Internet security for Win2000

1 view

scbs29

Jan 5, 2017, 8:17:02 AM1/5/17
Hello all
Can anyone advise me of free internet security for Win2000? I wish to
put Win2000 Pro on a laptop which really struggles to run XP, and want
security for it. All of that I have found so far will not install due
to its being 64-bit, possibly due to trying to install into a Win2000
Virtualbox virtual machine running on a 64-bit Win 7 host (?)
TIA

--
remove fred before emailing

Andrew Rossmann

Jan 5, 2017, 9:45:50 AM1/5/17
In article <lghs6c5cu2uqroafs...@4ax.com>, scbs29
@fred.talktalk.net says...
If the Win2K is 32-bit, then anything installed into it will only see it
as 32-bit, even if it's a VM running on a 64-bit host.

Most newer software will not work with Win2K. XP added some functions to
the Windows kernel and most programs built with recent compilers require
that to work. You might be able to find older versions of some programs
to add a firewall. Not sure if there is much, if any, virus scanner
software left. If the laptop can barely run XP, Win2K won't be much
better.

law!!
http://home.comcast.net/~andyross

Java Jive

Jan 5, 2017, 10:59:19 AM1/5/17
On Thu, 5 Jan 2017 08:45:49 -0600, Andrew Rossmann
<andysnewsreply@no_junk.comcast.net> wrote:

> Most newer software will not work with Win2K. XP added some functions to
> the Windows kernel and most programs built with recent compilers require
> that to work. You might be able to find older versions of some programs
> to add a firewall. Not sure if there is much, if any, virus scanner
> software left.

ClamAV still installs and runs on W2k.

> If the laptop can barely run XP, Win2K won't be much
> better.

It may be a little better, but yes, both share the same major version
number, so it won't be that much better.

Auric__

Jan 5, 2017, 2:29:21 PM1/5/17
Andrew Rossmann wrote:

> In article <lghs6c5cu2uqroafs...@4ax.com>, scbs29
> @fred.talktalk.net says...
>>
>> Hello all
>> Can anyone advise me of free internet security for Win2000? I wish to
>> put Win2000 Pro on a laptop which really struggles to run XP, and want
>> security for it. All of that I have found so far will not install due
>> to its being 64-bit, possibly due to trying to install into a Win2000
>> Virtualbox virtual machine running on a 64-bit Win 7 host (?)
>> TIA
>
> If the Win2K is 32-bit, then anything installed into it will only see it
> as 32-bit, even if it's a VM running on a 64-bit host.

It's not "if". Windows 2000 was only written for 32-bit x86 systems; it's the
only version of NT written for a single processor type.

> Most newer software will not work with Win2K. XP added some functions to
> the Windows kernel and most programs built with recent compilers require
> that to work. You might be able to find older versions of some programs
> to add a firewall. Not sure if there is much, if any, virus scanner
> software left. If the laptop can barely run XP, Win2K won't be much
> better.

In my experience, 2000 is rather faster on systems that drag under XP (not
that I own any such systems any more). You can compare the minimum hardware
requirements to see some of the reasons. (XP requires double the RAM that
2000 does for their respective "minimum requirements", and almost double the
processor speed, 233 MHz vs 133 MHz. "Recommnded requirements" are
essentially identical, though.)

A few minutes spent on Google makes it look like ClamAV/ClamWin might be the
only choice that still updates. (I have older versions of several scanners
that will probably install on 2000, but I don't know if they can use modern
AV databases from their respective vendors.)

--
I never stabbed anything that didn't stop being an immediate problem.