Looking for NAS solution for NT4 through W7

John

Feb 2, 2013, 3:57:59 AM2/2/13
Looking for NAS software & hardware for NT4 through and including W7
(NT4, W2K, XP and W7).

This is for an office environment doing CAD/CAM on 9 work stations that
are all currently networked. Looking for nightly backup to removable
hard drives for off site security. The 'cloud' is not a viable solution.

Manually burning CDs/DVDs just takes up too much time and is regularly
neglected so an automatic unattended solution makes sense here.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
John

Johny B Good

Feb 2, 2013, 8:57:16 AM2/2/13
FreeNAS and NAS4Free would be well worth taking a look at.

--
Regards, J B Good

John

Feb 2, 2013, 5:20:09 PM2/2/13
Thank you but Linux would be frowned on at my office.

John

Johny B Good

Feb 2, 2013, 7:47:52 PM2/2/13
I suppose you mean that it has to be a proprietry commercial solution
with vendor support rather than a free one (FreeNAS and NAS4Free
aren't based on Linux).

All I can usefully suggest in that case, is that you google for
enterprise level NAS kit and compare what's out there. There's plenty
to choose from if your budget extends to a few thousand quid rather
than a few hundred for a DiY solution.

Roberto Waltman

Mar 3, 2013, 9:13:48 AM3/3/13
John wrote:
> Johny B Good wrote:
>> FreeNAS and NAS4Free would be well worth taking a look at.
>Thank you but Linux would be frowned on at my office.

I second the recommendation for FreeNAS. (Based on FreeBSD, not
Linux.)
It may be worth trying it under the frowner's noses.
The installation and web-browser interface expose only the NAS
functionality, not a general purpose OS.
You can configure it to boot from a USB stick, so it can be tried and
removed with very little effort.
(If you decide to try it, I recommend you learn something about the
ZFS file system before the install)
--
Roberto Waltman

[ Please reply to the group,