Kids' Toys

Horace Wachope

May 24, 2001, 1:49:59 AM5/24/01

The boy turns 4 later this week and I've got to go present shopping.

Any suggestions?

Scooby, August, Sky?

Vicki Cleaver

May 24, 2001, 2:02:43 AM5/24/01
Whilst licking their paws in alt.ozdebate on 24 May 2001, Horace Wachope
<horryw...@hotmail.com> purred:

>The boy turns 4 later this week and I've got to go present shopping.
>
>Any suggestions?
>
>Scooby, August, Sky?

Will I do? :)

Seriously, try to get him something old fashioned. I have a friend with a
four year-old and she gets loads of "technology" toys - computer games and
stuff like that. For Christmas last year I bought her the Memory card game
- you know where you put the cards out and then try to match them up. She
*loves* it. Her father says it's the toy she plays with most and even has
another set of them at Grandma's! I think while it's important for kids to
be exposed to technology, they need some of the old fashioned games as well
- Headache, Snakes and Ladders, Mouse Trap (not even sure if you can buy
all of those now).

--
See ya!

Vicki Cleaver
vickiclea...@dingoblue.net.au
http://kittecat.cjb.net
Take out the litter to email me.

On alt.ozdebate, all posters are equal. Some are just more equal than
others.

Spooky Guy Next Door

May 24, 2001, 2:17:10 AM5/24/01
For I have glimpsed inside Matthew R. Goodyear's mind, and what did I
see but THIS...

> Buy him some Lego.. it will allow him to be creative and develop some
> kind of skill that i cant think of right now :-)

<sings> "It's not unusual da da da de dum..." </sings>

You're attempting, and failing miserably, to think of "motor skills".

--
Freedom is the freedom to say two plus two make four. If that is
guaranteed, all else follows.

Horace Wachope

May 24, 2001, 2:14:49 AM5/24/01
On 24 May 2001 06:02:43 GMT, vickiclea...@dingoblue.net.au
(Vicki Cleaver) wrote:

>Whilst licking their paws in alt.ozdebate on 24 May 2001, Horace Wachope
><horryw...@hotmail.com> purred:
>

>>The boy turns 4 later this week and I've got to go present shopping.
>>
>>Any suggestions?
>>
>>Scooby, August, Sky?
>
>Will I do? :)
>
>Seriously, try to get him something old fashioned.

He wants a rocking horse.

But there's no way a son of mine will own a rocking horse.

> I have a friend with a
>four year-old and she gets loads of "technology" toys - computer games and
>stuff like that.

He also wants a laptop. See comments above re rocking horse.

> For Christmas last year I bought her the Memory card game
>- you know where you put the cards out and then try to match them up. She
>*loves* it.

Is this like flash cards? Where you turn one over, then turn another
one over and if they're the same, put them aside, otherwise turn them
both back again and repeat (with different cards - unless you have
absolutely no memory)?

> Her father says it's the toy she plays with most and even has
>another set of them at Grandma's! I think while it's important for kids to
>be exposed to technology, they need some of the old fashioned games as well

I was thinking of getting him a whole pile of smaller $10-$20 books
and toys, and one 'big' toy. I was going to get him a DVD player, but
I caught him putting slices of bread in the VCR (again) the other day
so I've changed my mind.

>- Headache, Snakes and Ladders, Mouse Trap (not even sure if you can buy
>all of those now).

Yeah, you can still get them. I saw them a few months ago.

Horace Wachope

May 24, 2001, 2:15:41 AM5/24/01
On Thu, 24 May 2001 16:00:31 +0930, Matthew R. Goodyear
<matthew...@dingoblue.net.au> wrote:

>No, dont buy him those three women!!

Are you aware that Sky is a man? Not much of one though :-)

>And dont buy Pokemon or Digimon or any other bloody Mons or you will
>never hear the ned of it :-)

There's a Pikachu floating around somewhere.

>Buy him some Lego.. it will allow him to be creative and develop some
>kind of skill that i cant think of right now :-)

Motor?

Jason

May 24, 2001, 2:32:23 AM5/24/01
You can't go past Lego.

Problem is, it's very expensive, and you need a fair bit of it to start
having real fun.

Jason

"Horace Wachope" <horryw...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Téa Smith

May 24, 2001, 2:41:57 AM5/24/01

Matthew R. Goodyear <matthew...@dingoblue.net.au> wrote

> Buy him some Lego.. it will allow him to be creative and develop some

> kind of skill that i cant think of right now :-)

If you get Lego, make sure you wear shoes 24/7. *grin*

--
Téa Smith
ICQ:21859695

John Phillips

May 24, 2001, 2:59:08 AM5/24/01
On Thu, 24 May 2001 15:19:59 +0930, Horace Wachope
<horryw...@hotmail.com> wrote:

You'll scar him for life if he unwraps any of those on his birthday.

--

ICQ UIN: 107533462

Vicki Cleaver

May 24, 2001, 3:01:51 AM5/24/01

Yes, that's the one. It's good because it does teach them memory and also
identifying things (depending on the set you get and how advanced the
pictures are).

>> Her father says it's the toy she plays with most and even has
>>another set of them at Grandma's! I think while it's important for
>>kids to be exposed to technology, they need some of the old fashioned
>>games as well
>
>I was thinking of getting him a whole pile of smaller $10-$20 books
>and toys, and one 'big' toy. I was going to get him a DVD player, but
>I caught him putting slices of bread in the VCR (again) the other day
>so I've changed my mind.

Books are always a good idea. A child can never have too many books. The
memory game was only about $15 IIRC so it could be one of your smaller
gifts as well. Heehee about the video toast ...... you need a lockable
video cabinet :)

>>- Headache, Snakes and Ladders, Mouse Trap (not even sure if you can
>>buy all of those now).
>
>Yeah, you can still get them. I saw them a few months ago.

Headache is especially good fun - but trust me it's you that'll end up with
the headache! What about a games compendium with snakes and ladders,
checkers etc in it? It's fun for kids to learn these games and you sound
like the kind of father that would play them with him.

Let us know what you end up getting.

John Phillips

May 24, 2001, 3:08:38 AM5/24/01
On Thu, 24 May 2001 17:15:18 +1000, August <augus...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>I read it someplace, where Horace Wachope said...

>|| The boy turns 4 later this week and I've got to go present shopping.
>|| Any suggestions?
>|| Scooby, August, Sky?
>

>Why not get him all three? ;)

Do you come for the price of one?

--

ICQ UIN: 107533462

John Phillips

May 24, 2001, 3:17:02 AM5/24/01
On Thu, 24 May 2001 17:22:41 +1000, August <augus...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>I read it someplace, where John Phillips said...

>I dont come cheap at all.

Then it was a poor suggestion of yours to Horry.

--

ICQ UIN: 107533462

Clancy

May 24, 2001, 3:31:03 AM5/24/01
"August" <augus...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I read it someplace, where John Phillips said...
> I dont come cheap at all.

I could understand, why he would want you, but the other 2 are the stuff
nightmares are made of (sorry Chris)

--
Clancy
The biggest trouble

ScoobyGang

May 24, 2001, 3:42:19 AM5/24/01

"Matthew R. Goodyear"

> And dont buy Pokemon or Digimon or any other bloody Mons or you will
> never hear the ned of it :-)

I have not bought my son Pokemon etc because they are too expensive. He has
been told this is the reason, has accepted it and even though there is a
whole stand full of videos at the Bi-Lo we go to every week to grocery shop,
he NEVER asks for them. There is a thing called explaining to your child
and giving them the beneifit of the doubt in life to understand. It does
not help to simply shut them off or lock things out as they WILL come up
eventually.

Of course I am not saying this is what you meant by saying the above, just
putting my view out there.

> Buy him some Lego.. it will allow him to be creative and develop some
> kind of skill that i cant think of right now :-)

Lego is VERY expensive for a small quantity, and not suitable for a child so
young. Small pieces easily lost when let slip through little fingers,
easily choked on. Even if you have a child like mine who never put things
in his mouth all the time there is still the danger there will be a first
time. We do have the 'Shell' lego that was available last year, but it is
put away waiting for Dylan to reach the appropriate age for it. I think
recomended age is about 7-9 on most items of Lego except for the Duplo
range. Duplo is great, I love the stuff but there are much more economical
ways to buy blocks for your child.

ScoobyGang

May 24, 2001, 3:45:47 AM5/24/01

"Clancy"

> I could understand, why he would want you, but the other 2 are the stuff
> nightmares are made of (sorry Chris)

thanks for saying sorry to me too...

As for me, maybe Horry thinks I would be fun for a four year old boy, mine
has yet to complain.
Maybe he thinks I would make a good jumping castle for his kid, or a
motherly figure :)

ScoobyGang

May 24, 2001, 3:43:44 AM5/24/01

"Horace Wachope"

> >And dont buy Pokemon or Digimon or any other bloody Mons or you will
> >never hear the ned of it :-)
>
> There's a Pikachu floating around somewhere.

LOL Darn it, belied myself in my last reply...

OK so Dylan does have ONE pokemon thing, a Pikachu snuggle friend pillow
that was only about $15 at toys r us...

Dion Mikkelsen

May 24, 2001, 3:50:16 AM5/24/01
On Thu, 24 May 2001 17:21:19 +1000, August <augus...@hotmail.com> wrote, after
pausing and ensuring that what they were going to write was not absolute
gobbledy-gook:

>Lego collectables, a set of mobilo (my son's favorite - not gimmicky and
>lasts for years), a two wheeler bike, a real, inexpensive camera (to use
>with you!), with a photograph album he can fill, a workbench (child size)

On this note, a cheap digital camera could be economical (eg a Polaroid or
whatever $100-$150).

>with tack hammer, nails, corks, lino etc to 'work' with, a real,
>inexpensive tool set with bits he can use on the workbench, a pet, a tenet
>and sleeping bag (another favorite here).

I reckon Lego Duplo.

Dion M.
http://dionsplace.terrashare.com/

"It takes a lot of brains to enjoy satire, humour and wit - but none to be offended by them."

Horace Wachope

May 24, 2001, 3:47:39 AM5/24/01

Morphun Blocks?

Horace Wachope

May 24, 2001, 3:50:32 AM5/24/01
On Thu, 24 May 2001 17:01:14 +0930, Matthew R. Goodyear
<matthew...@dingoblue.net.au> wrote:

>On Thu, 24 May 2001 15:44:49 +0930, Horace Wachope
><horryw...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I was thinking of getting him a whole pile of smaller $10-$20 books
>>and toys, and one 'big' toy. I was going to get him a DVD player, but
>>I caught him putting slices of bread in the VCR (again) the other day
>>so I've changed my mind.
>

>have you considered getting him a Playstation2? I'll only be to happy
>to give you a month of my time to help play...err...set it up :)

When he was a baby he continually dribbled into the Nintendo cartridge
slot until the machine no longer worked.

From that moment on he's been banned from games consoles.

Horace Wachope

May 24, 2001, 3:54:30 AM5/24/01
On Thu, 24 May 2001 07:50:16 GMT, dmikk...@start.com.au (Dion
Mikkelsen) wrote:

>On Thu, 24 May 2001 17:21:19 +1000, August <augus...@hotmail.com> wrote, after
>pausing and ensuring that what they were going to write was not absolute
>gobbledy-gook:
>
>>Lego collectables, a set of mobilo (my son's favorite - not gimmicky and
>>lasts for years), a two wheeler bike, a real, inexpensive camera (to use
>>with you!), with a photograph album he can fill, a workbench (child size)
>
>On this note, a cheap digital camera could be economical (eg a Polaroid or
>whatever $100-$150).
>
>>with tack hammer, nails, corks, lino etc to 'work' with, a real,
>>inexpensive tool set with bits he can use on the workbench, a pet, a tenet
>>and sleeping bag (another favorite here).
>
>I reckon Lego Duplo.

You can't build anything good with Duplo though (unless you have
several tonnes of it).

And because the blocks are so big, anything good you do make (ie.
cars, trucks, houses) turn out almost life-size.

ScoobyGang

May 24, 2001, 4:04:19 AM5/24/01
Horry has your son been introduced to the computer yet? I am sure we have
talked about this b4 but I forget the answer. Any one of the Sesame Street
line of educational software is a good thing in my opinion. Within two
weeks of having them (he had then 2 weeks prior to his 2nd birthday) Dylan
was able to turn on and off the computer properly (better than most adults),
set up his games, recognised his own name on the screen to click on to get
to his partition and not daddy's etc Also the obvious, it taught him alot
of basic which have stuck with him, colour, numbers, letters, opposites,
object names etc.

If that is not your cup of tea...
Try looking at K-Mart for books, they often have childrens soft cover books
for $3 each. We got a whole heap back in March (picked up the laybuy so
sale must have been around january) and they are great stories which have
been a real hit with him.

If he likes Thomas The Tank Engine (I am sure you said he does), then maybe
for the big present you could get him the giant train set. Actually on
second thoughts that might be best to look for around xmas time as they
often throw in free extras like another 'friend' which usually sell for
around $25-30 each seperately.
There are great Thomas lace up cards (good for those motor skills and hand
eye co-ordination) for around $10, also a number game which works as two
matching jigsaw cut pieces that will not fit with any other half but their
own. They count up to 20 and have the Thomas and friend characters, the
number cleary shown and the pictures are great to teach the child to not
just count in there head from one to 20 but to visually count things. That
was about $10-15 I think, both at K-Mart.

Does he like cars? Try a wooden garage and some hotwheels cars to go with.
Most good independant toy stores should sell the wooden garages for about
$20 give or take. Something you can often find on sale for a reasonable
price is a floor carpet with roads and a town on it for the child to run
cars on. These are great as they provide warmth under where the child plays
(if you dont have carpet already), a designated play area if you need on in
a main room like the lounge (teach the kid to play where the mat is and not
to drag the toys all over the rest of the room I mean), and a lasting good
wearing car playmat which are otherwise usually crappy plastic sheets these
days. We have a mat measuring about 7-8 by 5-5 1/2 feet that cost us $49-59
on sale at a carpet place that seems to be in just about every shopping
center here...Buggered if I can think of the name though...Sorry.

A playdough molding set is a good idea if you are prepared to set him up on
a lovely wet day inside and help him learn to use it (which I am sure you
would be :)), sticker books which teach time, shapes etc are also a good
indoor activity for winter days upon us. Oh and if you think he would like
to build wooden things he could then use you can get complete sets with all
the pieces of wood cut and predrilled ready to go, all the screws and tools
needed to put them together etc to make bird houses, toolboxes, treasure
boxes etc. These we found for around $20 each at Myer.

I hope this give you some ideas, with the explanaitions as to why *I* think
they are good and would work for you.
Good luck and happy hunting. I love giving presents to kids :)

ScoobyGang

May 24, 2001, 4:08:26 AM5/24/01

"Horace Wachope" >

>Duplo is great, I love the stuff but there are much more economical
> >ways to buy blocks for your child.

> Morphun Blocks?

Ummm were they the ones which can go in circles etc? Advertised on tv?
Still not quite 4 yr old range, we have two sets dad bought for Dylan last
year, one set is almost completely lost :( under beds and couches and places
that you hardly ever move or find things again.

We got several plastic brief cases of blocks, around 72 blocks in each case,
for $15 a case.
3 different sizes in four diff colours. They are great big, easy to use
blocks for little fingers and safe size to prevent choking hazard. (K-mart
again)

Clancy

May 24, 2001, 4:37:05 AM5/24/01
"ScoobyGang" <Scoob...@optushome.com.au> wrote in message

> "Clancy"
> > I could understand, why he would want you, but the other 2 are the stuff
> > nightmares are made of (sorry Chris)
>
> thanks for saying sorry to me too...

Not in this lifetime

ScoobyGang

May 24, 2001, 5:00:38 AM5/24/01

"Clancy"

> > thanks for saying sorry to me too...
>
> Not in this lifetime

Ph I so love a man who gets a wedgie so far up his arse he cant see the
light :)

Clancy

May 24, 2001, 5:09:02 AM5/24/01
"ScoobyGang" <Scoob...@optushome.com.au> wrote in message
You are confused....My name is not Weginald.

--
Clancy
Be different:

John Mares

May 24, 2001, 5:47:10 AM5/24/01

"Horace Wachope" <horryw...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> The boy turns 4 later this week and I've got to go present shopping.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Scooby, August, Sky?

Lego?

--

John Mares
www.psdsoft.com

John Phillips

May 24, 2001, 7:32:48 AM5/24/01

At least then you could send him out to do the shopping in his Duplo
Volvo.

--

ICQ UIN: 107533462

John Phillips

May 24, 2001, 7:33:41 AM5/24/01
On Thu, 24 May 2001 17:54:48 +1000, August <augus...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>And yours was so much better, John!

I didn't make one?!

--

ICQ UIN: 107533462

Dassa

May 24, 2001, 8:06:02 AM5/24/01

Personally I would recommend a safe set of crayons (non-toxic) and a large
sized plain paper notpad. Should be under $10.

Or go to the local supermarket and get a collection of large sized
cardboard boxes and spend an afternoon in the back yard building cubbies
with them.

Dassa.

Lea B

May 24, 2001, 9:12:36 AM5/24/01

"Horace Wachope" <> wrote ...

> The boy turns 4 later this week and I've got to go present shopping.
>
> Any suggestions?

My friend's son recently got his first Barbie Doll ( he's 4yrs old ).
His dad was mortified, but apparently he was the only kid ( boys & girls )
at creche without one.
It's all he wanted.

I love Barbie.

Vicki Cleaver

May 24, 2001, 9:14:45 AM5/24/01
Whilst licking their paws in alt.ozdebate on 24 May 2001, "Lea B" <lea-
b...@cybergal.com> purred:

>I love Barbie.

There is a new Barbie out in the USA that has a cat and a carrier, and the
inside of the carrier doubles as a litter tray that contains a scoop and
some poopy as well :) Sounds very cute but I thought those little pieces
might be too small for young children!

Horace Wachope

May 24, 2001, 9:14:06 AM5/24/01
On Thu, 24 May 2001 23:12:36 +1000, "Lea B" <le...@cybergal.com>
wrote:

I'll add that to the list along with the rocking horse and the laptop
computer.

Lea B

May 24, 2001, 9:18:38 AM5/24/01

"Matthew R. Goodyear" <> wrote ...

> Buy him some Lego.. it will allow him to be creative and develop some
> kind of skill that i cant think of right now :-)

Lego. I loooooove Lego !

I used to play with some kids down the street solely coz of their huge Lego
collection.
My sister had heaps of Fabuland too ( smaller than Duplo, bigger than
Lego ) - that was ace fun.

Lea B

May 24, 2001, 9:20:42 AM5/24/01

"Spooky wrote ...
> Matthew ...

> > Buy him some Lego.. it will allow him to be creative and develop some
> > kind of skill that i cant think of right now :-)
>
> <sings> "It's not unusual da da da de dum..." </sings>
>
> You're attempting, and failing miserably, to think of "motor skills".

That wasn't very nice.

Lea B

May 24, 2001, 9:25:37 AM5/24/01

"ScoobyGang" <> wrote ...

> maybe Horry thinks I would be fun for a four year old boy, mine
> has yet to complain.
> Maybe he thinks I would make a good jumping castle for his kid, or a
> motherly figure :)

Hmmm ... a marriage proposal ?

ScoobyGang

May 24, 2001, 9:29:11 AM5/24/01

"Lea B"

> My friend's son recently got his first Barbie Doll ( he's 4yrs old ).
> His dad was mortified, but apparently he was the only kid ( boys & girls )
> at creche without one.
> It's all he wanted.

Dylan got the swimming Barbie around xmas time/new year and we later picked
up the Australian Olympic supporter Barbie too. Both were on laybuy but one
young son would not leave without the swimming one to play with in that
night's bath...

Hubby always said his son was not going to have a Barbie but i told him to
get real, that there was nothing wrong with boys or girls play acting with
dolls, be they baby or Barbie.

> I love Barbie.

I used to have heaps of them but who knows what my brother did with them
while mum and I were away from this house :( All my dolls and Golden
Library books prolly thrown away like yesterday's garbage not to mention
first edition enid blyton books etc out to the tip. My brother has NO idea
how rich we could be with all the stuff he got rid of.

Horace Wachope

May 24, 2001, 9:28:44 AM5/24/01
On Thu, 24 May 2001 23:25:37 +1000, "Lea B" <le...@cybergal.com>
wrote:

>"ScoobyGang" <> wrote ...

Rayvyn Shadow-Black-Wachope

ScoobyGang

May 24, 2001, 9:31:19 AM5/24/01

"Lea B"

> > maybe Horry thinks I would be fun for a four year old boy, mine
> > has yet to complain.
> > Maybe he thinks I would make a good jumping castle for his kid, or a
> > motherly figure :)

> Hmmm ... a marriage proposal ?

I said fun for the boy not for Horry.

@subdimension.com danielle

May 24, 2001, 9:35:17 AM5/24/01

Horry doesn't know how to have fun, he is a mysoginistic old prick

What's the fastest way to a man's heart?
Through his chest with a sharp knife.

Dassa

May 24, 2001, 7:16:51 PM5/24/01

Don't want to share?

Dassa

Hashcat

May 25, 2001, 2:29:41 AM5/25/01

"Spooky Guy Next Door" <galldy=use...@bigpond.com> wrote in message
> For I have glimpsed inside Matthew R. Goodyear's mind, and what did I
> see but THIS...

> > Buy him some Lego.. it will allow him to be creative and develop some
> > kind of skill that i cant think of right now :-)
>
> <sings> "It's not unusual da da da de dum..." </sings>

To sing crappy songs in a newgroup?

> You're attempting, and failing miserably, to think of "motor skills".

I wouldn't say he failed *miserably*. Failing miserably is when you fail to
do something really important, like opening a parachute.

Spooky Guy Next Door

May 25, 2001, 3:11:03 AM5/25/01
For I have glimpsed inside Lea B's mind, and what did I see but
THIS...

> "Spooky wrote ...

I know, and I can't justify it.

Well, not entirely true. There's a part of me that wants to cry out
childishly "he did it too!"

--
Freedom is the freedom to say two plus two make four. If that is
guaranteed, all else follows.
- George Orwell, "Nineteen Eighty-Four"
http://smiley.vh.mewl.net/markweb/
http://www.smileydesigns.com/

Horace Wachope

May 25, 2001, 4:12:12 AM5/25/01
On 24 May 2001 07:01:51 GMT, vickiclea...@dingoblue.net.au
(Vicki Cleaver) wrote:

>Let us know what you end up getting.

1 x Monster Truck
1 x Teletubbies Puzzle
2 x Bananas in Pyjamas Puzzle
1 x Kid's Camera
1 x Winnie the Pooh Duplo
1 x Play Doh Set
1 x copy of The Tigger Movie
1 x Action Man Polar Ski
1 x Bob the Builder
3 x Autotech Car things
1 x Remote Control Boat
1 x Wallabies autographed Rugby Union Ball
1 x Thomas the Tank Engine Railway Set
2 x Bear in the Big Blue House books
Numerous books and card games

Dassa

May 25, 2001, 4:54:24 AM5/25/01

Just curious, does everyone agree with giving young children this number of
gifts?

To me it appears to be promoting expectations that may not be maintained.

My opinion is shaped by my own upbringing of course. However, I see
potential dangers in such generous gift giving.

Dassa

Dassa

May 25, 2001, 4:55:41 AM5/25/01
On Fri, 25 May 2001 16:29:41 +1000, "Hashcat" <has...@crosswinds.net>
wrote:

That could result in achieving success with a splat if the intention was
not to open a parachute.

Dassa

ScoobyGang

May 25, 2001, 5:08:56 AM5/25/01

"Horace Wachope"

> >Let us know what you end up getting.
> 1 x Monster Truck
> 1 x Teletubbies Puzzle
> 2 x Bananas in Pyjamas Puzzle
> 1 x Kid's Camera
> 1 x Winnie the Pooh Duplo
> 1 x Play Doh Set
> 1 x copy of The Tigger Movie
> 1 x Action Man Polar Ski
> 1 x Bob the Builder
> 3 x Autotech Car things
> 1 x Remote Control Boat
> 1 x Wallabies autographed Rugby Union Ball
> 1 x Thomas the Tank Engine Railway Set
> 2 x Bear in the Big Blue House books
> Numerous books and card games

Sound like a Christmas list not a birthday one :)

|Lucky kid, I hope he enjoys them all :)

Vicki Cleaver

May 25, 2001, 6:48:01 AM5/25/01

Sounds like some great choices. I don't know a four year old boy who
wouldn't be thrilled to bits with that list!

Vicki Cleaver

May 25, 2001, 6:51:13 AM5/25/01
Whilst licking their paws in alt.ozdebate on 25 May 2001, da...@dhs.org
(Dassa) purred:

>Just curious, does everyone agree with giving young children this number
>of gifts?
>
>To me it appears to be promoting expectations that may not be
>maintained.
>
>My opinion is shaped by my own upbringing of course. However, I see
>potential dangers in such generous gift giving.

This is a tough one. My family never had the money to give us much, but we
always got *something* for every birthday and Christmas and they didn't
mean any less because we got little. I think if you have the money and the
inclination though, it can't hurt. I'm not sure of Horry's philosophy on
this, but IMHO I think lots of pressies twice a year is better than a
couple every fortnight on pay day.

Dassa

May 25, 2001, 7:17:14 AM5/25/01
On 25 May 2001 10:51:13 GMT, vickiclea...@dingoblue.net.au (Vicki
Cleaver) wrote:

>Whilst licking their paws in alt.ozdebate on 25 May 2001, da...@dhs.org
>(Dassa) purred:
>
>>Just curious, does everyone agree with giving young children this number
>>of gifts?
>>
>>To me it appears to be promoting expectations that may not be
>>maintained.
>>
>>My opinion is shaped by my own upbringing of course. However, I see
>>potential dangers in such generous gift giving.
>
>This is a tough one. My family never had the money to give us much, but we
>always got *something* for every birthday and Christmas and they didn't
>mean any less because we got little. I think if you have the money and the
>inclination though, it can't hurt. I'm not sure of Horry's philosophy on
>this, but IMHO I think lots of pressies twice a year is better than a
>couple every fortnight on pay day.

BTW...I cast no stones in direction on this issue. I grew up in a
situation where presents were few and far between. They were appreciated
when given. I was just wondering as I personally would consider any
present given from a single person over 2 to be excessive. However, I
realise this is from my own perspective and may not be shared. I was
curious what others thought.

Personally I would believe giving a lot of presents would minimise the
impact and appreciation. It may also lead to the expectation that large
numbers of presents are the norm and that when a situation arises where the
giving of large numbers of presents is not possible, trouble could arise.

Dassa

ScoobyGang

May 25, 2001, 7:39:54 AM5/25/01
Dassa my brother and I got some little things(as in inexpensive and stocking
fillers but stuff you would not get every day), clothes (always pjammas that
were one size too small from mum's mother) and one large/expensive item. I
think it works well that way as it provides memories for me at least. I
clearly remember the times I got The Treehouse Family (much like Pooh Bear's
Treehouse but with people and a dog) I had been wanting so much, the year we
got our bikes (mum tied string to the xmas tree and had a card on it from
'santa' saying to follow said string for the present. String went forever,
around the backyard, across the road to the service station (mum had oked
this with the owners prior), down the side street a little and around the
front yard then back to the front verandah to the end where the bikes were.
We were never the wiser and it is a fantastic memory), getting these two
huge blow up cats for our first xmas in this house (2 yrs old) along with my
pop up toaster and teaset that year.
All in proportion I think. If you don't get toys libraly all year long,
these occassions are nice to have, they remain special and I know I learnt
from them, the importance of giving from the heart as well as the
pocketbook.

Lea B

May 25, 2001, 8:03:37 AM5/25/01

"Dassa" <> wrote ...
> Horace wrote:

> >1 x Monster Truck
> >1 x Teletubbies Puzzle
> >2 x Bananas in Pyjamas Puzzle
> >1 x Kid's Camera
> >1 x Winnie the Pooh Duplo
> >1 x Play Doh Set
> >1 x copy of The Tigger Movie
> >1 x Action Man Polar Ski
> >1 x Bob the Builder
> >3 x Autotech Car things
> >1 x Remote Control Boat
> >1 x Wallabies autographed Rugby Union Ball
> >1 x Thomas the Tank Engine Railway Set
> >2 x Bear in the Big Blue House books
> >Numerous books and card games
>
> Just curious, does everyone agree with giving young children this number
of
> gifts?

no.

> To me it appears to be promoting expectations that may not be maintained.

correct.

> My opinion is shaped by my own upbringing of course. However, I see
> potential dangers in such generous gift giving.

I too am shaped by a rather frugal upbringing. Not always good either - we
sometimes befriended other kids for their toys/possessions. Nothing to be
proud of :(

I used to know a lady though who had the first grandchild in a large family.
The child received an obscene amount of gifts for Xmas/B'days etc. She
would choose a couple of gifts and put the others in a cupboard for a boring
rainy day etc. Her rellies simply would not *hear* of less/less extravagent
gifts, so it made it very hard for her to keep the child unspoilt.

Don't know how said child turned out - moved away/ lost contact long ago.

Phoenix

May 25, 2001, 8:11:38 AM5/25/01

You mean Amanda? Amanda Vanstone?
She's doing just fine

.---. .----------
/ \ __ / ------
/ / \('')/ -----
////// ' \/ ` ---
//// / // : : ---
// / / /` '--
// //..\\
====UU====UU====
'//||\\`
''``
phoen...@mydeja.com

Lea B

May 25, 2001, 8:09:26 AM5/25/01

"ScoobyGang" <> wrote ...

> I clearly remember the times I got The Treehouse Family (much like Pooh
Bear's
> Treehouse but with people and a dog) I had been wanting so much,

I looooved "The Family Treehouse"
( can still remember the song from the ad ). A girl down the street had
one, so we played with her a lot.
God that sounds bad ....

> I think i need t the year we

> got our bikes (mum tied string to the xmas tree and had a card on it from
> 'santa' saying to follow said string for the present. String went
forever,
> around the backyard, across the road to the service station (mum had oked
> this with the owners prior), down the side street a little and around the
> front yard then back to the front verandah to the end where the bikes
were.
> We were never the wiser and it is a fantastic memory)

Wow! - what a great mum !

ScoobyGang

May 25, 2001, 8:28:07 AM5/25/01

"Lea B"

> I looooved "The Family Treehouse"
> ( can still remember the song from the ad ). A girl down the street had
> one, so we played with her a lot.
> God that sounds bad ....

Yeah it does sound bad, but these things happen. We were by no means well
off, dad got married at 43 and started raising kids at 47. I was born when
he was 52 and he retired about 10 years later so money was always budgeted
and put aside in small ammounts in preperation for dad's retirement.
Thing is mum was a great budgeter and she went without alot of times. I
remember her having what we refered to jokingly as 'holy underwear'. (should
be easy enough to work out) She also did not buy herself new dresses all
the time, lucky if she bought a couple every 3-5 yrs.
We never wanted for anything and while my brother will tell it differently
(adoption issues that he let seed in his own mind but that were never quite
as he put them), it was a complete, happy and satisfying childhood.

> Wow! - what a great mum !

Yes she was and still is. She has never stopped to think twice about
helping us out when we have needed money for Dylan's clothes or a book/toy
etc, or when we needed a little extra for food (we payed for dad's food and
had an arrangement that he just pay for our $30.50 internet conection on his
CC each month (prior to getting cable last year when we just payed it
ourselves and nothing went on his card) to 'cover' it. It was so he felt
like he was contributing to his keep which was important to him at that
stage having always been a 'bread winner')

Now dad is gone we have just pooled resources and whatever money comes in is
just 'our' money and pays bills as needed and buys food for everyone etc.
It is great having that support as well as now being able to give something
back for all these years.

Lea B

May 25, 2001, 8:36:57 AM5/25/01

"Phoenix" <> wrote ...

lol :)

Lea B

May 25, 2001, 8:38:59 AM5/25/01

"Dassa" <> wrote ...

> BTW...I cast no stones in direction on this issue. I grew up in a
> situation where presents were few and far between. They were appreciated
> when given. I was just wondering as I personally would consider any
> present given from a single person over 2 to be excessive. However, I
> realise this is from my own perspective and may not be shared. I was
> curious what others thought.
>
> Personally I would believe giving a lot of presents would minimise the
> impact and appreciation. It may also lead to the expectation that large
> numbers of presents are the norm and that when a situation arises where
the
> giving of large numbers of presents is not possible, trouble could arise.

and I would tend to agree.
the loftier the expectation, the harder the fall ? yes.

Dassa

May 25, 2001, 8:52:40 AM5/25/01

So, the main point being that a number of presents on only a few occassions
is okay, providing it is not too frequent then. I am not trying to pick an
argument here, just trying to understand other views and maybe some better
perspective.

Okay, that seems fair enough.

Dassa

Dassa

May 25, 2001, 8:54:41 AM5/25/01

It does seem that the prevailing opinion is that providing the present
giving isn't too often, it can be rewarding without the drawbacks.

Interesting to see other perspectives.

Dassa

Téa Smith

May 25, 2001, 8:57:16 AM5/25/01
Dassa <da...@dhs.org> wrote

> Just curious, does everyone agree with giving young children this number
of
> gifts?
>
> To me it appears to be promoting expectations that may not be maintained.
>
> My opinion is shaped by my own upbringing of course. However, I see
> potential dangers in such generous gift giving.

I think it's Horace's business... but I were to offer an opinion, I would
agree. It's not an economic thing - but If the kid is 4 and getting that
many presents, just think what he is going to *expect* in years to come.

Then again, its all about what you teach them. You can not give them
anything and they can still be spoilt brats -- just as you can give them
everything and they respect it. Its all about the upbringing. I hope for
Horace's sake that it's the latter :) It's all about the values you teach
them.
--
Téa Smith
ICQ:21859695

ScoobyGang

May 25, 2001, 8:58:58 AM5/25/01

"Dassa"

> So, the main point being that a number of presents on only a few
occassions
> is okay, providing it is not too frequent then. I am not trying to pick
an
> argument here, just trying to understand other views and maybe some better
> perspective.

> Okay, that seems fair enough.

Basicly make special occassions special and make treats a real treat and not
just an everyday expectation.

The same thing applies to food items.

As a kid we ate normal healthy cereal etc during the school terms and only
had fruit loops or cocoa pops etc for treats during the holidays.

Dassa

May 25, 2001, 8:57:21 AM5/25/01
On Fri, 25 May 2001 22:03:37 +1000, "Lea B" <le...@cybergal.com> wrote:

>I used to know a lady though who had the first grandchild in a large family.
>The child received an obscene amount of gifts for Xmas/B'days etc. She
>would choose a couple of gifts and put the others in a cupboard for a boring
>rainy day etc. Her rellies simply would not *hear* of less/less extravagent
>gifts, so it made it very hard for her to keep the child unspoilt.
>
>Don't know how said child turned out - moved away/ lost contact long ago.

It would be hard to generalise but it would be interesting to know the
outcomes from the different situations. I think a frugal upbringing with
limited gift giving would make a person more self reliant and not expecting
too much from others but I may be wrong.

Dassa

ScoobyGang

May 25, 2001, 9:08:04 AM5/25/01

"Téa Smith"

> Then again, its all about what you teach them. You can not give them
> anything and they can still be spoilt brats -- just as you can give them
> everything and they respect it. Its all about the upbringing. I hope for
> Horace's sake that it's the latter :) It's all about the values you teach
> them.

My brother and I were treated and tought the same way.
We are distinctly different as far as values etc go.

I always loved finding clothes in the OP Shop, he always had to have the
Levis and $300 sneakers all about lables. ( though years later he told the
story the other way round, that mum bought me the expensive stuff and he
only got op shop clothes...) I have respect for money, what it can and can
not buy/get you in life and after it is spent I respect those things that I
have to show for it. I respect other people's possesions, my brother simply
never has. It goes as far back as when Miss Pacman first came out for Atari
and I saved up the $60 to buy it, I saved for weeks and finally it was mine.
Not too long after my brother took it and several other cartridges which
were family property and sold them ALL for $15 JOB LOT! He was well aware
of my little childish desires and the plan of action I took to get the game
but it meant nothing to him. There are many more example that are far worse
than that but I wont go into them now.

We are two kids, brought up in the same house with the same parents, rules
etc.
I find from this experience that it is not how or what you teach a child,
but how willing they are to learn.

Dassa

May 25, 2001, 9:08:48 AM5/25/01

I think I had something different to porridge or weatbix once when I was
kid :). It was while travelling and they offered they little packs of
cereal. Rice Bubbles I think it was.

Dassa

Dassa

May 25, 2001, 9:11:02 AM5/25/01
On Fri, 25 May 2001 22:54:07 +1000, August <augus...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I also have strong objections to 'media-ised' merchandise focused at an
>adult market for what adults 'think' kids want.

If we discount the "fashion" element, kids just want something that will
stimulate them. It doesn't have to be an object at all, it can be some
extra attention or participation from those around them.

Dassa

Dassa

May 25, 2001, 9:14:04 AM5/25/01
On Fri, 25 May 2001 20:57:16 +0800, "Téa Smith" <tea...@iinet.net.au>
wrote:

>I think it's Horace's business... but I were to offer an opinion, I would
>agree. It's not an economic thing - but If the kid is 4 and getting that
>many presents, just think what he is going to *expect* in years to come.
>
>Then again, its all about what you teach them. You can not give them
>anything and they can still be spoilt brats -- just as you can give them
>everything and they respect it. Its all about the upbringing. I hope for
>Horace's sake that it's the latter :) It's all about the values you teach
>them.

Agreed, and the general opinion expressed so far is along these lines.

How many people however, equate gift giving as a substitute for real
emotional contact?

Dassa

Lea B

May 25, 2001, 9:20:59 AM5/25/01

"Dassa" <> wrote ...

> It would be hard to generalise but it would be interesting to know the
> outcomes from the different situations. I think a frugal upbringing with
> limited gift giving would make a person more self reliant and not
expecting
> too much from others but I may be wrong.

Well that's how it is for me.
But again - not a good thing. Some might label me 'mean', or 'cold'.

I don't like to receive gifts as I do not accept them graciously. I was not
taught how, and now it seems unnatural to me to accept from others. It
annoys me that I am so awkward in this regard, and so I tend to avoid
occasions where a gift might be presented to me.

Give me a good meal with friends/family any day.

Téa Smith

May 25, 2001, 9:25:02 AM5/25/01
Dassa <da...@dhs.org> wrote

> I think I had something different to porridge or weatbix once when I was
> kid :). It was while travelling and they offered they little packs of
> cereal. Rice Bubbles I think it was.

I have something worse. For some reason my mum thought it was a good idea
(cheaper with 5 kids I suspect) to give us powdered milk on our wheeties.
Bleccch! Carton milk was a luxury in my house! :)

Téa Smith

May 25, 2001, 9:34:07 AM5/25/01

Dassa <da...@dhs.org> wrote

> Agreed, and the general opinion expressed so far is along these lines.
>
> How many people however, equate gift giving as a substitute for real
> emotional contact?

I think you have to be careful with gift giving. We got lots of presents as
kids, but they were always at birthdays and Christmas only. that doesn't
mean that impulsive gift giving is bad in itself though.

Unfortunately some parents fall into the trap of giving presents in exchange
for time or love or attention, or to bribe them, or even worse, to play
point scorer with an ex-wife or whatever.

At the end of the day, I don't think it's what you give them in a material
sense, it is more the reasons behind the gift -- if that makes sense. If
your signals with your kid are clear, then you can buy them everything in
the world. I dunno. ;)

Looking again at Horace's list though, they are a lot of small gifts -
adding up to a few hundred dollars. I don't think that is any different to
buying one $400 present for a birthday.

Dassa

May 25, 2001, 9:36:53 AM5/25/01
On Fri, 25 May 2001 21:25:02 +0800, "Téa Smith" <tea...@iinet.net.au>
wrote:

>Dassa <da...@dhs.org> wrote

I didn't see powered milk (for humans) until in the the middle to late
teens. I was raised on bottled or fresh milk. A fair bit of very fresh
milk as I spent a number of the early years on a dairy farm. :)

Remember being about 13 when I first came across evaporative milk in a can,
thought it was neat :)

Dassa

Vicki Cleaver

May 25, 2001, 9:39:25 AM5/25/01
Whilst licking their paws in alt.ozdebate on 25 May 2001, "Téa Smith"
<tea...@iinet.net.au> purred:

Yes, YECK! We had powdered milk a lot as kids and as a result I grew to
hate milk. Will only drink it now with flavouring or on cereal. Can't
stand plain milk.

Dassa

May 25, 2001, 9:38:07 AM5/25/01

I tend to be somewhat the same. Not sure if it is best outcome.

Dassa

Dassa

May 25, 2001, 9:40:46 AM5/25/01
On Fri, 25 May 2001 13:08:04 GMT, "ScoobyGang"
<Scoob...@optushome.com.au> wrote:

>I find from this experience that it is not how or what you teach a child,
>but how willing they are to learn.

Common thinking in this regard is that it is the exception and not the
rule. But then they back up their findings with stats that I usually
discount.

Thank you for sharing.

Dassa

Vicki Cleaver

May 25, 2001, 9:49:36 AM5/25/01
Whilst licking their paws in alt.ozdebate on 25 May 2001, da...@dhs.org
(Dassa) purred:

>On 25 May 2001 13:39:25 GMT, vickiclea...@dingoblue.net.au (Vicki

>Cleaver) wrote:
>
>>Whilst licking their paws in alt.ozdebate on 25 May 2001, "Téa Smith"
>><tea...@iinet.net.au> purred:
>>
>>>Dassa <da...@dhs.org> wrote

>>>I have something worse. For some reason my mum thought it was a good
>>>idea (cheaper with 5 kids I suspect) to give us powdered milk on our
>>>wheeties. Bleccch! Carton milk was a luxury in my house! :)
>>
>>Yes, YECK! We had powdered milk a lot as kids and as a result I grew
>>to hate milk. Will only drink it now with flavouring or on cereal.
>>Can't stand plain milk.
>

>Although I spent a fair amount of time on a dairy farm I like milk.
>Can't drink very much of it any more due to some stomach problems but I
>love the taste.

Even the smell of plain milk makes me feel really sick. I was raised on
cow's milk and then, as I said before, powdered milk, but can't stand the
stuff now.

Dassa

May 25, 2001, 9:46:50 AM5/25/01
Cleaver) wrote:

>Whilst licking their paws in alt.ozdebate on 25 May 2001, "Téa Smith"
><tea...@iinet.net.au> purred:
>
>>Dassa <da...@dhs.org> wrote
>>
>>> I think I had something different to porridge or weatbix once when I was
>>> kid :). It was while travelling and they offered they little packs of
>>> cereal. Rice Bubbles I think it was.
>>
>>I have something worse. For some reason my mum thought it was a good idea
>>(cheaper with 5 kids I suspect) to give us powdered milk on our wheeties.
>>Bleccch! Carton milk was a luxury in my house! :)
>
>Yes, YECK! We had powdered milk a lot as kids and as a result I grew to
>hate milk. Will only drink it now with flavouring or on cereal. Can't
>stand plain milk.

Although I spent a fair amount of time on a dairy farm I like milk. Can't

drink very much of it any more due to some stomach problems but I love the
taste.

Dassa

Dassa

May 25, 2001, 9:55:23 AM5/25/01
On Fri, 25 May 2001 21:34:07 +0800, "Téa Smith" <tea...@iinet.net.au>
wrote:

Although it was Horry's list that sparked this line of discussion, his
present giving is not the issue. But on the points you raise, I would
consider spending $400 on a 4 year old for presents of this nature
excessive and a waste of money. My opinion only and I appreciate Horry has
different values to me and it may be acceptable for his situation.

I tend to be a poor gift giver and don't expect presents myself. When I do
buy gifts, they are important ones and usually of utility value. The
amount of use I expect drives the amount I spend. I place different values
on things to Horry obviously but that does not mean his values are wrong,
just different. The point of the thread is to discover what are the common
values amongst the participants. There does seem to be some points in
common.

Dassa

Téa Smith

May 25, 2001, 9:59:23 AM5/25/01

Vicki Cleaver <vickiclea...@dingoblue.net.au> wrote

> Yes, YECK! We had powdered milk a lot as kids and as a result I grew to
> hate milk. Will only drink it now with flavouring or on cereal. Can't
> stand plain milk.

To this day I cannot drink milk that is more than about a day old, otherwise
it gets that awful taste that reminds me of powdered milk.

I love milk (don't be rude *g*), but I am really fussy with that sort fo
thing.
Same with day-old bread. Cant eat it unless I saw the bread killed first.

ScoobyGang

May 25, 2001, 10:01:53 AM5/25/01
I love the creamy powdered milk, has to be the right brand but I forget
which brand that is right now! Think it may be as simple as savings brand
actually. I also love UHT milk

Dion Mikkelsen

May 25, 2001, 10:05:05 AM5/25/01
On 25 May 2001 13:39:25 GMT, vickiclea...@dingoblue.net.au (Vicki Cleaver)
wrote, after pausing and ensuring that what they were going to write was not
absolute gobbledy-gook:

>Yes, YECK! We had powdered milk a lot as kids and as a result I grew to
>hate milk. Will only drink it now with flavouring or on cereal. Can't
>stand plain milk.

Hrm. I drink about 5-6litres of milk per week - the full cream stuff. I love
milk. Nothing nicer on a hot summers day than a ice-cold glass of milk! Mmmm.

Or a Coke, of course, if I feel a headache coming on (need the sugar/caffiene
hit!).

Dion M.
http://dionsplace.terrashare.com/

"It takes a lot of brains to enjoy satire, humour and wit - but none to be offended by them."

ScoobyGang

May 25, 2001, 10:14:17 AM5/25/01

"Dassa"

> >Give me a good meal with friends/family any day.

> I tend to be somewhat the same. Not sure if it is best outcome.

We had both on the special occassions. Our reletives lived interstate so it
was just mum, dad and the two kids but we ALWAYS sat down to a special
family dinner for birthdays and xmas.

Horace Wachope

May 25, 2001, 10:17:01 AM5/25/01
On Fri, 25 May 2001 08:54:24 GMT, da...@dhs.org (Dassa) wrote:

>On Fri, 25 May 2001 17:42:12 +0930, Horace Wachope
><horryw...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>On 24 May 2001 07:01:51 GMT, vickiclea...@dingoblue.net.au
>>(Vicki Cleaver) wrote:
>>
>>>Let us know what you end up getting.

>>1 x Monster Truck
>>1 x Teletubbies Puzzle
>>2 x Bananas in Pyjamas Puzzle
>>1 x Kid's Camera
>>1 x Winnie the Pooh Duplo
>>1 x Play Doh Set
>>1 x copy of The Tigger Movie
>>1 x Action Man Polar Ski
>>1 x Bob the Builder
>>3 x Autotech Car things
>>1 x Remote Control Boat
>>1 x Wallabies autographed Rugby Union Ball
>>1 x Thomas the Tank Engine Railway Set
>>2 x Bear in the Big Blue House books
>>Numerous books and card games
>

>Just curious, does everyone agree with giving young children this number of
>gifts?
>
>To me it appears to be promoting expectations that may not be maintained.

How so?

>My opinion is shaped by my own upbringing of course. However, I see
>potential dangers in such generous gift giving.

I can't think of any serious ones.

Horace Wachope

May 25, 2001, 10:05:32 AM5/25/01
On Fri, 25 May 2001 09:08:56 GMT, "ScoobyGang"
<Scoob...@optushome.com.au> wrote:

>"Horace Wachope"

>> >Let us know what you end up getting.
>> 1 x Monster Truck
>> 1 x Teletubbies Puzzle
>> 2 x Bananas in Pyjamas Puzzle
>> 1 x Kid's Camera
>> 1 x Winnie the Pooh Duplo
>> 1 x Play Doh Set
>> 1 x copy of The Tigger Movie
>> 1 x Action Man Polar Ski
>> 1 x Bob the Builder
>> 3 x Autotech Car things
>> 1 x Remote Control Boat
>> 1 x Wallabies autographed Rugby Union Ball
>> 1 x Thomas the Tank Engine Railway Set
>> 2 x Bear in the Big Blue House books
>> Numerous books and card games
>

>Sound like a Christmas list not a birthday one :)

You only get one or two presents from Christmas.

Birthdays are the big one.

Horace Wachope

May 25, 2001, 10:24:54 AM5/25/01
wrote:

>> To me it appears to be promoting expectations that may not be maintained.
>
>correct.

Incorrect.

>> My opinion is shaped by my own upbringing of course. However, I see
>> potential dangers in such generous gift giving.
>

>I too am shaped by a rather frugal upbringing. Not always good either - we
>sometimes befriended other kids for their toys/possessions. Nothing to be
>proud of :(

>I used to know a lady though who had the first grandchild in a large family.
>The child received an obscene amount of gifts for Xmas/B'days etc. She
>would choose a couple of gifts and put the others in a cupboard for a boring
>rainy day etc. Her rellies simply would not *hear* of less/less extravagent
>gifts, so it made it very hard for her to keep the child unspoilt.

Gift-giving doesn't spoil a child per se.

Giving a kid whatever it wants, when it wants does.

>Don't know how said child turned out - moved away/ lost contact long ago.

So there's really no point to the story? :-)

Horace Wachope

May 25, 2001, 10:37:03 AM5/25/01
On Fri, 25 May 2001 13:55:23 GMT, da...@dhs.org (Dassa) wrote:

>Although it was Horry's list that sparked this line of discussion, his
>present giving is not the issue. But on the points you raise, I would
>consider spending $400 on a 4 year old for presents of this nature
>excessive and a waste of money. My opinion only and I appreciate Horry has
>different values to me and it may be acceptable for his situation.
>
>I tend to be a poor gift giver and don't expect presents myself. When I do
>buy gifts, they are important ones and usually of utility value. The
>amount of use I expect drives the amount I spend. I place different values
>on things to Horry obviously but that does not mean his values are wrong,
>just different.

I haven't seen anything in this thread to highlight any difference in
"values" whatsoever.

Horace Wachope

May 25, 2001, 10:25:28 AM5/25/01

We're talking about a four year old here.

Horace Wachope

May 25, 2001, 10:34:29 AM5/25/01

Is there something you want to say?

Horace Wachope

May 25, 2001, 10:28:44 AM5/25/01

With the exception of The Tigger Movie, how would these toys not
stimulate a four year old?

ScoobyGang

May 25, 2001, 10:15:58 AM5/25/01

"Horace Wachope"

> >Sound like a Christmas list not a birthday one :)
> You only get one or two presents from Christmas.
> Birthdays are the big one.

Fair enough, we used to get a couple big gifts of major import for Birthdays
and as i said before one special and many smaller for xmas.

Horace Wachope

May 25, 2001, 10:23:13 AM5/25/01
On Fri, 25 May 2001 22:38:59 +1000, "Lea B" <le...@cybergal.com>
wrote:

>"Dassa" <> wrote ...
>
>> BTW...I cast no stones in direction on this issue. I grew up in a
>> situation where presents were few and far between. They were appreciated
>> when given. I was just wondering as I personally would consider any
>> present given from a single person over 2 to be excessive. However, I
>> realise this is from my own perspective and may not be shared. I was
>> curious what others thought.
>>
>> Personally I would believe giving a lot of presents would minimise the
>> impact and appreciation. It may also lead to the expectation that large
>> numbers of presents are the norm and that when a situation arises where
>the
>> giving of large numbers of presents is not possible, trouble could arise.
>

>and I would tend to agree.
>the loftier the expectation, the harder the fall ? yes.

Why get your hopes up because you're going to fail anyway?

Defeatist attitude :-)

John Phillips

May 25, 2001, 10:41:06 AM5/25/01

That I should be calling women the morning after instead of sending
gifts?

--

ICQ UIN: 107533462

Horace Wachope

May 25, 2001, 10:47:17 AM5/25/01

No. You should be giving gifts the morning after instead of sending
for callgirls.

John Phillips

May 25, 2001, 10:54:08 AM5/25/01
On Sat, 26 May 2001 00:17:17 +0930, Horace Wachope
<horryw...@hotmail.com> wrote:

I'll consider it. The financial savings are tempting.

--

ICQ UIN: 107533462

ScoobyGang

May 25, 2001, 11:18:12 AM5/25/01

"Horace Wachope"

> With the exception of The Tigger Movie, how would these toys not
> stimulate a four year old?

tigger Movie sure stimulates my child. He bounces and sings and dances and
play acts.

saph

May 25, 2001, 6:35:50 PM5/25/01
Dassa introduced us to their quirky thoughts by saying.......

> It would be hard to generalise but it would be interesting to know the
> outcomes from the different situations. I think a frugal upbringing with
> limited gift giving would make a person more self reliant and not expecting
> too much from others but I may be wrong.

blah, getting one present from the family for birthdays and
christmasses sucked!!!!

My parents always got me shitty cheap stuff and I hated it.....

--
Saph
I don't have a clever sig

Vicki Cleaver

May 25, 2001, 7:26:08 PM5/25/01
Whilst licking their paws in alt.ozdebate on 26 May 2001,
dmikk...@start.com.au (Dion Mikkelsen) purred:

>Or a Coke, of course, if I feel a headache coming on (need the
>sugar/caffiene hit!).

Sounds like a withdrawl headache if you feel you "need" the caffeine to get
rid of the headache. Do you drink a lot of caffeine?

Vicki Cleaver

May 25, 2001, 7:25:10 PM5/25/01
Whilst licking their paws in alt.ozdebate on 26 May 2001, "ScoobyGang"
<Scoob...@optushome.com.au> purred:

>I love the creamy powdered milk, has to be the right brand but I forget
>which brand that is right now! Think it may be as simple as savings brand
>actually. I also love UHT milk

Uggh! UHT milk is even worse than powdered milk IMHO. Can't even stand
the smell of the stuff. I'd rather eat dry cereal than have UHT milk on
it. Oh, I make one exception to that - the fairly new Dairy Farmers
variety of it. I got it once and it tastes okay - well as far as milk goes
:)

Vicki Cleaver

May 25, 2001, 7:28:37 PM5/25/01
Whilst licking their paws in alt.ozdebate on 26 May 2001, Horace Wachope
<horryw...@hotmail.com> purred:

At our house it was pretty much the same as Scooby's - we got a couple of
biggish gifts for our birthday then one big gift at Christmas with a few
other little gifts. Guess it's just the way you are brought up - and as
Dassa said it's not wrong, just different!

Caveat: my birthday is in December - only 11 days before Christmas. So my
memory of what I got when could be totally skewed considering how close I
got the presents anyway!

Vicki Cleaver

May 25, 2001, 7:23:54 PM5/25/01
Whilst licking their paws in alt.ozdebate on 25 May 2001, "Téa Smith"
<tea...@iinet.net.au> purred:

I'm funny about bread too. Unless it's ultra fresh it has to be toasted or
I won't go near it. Wonder if there's a connection?

Vicki Cleaver

May 25, 2001, 7:31:57 PM5/25/01
Whilst licking their paws in alt.ozdebate on 26 May 2001, Horace Wachope
<horryw...@hotmail.com> purred:

>On Fri, 25 May 2001 22:03:37 +1000, "Lea B" <le...@cybergal.com>

>wrote:
>
>>> To me it appears to be promoting expectations that may not be
>>> maintained.
>>
>>correct.
>
>Incorrect.
>
>>> My opinion is shaped by my own upbringing of course. However, I see
>>> potential dangers in such generous gift giving.
>>
>>I too am shaped by a rather frugal upbringing. Not always good either
>>- we sometimes befriended other kids for their toys/possessions.
>>Nothing to be proud of :(
>>
>>I used to know a lady though who had the first grandchild in a large
>>family. The child received an obscene amount of gifts for Xmas/B'days
>>etc. She would choose a couple of gifts and put the others in a
>>cupboard for a boring rainy day etc. Her rellies simply would not
>>*hear* of less/less extravagent gifts, so it made it very hard for her
>>to keep the child unspoilt.
>
>Gift-giving doesn't spoil a child per se.
>
>Giving a kid whatever it wants, when it wants does.

Actually I'd have to agree with you there, Horry. Parents that buy their
kids gifts all year round every time a new one is released every couple of
weeks is spoiling. I don't think you *can* truly spoil a child by giving
gifts at Christmas and Birthdays if that's the only time you really give
them. If the child knows they have to wait for a special ocassion to
receive a gift, then you are teaching them patience. There aren't many
spoilt kids who are patient.

Dion Mikkelsen

May 25, 2001, 8:39:04 PM5/25/01
On 25 May 2001 23:26:08 GMT, vickiclea...@dingoblue.net.au (Vicki Cleaver)

wrote, after pausing and ensuring that what they were going to write was not
absolute gobbledy-gook:

>Whilst licking their paws in alt.ozdebate on 26 May 2001,

>dmikk...@start.com.au (Dion Mikkelsen) purred:
>
>>Or a Coke, of course, if I feel a headache coming on (need the
>>sugar/caffiene hit!).
>
>Sounds like a withdrawl headache if you feel you "need" the caffeine to get
>rid of the headache. Do you drink a lot of caffeine?

Nah, sugar headaches. I only drink on avg 1 Coke/day during the week (at
lunch). Hate Coffee etc, coke is the only source of it for me.

Vicki Cleaver

May 25, 2001, 8:46:13 PM5/25/01
Whilst licking their paws in alt.ozdebate on 26 May 2001,
dmikk...@start.com.au (Dion Mikkelsen) purred:

>On 25 May 2001 23:26:08 GMT, vickiclea...@dingoblue.net.au (Vicki
>Cleaver) wrote, after pausing and ensuring that what they were going to
>write was not absolute gobbledy-gook:
>
>>Whilst licking their paws in alt.ozdebate on 26 May 2001,
>>dmikk...@start.com.au (Dion Mikkelsen) purred:
>>
>>>Or a Coke, of course, if I feel a headache coming on (need the
>>>sugar/caffiene hit!).
>>
>>Sounds like a withdrawl headache if you feel you "need" the caffeine to
>>get rid of the headache. Do you drink a lot of caffeine?
>
>Nah, sugar headaches. I only drink on avg 1 Coke/day during the week
>(at lunch). Hate Coffee etc, coke is the only source of it for me.

Oh, okay. You do realise that can be an early sign of diabetes, don't you?
Getting headaches when you don't get enough sugar? Sometimes also getting
headaches when you have too much sugar?

Trish

May 25, 2001, 9:36:47 PM5/25/01

"Vicki Cleaver" <vickiclea...@dingoblue.net.au> wrote in message

That's like with my 2 kids, Christopher will be 1 on Nov 29 and Janine is 5
on Jan 18. I think I'll just give them a few pressies for their B'days, and
the same for Christmas. I've had people tell me not to get anything for
their b'days and just give at Christmas, others say the opposite. You
*have* to give them *something* for a birthday, even if it's only small.

It is loading more messages.