mount remote symlink linked to directory

Cat

Dec 6, 2021, 3:17:34 AM12/6/21
$ ssh admin@nas ls -l /volume1/public/
drwxrwxrwx 2 guest users 4096 Dec 3 16:23 x
lrwxrwxrwx 1 guest users 2 Dec 3 16:25 y -> x/
$ sudo mount -o guest //nas/public/x $(mktemp -d)

OK!!!

But now pay attention (instead of //nas/public/x will be mounted
//nas/public/y).

$ sudo mount -o guest //nas/public/y $(mktemp -d)
mount error(13): Permission denied
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs) and kernel
log messages (dmesg)

Why?
I suspect it's some of the usual security policies...

William Unruh

Dec 6, 2021, 5:21:19 AM12/6/21
A symlink is a file whose content is the name of the file it points
to. You cannot mount files.

It certainly would not mount x on the directory

J.O. Aho

Dec 6, 2021, 5:34:01 AM12/6/21
On 06/12/2021 09.17, Cat wrote:
> $ ssh admin@nas ls -l /volume1/public/
> drwxrwxrwx  2 guest users 4096 Dec  3 16:23 x
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 guest users    2 Dec  3 16:25 y -> x/
> $ sudo mount -o guest //nas/public/x $(mktemp -d)
>
> OK!!!
>
> But now pay attention (instead of //nas/public/x will be mounted
> //nas/public/y).
>
> $ sudo mount -o guest //nas/public/y $(mktemp -d)
> mount error(13): Permission denied
> Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs) and kernel
> log messages (dmesg)
>
> Why?

A mount point is a directory, while you have provided one that is a symlink.

You would need to mount it to /volume1/public/x and then you can access
it from /volume1/public/y

sudo mount -o guest //nas/public/y /volume1/public/x

--

//Aho

Aragorn

Dec 6, 2021, 5:42:47 AM12/6/21
On 06.12.2021 at 10:21, William Unruh scribbled:

> A symlink is a file whose content is the name of the file it points
> to. You cannot mount files.

Actually, that is not true. You can loopback-mount a file that is an
image of a filesystem.

One can however not mount a file directly without using a loopback
device, and a symlink is not aven a regular file, which is why there's
an "l" at the front of the permissions mask instead of a dash.

--
With respect,
= Aragorn =

Cat

Dec 6, 2021, 8:52:19 PM12/6/21
Il 06/12/21 11:33, J.O. Aho ha scritto:
thanks

Stefen

Dec 7, 2021, 2:56:45 AM12/7/21
Both Peeler and Gregory 'The Shill' Hall had their clinkers and their
embarrassments. One presented it as supernatural and didn't do anything
too shocking that could not be re-done in a way that made it look like
he had a clue.

Peeler shared a specific series of sites several times now, and invited
Gregory 'The Shill' Hall to show which ones aren't accurate and provide
the testimony to support his assertion. At no time has Gregory 'The Shill'
Hall done so. Where did Gregory 'The Shill' Hall go to school? Peeler
created at least 20 virtual systems in the last year or so. Let us all
have a moment of silence as we honor his accomplishments! For most I
would merely think the comment is suspicious. Given that it's Gregory
'The Shill' Hall I would forget that step and go straight to 'drug-induced
delusion' because that's most of what Gregory 'The Shill' Hall does.
IOW, there is no reason to respect presumption of innocence. "Somewhere
between 1997 or 2004 I trusted Peeler, the absolutely laughable liar"
- Gregory 'The Shill' Hall.

I've been scanning a bit from some of those old threads he was previously
shown to be bragging about degrees he does not have. I noticed that many
of those he would go out of his way to again and again attack had comprehensive
technical knowledge. I didn't find many who were also adept in the scripting
side of things, or were also trained as an electrician along with various
aspects of IS; with the paperwork to back it all up, too.

--
E-commerce Simplified!
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=steve+carroll+narcissistic+bigot

Stefen

Dec 7, 2021, 3:29:53 AM12/7/21
An unceasing, fierce, posting itch, despite nothing to say - essentially
slimy Mac-using prostitutes, and vigorously-greased ram, hung from the
ceiling for his own secret purposes.

It was Peeler who stated that he and his hired winos used to knock over
mailboxes all the time and it was arousing.

I am not infuriated, just the opposite I am busting a gut because Peeler's
crap is so juvenile. He purposefully didn't list all the benchmarks that
he would soon poo poo... and we all know why. At least he has trolls in
his corner ;)

--
One Smart Penny
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prZeTJKpc3Y

Diesel Crook

Dec 7, 2021, 3:45:49 AM12/7/21
I'm about to plonk him, myself. Like all idiots, he is continually looking
for some way to blame, no matter how silly the allegation. I will not see
his response to this post. He is hurting, wants to pretend he is innocent,
and will lash out. Most likely leading-off with a dismissive "<crickets>",
as if what I have written is *so* crazy. That BADish "response" was the
final indignity, for me.

And in response you have nothing but a crack to start a troll-fest. Really,
those of you who troll are not able to restrain JavaScript anymore. Where
did Apd go to school? Bing for 'functionally illiterate fraud' and Dustin
Cook is on the first page: <https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Dustin+Cook%3A+functionally+illiterate+fraud>.

--
This broke the Internet!!
https://www.bing.com/search?q=Dustin+Cook%3A+functional+illiterate+fraud

HHI

Dec 7, 2021, 2:09:19 PM12/7/21
In fact F. Russell's lies were quoted time and time again. So naturally
I regret being kind to F. Russell. While I am sure his shills approved
of it, I've not helped the situation at all.

Search for 'functionally illiterate fraud' and Dustin Cook's name pop
up: <https://www.google.com/search?q=dustin+cook%3A+functionally+illiterate+fraud>.
I have known fish who argue better than you do. F. Russell is repeatedly
fixated on *only* himself, as I noted, when it comes to the topic of forgery.
And he completely ducks the fact that his "ally" has not only confessed
to engaging in that against Gregory Hall but he has said he deems it to
be no big deal... a joke. We're all sorry F. Russell's a paranoid, narcissistic,
delusional liar but that's not gonna change anything <shrug>. I want F.
Russell to support their trolling accusation. Let's see the proof F. Russell.
When I accused F. Russell of flooding as Gregory Hall I actually supported
it with quotes.

Already moved on from that. Keep up!

-
Live on Kickstarter!!
https://www.bing.com/search?q=%22narcissistic%20bigot%22
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.sys.mac.apps/c/VMCw29DnV84>
Dustin Cook is a functionally illiterate fraud

Steve Carroll

Dec 8, 2021, 4:29:35 AM12/8/21
Rbowman and Sigmond had their snafus and their messes. One presented
it off as someone else's mistake and didn't do anything too publicly
that could not be proved mathematically.

Sigmond is trying again to slander Kaspersky.

Socks that Sigmond can't prove are Rbowman's. Why would I, or anyone,
use socks to expose what we all often say about Sigmond? I'm about to
give up on him, myself. Like all trolls, he's perpetually looking for
some way to criticize, no matter how laughable the accusation. I will
not listen to his response to this post. He is embarrassed, wants to
blame others, and will fly off the handle. Most likely beginning with
a cocky "*plonk*", as if what I have written is SO offensive. That BADish
"approach" was him going too far, for me. Sigmond writes all kinds of
bullshit, don't use that idiot as a reference.

-
What Every Entrepreneur Must Know!!
https://www.google.com/search?q=steve+carroll+the+narcissistic+bigot
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=%22functionally+illiterate+fraud%22
https://www.washingtonpost.com/doonesbury/media/mudline/archive?page=10
Steve Petruzzellis the Narcissistic Bigot

Stephen Carrolll

Dec 8, 2021, 4:08:34 PM12/8/21
Not only did RonB's request not allude to the "DE", it has diddly-squat
to do with the desktop. Kelly Phillips should enter a drug rehab program
;) By following 'media talking heads' like that you get phrases like 'communism'.
Carried to its ultimate progression, the idea that it's 'partisan' for a
heterosexual guy to not wish to date a dead body is born. Can you knock
off pleading for my attention?

--
My Snoring Solution
https://www.google.com/search?q=dustin%20cook%20functionally%20illiterate%20fraud