Xtian companies...what do YOU do?

The Polsons

Nov 21, 1994, 12:46:28 PM11/21/94
I'm sure this will end up prompting a flame war, but I have a question.
When you're looking through a catalog, and start seeing little bible
quotes in it, or you're picking out a store to patronize and see a big
"Jesus fish" in their yellow pages ad, what do you do? Do you go
elsewhere? Do you complain? Do you shop there anyway? Do you care?

THE FOLLOWING IS *MY* OPINION ONLY ... FLAME AT YOUR OWN RISK. The reason
I'm asking is that this really rubs me the wrong way. I don't want to have
Christianity shoved down my throat when innocently perusing a catalog or
magazine, nor do I appreciate businesses that are closed Sunday with a
sign on the door "See you in church!". I don't go to church...I just want
to buy some craft supplies. I really resent being prosthelytized to ...and
the business owner isn't even there! I don't want God on our money,
either, in case you were wondering.

I just want to be able to shop at a company, through the mail or in
person, and not feel like I'm doing something wrong by not belonging to
their religion. "Jesus said, 'I have come that they may have life and have
it to the full'" I read as I look at winter sweaters in the Sierra Trading
Post catalog.

Hey, I don't want a conversion, I just want a sweater. And you know what?
I'm not gonna buy it from them.

(PS - Are people interested in listing these companies here? Just wondering...)

-Willow (pol...@cruzio.com)
The green Earth sends her incense up
From many a mountain shrine;
From folded leaf and dewey cup
She pours her sacred wine. - John Greenleaf Whittier

Lance A. Brown

Nov 21, 1994, 2:21:21 PM11/21/94
If I find a company is inserting Christian "zippy quotes" in their
business literature I will use another company if possible.

Lance

Mary K. Kuhner

Nov 21, 1994, 5:45:51 PM11/21/94
I do shop at stores which display Christian fish or are closed on Sunday.
I think people should not have to hide their religion, just as I don't
want to have to hide mine. If there is a competitor who is Pagan, I
might choose them instead, but that's all.

Religious freedom and religious tolerance have to cut both ways, or
they're a joke. I help distribute fliers for my CUUPs chapter at
bookstores; a lot more pushy than the fish symbol. I wear a pentagram
around my neck.

Lots of anger against Christians on this newsgroup lately: understandable,
but really painful to listen to.

Mary Kuhner mkku...@genetics.washington.edu

Marie Bennett

Nov 22, 1994, 11:10:40 AM11/22/94
In <3asvm0$1...@taco.cc.ncsu.edu> blch...@eos.ncsu.edu (BEKKI LYN) writes:

>In article <hI+UVEJ....@delphi.com> ceew...@delphi.com writes:
>While I might patronize a Pagan one instead given a choice, I
>am not going to not shop somewhere just because the owners
>wish to express their religion. If I find out that the
>same store is donating the money I use as a customer to
>a group which I am firmly against (such as Operation
>Rescue), then I would stop patronizing them. However,
>to stop patronizing them just because they are Christians
>would be like telling people they are not allowed to
>be who they are in their own businesses and I am not
>going to punish them for that.
>--

So along these lines, I have a question for you all: what are some specific
companies that people avoid becasue of sources they donate to? I know there
are certain gas stations that do shitty things, so I try to avoid these (which
ones? I don't remember - its been months since I drove a car). I avoid
shampoos and the like that test on animals, but still ... theres gotta be
more. So what companies/products/businesses/etc. do you avoid, and for what
reasons?

Blessed Be!

Marie

>Bekki Lyn
>_Raving Dionysian_ & Representative of the Air Element
> of NCSU's

> SOCIETY OF PAGANISM & MAGICK
>"I watched in silence without seeing, as the stranger
> within me grew...." -FATES WARNING-

saw...@ouvaxa.cats.ohiou.edu

Nov 21, 1994, 2:26:42 PM11/21/94
Hey, you know, I feel the same way. I hate shopping in stores or catalogs that
shove religion down your throat--I particularly dislike the catalogs and will
throw them away the minute I see the biblical references. If I feel the store
or catalog makes too many assumptions about my beliefs, or presents an
overbearingly religious (particularly right wing) front, they don't get my $$.

On the other hand, back home I bought religious supplies (for my Wiccan
circles) from a Roman Catholic supplier, and shopped for groceries in a
supermarket run by Mormons. I never felt bad vibes from the supplier, and I
don't drink much so I didn't miss the beer case. It's a case-by-case thing, as
far as I'm concerned. If the company gives to Operation Rescue (shudder),
they're automatically ruled out...

BB
Callista

Hendy

Nov 22, 1994, 8:13:54 PM11/22/94
In article <pM0XVUP...@delphi.com>, Lainie Petersen
<phe...@delphi.com> wrote:

> FYI, many Christians who put a fish or some other symbol in their catalog do
> so for the benefit of other Christians who would like to do business with
> Christian companies. It is not an attempt to prosthelytize, but to inform.

I think Lainie hit it right here; I know that most of the businesses that
use the "fish" in their advertising do so to let other Christians know
that, "Hey, I'm one too - patronize my business!" It's a somewhat-subtle
symbol - like Jewish businesses using a Star of David - or Pagan
businesses using a pentagram.

But let us distinguish between identification and prosthelytization (is
that a word?)

*ANYTHING* more forceful than a little fish in the corner of an ad,
including the "See you in church!" or some such, would put me off. Quotes
or other preachy material is qualification for the recycle bin...unless
their business practices are so in line with my philosophies (i.e.
ecologically sound) that it overrides my religious objections.

MHO, of course!!!

- Hendy

Hendy Lund he...@cisco.com
"To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is
for monks" - L. Long

Wolf Lonewalker

Nov 23, 1994, 12:37:50 PM11/23/94
THE ONLY Xtian COMPANY I AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE IS
DOMINOS PIZZA...HE IS ON THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS
OF SEVERAL "RIGHT TO LIFE" GANGS, AND ALSO ON THE
BOARD OF DIRECTORS OF THE FRANCISCAN UNIV OF
STEUBENVILLE, A RABID CATHOLIC CHARISMATIC
UNIV., OF WHICH I AM A SURVIVOR. A PORTION OF THE
PROFITS FROM THE PIZZA SUPPORTS HIS "LIFE"
POSITION.

Karen Chapdelaine

Nov 23, 1994, 12:47:36 PM11/23/94
: Hendy <he...@cisco.com> writes:
:
: >*ANYTHING* more forceful than a little fish in the corner of an ad,

: >including the "See you in church!" or some such, would put me off. Quotes
: >or other preachy material is qualification for the recycle bin...unless
: >their business practices are so in line with my philosophies (i.e.
:
: I have been to restaurants that have a little card with suggested prayers
: on each table. Howabout suggesting some appropriate Pagan prayers to the
: restaurant owners! :)

Personally, I would find this objectionable and leave, whether the
prayers be Christian or Pagan. I came to eat, and perhaps socialize with
friends, not to be preached to (or directed), by anyone.

Think about it (this is addressed to everyone, not just Lainie)...if you
went into a Pagan store and they kept asking you every time you went in
when the last time you went to circle was (which feels like "Guilt" mode
on, to me), would you keep going??? Would it matter if their ideas were
in complete agreement with yours, and if the circle they kept asking
about was the one you did attend, regularly, and did not miss meetings
of? It would not for me. I would consider them "pushy" and over the
top. I might even stop attending circle, out of being asked to feel
"obligated" to, rather than letting it come from the heart.

Love,

Karen
kc...@ripco.com
Karen Chapdelaine @}->-- Love is the Law, Love under Will

....You can do what you want....
...You will get what you create....
@}->-@}->-@}->-@}->-
@}->-@}->-@}->-@}->-

Mary Lee

Nov 23, 1994, 1:20:31 PM11/23/94
In article <ZEz1dCa...@delphi.com>, Lainie Petersen <phe...@delphi.com> writes:

|> Hendy <he...@cisco.com> writes:
|>
|> >*ANYTHING* more forceful than a little fish in the corner of an ad,
|> >including the "See you in church!" or some such, would put me off. Quotes
|> >or other preachy material is qualification for the recycle bin...unless
|> >their business practices are so in line with my philosophies (i.e.
|>
|> I have been to restaurants that have a little card with suggested prayers
|> on each table. Howabout suggesting some appropriate Pagan prayers to the
|> restaurant owners! :)
|>
|> Lainie

I was in a Dairy Queen in Zanesville, Ohio that had 10 x 12 cards with
24-30 pt. Helvetica bold pasted up on the walls with various biblical
quotations.

I still ate the ice cream.

There's a Mexican restaurant in Columbus that has a shrine (read: altar)
with various xtian religious objects on it. Funny, I kind of relate to that
a lot better than to the quotations.

And on a road near my farm, there's a large painted sign with a bibcal
judgement verse on it.

And then there's the billboard quoting the book of Matthew a few miles
down the road.

And then there's the "Jesus Saves" painted on the underpasses.

And another billboard on the new Lighthouse church. All caps "JESUS"
in letters two-feet high when you first drive into town.

Seems like some folks never heard of the Prime Directive.

Or, that which in my religion is a major sin is called "proselytizing"
in theirs.

What do *I* do? Well, I started getting more involved. I've become a
member in a couple organizations, I'm getting newsletters (and catalogs ;^)),
I'm reading like crazy, I'm patronizing the local pagan merchants, and,
when people ask what *I* believe--I tell them.

Mary Lee

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
The knees or the memory is the first to go, but I forget which.
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Lee A Rabe

Nov 23, 1994, 10:37:58 PM11/23/94
In article <Pine.PTX.3.91a.94112...@carson.u.washington.edu>,

Hmmm....rabid? Yep.

As a high school student in Steubenville, I went to use the University
library (not a bad one, by the by --- even has some decent pagan books.:))
and was asked REPEATEDLY, every time I went there, if I was "saved".

My friends and I started a competition to see who could come up with the
most original comeback..

BTW, I was a practicing Catholic at the time. Caresies (Charasmatics)
are not Catholics, just some odd offshoot there of.

They had a "graveyard" with a bunch of little crosses for aborted
fetuses.

Lovely people....

Lee Ann

Marie Bennett

Nov 24, 1994, 1:09:43 AM11/24/94

Yuck .. thanks for sharing this - good to know.

Blessed Be

Marie

Marie Bennett

Nov 24, 1994, 1:13:26 AM11/24/94

>In article <Pine.PTX.3.91a.94112...@carson.u.washington.edu>,
>Wolf Lonewalker <wol...@u.washington.edu> wrote:
>>THE ONLY Xtian COMPANY I AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE IS
>>DOMINOS PIZZA...HE IS ON THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS
>>OF SEVERAL "RIGHT TO LIFE" GANGS, AND ALSO ON THE
>>BOARD OF DIRECTORS OF THE FRANCISCAN UNIV OF
>>STEUBENVILLE, A RABID CATHOLIC CHARISMATIC
>>UNIV., OF WHICH I AM A SURVIVOR. A PORTION OF THE
>>PROFITS FROM THE PIZZA SUPPORTS HIS "LIFE"
>>POSITION.
>>

>Hmmm....rabid? Yep.

>As a high school student in Steubenville, I went to use the University
>library (not a bad one, by the by --- even has some decent pagan books.:))
>and was asked REPEATEDLY, every time I went there, if I was "saved".

>My friends and I started a competition to see who could come up with the
>most original comeback..

I admit, I'm curious ... so what comebacks did you come up with? For that
matter, lets broaden this a lottle - anyone care to sahre witty things they've
come up with when confronted by people? I'm sure among this group of people
here, there have got to be some good ones.

Blessed Be

Marie

Michael A Porter

Nov 25, 1994, 2:09:21 AM11/25/94
Marie Bennett (mizm...@casbah.acns.nwu.edu) wrote:
: I admit, I'm curious ... so what comebacks did you come up with? For that

: matter, lets broaden this a lottle - anyone care to sahre witty things they've
: come up with when confronted by people? I'm sure among this group of people
: here, there have got to be some good ones.

: Blessed Be

: Marie

Three stories...

Once in the Eaton's Centre in Guelph I was approached by someone as I was
stepping onto the escalator who asked if I had found Jesus...I replied "I
didn't know he was lost, have you tried under the couch?"

At a different mall a woman walked up to me and asked if I was interested
in hearing God's personal plan for my life. I brushed back my long hair to
show the pentacle earring and said "That's strange, I've talked to god on many
occassions and she's never mentioned you."

And finally after being asked if I thought Jesus was the son of
god..."Yes, but I don't think he's all that unique."

I should note that in these three instances I was feeling either rushed
or mischevious. Usually, I don't mind sitting and listening to people
talk about their faith if I have the time. I draw a line at being prayed
over. (prayed for doesn't bother me...heck I can use all the help I can
get *grin*)

As to companies I will not support... fortunately being in Canada means
there isn't a lot of Coors beer floating about... but if there was I
would never buy it. I've heard and seen interviews with the President
talking quite openly about his support for the KKK.

mike.

* "Don't you see" he said. "You are the God of your own religion." *

Diana J. Sunday

Nov 25, 1994, 12:07:37 PM11/25/94
In article <mizmouse.785657383@casbah>, mizm...@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Marie
Bennett) wrote:

I've heard rumors that the Domino's Pizza guy sold the company and that
it's no longer in "quarantine." There was some other rumor that he is not
somehow associated with Pizza Hut.

Anyone out there know the *real* scoop????

(Personally, I don't frequent either place--too much vitamin G [grease] in
their food.)

--
Diana

Vanyel1027

Nov 25, 1994, 1:35:09 PM11/25/94
I, too, shop at the Fish Stores when I need to, but if there is an
alternative, I skip them. I shop wherever the customer service is good.
The new age store here is not particularly friendly so I use items from
the hardware store when I can--or the supermarket. Many of the companies
I frequent know me by name (or reputation <g>)
Unfortunetly, in this town, Fish Stores are usually places where no one
would shop without thinking they were shopping with Other Christians. A
very strange marketing ploy, but it seems to work... IDIC?
pleasant dreams,
T'Chris/VANYE...@aol.com

William Hartwell

Nov 25, 1994, 9:20:59 PM11/25/94
In article <polsons-2111...@165.227.10.97>,
The Polsons <pol...@cruzio.com> wrote:

>(PS - Are people interested in listing these companies here? Just wondering...)

I'd be interested in information like that. At the moment, I only have
three companies on my list of 'never do business with':

Dominos Pizza (Operation Rescue and lots of other anti-humane right-wing
Christian garbage)

Midwest Micro (They do enforced drug testing of all job applicants and
employees.)

Time-Warner Communications, owners of Time Magazine, Life Magazine,
Time-Life Books, DC Comics, Warner Brothers, etc. (Their stated, and
demonstrated, corporate policy is to do whatever it takes to destroy the
Second Amendment, including lies, political pressure, etc.)

That's right...rude propagandizing is not my only reason for refusing to
do business with a company....anything that I know a company does that
blatantly infringes upon the rights of employees, customers, or those
otherwise *knowingly* affected by them, will affect my judgement of that
company, whether it is religious, social, or political in nature.
--
whar...@nyx.cs.du.edu Rev. Bill Hartwell
bill.h...@lambada.oit.unc.edu Hm Ntrw, Wab Anpw

Don Edwards

Nov 25, 1994, 9:29:04 PM11/25/94

"As a high school student in Steubenville, I went to use the University
"library (not a bad one, by the by --- even has some decent pagan books.:))
"and was asked REPEATEDLY, every time I went there, if I was "saved".

"My friends and I started a competition to see who could come up with the
"most original comeback..

Well?...
--
-- "Self-interest has no place in society" ** ** ** ********
-- Sandy Cuney, speaking for Handgun Control ** ** ** ** ** **

William W. Hughes

Nov 26, 1994, 1:35:45 AM11/26/94
On Sat, 26 Nov 1994, Ailsa Murphy wrote:

> i had a friend who had just gotten back from the Pennsic wars and had fallen
> asleep in her armour. netx morning, Jehovah's Witnesses came to the door.
> she lowered her lance, intoned "Chreeestians!" and charged.
>
> Funny, they went away...

ROFL!!!

I used to live on the Mississippi Gulf Coast; shared a small house with a
radio maintenance instructor who was about 6' 7" (I'm 6' 1", on a good
day). We used to get the JWs on a regular basis, but Mike would open the
door, duck down and step out, then straighten up... and up... and up...

Then he would look down at them, and in a voice straight out of James
Earl Jones, say "Ye e e e s s s".

The JWs never stayed around for the end of that one word, for some reason.

whu...@lonestar.jpl.utsa.edu (Bill Hughes)| In memory of 85 un-charged,
UTSA doesn't agree with me. They're wrong. | un-convicted victims of the U.S.
St. Dismas' Infirmary for the Incurably | government in Waco, Texas -
Informed [_Synners_, Pat Cadigan] | including over 20 children.
United States Constitution 1788 - 1994 R. I. P.
Don't Tread On Me!

Ailsa Murphy

Nov 26, 1994, 12:14:04 AM11/26/94
In article <3b42j1$3...@nermal.cs.uoguelph.ca>,

Michael A Porter <mapo...@uoguelph.ca> wrote:
>Marie Bennett (mizm...@casbah.acns.nwu.edu) wrote:
>: I admit, I'm curious ... so what comebacks did you come up with? For that
>: matter, lets broaden this a lottle - anyone care to sahre witty things they've
>: come up with when confronted by people? I'm sure among this group of people
>: here, there have got to be some good ones.

well, my sister went with me to Pride last summer, and got accosted by
a fundie. she cocked her hip, threw her waist length hair over her
shoulder, and said in a vamp voice, "Honey, do i LOOK like i need
saving?"

tract hander-outers don't even TRY to give me thigns anymore. perhaps
it's the combination of suit&tie, conservative businessman's haircut,
and mongrominous tits that throws them off. or the bland glare i give
them when they look at me. but they never speak.

i had a friend who had just gotten back from the Pennsic wars and had fallen
asleep in her armour. netx morning, Jehovah's Witnesses came to the door.
she lowered her lance, intoned "Chreeestians!" and charged.

Funny, they went away...

>I should note that in these three instances I was feeling either rushed
>or mischevious. Usually, I don't mind sitting and listening to people
>talk about their faith if I have the time. I draw a line at being prayed
>over. (prayed for doesn't bother me...heck I can use all the help I can
>get *grin*)

i liked those. and i don't mind being prayed for, either. generally,
i think the people who say they will pray for me are rather sweet.

>As to companies I will not support... fortunately being in Canada means
>there isn't a lot of Coors beer floating about... but if there was I
>would never buy it. I've heard and seen interviews with the President
>talking quite openly about his support for the KKK.

and don't forget LL Bean. linda bean jones is a notorious conservative,
with absolutely APPALLING connections. and she has been nearly
personally responsible for the perennial collapse of maine's gay rights
bill.

and cracker barrel, or which there are none in new engladn, but should
i find one in my travels, i won't go there. (official codified policy
of firing suspected homosexuals.)

and no grapes. at least, last i heard, the boycott's still on.

i'm sure i'm forgetting some. shoudl i still be boycotting nestle?
anybody know what else philip morris or RJR owns?

-ailsa
--
i saw the worst bands of my generation/applied by magic marker to drywall
i should be allowed to shoot my mouth off/i should have a call in show

StormBear

Nov 26, 1994, 10:30:19 AM11/26/94
I own an independent film studio in North Carolina. I let anyone off for
their OWN religious holidays. Who the hell am I to only let folks off for
Xtian holidays?

Also, I have mandantory drug testing. If you turn up clean, you are fired
on the spot. :-D

Storm Bear
Green Monk Studios

David L Evens

Nov 26, 1994, 3:02:48 PM11/26/94
Marie Bennett (mizm...@casbah.acns.nwu.edu) wrote:
: I admit, I'm curious ... so what comebacks did you come up with? For that
: matter, lets broaden this a lottle - anyone care to sahre witty things they've
: come up with when confronted by people? I'm sure among this group of people
: here, there have got to be some good ones.

I know a fellow who once told me his standard comeback for Jehovah's
Witnesses who tried bothering him was 'I find it extremely difficult to
take seriously anyone who attempts to prostitute their diety in public.'

The one and only time I was ever accosted by a Jehovah's Witness (they
do seem rather rare, but have this uncanny ability to hit some point that
will hook you for a moment) I told his I wasn't going to buy anything and
walked off. (It is important to remember that the Witnesses are mostly
just dupes of the organisation bosses who go around selling those idiotic
books. I bought one second hand once. They would be very convincing to
the truly ignorant, and Jehovah's Witnesses are encouraged quite strongly
to be ignorant,)

--
* O L D I M P R O O V E D . S I G *
w i t h

William Hartwell

Nov 26, 1994, 8:35:18 PM11/26/94
In article <polsons-2611...@165.227.10.98>,
The Polsons <pol...@cruzio.com> wrote:
>Well, then how about Wal*Mart, who asks (although I'm not sure if they
>still do, admittedly) on their job applications if you're gay or if you
>believe in one true supreme being? Not to mention their practice of
>rolling over small towns' own variety stores and effectively shutting them
>down because they can't compete with the prices, or that they recently
>started construction in So. CA on top of a sacred burial mound and refused
>to stop, even after local natives complained?

Thanks for the info. I'd heard about the job application stuff, but
because Wisconsin has laws forbidding that type of discrimination, and
they are still allowed to operate here, I'd thought they were cured of
that...not that I've ever done business with them anyways...their prices
are generally higher than K-Mart and Shopko's, so it wouldn't be worth
the effort to go hunt them down even if they weren't questionable (at
best). The info about the burial mound is news to me. Any references
for this?

>Beverly Fabrics is supposed to have advertised with fundie magazines and
>radio shows...can anyone confirm this?

Who? Don't recognize this name.

Caryn Rose

Nov 26, 1994, 10:33:00 PM11/26/94
The Polsons (pol...@cruzio.com) wrote:
: I'm sure this will end up prompting a flame war, but I have a question.

: When you're looking through a catalog, and start seeing little bible
: quotes in it, or you're picking out a store to patronize and see a big
: "Jesus fish" in their yellow pages ad, what do you do? Do you go
: elsewhere? Do you complain? Do you shop there anyway? Do you care?

I was raised Jewish, and it used to irk me when people would
automatically wish me "merry christmas" during that season. however,
with time and a little growth, I've come to accept the greeting in the
spririt in which it is probably given: "blessings o f the season".

and just the other day, I called Spiegel to order a lovely coat I've had
my eye on, and the operator informed me of their "special of the day"
which was a live christmas wreath. again, the immediate response is
jewish, not pagan (because if I didn't still live at home, I would have a
yule wreath on my door, but i'm lucky enough that I can go and cut the
branches myself) -- no, i don't need a christmas wreath, we're jewish.
(well, the house is anyway.)

it's the _assumption_ that we all love Jesus that bothers me. our
culture is so unbelivably diverse now that i think companies have to
start thinking about the messages they give out because they could offend
a large (and still growing) section of the population.

if the store was tryign to give me scripture with my milk, I would go
elsewhere. if all that was going on was a sign that says "god bless you"
(or whatever), I would try to take it in the spirit in which it was
offered. but if it truly bothers you, yes, you should shop elsewhere.

Diana J. Sunday

Nov 27, 1994, 4:42:34 PM11/27/94
In article <9411271210591.Th...@delphi.com>,
avem...@delphi.com (Michael O'Neill) wrote:

> Storm Bear writes:
>
> > Also, I have mandantory drug testing. If you turn up clean, you are fired
> > on the spot. :-D
> >

> I don't get it, why? And what has that got to do with anything anyway? Or
> are we just confusing anything "radical" (as if drugs were so radical) or
> outrageous with paganism?

Dear Michael:

I think Storm Bear was kidding.

BB

Diana
--
"Shipwrecked at the stable door" (Bruce Cockburn)