How can I compare and synchronize the contents of two directories?

Kenn Caesius

Jun 25, 2013, 6:06:03 PM6/25/13
I have large (1,500+) collection of *.mp3 files on my desktop computer that
I would that copied over to a flash drive but since the initial "cut and
copy" job, I know that I deleted, renamed, and changed tags of *.mp3 files
on my desktop computer.

How can I compare the contents of directories of two distinct drives and
ensure exact contents without having to "cut to copy" again?

---end of message---

Steven Saunderson

Jun 26, 2013, 4:22:05 AM6/26/13
On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 15:06:03 -0700, "Kenn Caesius"
<xilotea...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> How can I compare the contents of directories of two distinct drives and
> ensure exact contents without having to "cut to copy" again?

I have a console-mode program called Save32.exe that copies files if the
conditions are satisfied. Conditions include target file not present,
older, newer, or data mismatch. The mismatch option requires full file
compares so the process is slower.

I wrote this years ago for backing up disk drives. If you run it in a
reverse mode it can be used to delete backup files when the original not
longer exists.

The program is at <http://phelum.net/files/Save32.zip>. The zip has the
exe and the source. If you want some documentation please ask and I'll
write some.
--
Steven

Mark F

Jun 26, 2013, 4:40:50 PM6/26/13
On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 15:06:03 -0700, "Kenn Caesius"
<xilotea...@yahoo.com> wrote:

I have suggestions for comparing the contents of files and finding
duplicates, but I don't know how to handle the files where you
changed the tags.

I use Super Flexible File Synchronizer (SFFS). I don't think it is
available any more. The updated program is Syncovery for Windows, at:
http://www.syncovery.com/download/windows/

I haven't looked to see if Syncovery is a superset of SFFS, but
even if Syncovery is not a superset it should be able to compare
two trees and pause with an editable list of different files. When
it pauses you can select other options for the merge operation rather
than just using the newer version. You can take that opportunity
to rename files perhaps get multiple versions of the same file
in the same directory.

SFFS can somewhat handle moved and renamed files, but it doesn't
catch all of the moves.

I use "Find Duplicate Files" in FolderMatch from www.foldermatch.com
to find all sets of renamed and moved files that match.

Google shows various mp3 tag editors various articles about tag
editors:
random article from 2009:
http://lifehacker.com/5266613/six-best-mp3-tagging-tools

I didn't look for any more tag editors since I don't have the time
to evaluate them; I only included mention of tag editors in this
post to show some of the issues that need to be handled.

random editor:
http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

The first entry in the Life Hacker article was for TuneUp, which seems
to now be at:
http://www.tuneupmedia.com/features/clean

Clicking on "DEDUPER" goes to:
http://www.tuneupmedia.com/features/deduper
which says
"Using the same acoustic fingerprinting technology that powers other
parts of TuneUp, DeDuper will hunt down all of the duplicate tracks
in your music collection and display them for you in one
easy-to-manage list."
It seems like this can be used to handle the cases where you only
changed the tags.

I don't know what to do for files were you edited the tags and the
music.

Tuneup is about US$50 which is fine, but only
"can be moved to different 5 times"
so I wouldn't use it if there were choices.

> ---end of message---

Java Jive

Jun 26, 2013, 10:10:26 PM6/26/13
The Windows 2000 Resource Kit is in the Support\Tools directory of the
original Windows 2000 Installation CD. The Resource Kit contains a
program called WinDiff. Although it's a little clunky and mostly
designed for comparing text files, it can be used to compare whole
directories, and at least show you which binary files are different.

You can also download WinDiff from the MS site, but the problem is
finding out where on the site.

If you look on your original Windows 2000 installation media