Window update

fpefpe

Jul 7, 2012, 2:58:41 PM7/7/12
Hello -- I have a few win2k systems running as virtual machines -- I just tried to do a windows update ao failed

Does anyone know if Microsoft pulled access to windows update?

Bruce Morgen

Jul 7, 2012, 3:45:21 PM7/7/12
fpefpe <fpesp...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hello -- I have a few win2k systems running as virtual machines -- I just tried to do a windows update ao failed
>
>Does anyone know if Microsoft pulled access to windows update?

There are no new Windows updates
for Win2K -- that's one of the
reasons I finally bolted and
sidegraded (didn't feel like it
was much of an upgrade, very few
improvements of note) to WinXP.

Andrew Rossmann

Jul 8, 2012, 8:46:48 AM7/8/12
In article <1c0a7de9-9395-4ad3...@googlegroups.com>,
fpesp...@gmail.com says...

> Hello -- I have a few win2k systems running as virtual machines -- I just tried to do a windows update ao failed
>
> Does anyone know if Microsoft pulled access to windows update?

There have been no updates for Windows 2000 itself for nearly 2 years.
There may still be updates for Office and similar that should still
work. I ran Update on an old computer a few weeks ago, and it did run
and found some Outlook 2003 updates.

law!!
http://home.comcast.net/~andyross

Java Jive

Jul 8, 2012, 9:05:37 AM7/8/12
TBC, I think there have been no *NEW* updates for Windows 2000 since
sometime in 2010, except those that also apply to current versions of
Windows, in effect usually XP. However, when I was playing around
with a new installation of W2k in January of this year, it updated
itself in the usual way. Whether this is still true and how long it
will continue to be so, I have no idea.

On Sun, 8 Jul 2012 07:46:48 -0500, Andrew Rossmann
<andysnewsreply@no_junk.comcast.net> wrote:

> There have been no updates for Windows 2000 itself for nearly 2 years.

Mark Lloyd

Jul 8, 2012, 4:51:56 PM7/8/12
XP seems to be a little better with a high-speed internet connection.
Otherwise, I'd rather use 2000.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"Martyrdom is the only way in which a person with no ability can become
great." [George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)]

Bruce Morgen

Jul 8, 2012, 6:33:59 PM7/8/12
Mark Lloyd <non...@none.invalid> wrote:

>On 07/07/2012 02:45 PM, Bruce Morgen wrote:
>> fpefpe <fpesp...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello -- I have a few win2k systems running as virtual machines -- I just tried to do a windows update ao failed
>>>
>>> Does anyone know if Microsoft pulled access to windows update?
>>
>> There are no new Windows updates
>> for Win2K -- that's one of the
>> reasons I finally bolted and
>> sidegraded (didn't feel like it
>> was much of an upgrade, very few
>> improvements of note) to WinXP.
>>

>XP seems to be a little better with a high-speed internet
>connection. Otherwise, I'd rather use 2000.

Yeah, I held out for a long
time myself, but too much
software (Skype, Firefox,
Flash) is leaving Win2K
behind there days, and with
a little tweaking XP seems
stable enough, even though
I used the dreaded upgrade
option rather than doing a
clean XP install.

Loony

Aug 2, 2012, 4:34:00 PM8/2/12
On 08/07/2012 14:05, Java Jive wrote:
> TBC, I think there have been no *NEW* updates for Windows 2000 since
> sometime in 2010, except those that also apply to current versions of
> Windows, in effect usually XP. However, when I was playing around
> with a new installation of W2k in January of this year, it updated
> itself in the usual way. Whether this is still true and how long it
> will continue to be so, I have no idea.
>
> On Sun, 8 Jul 2012 07:46:48 -0500, Andrew Rossmann
> <andysnewsreply@no_junk.comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>> There have been no updates for Windows 2000 itself for nearly 2 years.

Are there any good progs available that can protect the Win2K. I would
like to return to 2K if there is protection.

Skywise

Aug 2, 2012, 8:53:21 PM8/2/12
Loony <Lo...@nowhere.con> wrote in news:a806gb...@mid.individual.net:

> Are there any good progs available that can protect the Win2K. I would
> like to return to 2K if there is protection.

Start by disabling unecessary and dangerous services. Googling
"turn off unnecessary services in windows 2000" will get you
started. #1 - disable windows messenger service if nothing else.

And practice safe hex.

Securing Win2k is only part of the solution. It's also about what
you expose it to through your online habits.

IMNSHO, most of the infected computers I've seen or heard about,
the user did something stupid.

Ditch IE at all costs.
Don't install widgets and add-ons to your browser.
Don't open attachments - even from friends (unless vetted).
Don't install anything except from vetted original sources.
I even go so far as to turn off HTML in my email program.
I also turn off JAVA unless it is required and I need it.
Never use the same password more than once.
Don't use a "master password" to store all your other passwords.
Use real passwords, "password123" don't cut it.

Firewalls and virus scanners are useful, but they are NOT
foolproof. Know their limitations and learn to configure them
properly. What I use is very limited and not "the best", but
it works. I have yet to be infected.

Brian
Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?

Loony

Aug 3, 2012, 4:40:15 AM8/3/12
Thank you Brian.

Unfortunately I don't have the time to do this now but it will be
a pleasure to me when I get to it.

Markus Liewer

Aug 10, 2012, 11:02:25 AM8/10/12
"Loony" <Lo...@nowhere.con> wrote:

> Are there any good progs available that can protect the Win2K. I would
> like to return to 2K if there is protection.

search for blackwingcat. unfortunately only in japanese but very very
good.