what I hate the nmost

Random

Sep 21, 1993, 3:43:03 PM9/21/93
What I hate the most is people who feel they need to lie about
something when the truth would just be so much better.

If you don't want to be with someone, just tell them and DON'T
make them feel like assholes if they ask you if there is anything
wrong.

What I also hate is people who feel it is necessary to sneak around your
back.
And you know who you are.
--
Random * What I've felt, what I've known
mve...@ux4.cso.uiuc.edu * never shined through in what I've shown.

Jenny Gutbezahl

Sep 21, 1993, 4:22:05 PM9/21/93
OK, I'll bite....

In article <27nlg7$m...@vixen.cso.uiuc.edu>,

Random <mve...@ux4.cso.uiuc.edu> wrote:
> What I hate the most is people who feel they need to lie about
> something when the truth would just be so much better.

Ah, but Random, my friend, you've completely overlooked the obvious
epistomological dilemma. What is truth? How can something undefined
be better? What type of moral (better vs. worse) judgments can you
make about something as amorphous as this alleged "truth" to which you
refer so blithely.

> If you don't want to be with someone, just tell them and DON'T
> make them feel like assholes if they ask you if there is anything
> wrong.

OH! You want *candor* That's much easier to access than truth.

Here goes:

We don't like you. We don't want you posting to our group. We think
you *are* an asshole, and if you feel like one as a result of someone
else's behavior, well, that someone else is doing the world a favor.
Perhaps if this happens enough you will become so distraught that life
will no longer seem worth living and you'll take your own life. Then
you'll stop wasting the vital resources which are running out so
quickly on this poor planet of ours.

Peeve: People who go on and on about recycling when it would be so
much more effective to kill off the parasites & unnecessary people.
There's too many people competing for too few resources. It would be
just as effective to decrease the number of people vying for these
resources as to try to stretch the resources.

Jenny
jen...@twain.ucs.umass.edu is Jenny Gutbezahl at Univ of Mass, Amherst
"Abusus no tollit usum -- NOT" -Daniel Radosh

Rick Gordon

Sep 21, 1993, 4:27:26 PM9/21/93
mve...@ux4.cso.uiuc.edu (Melissa Ann Venaas) writes:

> What I hate the most is people who feel they need to lie about
> something when the truth would just be so much better.

Agreed: scum.

> If you don't want to be with someone, just tell them and DON'T
> make them feel like assholes if they ask you if there is anything
> wrong.

Tell it, Melissa. The truth hurts, but only momentarily. Not like,
say, a Loisville Slugger applied with vigor to the mastoid process in
a fit of blind rage. Now *that* hurts for a *long* time.

> What I also hate is people who feel it is necessary to sneak around your
> back.
> And you know who you are.

Begging your pardon if this should be off-topic, but: You're not running
for Homecoming Queen by any chance, are you?

> mve...@ux4.cso.uiuc.edu * never shined through in what I've shown.

--
Rick Gordon | "The more things change, the more different they get."
ri...@netcom.com | -- S. Krishna of Copenhagen

No parking EXCEPT FOR BOB

Sep 21, 1993, 8:23:30 PM9/21/93
jen...@twain.ucs.umass.edu (Jenny Gutbezahl) writes:

>Peeve: People who go on and on about recycling when it would be so
>much more effective to kill off the parasites & unnecessary people.
>There's too many people competing for too few resources. It would be
>just as effective to decrease the number of people vying for these
>resources as to try to stretch the resources.

I have always agreed with this. I still do.

The peeve? Depending on the criteria, I recognize that I might not
make the cut. The ability to contribute highly technical expertise
might not be sufficient, in my present state of not having anyone
very interested in tapping those abilities.

The line between contributing members of society and the unnecessary
is far less obvious than I used to think it. And by my own prior
criteria, I think I've been sent to the weak side.

What next?

Bob "would you like fries with that?" O'Bob?
I sure hope not.

Beldar Conehead

Sep 22, 1993, 10:21:45 AM9/22/93
In <obrienCD...@netcom.com> obr...@netcom.com (No parking EXCEPT FOR BOB) writes:

> Bob "would you like fries with that?" O'Bob?

You mean a job in the ever-expanding field of landscaping is out of
the question?
-Bill, "would you like kentucky fescue or centipede?"
--
"Never have so many given so much, that so few
could be so happy." - Maj. Frank Burns, USAR

Don Baldwin

Sep 22, 1993, 3:57:58 PM9/22/93
In article <obrienCD...@netcom.com> obr...@netcom.com

(No parking EXCEPT FOR BOB) writes:
>The line between contributing members of society and the unnecessary
>is far less obvious than I used to think it. And by my own prior
>criteria, I think I've been sent to the weak side.
>
>What next?

A light bulb going on over your head? You're so close...

Mega!Peeve: The Unforgiven. Great movie, does a wonderful job of
de-glamorizing violence.

I especially love the part where Eastwood's character is talking to the
kid, who has just killed his first man.
Kid: Well, he had it coming, for what he did.
EC: We ALL have it coming, kid.

If we divide people into Contributing and Unnecessary categories, we all
(sooner or later) find ourselves facing the quandry of being temporarily
in the group that we previously considered unnecessary.

don

Geoff Miller

Sep 22, 1993, 4:23:56 PM9/22/93

>Mega!Peeve: The Unforgiven. Great movie, does a wonderful job of
> de-glamorizing violence.

Peeve: Movies of an ostensibly traditional genre with politically correct
messages. I'm glad I haven't paid to see this flick.

Geoff

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
Geoff Miller + + + + + + + + Sun Microsystems
geo...@purplehaze.Corp.Sun.COM + + + + + + + + Menlo Park, California
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

Don Baldwin

Sep 22, 1993, 6:04:11 PM9/22/93
In article <27qc8s$3...@jethro.Corp.Sun.COM> geo...@purplehaze.Corp.Sun.COM
writes:

>>Mega!Peeve: The Unforgiven. Great movie, does a wonderful job of
>> de-glamorizing violence.
>
>Peeve: Movies of an ostensibly traditional genre with politically correct
> messages. I'm glad I haven't paid to see this flick.

Look here, you right wing fruitcake ditto-head: this was a great movie!
It had violence, (implied) sex, Brit-bashing and plenty of bouncy babes.

Although, there was not one instance of a disemboweled Iraqi having his
face flamed off and being eaten alive by buzzards...not one closeup of a
beggar dying from a curable disease because she can't afford to see a
doctor...not one clip with Clinton's head exploding, as he eats the Barrel
of a Barrett.

So I'm afraid this movie isn't for you and you'll have to continue getting
your masturbatory delights from Faces of Death!

don

P.S. Your man lost in the election last November and you'll have to deal with
four more years of this compassionate shit, before another Iron Man
takes over.

No parking EXCEPT FOR BOB

Sep 22, 1993, 7:47:12 PM9/22/93
do...@netcom.com (Don Baldwin) writes:
> obr...@netcom.com (No parking EXCEPT FOR BOB) writes:
>>
>>What next?
>
>A light bulb going on over your head? You're so close...
>
>Mega!Peeve: The Unforgiven. Great movie, does a wonderful job of
> de-glamorizing violence.

Sounds great, don, want to see it again? I'll drive,
you buy the tickets `K?

Else-wise, I can't afford it. (peeve)

Bob O'Bob

Mike Weber

Sep 27, 1993, 12:57:56 AM9/27/93

In a previous article, jen...@twain.ucs.umass.edu (Jenny Gutbezahl) says:
>In article <27nlg7$m...@vixen.cso.uiuc.edu>,
>Random <mve...@ux4.cso.uiuc.edu> wrote:
>> What I hate the most is people who feel they need to lie about
>> something when the truth would just be so much better.

Peeve:
People doing something with the expectation of me reacting a certain way,
which of course I don't because (1) I don't care or (2) I lack the social
skills to know better
"Go ahead, Mike, take the last piece of pie"
"Gee thanks" *snatch*
"Why'd you do that Mike"?

>Peeve: People who go on and on about recycling when it would be so
>much more effective to kill off the parasites & unnecessary people.
>There's too many people competing for too few resources. It would be
>just as effective to decrease the number of people vying for these
>resources as to try to stretch the resources.

Peeve:
I was one of those people who kept saying "We should let the Somolians
starve...we'd just have to feed all their kids later...". NOW it turns out
sending people there was a waste of time anyway.

!Peeve:
My sister showed me this funny paragraph from some book she was reading
which described the ethics/code of the Human Destruction League(?)
which basically was a vow to spread deadly diseases and cause the demise
of anyone they met. What a hoot.

Mike Weber

Sep 27, 1993, 1:02:12 AM9/27/93

In a previous article, geo...@purplehaze.Corp.Sun.COM (Geoff Miller) says:

>>Mega!Peeve: The Unforgiven. Great movie, does a wonderful job of
>> de-glamorizing violence.
>

>Peeve: Movies of an ostensibly traditional genre with politically correct
> messages. I'm glad I haven't paid to see this flick.

Like The Posse? (The one with Black cowboys)

Geoff Miller

Sep 27, 1993, 1:03:20 PM9/27/93

do...@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Mike Weber) writes:

>Like The Posse? (The one with Black cowboys)

No, I haven't heard of that one. Is it worth renting?

By the way, I noticed that you capitalized "Black." Just out of
curiousity, do you also capitalize "White?"

Marc Cooper

Sep 27, 1993, 1:36:59 PM9/27/93
In article <2876co$8...@jethro.Corp.Sun.COM> geo...@purplehaze.Corp.Sun.COM writes:

>do...@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Mike Weber) writes:
>
>>Like The Posse? (The one with Black cowboys)
>

>No, I haven't heard of that one. Is it worth renting?

I dunno the answer to this. not seen it. the previews looked cute, though.

I DO know, however, that 'The Posse' was not striving to simply be PC, and that
in fact a 'significant portion' (if the quips from the historians that I
remember from reading reviews of the movie) of the cowboys in the "ol' west"
were black.

--
Marc Cooper - Graphics Programmer - Sverdrup Tech.| "Misfeasance, malfeasance,
fsm...@lerc.nasa.gov | nonfeasance, and mopery

Elaine Richards

Sep 27, 1993, 4:05:56 PM9/27/93
>do...@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Mike Weber) writes:
>>Like The Posse? (The one with Black cowboys)
>
>By the way, I noticed that you capitalized "Black." Just out of
>curiousity, do you also capitalize "White?"

If African Americans could tell you which country their ancestors
were from, I am sure one could say/spell Nigerian or Ugandan.
However, given that its sort of hard to tell after they were
swiped and tossed in ships which part of Africa they were from,
we have to make do with either African American or Black. We
used to use the word Negroes (note the capitalization) until
it became less popular among the people so mentioned.

One does not capitalize white, but one does capitalize Caucasian.

ER
"If only we'd stop trying to be happy we'd have a pretty good time."
-Edith Wharton

Jenny Gutbezahl

Sep 27, 1993, 5:00:06 PM9/27/93
Geoff Miller <geo...@purplehaze.Corp.Sun.COM> wrote:

>do...@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Mike Weber) writes:
>
>>Like The Posse? (The one with Black cowboys)
>

>By the way, I noticed that you capitalized "Black." Just out of
>curiousity, do you also capitalize "White?"

Um . . .

I haven't seen or heard of this one, but perhaps there is a family
named Black who are all cowboys. Then the capitalization makes sense.
You know, the Gutbezahl pickle slicers, the Miller cat ranchers, the
Clayton toilet cleaners, the Black cowboys.

Makes sense to me.

Yours in linguistic purity,

Jenny
jen...@twain.ucs.umass.edu is Jenny Gutbezahl at Univ of Mass, Amherst

"Abusus non tollit usum -- NOT" -Daniel Radosh

Geoff Miller

Sep 27, 1993, 6:10:17 PM9/27/93
boo...@autodesk.com (Elaine Richards) writes:

>If African Americans could tell you which country their ancestors
>were from, I am sure one could say/spell Nigerian or Ugandan.
>However, given that its sort of hard to tell after they were
>swiped and tossed in ships which part of Africa they were from,
>we have to make do with either African American or Black.

>One does not capitalize white, but one does capitalize Caucasian.

I figure that if "white" isn't capitalized, then "black" shouldn't
be, either. If people don't have a capitalizable equivalent of
"Caucasian" because they don't know exactly where their ancestors
were from, well, that's unfortunate, but there it is. I can't see
that some sort of bogus terminological workaround should be implemented
simply because of the unsavory circumstances of their immigration.
The conventions for that sort of thing are disjoint from historical
circumstances, and are certainly disjoint from any sociopolitical
agenda.

I've made the observation in the past that a certain amount of insight
about some people can often be gained from the way they'll pointedly
capitalize "Black" but not "white." I tend to jump on this whenever I
encounter it on the Net, because it often serves to expose a writer's
own prejudices even as he denounces those of others.

Beldar Conehead

Sep 28, 1993, 9:32:19 AM9/28/93
In <287h34$k...@autodesk.autodesk.com> boo...@autodesk.com (Elaine Richards) writes:

>If African Americans could tell you which country their ancestors
>were from, I am sure one could say/spell Nigerian or Ugandan.
>However, given that its sort of hard to tell after they were
>swiped and tossed in ships which part of Africa they were from,
>we have to make do with either African American or Black.

Yeah, but just HOW does one know whether their ancestors were
swiped or whether they came over by other, less dubious means?

There were the "Uncle Toms" (or whatever they'd be called) who
helped the slave traders capture other Africans. Then there are
the voluntary emigrants. Then there are the "colorless" people
who had no choice at all, but to flee their homelands and about
the only safe place at the time was the U.S.

What the whiners of our society fail to realize is that NO MATTER
HOW their ancestors got here, they are here now and like everyone else
have the freedom to choose whether to make the most of things here
or to pursue living elsewhere. We should remember our past, sure,
but to use it as an excuse is just to admit failure in the present.

>We used to use the word Negroes (note the capitalization) until
>it became less popular among the people so mentioned.

Calling someone a negro is out, but calling them black or Af-Am
is okay. Calling someone "a person of color" is okay, yet the
virtually identical "colored" will get you 5 across the lip.
-Bill, and forgive me for posting and peeving the obvious, willya.

David Garrett

Sep 28, 1993, 11:34:22 AM9/28/93
In article <287oc9$8...@jethro.Corp.Sun.COM> geo...@purplehaze.Corp.Sun.COM writes:
>boo...@autodesk.com (Elaine Richards) writes:
>
>>If African Americans could tell you which country their ancestors
>>were from, I am sure one could say/spell Nigerian or Ugandan.
>>However, given that its sort of hard to tell after they were
>>swiped and tossed in ships which part of Africa they were from,
>>we have to make do with either African American or Black.
>
>>One does not capitalize white, but one does capitalize Caucasian.
>

>I figure that if "white" isn't capitalized, then "black" shouldn't
>be, either. If people don't have a capitalizable equivalent of
>"Caucasian" because they don't know exactly where their ancestors
>were from, well, that's unfortunate, but there it is. I can't see
>that some sort of bogus terminological workaround should be implemented
>simply because of the unsavory circumstances of their immigration.
>The conventions for that sort of thing are disjoint from historical
>circumstances, and are certainly disjoint from any sociopolitical
>agenda.
>
>I've made the observation in the past that a certain amount of insight
>about some people can often be gained from the way they'll pointedly
>capitalize "Black" but not "white." I tend to jump on this whenever I
>encounter it on the Net, because it often serves to expose a writer's
>own prejudices even as he denounces those of others.

Well, in that cultural arbiter of melanin-enhanced Americans
everywhere, _Ebony_ magazine, both White and Black are capitalized. I
first became aware of this when I used to read it regularly, as the
Excess-O would always have the latest issue lying around the house.

I don't remember if this stylistic convention was observed in _Jet_
or not, but then again it was basically a tabloid rag for the
Differently Pigmented, and as such exhibited about the same level
of literacy as its Caucasian counterparts. At least _Ebony_ had some
redeeming social value.

Dave

Articulate Mandible

Sep 28, 1993, 4:43:44 PM9/28/93

In article <287h34$k...@autodesk.autodesk.com>, boo...@autodesk.com (Elaine Richards) writes:
[other stuff]

|>One does not capitalize white, but one does capitalize Caucasian.

I used to capitalize both Black and White, at least when it came to malt.
--
Nolan "graduated to Islay malts now" Hinshaw
Internet: no...@twg.com Dingalingnet: (415)962-7197

Mike Weber

Oct 2, 1993, 9:22:55 PM10/2/93

In a previous article, geo...@purplehaze.Corp.Sun.COM (Geoff Miller) says:
>do...@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Mike Weber) writes:
>
>>Like The Posse? (The one with Black cowboys)
>

>No, I haven't heard of that one. Is it worth renting?
>
>By the way, I noticed that you capitalized "Black." Just out of
>curiousity, do you also capitalize "White?"

Not sure if the movie is any good, unfortunately, but the trailers I saw for
it didn't interest me. (I don't like Westerns either, for that matter, so
that's probally why it didnt interest me in the first place).

I always thought it was correct (~PC) to capitalize black, but I don't use
racial designations often enough to be sure. Then again, I'm sure as hell
not going to use the PC "hyphenated American" word either when I do.

Mike Weber

Dec 11, 2021, 11:50:17 AM12/11/21

Adam Thornton

Dec 14, 2021, 8:53:51 PM12/14/21
In article <ab273fe9-fe59-4eed...@googlegroups.com>,
Mike Weber <web...@polaris.net> wrote:
>On Saturday, October 2, 1993 at 9:22:55 PM UTC-4, Mike Weber wrote:
>> In a previous article, geo...@purplehaze.Corp.Sun.COM (Geoff Miller) says:

Weber, it's good to know you're still alive. Really.

But this is maybe out-Webering even yourself. Replying to a 28-year-old
post?!?

Adam