Who in here is forty or older..this is as bad as the soc. penpals...
Sorry to be so sarcastic but I heard that these posting are more mature...
WELLLLLLLLLLLL?????????
********************
Gezzzz, I get so tired of this. Do you mean that being over 40 means that
we have to sit in a rocking chair & spout philosphy and ramblings of days
longggggggg gone by?? Why can't we have fun & keep our spirits young &
happy, why should we be sour & dull?? If this is what it is like being over
40, then may I remain 20 forever...........well, at least in spirit........
*~*AngelDeva*~* )O(
"When you finally allow yourself to trust joy and embrace it, you will
find you dance with everything." (Emmanuel)

A.L. Lamb

Sep 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/16/97

In article <01bcc264$b01add40$98e88dce@default>, Megg
<mgr...@ameritech.net> writes

>Who in here is forty or older..this is as bad as the soc. penpals...
>Sorry to be so sarcastic but I heard that these posting are more mature...
>WELLLLLLLLLLLL?????????

Okay so it must be PMS or something, cos I normally make it a rule to
always ignore critical post, but today I read this one and just saw red.

*WHY* is it that people who don't know anything about us, or what we
talk about in total over time, rather than an instant snapshot, or why
we do it here, and, who have never contributed, think it's acceptable to
critisise? If they don't like the look of apfpy, there are zillions of
other newsgroups to choose from,....I just don't understand what makes
them tick.......oh and then they say *sorry* as if that makes their
behavior acceptable somehow!

Angela. <sighing and going for a coffee>

Ron Woffenden

Sep 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/16/97

It really amazes me that there are some people who come into a newsgroup
cold, and shoot from the lip, especially when they don't know what they
are talking about. To compare this newsgroup to soc.penpals is like
comparing a warm summer day to a blast from winter.

I am 46, and I'm not dead yet. I'm also a newbie to this newsgroup, and
this newsgroup is a breath of fresh air compared to other newsgroups. I
have a sense of humour, and so do most of the people in here. I enjoy
reading the sometimes whacky and sometimes irreverent posts and

Who said that at forty people had to be "mature", and couldn't let their
hair down. Life is serious enough. Lighten up Megg.

Ron

[Who in here is forty or older..this is as bad as the soc. penpals...

Sorry to be so sarcastic but I heard that these posting are more
mature...

WELLLLLLLLLLLL?????????]

vegasmj

Sep 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/16/97

Trevor Speight wrote:

> Now people, please.
>
> Megg has a perfect right to seek maturity and wisdom. Hello Megg,
> I`m a sensible person, and without wishing to seem critical, frankly
> a whole lot more grown up than this rabble.
>
> What would you like to talk about my dear?
>
> Trev.

Oh, Trev, this is one of your best. ROTFL

mj

> In message <01bcc264$b01add40$98e88dce@default>

See Signature

Sep 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/16/97

On 16 Sep 1997 02:50:09 GMT, "Megg" <mgr...@ameritech.net> wrote:

>Who in here is forty or older..this is as bad as the soc. penpals...
>Sorry to be so sarcastic but I heard that these posting are more mature...
>WELLLLLLLLLLLL?????????

Be patient. You will understand eventually.

Eugene A. Calame eaca...@texas.net
Austin, Texas USA

Trevor Speight

See Signature

Sep 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/16/97

On Tue, 16 Sep 1997 17:48:55 GMT, see-si...@bottom.com (See Signature)
wrote:

>On 16 Sep 1997 02:50:09 GMT, "Megg" <mgr...@ameritech.net> wrote:
>

>>Who in here is forty or older..this is as bad as the soc. penpals...
>>Sorry to be so sarcastic but I heard that these posting are more mature...
>>WELLLLLLLLLLLL?????????
>

>Be patient. You will understand eventually.

I forgot to sincerely Welcome you to the group.

Resistance if futile. You will be assimilated. :-)

AnglNdevil

Sep 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/16/97

Hi....I am definitely 40 + about 10....or as I prefer to say....29 for the
21st time...LOL

vegasmj

Sep 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/16/97

Megg wrote:

> Who in here is forty or older..this is as bad as the soc. penpals...
> Sorry to be so sarcastic but I heard that these posting are more mature...
> WELLLLLLLLLLLL?????????

The Internet world is passing you by, Megg, as you complain about people
you know little about. If you don't want to take part it's your loss.
Most of us are mature enough (years have nothing to do with it) to sit
back and get to know a newsgroup before critiquing it. I feel confident
I am not alone when I say I have lurked in many newsgroups that I found
not my 'cup of tea'. I quietly departed without a word. It worked for
them which was the important thing, not what I personally thought of it.
It didn't work for me so I went elsewhere. Simple as that.

We don't hold grudges so if you still want to lurk a while and get a
better perspective, please do so. After you have joined in, if you still
want to complain, that's ok but please take some action on improving
what you don't like. Post new subjects, ones you would like to discuss.
Many complainers never offer anything to change what they are
complaining about. You'd be amazed at the friends you meet and how your
email friends continue to grow from this NG. This is coming from someone
who has met some of the group personally and will be meeting another one
in two weeks. I have made more friends in the newsgroup than I ever
imagined the day I came strolling through the door. Sure glad I did.
It's the best on the net!!

mj who reluctantly admits to being more than forty :-)

Ron Woffenden

Sep 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/16/97

Thanks Barb, glad to be here.

Kyoteee wrote:
> Beautifully said, Ron!! BTW, welcome to this young-at-heart ng. <g>
>
> Barb

JohnR

Sep 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/16/97

Well said MJ!!!Come on Megg!,stick around! You will learn to love to
love us!! A warm welcome!!

JohnR :-)(Quite a bit over 40)

Reality is the leading cause of stress,
for those in touch with it.

Brian Foster

Sep 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/16/97

In article <01bcc264$b01add40$98e88dce@default>, Megg
<mgr...@ameritech.net> writes
>Who in here is forty or older..this is as bad as the soc. penpals...
>Sorry to be so sarcastic but I heard that these posting are more mature...
>WELLLLLLLLLLLL?????????

Hi Megg,

Stay around for a while and see if you like either the people or the
posts.

If you like what you see then you may decide to stay and contribute...if
not then you have lost nothing...just give it a try and see if you
change your mind...no one will force you to stay ;))

Regards

Brian
Birmingham

Christoffersen

Sep 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/16/97

See Signature wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Sep 1997 17:48:55 GMT, see-si...@bottom.com (See Signature)
> wrote:

On 16 Sep 1997 02:50:09 GMT, "Megg" <mgr...@ameritech.net> wrote:

Who in here is forty or older..this is as bad as the soc. penpals...
Sorry to be so sarcastic but I heard that these posting are more
mature...
WELLLLLLLLLLLL?????????

Be patient. You will understand eventually.

I forgot to sincerely Welcome you to the group.

Resistance if futile. You will be assimilated. :-)

Eugene A. Calame eaca...@texas.net
Austin, Texas USA

Eugene, LOL...you have class!!

CarolC

Christoffersen

Sep 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/16/97

Trevor Speight wrote:

> Now people, please.
>
> Megg has a perfect right to seek maturity and wisdom. Hello Megg,
> I`m a sensible person, and without wishing to seem critical, frankly
> a whole lot more grown up than this rabble.
>
> What would you like to talk about my dear?
>
> Trev.

Trev,

You never cease to amaze me!! Are you a chameleon or what? You better
remember, the "Meggs" of this world come and go, this group lives on
forever and you'll have to live with us even after this one gets the
hint and leaves :)

CarolC

Pat Carbone

Sep 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/17/97

My gawd, a Borg! I knew you'd all get here eventually. :-)

Patricia

Alan J Holmes

Sep 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/17/97

In article <341F03...@clarityconnect.com>,

Christoffersen <chri...@clarityconnect.com> wrote:
>Trevor Speight wrote:

>> Now people, please.

>> Megg has a perfect right to seek maturity and wisdom. Hello Megg,
>> I`m a sensible person, and without wishing to seem critical, frankly
>> a whole lot more grown up than this rabble.

>> What would you like to talk about my dear?

>You never cease to amaze me!! Are you a chameleon or what? You better
>remember, the "Meggs" of this world come and go, this group lives on
>forever and you'll have to live with us even after this one gets the
>hint and leaves :)

But he'll still claim to be 'more grown up than this
rabble!'(:-)

Alan

Alan J Holmes

Sep 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/17/97

In article <19970916183...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,

AnglNdevil <angln...@aol.com> wrote:
>Hi....I am definitely 40 + about 10....or as I prefer to say....29 for the
>21st time...LOL

Can't help feeling I beat you by a good many years!

About another 29!

Alan

Trevor Speight

Sep 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/17/97

Yes but that wasn`t me, that was Me,or was it him, or them?
why ask us?.

trev - chameleon...hmmmm its a thought i suppose...

In message <5vod81$g...@loki.brunel.ac.uk>

AnglNdevil

Sep 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/17/97

Hi Guys....

Yes...I AM forty or more....Actually almost plus 11 more....and very proud
of it...

I am from Kansas, the rolling Flint Hills, prime cattle country....and I
wanted to become a part of this newsgroup, because I thought it would be a
wonderful way to meet and become acquainted with people my own age.

I guess I got off to a bad start with one of my postings, but almost all
of you have been so very nice about it (I really was stupid, I know)....but
I guess we all are on occasion.

I have a wide variety of interests, including travel, cooking, playing the
piano, and owning my own business, so I think that the others on the NG
would be wonderful people to get to know.

Looking forward to learning all about each of you...

Sandy

Isabel

Sep 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/17/97

In article <01bcc264$b01add40$98e88dce@default>, Megg
<mgr...@ameritech.net> writes
>Who in here is forty or older..this is as bad as the soc. penpals...
>Sorry to be so sarcastic but I heard that these posting are more mature...
>WELLLLLLLLLLLL?????????

Well...I've got to come out of the closet and say it.....I'm, fifty plus
and those who know me will tell you that I'm the busiest....livliest..
dottiest..most curious...wine making, choral singing, weeding and
propogating, cat loving,story writing thespian, mother of two, school
teacher in the South of England...phew...my friends say just talking to
me makes them exhausted....I wonder why????

In the New Year I hope to take up a place on the Town Council and I
will be co=ordinating the local Arts Festival....I really must grow up
and stop this immature behaviour.....<G>

--
Isabel

Paul Goetze

Sep 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/17/97

On 17 Sep 1997 14:10:44 GMT, angln...@aol.com (AnglNdevil) wrote:

Hi Sandy, pleased to meet you! And, no, you were not being stupid. As
newcomers to ANYTHING we tend to be a touch overly sensitive. Give us
time to prove ourselves to you. Of course, just like you we are a
mixture of angel 'n devil so don't expect perfection. See recent posts
for proof of that. :-))) Paul.

_________________________

Paul Goetze email to:
bfor...@ns.sympatico.ca
_________________________

Kyoteee

Sep 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/17/97

Ron Woffenden <ron...@niagara.com> wrote:

>It really amazes me that there are some people who come into a newsgroup
>cold, and shoot from the lip, especially when they don't know what they
>are talking about. To compare this newsgroup to soc.penpals is like
>comparing a warm summer day to a blast from winter.
>
>I am 46, and I'm not dead yet. I'm also a newbie to this newsgroup, and
>this newsgroup is a breath of fresh air compared to other newsgroups. I
>have a sense of humour, and so do most of the people in here. I enjoy
>reading the sometimes whacky and sometimes irreverent posts and
>
>Who said that at forty people had to be "mature", and couldn't let their
>hair down. Life is serious enough. Lighten up Megg.
>
>Ron

Beautifully said, Ron!! BTW, welcome to this young-at-heart ng. <g>

Barb

William Schackart

Sep 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/19/97

Hi, my name is Bill and I am 48 (12/21/48). But,I will plead guilty to
sometimes not being mature enough for my years. Maybe it is because
here in California we all are a little off-the-wall? I own a small
business and do all the things a guy my age should do,but you know what,I
really enjoy the people in this group who are 40+ . They put up with the
problems of modern life,jobs,kids,bills,take care of parents etc.,but
they still have that place in their hearts for good rock and roll,romance
and friends. I like this newsgroup because the REAL people are here!
Thats it. Bye

Sandra Jaqua

Sep 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/19/97

In article <5vt7s6$1o5a$1...@newssvr03-int.news.prodigy.com>,
SUL...@prodigy.com (William Schackart) wrote:

Hey Bill! We need another laid back Californian in this group!
Welcome! Where in Ca are you? I live near the Empire of the Mouse.
Sandra

Bev

Sep 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/19/97

> In article <5vt7s6$1o5a$1...@newssvr03-int.news.prodigy.com>,
> SUL...@prodigy.com (William Schackart) wrote:
>

> >Hi, my name is Bill and I am 48 (12/21/48). But,I will plead guilty to
> >sometimes not being mature enough for my years. Maybe it is because
> >here in California we all are a little off-the-wall? I own a small
> >business and do all the things a guy my age should do,but you know what,I
> >really enjoy the people in this group who are 40+ . They put up with the
> >problems of modern life,jobs,kids,bills,take care of parents etc.,but
> >they still have that place in their hearts for good rock and roll,romance
> >and friends. I like this newsgroup because the REAL people are here!
> >Thats it. Bye

Hi Bill,

Welcome from another Californian. We seem to be getting quite a group
here. I'm kind of near the mouse kingdom, but not as close as Sandra.
Guess we are spread out everywhere. : )

Bev

Macy

Sep 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/19/97

William

Greetings from a ng member who thus must be real and also happens to be
from CA, though not anywhere near the Mouse Kindom.

Hope you ignore the ruckus in here, we are having a party and the men
desided to have a fisticuffs session (see Trevors Party Description...very
apt). It will indeed calm down in a while, been through it a few
times...though perhaps not with quite so many or quite so loud.

Anyway, hang in here, and speak up. We need all the new blood (oppps, just
kidding) errrr, people we can get, seem to be losing a lot of regulars
lately.

Macy

William Schackart

Sep 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/20/97

Hello Sandra, I live in Santa Maria Ca.,it is on US101 about 75 miles
north of
Santa Barbara, just a few miles south of Pismo Beach and San Luis Obispo.

I like it here,your in the country,but in ten minutes you can be walking
on the beach at sunset ,no big crowds or traffic ,yet. Santa Maria itself
is growing a bit,but still an agriculcultural area. When I first moved
here in 1980 from Covina,Ca.,I was totally convinced the CCR song
lyrics"OH LORD STUCK IN LODI AGAIN" were really written for Santa Maria
but it didn't rhyme so they used Lodi instead. But I feel at home here
and wouldn't leave it for the world.
Better quit bending your ear,take good care of yourself,hope to talk to
you again. Bill

vegasmj

Sep 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/20/97

Bill, I just had to pop in from Las Vegas and tell you that I love Santa
Maria. Until a 3 years ago I live in California and Santa Maria was one
of the spots we often camped. We used to go clam digging (I hate clams,
BTW) in Pismo Beach and have slept under the stars there many time.

Las Vegas is getting to be such a big city, maybe I should grab a
sleeping bag and become a beach bum instead. :-)

mj

William Schackart

Sep 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/20/97

Hi Clyde,you have a point there,I have stood right on the San Andreas
fault and it is an awsome sight,we all know someday we are going to be in
big trouble,but here we stay,like lemmings waiting to take the plunge,but
then we wouldn't be true Californians if we exercised common sense.Btw do
you think that is what the government means when they talk about the
people who have fallen thru the cracks? Cheers,Bill

Clyde W. Rigsby

Sep 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/20/97

William Schackart wrote:

> Hi, my name is Bill and I am 48 (12/21/48). But,I will plead guilty
> sometimes not being mature enough for my years. Maybe it is because
> here in California we all are a little off-the-wall? I own a small
> business and do all the things a guy my age should do,but you know
> what,I
> really enjoy the people in this group who are 40+ . They put up with
> the
> problems of modern life,jobs,kids,bills,take care of parents etc.,but
> they still have that place in their hearts for good rock and
> roll,romance
> and friends. I like this newsgroup because the REAL people are here!
> Thats it. Bye

Hi Bill
My name is Clyde and I like your style. That may not be worth anything
on the street (street value varies from city to city, check your local
dealer) but I too like the people in this ng. They have the fire that
is necessary to make it to alt.penpals.eighty-years-plus and that bodes
well for all.

Hey Megg, here's the buzz. The pressures of life, bills, kids, rabbits,
ageing parents, dogs, disabilities, sickness etc. are the day to day
things you *have* to deal with. In hear, you only deal with what you
want. If you think you can be a firebrand and change the group, well
good on ya and step up to the plate! Be aware, Megg, there are some
*very* strong orators here, with a great love of rhetoric so you best
bring the BIG bat.
On the other hand, you will find many who have a genuine interest in
communication and will be glad to share their experiences with you.

It is your choice, of course. If you see the combatants of a flame war
as the leaders of the ng, you, unfortunately, began your digging in a
poor spot. If conversely, you have some patience and are able to endure
the flames from a lurking port, you will find much good will and
enormous humour in the writings.

So, welcome, if you wish to stay and s'long, it's been good to know you,
if you have to go. Just remember, many of us see humour as the antidote
to the horrors of life (Di's, Dodi's and the driver's senseless deaths
for example). It helps us make it through the night.

Clyde < What ever gets you thru the night, is all right, it's all
right.... > :-)

Clyde W. Rigsby

Sep 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/20/97

William Schackart wrote:

> Hi Bev, your right, there do seem to be more and more people from
> California
> going on line everyday. We have a reputation of being on the cutting
> edge,
> or is it we have all gone over the edge? I'm not sure anymore. I think
> it
> was Frank Lloyd Wright who once remarked about California,"it's as if
> someone turned the United States on it's side and everything that was
> loose and not bolted down rolled into California". Pretty rude huh? Oh
>
> well, I am glad to meet you. Be good. Bill

Ya Bill, but with that big crack in the crust, won't CA break off before
everything gets there? ;-)

Clyde < Where can we go, when there's no San Francisco, better get
ready to tie up your boats in Idaho.... >

Clyde W. Rigsby

Sep 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/20/97

AnglNdevil wrote:

> Hi....I am definitely 40 + about 10....or as I prefer to say....29 for
> the
> 21st time...LOL

Me too on the 29th. It is a long journey. Gad, my feet hurt!

Clyde < Well I'm walking the floor over you.... > :-)

Bev

Sep 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/20/97

Hi Guys,

Have to add-on here, hope you don't mind Clyde. I never got he original
post ; ( I think it's because we walk on the edge and keep falling
off!! One nice thing about being a Californian, no one cares what you
do or how crazy you get. Just smile and tell 'em - I'm from California.
They just smile and say "oh". Get away with a lot that way. And I love
Pismo Beach, used to vacation there and walk the beaches. Very nice.
Sure miss the roar of the ocean, all I get is smog.

Bev

William Schackart

Sep 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/20/97

William Schackart

Sep 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/20/97

Hi MJ, Hey,if you do come out this way,let me know.I will buy you a tall
cool one at Trader Nicks in Pismo Beach. I know what you mean about Las
Vegas, I went there in April to visit some friends and stayed at the
Luxor,Looking out from the 20th floor you could sure see a lot of housing
tracs where the desert used to be.It was fun for a couple days,but I was
glad to get back here in the slow lane again.Bye

Di Molloy

Sep 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/21/97

In article <34249F...@earthlink.net>, Bev <bev...@earthlink.net>
>Hi Guys,
>
>Have to add-on here, hope you don't mind Clyde. I never got he original
>post ; ( I think it's because we walk on the edge and keep falling
>off!! One nice thing about being a Californian, no one cares what you
>do or how crazy you get. Just smile and tell 'em - I'm from California.
>They just smile and say "oh". Get away with a lot that way. And I love
>Pismo Beach, used to vacation there and walk the beaches. Very nice.
>Sure miss the roar of the ocean, all I get is smog.
>
>Bev
oh!..I see......I was wondering why! two years ago when I was in Crete I
hired a scooter and my youngest daughter insisted on putting her makeup
on as I was sitting at the lights...yeah she had the lipstick out...
some bloke, in an open top car shouted.....you are in the wrong
place...this is not California!!!

Di
--

_____
/ | |

Michael Hudson

Sep 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/21/97

Howdy Bill,
I was watching the news a couple of days ago and saw something about
Californians which I found curiously funny. The report was all about the
hurricane that was or maybe is still threatening the west coast. With all of
the natural disasters Californians have had over the years I would think they
would be immune to most anything but I was really surprised at all of the
people living on the shore who were preparing for the hurricane of the
century. Just seemed out of character somehow. {{{:-(*)

Mike
--
Man is not a rational animal; he is a rationalizing animal.
Robert A. Heinlein, "Tunnel In The Sky", 1955

William Schackart

Sep 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/21/97

I spent the day in San Fernando valley last week,a family member was
having an operation, I must admit,I wasn't sure if I was happier because
he came out ok or that I could head home. Smog wasn't too bad that day,
but I scored a couple quick IN-N-OUT cheesburgers and headed back to
Santa Maria about as fast as my old Camaro would take me.

Clyde W. Rigsby

Sep 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/24/97

William Schackart wrote:

> Hi Clyde,you have a point there,I have stood right on the San Andreas
> fault and it is an awsome sight,we all know someday we are going to be
> in
> big trouble,but here we stay,like lemmings waiting to take the
> plunge,but
> then we wouldn't be true Californians if we exercised common sense.Btw
> do
> you think that is what the government means when they talk about the
> people who have fallen thru the cracks? Cheers,Bill

Bill
I love that, fallen thru the cracks. < VBG> I think that the government
is really talking about the cars that disappear in the holes in the
roads, at least that is the meaning in Edmonton in the spring.
I flew over the San Andreas fault once in the afternoon on a remarkably
clear day. We could see for 200 miles I guess and it is truly an awe
inspiring sight as was LA the first time I flew in there at night.
Seems to go on for ever.
Be well Bill, and may you have no smog alerts in your life.

Clyde < On a clear day, rise and look around you, and you'll see.....
> :-)

AnglNdevil

Sep 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/27/97

Hi Clyde....

Wow...love to meet a fellow Scorpio....or Scorpion as some of my friends
think about me....<G>

And on the 29th too....Good heavens...we must be soulmates...we'll have to
write more another time and find out if we have anything else in common...

BTW...are you an only child too???

Sandy

AnglNdevil

Sep 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/27/97

It's really nice to meet you Bill....there are many of us that can relate
to each and every one of those problems, but the Old Time Rock and Roll is
really hard to beat....and romance....(not over the hill yet<g>)

Great to have you a part of this group

Sandy