BSOD Bad_Pool_Caller, javascript related

Skywise

May 22, 2013, 6:02:52 PM5/22/13
Besides the obvious "ditch Win2k" answer, I'd like to try to
resolve a problem I'm having with my Win2kPro SP4 system.
I am getting a BSOD "Bad_Pool_Caller" when I visit certain
webpages and it seems to be caused by javascript.

It started sporadically about a year ago. A minor annoyance
not enough to worry about at the time because it was so
infrequent. Actually, it started with only one web page in
particular.

It seemed to be related to javascript as I tried disabling
that and the page would load ok. So whenever visiting that
one page, I just disabled JS for the duration and all was fine.

But recently, it's started happening to more and more sites.
It is repeatable. I can go back to the same web page and get
the same result. Disabling JS stops the crashing. But still,
it only happened maybe once a week.

Anyway, that was with Firefox 3.5.6. I recently upgraded to
8.0.1 for other reasons and now the BSOD is happening daily.
I had hoped for it to go away.

I've since enabled minidumps on crash so I can get more info.
It is always caused by Win32k.sys.

Sometimes, just before the crash I will get a popup from my
software firewall for an outbound connection request by
"Services and Controller App" to what turns out to be my DNS
server (I currently use OpenDNS). This may or may not be
related as it doesn't always happen.

Virus scan shows nothing, not that that is 100% reliable.

Any ideas of how to figure this out?

I want to avoid erasing and reinstalling Firefox (PITA) or a
flatten & rebuild. If those turn out to be the only options,
then I guess it'll be time to lay Win2k to rest. This system
is otherwise stable and very usable, and rebulding from
scratch would be a serious investment in time due to the
number of programs installed. In fact, I know one program
would be a loss unless a replacement install CD can be found.

Brian
Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?

Mark Lloyd

May 23, 2013, 8:57:05 PM5/23/13
On 05/22/2013 05:02 PM, Skywise wrote:
> Besides the obvious "ditch Win2k" answer, I'd like to try to
> resolve a problem I'm having with my Win2kPro SP4 system.
> I am getting a BSOD "Bad_Pool_Caller" when I visit certain
> webpages and it seems to be caused by javascript.

[snip]

I'm running 2 older machines with w2k, and the last version of Firefox
(12) that will run on w2k. I have not seen that error, maybe if you
named one of the failing websites I could try it.

Opera was updated for w2k for awhile linger. Maybe it'd work?

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"The Definition of an Upgrade: Take old bugs out, put new ones in."

Skywise

May 24, 2013, 1:11:17 AM5/24/13
Mark Lloyd <non...@none.invalid> wrote in news:CVynt.256231$o7.184495
@fed16.iad:

> On 05/22/2013 05:02 PM, Skywise wrote:
>> Besides the obvious "ditch Win2k" answer, I'd like to try to
>> resolve a problem I'm having with my Win2kPro SP4 system.
>> I am getting a BSOD "Bad_Pool_Caller" when I visit certain
>> webpages and it seems to be caused by javascript.
>
> [snip]
>
> I'm running 2 older machines with w2k, and the last version of Firefox
> (12) that will run on w2k.

So v12 does work? I was reading conflicting opinions on that.
There were even some who said it would work but certain features
wouldn't. I installed 8 since I already had the installs from my
XP machine.

> I have not seen that error, maybe if you
> named one of the failing websites I could try it.

Well, odds are they will work for you just fine. But here's two.
I thought I was already saving a list but can't find it, so had
to go hunting.

www.cnn.com/2013/05/23/tech/innovation/apple-1-up-for-auction/index.html?
hpt=hp_t3

www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/05/12/world-war-ii-s-strangest-battle-
when-americans-and-germans-fought-together.html

Interestingly, this last one crashes even with javascript turned off.
That is the first time that has happened. I've always been able to
go to the pages just fine with JS off until this one.

> Opera was updated for w2k for awhile linger. Maybe it'd work?

I'm sure using a different browser will work. I suspect this is a
problem specifically with Firefox. And since it's a new thing, I
suspect it's something that got corrupted. I jsut can't think of
anything that I did recently that caused it. It's been slowly getting
worse over time until I did the upgrade to 8 that made it really
bad.

What I was hoping for was maybe some ideas to help narrow the search.
But, the more I think about this, the less I think I'll be able to
resolve the issue. Win2k is so old, and I could never upgrade to the
latest Firefox, so between the two there's no official support.

I do have some spare hard drives. I was thinking I might make a new
Win2k install and just get the basics going, with this version of
Firefox. Then, I could do a file comparison to see what's different.
Perhaps, maybe if I'm terribly lucky, I might find some dll or some
such file that's different.

Hmmm.... I wonder if I should manually clear the cache. My install
of GoogleEarth used to crash on connection to the server until I
found the solution to be clearing the cache.

Johny B Good

May 24, 2013, 9:47:55 AM5/24/13
On Fri, 24 May 2013 05:11:17 GMT, Skywise <in...@oblivion.nothing.com>
wrote:
I've got Opera 11.62 installed along with java version6 update 31
which, afaicr, are the latest versions that still work ok with win2k
Pro SP4. I didn't see any issues with those two web sites.

>I'm sure using a different browser will work. I suspect this is a
>problem specifically with Firefox. And since it's a new thing, I
>suspect it's something that got corrupted. I jsut can't think of
>anything that I did recently that caused it. It's been slowly getting
>worse over time until I did the upgrade to 8 that made it really
>bad.

I've never been a fan of FF which seems to require as much protection
against bad sites from SpyBot's immunisation feature as any and all
versions of IE (The only reason FF became the recommended "secure"
alternative web browser by the US defence department instead of the
more sane choice of Opera was simply because it was an unconditionally
free software product, unlike Opera's banner ad sponsored freeby).

>What I was hoping for was maybe some ideas to help narrow the search.
>But, the more I think about this, the less I think I'll be able to
>resolve the issue. Win2k is so old, and I could never upgrade to the
>latest Firefox, so between the two there's no official support.

That, unfortunately, seems to be the way of the world of global
corporate development policy.

>I do have some spare hard drives. I was thinking I might make a new
>Win2k install and just get the basics going, with this version of
>Firefox. Then, I could do a file comparison to see what's different.
>Perhaps, maybe if I'm terribly lucky, I might find some dll or some
>such file that's different.

That's certainly worth trying. Sometimes, a "Fresh Install" will
bypass update hell induced problems. The nicest thing about win2k at
the moment (apart from the obvious one of it being the best version of
windows ever produced by microsoft to date) is the blessed relief from
endless updates. ;-)

>Hmmm.... I wonder if I should manually clear the cache. My install
>of GoogleEarth used to crash on connection to the server until I
>found the solution to be clearing the cache.

That's yet another option well worth pursuing.
--
Regards, J B Good

Mark Lloyd

May 24, 2013, 10:19:09 AM5/24/13
On 05/24/2013 12:11 AM, Skywise wrote:

[snip]

> Well, odds are they will work for you just fine. But here's two.
> I thought I was already saving a list but can't find it, so had
> to go hunting.
>
> www.cnn.com/2013/05/23/tech/innovation/apple-1-up-for-auction/index.html?
> hpt=hp_t3
>
> www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/05/12/world-war-ii-s-strangest-battle-
> when-americans-and-germans-fought-together.html
>
> Interestingly, this last one crashes even with javascript turned off.
> That is the first time that has happened. I've always been able to
> go to the pages just fine with JS off until this one.

Both loaded fine on my system. Javascript is definitely on.

[snip]

> What I was hoping for was maybe some ideas to help narrow the search.
> But, the more I think about this, the less I think I'll be able to
> resolve the issue. Win2k is so old, and I could never upgrade to the
> latest Firefox, so between the two there's no official support.
>
> I do have some spare hard drives. I was thinking I might make a new
> Win2k install and just get the basics going, with this version of
> Firefox. Then, I could do a file comparison to see what's different.
> Perhaps, maybe if I'm terribly lucky, I might find some dll or some
> such file that's different.

A Windows installation (even w2k, sometimes considered the best version
of Windows ever) will get corrupted over time. An occasional
reinstallation is a good idea. Also, doing is on a spare drive makes it
easy to get something you forgot.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"When utensils were invented, the Catholic church condemned them."

Java Jive

May 24, 2013, 11:04:03 AM5/24/13
Tried the first on both my standard W2k build and XP upgraded from
that W2k build, on FF v3.6, Opera v11.52, and IE6 - no blue screens,
the first two loaded it fine, but the latter threw up so many demands
to allow sub-frames to navigate to different domains, which I
consistently refused, that eventually I had to throw out IE6 with Task
Manager.

The second gave a "Page not found" page, IYSWIM.

Something in the back of my mind is tapping me on the shoulder and
whispering "Flash" in my ear. I wonder if this is to do with the
version of Flash installed. IIRC, Flash supports W2k only up to
version 11, which is what I have on both machines. That's a bit
weird, because according to the Adobe site, the latest version seems
to be 10.3.183.86, yet I'm certain that in the past I have been
prompted many times to upgrade to a version 12 ...

http://get2.adobe.com/flashplayer/

At any rate, it's something to look at. If your version of Flash is
neither 11 nor 10.3 as linked above, go into Control Panel, Add and
remove programs and uninstall it, and then try 10.3.

If you already have 10.3, you could try and find an installer for v11.

wrote:

> Mark Lloyd <non...@none.invalid> wrote in news:CVynt.256231$o7.184495
> @fed16.iad:
>
> www.cnn.com/2013/05/23/tech/innovation/apple-1-up-for-auction/index.html?
> hpt=hp_t3
>
> www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/05/12/world-war-ii-s-strangest-battle-
> when-americans-and-germans-fought-together.html

Skywise

May 24, 2013, 11:22:41 PM5/24/13
Java Jive <ja...@evij.com.invalid> wrote in

> Something in the back of my mind is tapping me on the shoulder and
> whispering "Flash" in my ear. I wonder if this is to do with the
> version of Flash installed. IIRC, Flash supports W2k only up to
> version 11, which is what I have on both machines. That's a bit
> weird, because according to the Adobe site, the latest version seems
> to be 10.3.183.86, yet I'm certain that in the past I have been
> prompted many times to upgrade to a version 12 ...

hmmmm... and do I understand right that Flash relies on javascript?
Such that disabling javascript also stops Flash? If correct, I can
easily see how my disabling javascript would falsely lead me to
think the problem is actually javascript.

I have flash 10.3.183.11 installed

I still have the offline installer for it. I can still try it on
my test fresh install.

[tangent][rant]
EGAD!!! What's the freakin' deal with online installers?!?!?!

Major security breach IMNSHO. I'm perfectly happy to download a
big installer. NOBODY needs to know what is on my hard drive,
thank you very much!
[/tangent][/rant]

Skywise

May 24, 2013, 11:32:38 PM5/24/13
Johny B Good <johnny...@invalid.ntlworld.com> wrote in

> I've got Opera 11.62 installed along with java version6 update 31
> which, afaicr, are the latest versions that still work ok with win2k
> Pro SP4. I didn't see any issues with those two web sites.

It is my understanding that Java and Javascript are two similar
but completely unrelated beasts.

If so, then my Java install should be irrelevant.

I leave Java turned off as a rule in my browser, only turning it
on for those few pages that require it for me needs.

Anyway, it appears I have Java 6 update 20.

If I do a fresh test install, I'll see how things goe WITHOUT
installing Java.

Skywise

May 24, 2013, 11:36:08 PM5/24/13
Mark Lloyd <non...@none.invalid> wrote in news:xFKnt.160094$R74.17036
@fed03.iad:

> A Windows installation (even w2k, sometimes considered the best version
> of Windows ever) will get corrupted over time. An occasional
> reinstallation is a good idea. Also, doing is on a spare drive makes it
> easy to get something you forgot.

Yes. This install is a little over 5 years old.

I do have an XP machine as well, but it's not generally allowed
outside to play (go online). My W2k system is my primary
internetting machine.

I'm just glad I do have those spare drives to play with.

Auric__

May 25, 2013, 1:23:18 AM5/25/13
Skywise wrote:

> Johny B Good <johnny...@invalid.ntlworld.com> wrote in
>
>> I've got Opera 11.62 installed along with java version6 update 31
>> which, afaicr, are the latest versions that still work ok with win2k
>> Pro SP4. I didn't see any issues with those two web sites.
>
> It is my understanding that Java and Javascript are two similar
> but completely unrelated beasts.

Correct. Java was created by Sun, JavaScript was created by Netscape. JS's
original name was LiveScript, but the name was changed to capitalize on
Java's then-rising popularity. See here:

http://www.java.com/en/download/faq/java_javascript.xml

> If so, then my Java install should be irrelevant.

Probably.

> I leave Java turned off as a rule in my browser, only turning it
> on for those few pages that require it for me needs.

Smart.

> Anyway, it appears I have Java 6 update 20.
>
> If I do a fresh test install, I'll see how things goe WITHOUT
> installing Java.

I wouldn't install Java at all unless you need it.

--
Something's getting in the way.
Something's just about to break.

texase...@gmail.com

Feb 18, 2015, 3:49:34 AM2/18/15
I am running win2k SP4 which runs slow and crashes with BAD_POOL_CALLER when I visit certain websites. It never crashes at all when running programs such as 3DSMAX and Photoshop CS2, and it runs most websites with Firefox except for selected ones. The ones that fail with BAD_POOL_CALLER always fail with that, and the websites that work, work all the time. So it is something that certain websites do that causes this error. One website that fails every time is yahoo's yellow pages, when you try to change the location:

yp.yahoo.com, click on the current location, get a small window with a blank box for typing and a clickable header in blue letters that says:
" CHANGE LOCATION ", and it gives you a slider bar with known locations that it remembers from the past before it started crasing with BAD_POOL_CALLER. If I click on the slider bar, or one of the entries, or, if I try to type in a new location in the text line, then it crashes with BAD_POOL_CALLER. I have to reboot and wait for it to scan my "C" drive. After rebooting, I have to click Firefox but before it can come up at the yellow pages website (where it just crashed), I keep clicking the "close" little box (in the upper right hand corner) to close that window before it crashes again.

The problem isn't solved by switching to a backup copy of Win2k SP4. When I built this win2k sp4 system, I immediately made a backup and if I reboot from that backup, it doesn't have any programs I installed on the primary and it in its pristine install state, but it ALSO crashes with BAD_POOL_CALLER when I go to yellow pages and try to change the location. So it must be something to do with this PC, since two different h/d's, one a pristine backup copy of the main win2k, both crash under identical circumstances.

Any experience with something as unusual as this?

Does anyone know enough to educate me as to what is at the bottom of this kind of BAD_POOL_CALLER hangup?

Johny B Good

Feb 18, 2015, 8:15:01 AM2/18/15
On Wed, 18 Feb 2015 00:49:33 -0800 (PST), texase...@gmail.com
wrote:
It sounds like a hardware problem. Before you go swapping dimms
around or out, run memtest86 _before_ touching the dimms[1]. It would
be nice to know, beforehand, that there _is_ a ram problem before
reseating modules clears the problem of a high resistance contact in a
dimm slot (the most likely cause ime).

If reseating dimm(s) fails to clear memory errors, try running with
one dimm removed at a time, assuming you have more than one dimm
fitted. You can also try a single dimm in each dimm slot in turn and
also, in the case of a modern cpu that relies on its own built in dual
channel memory controller (eg Athlon 64s and later) break up any dual
channel pairings of dimms to force single channel operation.

Don't assume that _every_ crash is the result of a software error,
hardware can cause such problems too and about half the time it can be
as simple as a bad connector contact in need of a damn good reseating.

[1] Although not essential, I prefer to be able to demonstrate that
there definitely _was_ a dimm problem to start with before swapping
dimms around willy nilly and clearing a bad dimm slot contact.

A good trick you can try is to use an indiarubber pencil erasor to
polish the dimm contacts clean. This reduces the risk of repeat bad
contact events in the near future. Also, reseat each dimm 3 or 4 times
as you repopulate each dimm slot (the same applies to PCI and PCIe
slots).

IME, I've discovered that placing dimms and cards into their slots in
a single smooth action will quite often create a 'bad contact time
bomb', especially with a brand new build.

HTH & HAND :-)
--
J B Good