What is with the endless windows cascade?

Kenn Caesius

Oct 28, 2012, 2:32:55 PM10/28/12
My problem does not pertain to windows 2000 but it does involve the
Internet explorer 6. Occasionally, when I attempt to close websites
that take too long to load or suddenly run up CPU resources, new
windows suddenly appear endlessly unless I close process in the task
manager.

Can someone explain what is going on? Is this some effect of some
websites being incompatible with IE6? It is something more malicious
like malware infection?

---End of message---

Auric__

Oct 28, 2012, 3:28:23 PM10/28/12
Could be. IE6 is notoriously friendly to malware (which includes a wide
variety of software, and not just virii).

Could also be a site that does something along the lines of 'onclose:popup
(...)' in javascript.

--
Logic can move just as blindly as any other faculty.

Happy Oyster

Oct 28, 2012, 9:17:03 PM10/28/12
I am not familiar with that doggone browser, but my guess is that in the
web-pages there might be some insane "web-designer's" crap driving the
browser mad.

Many web-pages are insanely made.
--

http://www.twitter.com/aribertdeckers http://www.Journalist.is
http://www.kindersprechstunde.at http://www.pharmamafia.com

Skywise

Oct 29, 2012, 1:59:44 AM10/29/12
"Auric__" <not.m...@email.address> wrote in

> Could also be a site that does something along the lines of 'onclose:popup
> (...)' in javascript.

I have had the same experience in Firefox. My solution, if I can
get to settings, is to disable javascript so I can close that tab.

If not, I just kill the browser in taskmanager. Firefox is smart
and remembers all the tabs that were open when I restart. I do
that disconnected from the network so that it doesn't reopen the
offending website.

I've also used this solution for websites that popup "Are you
sure you wish to navigate away from this page?" or other popups.
NEVER EVER click on anything. Just because the button says "cancel"
doesn't mean that's what it really does. You can program a button
to say anything, and then do anything, and they don't have to
be the same 'anything'.

When browsing the web, paranoia is your friend. :)

Brian
Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?

Kenn Caesius

Oct 29, 2012, 2:47:48 PM10/29/12
You know, the mention of popups reminded me that I left out one
variable - I have the Google toolbar installed and its popup blocker
active. Could that have some side effect on websites that detect when I
close a window?

---End of message---

Happy Oyster

Oct 29, 2012, 5:43:10 PM10/29/12
I don't know. The espionage by web-sites is intense, and to a large
extent invisible - committed per direct communication between server and
browser. I have no tools for intercepting the communication.

Installation of a proxy (look for "proxomitron" or others) might help,
but my way of dealing with that is to work from inside secure virtual
machines.

Auric__

Oct 29, 2012, 11:41:30 PM10/29/12
Skywise wrote:

> When browsing the web, paranoia is your friend. :)

Amen to that.

--
Some positions just make me look crazy.