Receiving the gift of inspiration at will

Author of The Hidden Truth

Sep 30, 2012, 3:11:59 AM9/30/12
Inspiration can be a source of amazing insight, resulting in benefits to mankind from inventions and scientific discoveries. Chester Carlson, the inventor of xerographic copying and founder of the Xerox Company, attributed his invention to divine inspiration. Even more so, Mr. Carlson routinely embarked on a specific set of actions designed to result in the reception of divine inspiration at will. One could only imagine the possibilities for good in one’s life that could be realized from such a capability, and it leads to the thought of whether such a thing could even be possible.

Yes, it is possible, and thankfully there is more than one way to achieve this desirable outcome. For example, Mr. Carlson utilized daily meditation techniques to quiet his mind and prepare himself to be ready for an encounter with divine inspiration. However, few Westerners have the time or inclination to embark on a program of daily meditation. Rather, there are some tricks one could use to receive inspiration whenever there is a need that more easily fit our busy Western lifestyle.

The first step is to perceive a need that must be filled. Once the problem is clearly defined, state clearly the knowledge, assistance or advice that is needed to sate this need or problem. For example, if there is a problem at work, define exactly what the issue is, being specific and accurate. There is no benefit in asking for assistance to solve a problem if one’s own actions are the reason for the problem. Continuing, ask for guidance on how to solve the issue being faced. The next step is to embark on a private and personal activity you enjoy that allows your mind to relax. There are any number of activities that would be conducive to this requirement, and it’s up to you to figure the one that works best for you. For example, I personally like to read books or lift weights as my “quiet” activity. Others like to run, walk, bike, garden, watch television or sit on a porch swing and watch a quiet evening sky. While there are a number of activities that could meet the requirements of this step, the important point to remember is that it must be a personal activity during which no engagement occurs between you and another person. The mind must be allowed to relax and silently float in any direction it wills. If you were to engage in discourse with another person during this activity then your mind would not be relaxed and so it will not be receptive to divine inspiration, so it is best to find some hobby or activity that you enjoy to do on your own.

Perhaps the hardest part about receiving inspiration at will is being ready to record that inspiration once it is received. Inspiration passes from the super-conscious mind through the subconscious mind where it only lightly touches the waking conscious as if in a daydream. Those thoughts and ideas can be lost in seconds so it is incumbent on the recipient to be able to identify the point of inspiration, but also to be ready to record it immediately upon recognition. Any delay to search for pen and paper, or to ponder whether or not to record the idea, will almost assuredly result in the loss of the memory of that inspiration. Should a delay occur, you likely will remember being inspired but will feel frustrated at the attempt to try to recall the specifics of that inspiration later if it had not been written down immediately upon receipt. It would be better, therefore, to gain the habit of always having a pen and paper near to hand, especially when intending to prepare oneself to receive inspiration from the divine.

These “tricks” are not necessarily better than meditation to receive inspiration in a time of need, but they are perhaps more conducive to the Western cultural lifestyle. You can pick out what works best for you, and use it anytime you have a need. I routinely follow this method, and I attribute much of my success in college, work and life to asking for inspiration when I had a need, such as a need for the topic of an essay, or how to get ahead at work. It was like receiving a ‘cheat’ from on-high. :) If it can work for me, it could assuredly work for you.

Wade, author of The Hidden Truth, at www.thehiddentruth.us.