HP st336706lw 36.4 10K Ultra3 SCSI Drive problem!

R. LaCasse

Sep 16, 2008, 11:06:08 PM9/16/08

Regarding a HP st336706lw 36.4 10K Ultra3 SCSI Drive:

I'm using win/9x and when running this SCSI HDDrive, all I can read
is 1.9GB after a long SCSI aha ultra low level format, and then a Win/9x
reformat...."SCSI Mechanic" or Adaptec's partitioners doesn't see anything
more than 1.9GB partition/ttl drive.

I don't see a minimal 8GB, or anything like the minimal win/95 would
allow.....I forced the SE HDD jumper and termed properly on the cable end
since it has no HDD terminate jumper...it's an LVD of course.

This drive has 36.4GB, where did the other 34.5GB go,......... has
anyone ever experienced this 1.9GB max of a larger scsi drive?

All my other scsi drives have no problem being seen or fully 32bit
partition formatted....

Squeeze

Sep 17, 2008, 3:53:41 PM9/17/08
R. LaCasse wrote in news:osr0d4lnuso3gtedg...@4ax.com
> Regarding a HP st336706lw 36.4 10K Ultra3 SCSI Drive:
>
> I'm using win/9x and when running this SCSI HDDrive, all I can read
> is 1.9GB

> after a long SCSI aha ultra low level format,

What was that good for.

> and then a Win/9x reformat...."SCSI Mechanic" or Adaptec's par-

> titioners doesn't see anything more than 1.9GB partition/ttl drive.
>
> I don't see a minimal 8GB, or anything like the minimal win/95 would
> allow.....

> I forced the SE HDD jumper and termed properly on the cable
> end since it has no HDD terminate jumper...it's an LVD of course.

Which obviously has nothing got to do with it.

> This drive has 36.4GB, where did the other 34.5GB go,......... has
> anyone ever experienced this 1.9GB max of a larger scsi drive?
>
> All my other scsi drives have no problem being seen or fully 32bit
> partition formatted....

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=wdbench+shortstroke

If shortstroke is not the problem it may be a modulo xxGB BIOS problem.

Oh, and cut the software newsgroups when you reply.

Michael Hawes

Sep 26, 2008, 5:45:38 PM9/26/08

"Squeeze" <rubbe...@duckies.au> wrote in message

Have you formatted FAT16?

Mike.

R. LaCasse

Sep 27, 2008, 7:48:18 AM9/27/08
On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 20:53:41 +0100, "Squeeze" <rubbe...@duckies.au> wrote:

|>> All my other scsi drives have no problem being seen or fully 32bit
|>> partition formatted....
|>
|>http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=wdbench+shortstroke
|>
|>If shortstroke is not the problem it may be a modulo xxGB BIOS problem.

Lot's of interesting GUI scsi utils.....but they are all the same,
when an HP bare-drive in a non HP machine is used!

R. LaCasse

Sep 27, 2008, 7:53:06 AM9/27/08
On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 22:45:38 +0100, "Michael Hawes"
<michael.ha...@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

|>Have you formatted FAT16?
|>
|>Mike.

No FAT32 as is in the windows default recognition, only this time it
seemed to recognize too much and made a weird mbr format........

This is a 10 minute format, it should be drawing a lot of lines, but
des not see them?

Michael Hawes

Sep 26, 2008, 5:45:38 PM9/26/08