ntldr is missing, please help

BG

Mar 15, 2002, 8:45:07 AM3/15/02
I purchased a new DELL with windows xp, pro (NTFS) OS in Jan. this year.

After 6 weeks, I received the following message:
NTLDR is missing. press ctrl+alt+del to restart.

nothing worked so we had to debug, reformat the hard disk and reinstall and
update win.xp,pro

now the same message appeared again.
i do not want to go through the same process again. even though there are
not many programs in my computer.

Anyone here knows exactly what the problem is?
Hardware or software? and how to solve the problem?

the drive is 40gb, ide(ata-100)#1,1inch,7.2rpm with no partition

your help is greatly appreciated.

Nick

Mar 15, 2002, 9:20:52 AM3/15/02
Yeah, just go into the BIOS and redetect the HDD.
By the way, please tell me if this works or not.
TIA

Nick

"BG" <bg...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

Harry O

Mar 15, 2002, 10:12:42 AM3/15/02
"BG" <bg...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

All formatted Hard Drives must have at least one partition. It might
encompass the entire drive but you do have to have it partitioned in order
to format and install Windows. What are you using to determine that your
drive has no partitions?

If your drive appears to have no partition on it on something is happening
to mess up the partition table or you may even have a faulty Hard Drive. You
report that this has happened twice for no apparent reason. I suggest that
you get the drive checked as it is still under warranty. Contact Dell to see
what they say.

As for the message about NTLDR missing it could be due to a corrupt file
which can be restored off the XP CD providing that the drive is partitioned
and formatted and the only thing wrong is a corrupt file or two. Take this
link for some info on using the Recovery Console to repair corrupt or
missing NTLDR http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm

Harry Ohrn
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/

Nick Le Lievre

Mar 15, 2002, 11:50:58 AM3/15/02
Geez I bet thats f**king annoying.

Just checked systeminfo - I`ve been running the same install of Windows XP
since 03/11/01 and never had the NTLDR message.

I have seen that error plenty of times before on NT4.0 PC`s that have not
had any maintenance for a long time but never on a fresh build.

I suspect your hard drive is about to die.

Sue DELL for all the pain.

Bob Cerelli

Mar 15, 2002, 12:04:46 PM3/15/02
Double check that the file is on the root of your C: drive. It is a hidden
file and should be around 222K in size(at least that is what mine shows).

Bob Cerelli
http://www.onecomputerguy.com

Will Denny

Mar 15, 2002, 12:19:36 PM3/15/02
Hi

I'm not sure what access you have to XP at the moment, but the following link may help you. Have a look for 'Fixboot' and Fixmbr' under' Command Actions.

"HOW TO: Install and Use the Recovery Console in Windows XP"
http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q307654

Will

"BG" <bg...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:9Mmk8.63777$Yd.39...@e3500-atl1.usenetserver.com...

---

Will Denny

Mar 15, 2002, 12:24:42 PM3/15/02
Sorry - didn't complete my last posting - the error message you are seeing 'can' be associated with either a damaged Boot Sector or MBR.

Will

Geezer

Mar 15, 2002, 6:41:25 PM3/15/02
In article <9Mmk8.63777$Yd.39...@e3500-atl1.usenetserver.com>, bg770
@bellsouth.net says...

use the recovery console and check to see if your boot.ini file is
present and intact.

Greg

Titanium Wolf

Mar 15, 2002, 9:22:54 PM3/15/02
Since this sounds like a brand new computer, I would suggest that you call
dell and let your warrantee handle the problem. You paid for that warrantee,
so put it to use.

T.W.

JohnR

Mar 15, 2002, 9:36:34 PM3/15/02

"Titanium Wolf" <neo...@comcast.net> wrote in message

| Since this sounds like a brand new computer, I would suggest that you call
| dell and let your warrantee handle the problem. You paid for that
warrantee,
| so put it to use.
|
| T.W.

Tell Dell. As suggested. Funny Dell comes up so much in the ng's, huh?
Gateway, whom I am not sleeping with, has proven excellent in XP. Six so far
and all drivers installed. No problems.

Kadaitcha Man

Mar 15, 2002, 10:06:45 PM3/15/02
JohnR <abrax...@yahoodehoo.com> wrote in message

> Gateway, whom I am not sleeping with, has proven excellent in XP.

Tell us that again.

--
Kadaitcha Man
Moderator: alt.os.windows-xp

JohnR

Mar 15, 2002, 10:16:30 PM3/15/02

"Kadaitcha Man" <fo...@hahahahaha.com> wrote in message

Ok. I give up. What the fuck does this question mean?

Kadaitcha Man

Mar 15, 2002, 10:29:07 PM3/15/02

> "Kadaitcha Man" <fo...@hahahahaha.com> wrote in message
> | JohnR <abrax...@yahoodehoo.com> wrote in message
> |
> | > Gateway, whom I am not sleeping with, has proven excellent in XP.
> |
> | Tell us that again.

> Ok. I give up. What the fuck does this question mean?

I wanted to see if you protested too much.

JohnR

Mar 15, 2002, 10:56:56 PM3/15/02

"Kadaitcha Man" <fo...@hahahahaha.com> wrote in message

Test, test. What the hell is a troll, anyway? A mean and angry gnome? I
see the term "troll" a lot. Some have even given me the accolade of "troll".
Do I need more training? Are there schools, or just apprenticeships?
I am at your feet, in the dust.

Kadaitcha Man

Mar 15, 2002, 11:47:24 PM3/15/02
JohnR <abrax...@yahoodehoo.com> wrote in message

Trolls troll, as in trolling for fish...
http://www.basspro-shops.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=1735

Some trolls make a provocative post then withraw to watch the mayhem. Some
trolls are just really annoying fucks who pester you day in, day out. Some
trolls go to newsgroups like alt.24HourSupport and turn it into a troll
group by crossposting all over the place. Still others go in for EMP's and
binary floods.

Me? I take the head-on approach and attack people's sensibilities... I
particulary like trolling atheists and gun lovers. Atheist gun-lovers are
the icing on the cake. This sums it up... Of course, I know that you are an
atheist gun-lover... but I like you... or maybe I'm keeping you for later
;-)

David Andrew Clayton <dac...@ozemail.com.au>
wrote about Kadaitcha Man in message
> You're a wholly evil fucker. You take the 'I am a bastard' stance, and
> extrapolate it out to 'I am an absolute uncaring bastard with the time
> and means to make almost anyone suffer.'
>
> Whereas other people have some faint nascent ideal about 'lines that
> should not be crossed', you barge through taboo, and straight through
> 'unthinking prejudice', right into "knock 'em down and then fuck them
> over."

JohnR

Mar 15, 2002, 11:57:14 PM3/15/02

"Kadaitcha Man" <fo...@hahahahaha.com> wrote in message

You are very perceptive. I plan to use my atheism for posts elsewhere.
Prejudice is just that, "pre-judging", without the benefit, or in some
cases, the intrusion, of facts.
I am always the "devil's advocate", even if I agree with my adversary. It
strengthens their thinking, and my own.
On the other hand, I think children should be guarded from harm. The elite
are 1%. The children are the rest.

Kadaitcha Man

Mar 16, 2002, 12:41:07 AM3/16/02

> You are very perceptive. I plan to use my atheism for posts elsewhere.
> Prejudice is just that, "pre-judging", without the benefit, or in some
> cases, the intrusion, of facts.
> I am always the "devil's advocate", even if I agree with my adversary.
It
> strengthens their thinking, and my own.
> On the other hand, I think children should be guarded from harm. The
elite
> are 1%. The children are the rest.

Post a message into alt.atheism with the subject header, "Kadaitcha Man is
my friend!"

See what happens. Mind you, I take fundamentalist FRZ's apart for fun, too.

JohnR

Mar 16, 2002, 12:45:30 AM3/16/02

"Kadaitcha Man" <fo...@hahahahaha.com> wrote in message

Great! I don't dislike faith----I just hate people who follow ideas
blindly. They seem to hurt so easily when any challenge presents itself. I
made a proselytizing Jesus-freak cry once. I didn't mean to. I just asked
logical questions.

The Sentinel

Mar 16, 2002, 1:28:46 AM3/16/02
Yeah! You don't read about many Gateway problems here. Either they're damn
good or they aren't selling!

JohnR

Mar 16, 2002, 1:57:09 AM3/16/02
One or the other, I suppose. Can you indicate which?

"The Sentinel" <rurbanRE...@frontiernet.net> wrote in message

Kadaitcha Man

Mar 16, 2002, 3:29:39 AM3/16/02
BG <bg...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> I purchased a new DELL with windows xp, pro (NTFS) OS in Jan. this year.
>
> After 6 weeks, I received the following message:
> NTLDR is missing. press ctrl+alt+del to restart.
>
> nothing worked so we had to debug, reformat the hard disk and reinstall
and
> update win.xp,pro
>
> now the same message appeared again.

This normally only happens if w95, w98, or winMe is installed on a
large-capacity drive that is formatted FAT32.

It's possible that the disk values in your BIOS do not match the physical
geometry of the hd, so you should try to auto-detect your hd again.

You will have to boot to the XP recovery console and use fixboot to rewrite
the XP boot loader.

HOW TO: Install and Use the Recovery Console in Windows XP (Q307654)
http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q307654

Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console (Q314058)
http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q314058

If fixboot doesn't work, run fixmbr, but read the article above, first.

melvindean

Mar 16, 2002, 4:12:17 AM3/16/02
when this happens you do need to reload the ox or shold i say xp

Christopher J. Stephens

Mar 16, 2002, 5:12:55 AM3/16/02
Well, Gateway are definitely NOT selling in Australia anymore. Closed
down all operations and went out of business. I had a notebook on order but
lucky no cash had been paid.

"JohnR" <abrax...@yahoodehoo.com> wrote in message

Richard

Mar 16, 2002, 10:33:54 AM3/16/02
On Fri, 15 Mar 2002 23:57:14 -0500, "JohnR"
<abrax...@yahoodehoo.com> wrote:

> I am always the "devil's advocate"

That sounds like a strange thing for an athiest to be, when by
definition you don't believe in any divinity, but you're advocating
one?

Huh?

Richard

bc_acadia

Mar 16, 2002, 12:53:04 PM3/16/02
> They seem to hurt so easily when any challenge presents itself. I
> made a proselytizing Jesus-freak cry once. I didn't mean to. I just asked
> logical questions.

The extremely religious of ALL faiths cannot cope with logical
questions. Take care.

Please reply in this forum, above email address is no longer valid.

Phil Rose

Mar 16, 2002, 2:53:19 PM3/16/02
"JohnR" <abrax...@yahoodehoo.com> wrote in message news:<v%Ak8.4185$To6.1...@e420r-atl1.usenetserver.com>...
You didn't mean to? Shame. Could you repeat that as a scientific
experiment? I'd like to see a crying Jesus Freak. The only good Jesus
Freak is a crying Jesus Freak.

filtersweep

Mar 16, 2002, 4:38:02 PM3/16/02
Back to the original post- It IS an OS issue... a well documented one
at that that falls into the hive error category (data corruption that
won't stop until you patch it)... likely the latest MS patch will
clear it all up. A recovery install should fix all this- but do you
Dell customers even receive an OS CD with the recovery features, or do
you need to wipe out your HD and start over?

The thing is DELL needs to support the OS- and I bet they BLEED money
supporting XP for Microsoft.... no wonder they only pay MS about $40
per install.

Big Galloot

Mar 16, 2002, 6:32:04 PM3/16/02
I'm an atheist gun-lover!

I thought EVERYONE loved us... except for Rosie O'donell.

Kadaitcha Man

Mar 16, 2002, 6:43:27 PM3/16/02
Big Galloot <BigGall...@excite.com> wrote in message

> I'm an atheist gun-lover!
>
> I thought EVERYONE loved us... except for Rosie O'donell.

Yeah, well, good for you. If I could be arsed, I'd give you a run for your
world-view.

BTW, as an atheist, this is God's purpose for you, you unbelieving
infidel... this is what atheism gets you... this is all you are destined
for... The exact same fate as a putrid fish head left out in the hot sun...

H N-CH -CH -CH -CH -CH -C-OH -> H N-CH -CH -CH -CH -CH -NH + CO
2 2 2 2 2 | 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2
NH
2
H N-CH -CH -CH CH-C-OH -> H N-CH -CH -CH -CH --NH + CO
2 2 2 2 | 2 2 2 2 2 2 2
NH
2

A putrefaction and decomposition into a breath-takingly fetid, stinking,
rotten glob of toxic biogenic amines of cadaverine and putrescine.

Not much different to what you are now, eh?

John T

Mar 17, 2002, 1:55:34 AM3/17/02
ROFL

"Kadaitcha Man" <fo...@hahahahaha.com> wrote in message

---

Joshua C

Mar 17, 2002, 3:26:01 PM3/17/02
LOL y'd ya format? Just take out the floppy in the floppy drive.

Will Denny

Mar 17, 2002, 4:16:17 PM3/17/02
It makes me shudder - why do 'non enttities' try to answer Qs when they have no knowledge at all - try playing Nickelback or Nirvana - you would probably learn more from them.

Will

"Joshua C" <cool.guy_NOSPAM_R...@cogeco.ca> wrote in message news:u%6l8.903$i6.7...@read1.cgocable.net...

---

Kadaitcha Man

Mar 18, 2002, 2:46:25 AM3/18/02

> It makes me shudder - why do 'non enttities'
> try to answer Qs when they have no knowledge at
> all - try playing Nickelback or Nirvana - you
> would probably learn more from them.

That'd be Joshua C. Some village somewhere is missing its idiot.

--
Kadaitcha Man
Moderator: alt.os.windows-xp

Joshua C

Mar 18, 2002, 10:39:57 PM3/18/02
Awww, thanks Kadaitcha, at least i see someone in this world cares for me. Family hug. LOL

BTW I was serious will, some people can not be as knowledgable enough to think of something that
simple, ntldr missing doesn't neccessarily mean its floppy, true, but you never know, AND IT WAS
NEVER ruled out as a possibility in the posts and replies. Try and think, some aren't used to the
nt environment like some of us. I'm not an expert, but i know more about windows than most people,
and probaly even you.

Kadaitcha Man

Mar 19, 2002, 12:00:52 AM3/19/02

> I'm not an expert, but i know more about windows than most
> people, and probaly even you.

I'll let you know if I find a village for you.

cqu...@iafrica.com

Mar 19, 2002, 6:16:36 AM3/19/02
On Mon, 18 Mar 2002 22:39:57 -0500, "Joshua C"

>BTW I was serious will, some people can not be as knowledgable enough to think of something that
>simple, ntldr missing doesn't neccessarily mean its floppy, true, but you never know, AND IT WAS
>NEVER ruled out as a possibility in the posts and replies.

<Mr_Burns'_lawyer>
"Excuse me, Mrs Simpson; I'm confused..."
</Mr_Burns'_lawyer>

I can't see how a diskette boot would be looking for NTLDR, given that
this is the behaviour of NT's partition boot code that AFAIK is never
written to the boot code of a diskette. Either the diskette's ignored
and the HD is booting, or the diskette is booting and NTLDR awareness?

Unless the bootable diskette series for NT looks for NTLDR on C:?

>----------- ---- --- -- - - - - -
Hoy, UUnet, you useless M-Web back-ender!
When are you going to carry this newsgroup?
>----------- ---- --- -- - - - - -

Joshua C

Mar 19, 2002, 1:45:25 PM3/19/02
Did you actually try it? Sticking a non-bootable floppy into mine, comes up with:

NTLDR missing
Press any key to reboot

Don't ask me how it knows (as its setup to boot from floppy first), but it somehow does. It may be
possible that the formatted floppy is registered with whatever os that formats it.

Kadaitcha Man

Mar 19, 2002, 3:08:16 PM3/19/02

> Did you actually try it? Sticking a non-bootable
> floppy into mine, comes up with:
>
> NTLDR missing
> Press any key to reboot
>
> Don't ask me how it knows (as its setup to boot
> from floppy first), but it somehow does. It may be
> possible that the formatted floppy is registered with
> whatever os that formats it.

No shit, Sherlock?

Joshua C

Mar 19, 2002, 6:10:15 PM3/19/02
"Kadaitcha Man" <fo...@hahahahaha.com> wrote in message news:a785o7$pbs$0...@pita.alt.net...

| No shit, Sherlock?
|

| --
| Kadaitcha Man
| Moderator: alt.os.windows-xp

Back to your same old bitter self I see... Head down to your local insane asylum and I'm sure
they'll be able to help you with your anger management problems..

Kadaitcha Man

Mar 20, 2002, 11:14:43 AM3/20/02

> "Kadaitcha Man" <fo...@hahahahaha.com> wrote in message
> |
> | No shit, Sherlock?
> |

> | --
> | Kadaitcha Man
> | Moderator: alt.os.windows-xp
>
> Back to your same old bitter self I see...

Had you, perchance, noted a change in my disposition? Maybe the sock wasn't
on properly.

habid

Apr 3, 2002, 11:34:09 AM4/3/02
You're no one.