Outlook Express password problem

Cheryl

Jan 24, 2003, 1:04:01 PM1/24/03
I have a problem with it: Every time I click on it, it always asks me for
my password. I have done all the necessary stuff. i.e. tools, accounts, and
soforth. I checked the box remember password, and then got out and still
every time I get into O'Exp it continues to ask for my password.. It never
used to do this. Thanks for your help.

Gazwad

Jan 24, 2003, 2:50:24 PM1/24/03
Cheryl <sch...@bellsouth.net> asked wistfully...

stuff off the net.

Having problems with Outlook Express ? Does it ask for password everytime
you connect:
By Raymond

If this is problem for you. Sometimes no matter what you do, Outlook Express
forgets your password and asks you to enter it again each and every time you
connect to your mail server.I have a solution that may work for you. Open
Registry by going to START-RUN and entering REGEDIT and Navigate to
HKEY_CURRRENT USER\Software\Microsoft and look for "Protected Storage System
Provider". There is a good chance that you will see this folder. If you have
it. Simply delete it. More than likely, you have solved your problem.

Problem: A Windows XP Pro laptop was forgetting its POP3 password in Outlook
Express 6 from time to time. At this point, not even checking the "Remember
Password" checkbox in the email account settings would help. As soon as you
opened up OE again, it would ask for the password - and on this dialog box,
the "Remember Password" checkbox would be greyed out.

Solution: Dr. Ben made this work, but clawless readers are advised to use
"reasonable care" before fiddling with the Windows Registry. Translating
Microsoft-speak, "reasonable care" means "back up your registry before
embarking on the fix."

The steps to follow:

[1] Start the Registry Editor
[2] Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Protected Storage System
Provider\
[3] Right-click the Protected Storage System Provider key, and from the menu
choose Permissions
[4] HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Protected Storage System Provider
[5] On the File menu, click Export.
[6] In the File name box, type a unique name for the key.
[7] In the Save In box, click a location for the file, and then click Save.
[8] On the Registry menu, click Exit.
[9] Reboot XP
[10] Click Start, click Run, type regedit32 in the Open box, and then click
OK.
[11] Locate and click the following registry key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Protected Storage System Provider
[12] On the Edit menu, click Permissions.
[13] Click the registry key for the user that is currently logged on and
ensure that Read and Full Control permissions are both set to Allow.
[14] Click the Advanced button, ensure that the user that is currently
logged on is selected, that Full Control is listed in the Permissions
column, and that This Key and Subkeys is listed in the Apply to column.
[15]Click to select the Replace permission entries on all child objects with
entries shown here that apply to child objects check box.
[16] Click Apply, and then click Yes when you receive a prompt to continue.
[17] Click OK, and then click OK again.
[18] Double-click the Protected Storage System Provider key to expand the
key, click the user subkey folder that is directly below the Protected
Storage System Provider key, click Delete on the Edit menu, and then click
Yes in the warning message dialog box.

Comments if you skipped or failed your Microsoft XP certification
examination.

[a] The user subkey folder looks something like this:
S-1-5-21-124525095-708259637-1543119021-16701
[b] For every identity that you have, there may be a subkey under the
Protected Storage System Provider key. This means that you must delete all
of the user subkeys folders under the Protected Storage System Provider key.
[c] Restarts are required whenever you delete these subkeys.

Now you are back to a situation where Outlook Express does not know your
user name or password and will (if you are a careful Registry hacker).

To put your user name and password into Outlook Express, follow these steps:

[1] Start Outlook Express. You may receive a log in error.b(Don't ask.)
Close the dialog box and proceed.
[2] Click Tools
[3] Click Accounts.
[4] Click the Mail tab in the Internet Accounts window.
[5] In the Account column, click to highlight the Internet E-mail account to
be changed
[6] Click Properties.
[7] Move your cursor to the Server tab
[8] Type your password in the Password box
[9] Click to select Remember password dialog box.
[10] Click OK
[11] Click Close. (If you want to make sure that your mail is left on the
server, click the Advanced tab and make sure the setting for handling mail
on the server is set the way you want.)
[12] Close Outlook Express
[13] Restart it.

When XP comes up, launch Outlook Express and click Send and Receive to test
if your password was saved.

If you can't get this to work, check out Microsoft Knowledge Base article
Q264672.
User friendliness is the hallmark of XP.

--
Gazwad

Freelance scientist and people tester.
Guardian: alt.os.windows-xp