McDONALD'S TO BAN GENETICALLY MODIFIED (GM) FOODS

danielle

Jun 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/28/99

Possibly the closest resemblance to really food in Mcdonalds and they
go and ban it........

> [...]
>
> DAILY MAIL JULY 12, 1999
>
> McDONALD'S is banning genetically modified ingredients from its
>burger buns, sauces and other products.
> Previously the restaurant chain indicated that derivatives of
>genetically modifled crops were considered safe and it did not
>intend changing recipes to remove or label them.
> Now the American-based company is to ask suppliers to provide
>GM-free ingredients and derivatives.
> The move is seen by critics of genetically modified crops and food
>as a further blow to the biotech industry.
> It Is also a victory for consumer choice and the Daily Mail's
>Genetic Food Watch campaign, which has highlighted the introduction
>of modified ingredients into the national diet by stealth.
> The decision by Mcdonald's means that nearly all the major fast
>food chains, including burger, chicken and pizza outlets, have bowed
>to public pressure to jettison the ingredients.
> McDonald's, which stopped using British beef in its meals at the
>height of the BSE scare, will now have to change the recipe for
>millions of burger buns currently containing flour which may come
>from genetically modified soya.
> It will also be working to remove oil and lecithin--both
>derivatives of soya--from sauces it uses.
> The chain, which serves 2.5 million customers a day at its 900 UK
>outlets, has already removed GM maize starch from the coating of its
>filet-o-fish range. In March, McDonald's made clear that it
>considered GM derivatives safe for use in food.
> Now it says: 'We have listened to the concerns expressed by
>consumers seeking further information and reassurance. Our highest
>priority is the safety of our customers.
> 'We want to be assured that the products and ingredients we are
>using are of the highest standards of quality and safety.'
> A spokesman said the company had not set a timescale for removing
>GM derivatives because it would first have to find reliable
>alternative sources of ingredients.
> He added: 'The policy is evolving in every country where we have
>outlets in response to consumer concerns.'
> Among the other chains, Pizza Express and Domino Pizza believe they
>are already free from GM ingredients and derivatives. Wimpy City
>Centre Restaurants--which owns Cafe Uno, Garfunkels, Deep Pan Pizza
>Company and Cafe Metro--Perfect Pizza and Pret a Manger are all
>removing GM ingredients and derivatives.
> Pizza Hut, KFC and Burger King are removing the main GM ingredients
>but have yet to ban derivatives.
> Friends of the Earth food campaigner Adrian Bebb said last night:
> 'We are delighted that Mcdonald is listening to consumer fears and
>is removing GM ingredients from its products.
> 'Hopefully this means that the chain will go completely GM-free.
> 'The market for GM food and ingredients has collapsed. No one
>appears to want them.
> 'The Government must now take steps to help companies to go GM-free
>rather than promote a biotech industry. most people do not want.'

danielle

Q. What's the fastest way to a man's heart?
A. Through his chest with a sharp knife.

Darryl

Jun 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/29/99
Hi danielle ,

You were saying......

>Possibly the closest resemblance to really food in Mcdonalds and they
>go and ban it........

You can't genetically modify cardboard!

saravan...@gmail.com

May 14, 2013, 9:37:48 AM5/14/13
What is joke. They are the biggest promotors for GMOs in the world!

avaaz.org/en/monsanto_vs_mother_earth_loc/?email