When did I install my copy of Windows 2000 Pro. ?

Kenn Caesius

Dec 9, 2012, 12:28:59 PM12/9/12
Is there any way to figure out when I installed my copy of windows 2000?

I figure there might be one file somewhere that was created the day I
installed it (back in 2003) that escaped all the updates applied since
then but how do I even begin to search for it?

---End of message---

Java Jive

Dec 9, 2012, 12:39:07 PM12/9/12
Right-click the Windows/WinNT directory and see when it was created.

Kenn Caesius

Dec 9, 2012, 2:41:13 PM12/9/12
Thank you Java Jive for the hint by this process I was able I confirm
that I installed windows 2000 on this hard drive on June 28, 2003. Wow,
almost ten years with the same operating system on the same computer!

---End of message---

Happy Oyster

Dec 9, 2012, 12:26:21 PM12/9/12

Auric__

Dec 10, 2012, 4:35:24 AM12/10/12
Happy Oyster wrote:

> On Sun, 9 Dec 2012 11:41:13 -0800, "Kenn Caesius"
> <xilotea...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>Thank you Java Jive for the hint by this process I was able I confirm
>>that I installed windows 2000 on this hard drive on June 28, 2003. Wow,
>>almost ten years with the same operating system on the same computer!
>
> So you are no heavy user. Windows does not survive a few months under
> normal workload.

Depends on what you do with it. I previously had a 2000 install that lasted
well over a year; my current XP install hits 1 year tomorrow. I use this
computer a *lot* every day that I don't work (and since I've only worked a
single shift in the past 4 weeks, that's quite a bit). I've installed tons of
crap, uninstalled tons of crap, changed the hardware (today, as it happens,
and not for the first time), messed around with various system settings, used
it as multiple types of server (http, ftp, & lan file server), and done
various things to it that the typical home user generally doesn't do. I use
it for business purposes (*especially* on days that I work, of course). I
game a bit. I do most of my programming here, and run my tests here.
Graphical editing... videos... you get the idea.

That's not to say that it's been *running* that entire year, but assuming you
don't install programs that thrash the system or in general behave bad,
there's no reason why a Windows install *can't* last a decade or more.

(Of course, my old Linux server hit a year of uptime at one point...
different circumstances, different uses, and (lucky for me) no power
outages.)

--
It's not wrong; there are just laws against it.

Andrew Rossmann

Dec 10, 2012, 6:14:47 PM12/10/12
In article <mci9c81o2llol27m2...@4ax.com>, -*-*.@.*-*-
says...

> On Sun, 9 Dec 2012 11:41:13 -0800, "Kenn Caesius"
> <xilotea...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >Thank you Java Jive for the hint by this process I was able I confirm
> >that I installed windows 2000 on this hard drive on June 28, 2003. Wow,
> >almost ten years with the same operating system on the same computer!
>
> So you are no heavy user. Windows does not survive a few months under
> normal workload.

Pure BS. My old work computer is Win2K. It's still going strong after 10
years. My old home was also Win2K. I pull it out of the closet once in
awhile, and it still works.

law!!
http://home.comcast.net/~andyross

Auric__

Dec 11, 2012, 8:20:10 AM12/11/12
Andrew Rossmann wrote:

> My old home was also Win2K. I pull it out of the closet once in
> awhile, and it still works.

You keep your computer in the closet? And let it out when it's been good? ;-)

--
*bottles up rage*

Java Jive

Dec 14, 2012, 4:05:47 PM12/14/12
I've had the same build of Windows for eight years. Originally
installed as W2k on a PII in September 2004, it's been ported from
that to a PIII, to two P4s, now to a laptop, and since the latter
upgraded to XP. And here it is, working fine as XP on this laptop as
I post this.

Puddin' Man

Dec 25, 2012, 1:49:28 PM12/25/12
On Fri, 14 Dec 2012 21:05:47 +0000, Java Jive <ja...@evij.com.invalid> wrote:

>I've had the same build of Windows for eight years. Originally
>installed as W2k on a PII in September 2004, it's been ported from
>that to a PIII, to two P4s, ...

Very similar for my 2k build, stretching from about '01 to 2010,
on myriad desktop systems.

I'd be running it now but I decided to build one with new and
modern cpu/motherboard in '10. By that time, Intel (i.e. Nahelem)
had buggered 2k support (USB, etc) hopelessly (sigh).

Frank

Feb 7, 2013, 10:34:33 AM2/7/13
Andrew Rossmann wrote:
> In article<mci9c81o2llol27m2...@4ax.com>, -*-*.@.*-*-
> says...
>>
>> On Sun, 9 Dec 2012 11:41:13 -0800, "Kenn Caesius"
>> <xilotea...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Thank you Java Jive for the hint by this process I was able I confirm
>>> that I installed windows 2000 on this hard drive on June 28, 2003. Wow,
>>> almost ten years with the same operating system on the same computer!
>>
>> So you are no heavy user. Windows does not survive a few months under
>> normal workload.
>
> Pure BS. My old work computer is Win2K. It's still going strong after 10
> years. My old home was also Win2K. I pull it out of the closet once in
> awhile, and it still works.

Agreed. I've been using Win2k SP4 since 2004. I find it very reliable,
watch loads of stored films on my drive, and hardly had a problem with
it. The only thing I have noticed is that quite a few websites won't
work with it now, but the important ones that I use frequently, eg for
banking, medical, Amazon, BBC iPlayer etc never present a problem.