What's the best and easy way to copy/move my old slow 320 GB SATA HDD's updated Debian bullseye v11.3 to an old fast 115 GB SSD (going to wipe it clean)?

Ant

May 19, 2022, 10:56:55 AM5/19/22
Hello.

What's the best and easy way to copy/move my old slow 320 GB SATA HDD's
updated Debian bullseye v11.3 to an old fast 115 GB SSD (going to wipe
it clean)? Yes, SSD is smaller but my Debian's installation only uses
about 8 GB. I installed Debian use the whole 320 GB drive. I will still
be using the same 13 yrs. old PC.

Thank you for reading and hopefully answering soon. :)
--
Quiet cooler week so far, but will today be slammy? Celtics have better get burned by Miami Heat!
| |o o| |

Ant

May 19, 2022, 3:16:49 PM5/19/22
My current HDD's df and /etc/fstab can be found in
https://pastebin.com/raw/zAJM6Npc.

J.O. Aho

May 19, 2022, 3:50:51 PM5/19/22
On 19/05/2022 16:56, Ant wrote:
> Hello.
>
> What's the best and easy way to copy/move my old slow 320 GB SATA HDD's
> updated Debian bullseye v11.3 to an old fast 115 GB SSD (going to wipe
> it clean)? Yes, SSD is smaller but my Debian's installation only uses
> about 8 GB. I installed Debian use the whole 320 GB drive. I will still
> be using the same 13 yrs. old PC.
>
> Thank you for reading and hopefully answering soon. :)

As your main partition is larger than the SSD, will make it not possible
to use dd to make a clone.

Using rsync has the limitation that it will not be able to install the
boot loader.

One alternative is to use dd to clone the beginning of the HDD to the
SDD, you would then need to repartition the SSD, format your partition
that will be used on the SSD for / and then rsync the content from the HDD.

It's a lot easier if you go from a smaller disk to larger one, as then
you can dd the old one to the new and then extend partition.

I would recommend a fresh install and then rsync the /home from the HDD
to the SSD. This way you get all your personal configurations, if you
need system configurations then you need to pick the right files from /etc.

--

//Aho

Bit Twister

May 19, 2022, 4:00:42 PM5/19/22
On Thu, 19 May 2022 21:50:48 +0200, J.O. Aho wrote:
> On 19/05/2022 16:56, Ant wrote:
>> Hello.
>>
>> What's the best and easy way to copy/move my old slow 320 GB SATA HDD's
>> updated Debian bullseye v11.3 to an old fast 115 GB SSD (going to wipe
>> it clean)? Yes, SSD is smaller but my Debian's installation only uses
>> about 8 GB. I installed Debian use the whole 320 GB drive. I will still
>> be using the same 13 yrs. old PC.
>>
>> Thank you for reading and hopefully answering soon. :)
>
> As your main partition is larger than the SSD, will make it not possible
> to use dd to make a clone.

Problem with using dd is that it also may clone the UUID. I have no idea
which kernel will be booted by grub.

My experience is is the linux kernel will boot the last UUID/LABEL found
for the same UUID/LABEL. In this case the ssd would boot but the old /dev/sdb1
will be mounted on top of the ssd partition. :(

Anton Ertl

May 19, 2022, 4:11:27 PM5/19/22
a...@zimage.comANT (Ant) writes:
>Hello.
>
>What's the best and easy way to copy/move my old slow 320 GB SATA HDD's
>updated Debian bullseye v11.3 to an old fast 115 GB SSD (going to wipe
>it clean)? Yes, SSD is smaller but my Debian's installation only uses
>about 8 GB. I installed Debian use the whole 320 GB drive. I will still
>be using the same 13 yrs. old PC.

Create partitions on the SSD as desired, mkfs them, and then copy the
contents of the directory with e.g., rsync, tar or cpio.

Then (the hard part) install the boot loader on your SSD so that it
boots Linux. No tips for that from me, it tends to be a fight
involving chroot etc. and several attempts in recent years. It used
to be easier in the good old LILO days.

Followups set to alt.os.linux.debian.

- anton
an...@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at Most things have to be believed to be seen

Kirk_Rockstein

May 19, 2022, 6:27:05 PM5/19/22

On 2022-05-19, Ant <a...@zimage.comANT> wrote:
> My current HDD's df and /etc/fstab can be found in
> https://pastebin.com/raw/zAJM6Npc.
>

> In alt.os.linux.debian Ant <a...@zimage.comant> wrote:
>> Hello.
>
>> What's the best and easy way to copy/move my old slow 320 GB SATA HDD's
>> updated Debian bullseye v11.3 to an old fast 115 GB SSD (going to wipe
>> it clean)? Yes, SSD is smaller but my Debian's installation only uses
>> about 8 GB. I installed Debian use the whole 320 GB drive. I will still
>> be using the same 13 yrs. old PC.
>
>> Thank you for reading and hopefully answering soon. :)

Boot up the latest version of SytemRescueCD/USB with both drives attached.
Use fdisk -l to determine where the drives are located on the /dev tree.
(example; determine which drive is /dev/sda and which is /dev/sdb)
Partition the new SSD drive with fdisk, run mke2fs to create/
format ext4 filesystem on the partition, then run tune2fs -U <UUID-OF-HDD>
on the partition/filesystem on the SSD to set the UUID to exactly what you
have on the HDD. Mount both drive partitions/filesystems
and use rsync to copy the filesystem from the HDD partition/filesystem
to the SSD partition/filesystem.
After rsync has completed copying the filesytem,
chroot into the filesystem on the SSD and run
the grub-install from the chrooted environment.
Just a basic instruction as I do not have time at the moment to go
into every detail as I am extremely burnt from a long day of work
but could go into detailed instructions on how to do so later if you
wish.

J.O. Aho

May 20, 2022, 2:02:12 AM5/20/22
On 19/05/2022 22.00, Bit Twister wrote:
> On Thu, 19 May 2022 21:50:48 +0200, J.O. Aho wrote:
>> On 19/05/2022 16:56, Ant wrote:
>>> Hello.
>>>
>>> What's the best and easy way to copy/move my old slow 320 GB SATA HDD's
>>> updated Debian bullseye v11.3 to an old fast 115 GB SSD (going to wipe
>>> it clean)? Yes, SSD is smaller but my Debian's installation only uses
>>> about 8 GB. I installed Debian use the whole 320 GB drive. I will still
>>> be using the same 13 yrs. old PC.
>>>
>>> Thank you for reading and hopefully answering soon. :)
>>
>> As your main partition is larger than the SSD, will make it not possible
>> to use dd to make a clone.
>
> Problem with using dd is that it also may clone the UUID. I have no idea
> which kernel will be booted by grub.

You can change the UUID after cloning, but then you need to edit the
fstab if the UUID is used for mounting.

For me this tends to be a no issue, as the device that has been cloned
usually will be retired or end up in another computer.

--

//Aho

Paul

May 20, 2022, 2:03:08 AM5/20/22
On 5/19/2022 10:56 AM, Ant wrote:
> Hello.
>
> What's the best and easy way to copy/move my old slow 320 GB SATA HDD's
> updated Debian bullseye v11.3 to an old fast 115 GB SSD (going to wipe
> it clean)? Yes, SSD is smaller but my Debian's installation only uses
> about 8 GB. I installed Debian use the whole 320 GB drive. I will still
> be using the same 13 yrs. old PC.
>
> Thank you for reading and hopefully answering soon. :)

The presumption would be, that the real amount of data, fits on a
120GB SSD.

It sounds like it does.

You can use GParted, to shrink and move partitions on the 320GB drive.

Since this is risky, a backup of the drive should be made first.

You want the overall layout, to be a slight bit smaller than 115GB.
You can make it smaller than that if you like.

Once it's smaller than that, you can clone it with Macrium.
A Macrium Rescue CD can do the final step (clones EXT and swap).

*******

If you accepted some "defaults" during installation, you may
be the recipient of an Extended with a Logical partition for
slash in it.

To shrink that, you shrink the Logical first. That would be /dev/sda5 .

The envelope it lives in, is /dev/sda2, and you shrink the envelope
last. Once the envelope is small enough, it should no longer
extend past 115GB. And then you're ready for a clone.

The Macrium Rescue CD should handle

MBR
Primary and secondary GPT partition tables (if present)
Boot track
Partitions

I simulated the whole thing here, using the Mint on my laptop
as a source of an image. I put it in a VM and simulated the
whole thing. And the resultant "small disk" booted just fine.
I did not do any BLKID checks, but the BLKIDs must be the
same, since Macrium does not edit anyones /etc/fstab for them :-)
This means you don't run the 320GB and the 120GB drives
at the same time, after the clone is done. You would need to
change BLKIDs and /etc/fstab, as a separate venture, if you
want to do a thorough job.

The objective of doing it this way, is I did not want to
know anything about the files in the partitions. I just
wanted a recipe that would work at the partition level.

Paul

J.O. Aho

May 20, 2022, 2:10:41 AM5/20/22

On 19/05/2022 22.03, Anton Ertl wrote:
> a...@zimage.comANT (Ant) writes:
>> Hello.
>>
>> What's the best and easy way to copy/move my old slow 320 GB SATA HDD's
>> updated Debian bullseye v11.3 to an old fast 115 GB SSD (going to wipe
>> it clean)? Yes, SSD is smaller but my Debian's installation only uses
>> about 8 GB. I installed Debian use the whole 320 GB drive. I will still
>> be using the same 13 yrs. old PC.
>
> Create partitions on the SSD as desired, mkfs them, and then copy the
> contents of the directory with e.g., rsync, tar or cpio.
>
> Then (the hard part) install the boot loader on your SSD so that it
> boots Linux. No tips for that from me, it tends to be a fight
> involving chroot etc. and several attempts in recent years. It used
> to be easier in the good old LILO days.

I would recommend the Getnoo documentation on the chroot, this for it
includes /proc and /sys which seems to be required with Grub2 nowadays.

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Chroot

Of course you have to install the grub on the right disk, so that you
don't update the one on the old disk.

> Followups set to alt.os.linux.debian.

That is quite rude, then I won't be able to follow the thread at all, so
reverted your followup.

--

//Aho

Steve Carroll - frelwizzer

May 20, 2022, 8:37:21 AM5/20/22
Geeeejus! How did Alan B get _so_ conceited he believes everything is about
his comments?? I'm not angry, just the opposite I am in stitches because
Alan B's trolling is so absurd. He actively did not mention all the tasks
that he would inevitably mock... and we all know why, Alan B is too stupid
to see why. At least he has his shills to back him.

Alan B has toned down the hundreds of self-serving, hogwash attacks he
used to produce but he is certainly not much different in the honor department.
He uses shills more now to generate those attacks. At one point, Alan B
said a usenet denizen was "obsessing" over him, which was shown to be merely
him using his flood script to "boost" his "mentions" count. It is the same
pattern that happens in every group Alan B visits. From what I've seen
(which is none of it lately), it looks like the flood script is breaking
down.

--
Eight things to never feed your dog
<https://groups.google.com/g/rec.photo.digital/c/e7iwP04xhNU>

Stephen Carrolll 8768

May 20, 2022, 9:57:35 AM5/20/22
Alan B: <XnsACC9F3...@z9kfcl9n7KHDpF0eI.64L>
-----
Yea, I call bullshit on that. Driver media doesn't have a valid
boot sector present. As a result, the machine wouldn't have
refused to reboot because the disk was left behind.
-----

A reasoned response would be for you to just note your error -- of course
you were wrong to say "the machine would not have refused to reboot because
the disk was left behind." That is in fact exactly what was happening.

And you were wrong to say I suggested this was true of machines other
than the one being noted in Carroll's trolling.
Alan B was once again a liar by claiming he would not engage Michael Snit
Glasser by loudly blasting *plonk* and then ambushing him again by means
of another poster. If Michael Snit Glasser has 'b.doc' open in an application
such as gedit and Alan B wants to change its name to 'c.txt' via a GUI
menu item when editing a script, Michael Snit Glasser's method might be
good.

Nobody gets it, I ain't done gone got it.

I nonetheless remain unconvinced that these posts are scripted.

Until Alan B offers up his 'top-of-the-line' Linux quick fix for evaluation,
there is no competition, just insane contentions.

--
My Snoring Solution!
https://www.washingtonpost.com/doonesbury/media/mudline/archive?page=10

Steven Carroll

May 20, 2022, 5:56:34 PM5/20/22
I would reply to Alan B honestly but he is an idiot who screws around to
effect his desire to call everyone a deceiver. Alan B suffers from neurotic
drug trips so, to him, everything, even simple comments about tech, are
"abuses". Who *doesn't* know this? Alan B is the only person I know who
had a 'blog' intended to attack me that quickly turned into broken links
with question marks where maps/multimedia used to be, and if you hovered
over it, you would be reading about a DMCA that was taken down for copyright
infringement. What I learned is, where I've come across people calling
themselves "conservatives" while off roading, they weren't the usual ninny
sort that likes to bellyache about all things. Why are such people seemingly
never content. Do they not see what a waste that is?

--
Do not click this link!
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=%22functionally+illiterate+fraud%22

Steve

May 21, 2022, 8:16:09 AM5/21/22
On Thursday, May 19, 2022 at 11:10:41 PM UTC-7, J.O. Aho wrote:
Don't get too full of hot air, Michael Glasser Snit, sometimes "your
socks" are just that. How is random neuron firings tied to flatlining
brain waves in any way going to lead to meaningful usenet writing? Ryan
Sullivan shared a specific series of doxing files several times now,
and invited Michael Glasser Snit to show which ones aren't true and provide
the evidence to support his assertion. No way has Michael Glasser Snit
done so.

Of course I noted specific examples of Michael Glasser Snit flooding
every group I post to -- focusing on ego and not tech, etc. His response:
to troll Ryan Sullivan.

--
Curious how these posts are made? Email: frelw...@gmail.com

bad sector

May 21, 2022, 9:51:46 AM5/21/22
On 2022-05-19 15:16, Ant wrote:
> My current HDD's df and /etc/fstab can be found in
> https://pastebin.com/raw/zAJM6Npc.
>

> In alt.os.linux.debian Ant <a...@zimage.comant> wrote:
>> Hello.
>
>> What's the best and easy way to copy/move my old slow 320 GB SATA HDD's
>> updated Debian bullseye v11.3 to an old fast 115 GB SSD (going to wipe
>> it clean)? Yes, SSD is smaller but my Debian's installation only uses
>> about 8 GB. I installed Debian use the whole 320 GB drive. I will still
>> be using the same 13 yrs. old PC.

This is partly why I moved to and ever since advocate the use of at least two bootable linux systems on every computer. There's already plenty of great replies to your post here but I'll throw mine in just for entertainment.

"I" would install a new minimal system on the ssd, same distro, OR preferably a new one of my choice. Devuan is a Debian fork, there are many others, some good for old iron, Suse is easy to use and includes an SU file-manager that's the best idea they ever had :-)

I would boot this new system and connect (usb adapter maybe) and mount the source one on the old disk to verify the occupancy. The real occupany is a must-know item. Next I'd shrink the fs to a reasonable nominal size like maybe 9gb. This shrinking bit is actually not essential but I like to keep my act clean.

Next I would create a new partition on the ssd that's big enough to receive the old system (with service-factor reserves i.e. 2x the anticipated need, so maybe 2*9gb i.e,. 18). Then I would 'dd' the old system partition to the new ssd partition created to host it (both must be unmounted when dd runs) then expand the copied target fs to the size of the hosting partition just copied to. Then I'd mount the new and expanded system to edit its /etc/fstab as required, unmount it, and use the booted new maintenance system I'm working from to re-deploy boot code to the same currently used ssd but this time including the migrated copy in the boot menu to arrive at my final objective AND a new maintenance system.

There might be bugs in this condensed guide but it's the basic idea.

--
Artix Linux , Kernel=5.17.6-artix1-1 on x86_64,
DM=ssdm, DE=KDE, ST=x11,grub2, GPT, BIOS-boot

Dustin Crook

May 21, 2022, 12:48:29 PM5/21/22
It was F 'The Fool' Russell who flooded RonB's site hundreds of thousands
of times and refused to admit it. Having to suffer the use of Native irc
clients is too much for F 'The Fool' Russell to deal with.

Just baloney from him. But F 'The Fool' Russell has left reason behind
and is merely holding me accountable for the acts of himself. Now that
RonB grokked how successful F 'The Fool' Russell is at portraying himself
as the 'injured party' he has figured out this isn't as insane as it seemed.

--
My Snoring Solution!!
https://www.washingtonpost.com/doonesbury/media/mudline/archive?page=10
Narcissistic Bigot Steve Carroll

Ant

May 21, 2022, 3:24:29 PM5/21/22
I booted gparted's ISO to resize my HDD's Debian's drive to 100 GB instead of 320
GB. And then, I booted Debian bullseye v11.3's netinstaller to do a basic
installation with its single partition with the same defaults like I did in HDD. I
didn't install its GUI. Just the basic stuff for quick and easy setups.

I tested both Debian installations, and they booted fine. I booted Clonezilla's ISO
and copied HDD's Debian to SSD successfully and quickly. I rebooted to SSD, but it
still booted to HDD. What happened and how to fix it? :(

In alt.os.linux.debian Ant <a...@zimage.comant> wrote:
> My current HDD's df and /etc/fstab can be found in
> https://pastebin.com/raw/zAJM6Npc.

> In alt.os.linux.debian Ant <a...@zimage.comant> wrote:
> > Hello.

> > What's the best and easy way to copy/move my old slow 320 GB SATA HDD's
> > updated Debian bullseye v11.3 to an old fast 115 GB SSD (going to wipe
> > it clean)? Yes, SSD is smaller but my Debian's installation only uses
> > about 8 GB. I installed Debian use the whole 320 GB drive. I will still
> > be using the same 13 yrs. old PC.

> > Thank you for reading and hopefully answering soon. :)
--
Dang computer problems! Quiet cooler week with the recent very light rain. It's like winter again! Celtics have better get burned by Miami Heat at the end of the eastern conference!

Bit Twister

May 21, 2022, 7:40:50 PM5/21/22
On Sat, 21 May 2022 14:24:22 -0500, Ant wrote:
> I booted gparted's ISO to resize my HDD's Debian's drive to 100 GB instead of 320
> GB. And then, I booted Debian bullseye v11.3's netinstaller to do a basic
> installation with its single partition with the same defaults like I did in HDD. I
> didn't install its GUI. Just the basic stuff for quick and easy setups.
>
> I tested both Debian installations, and they booted fine. I booted Clonezilla's ISO
> and copied HDD's Debian to SSD successfully and quickly. I rebooted to SSD, but it
> still booted to HDD. What happened and how to fix it? :(

you have to run update-grub and /grub2-install and verify ssd's /etc/fstab has
the correct values for /

David W. Hodgins

May 21, 2022, 7:52:52 PM5/21/22
On Sat, 21 May 2022 15:24:22 -0400, Ant <a...@zimage.comant> wrote:

> I booted gparted's ISO to resize my HDD's Debian's drive to 100 GB instead of 320
> GB. And then, I booted Debian bullseye v11.3's netinstaller to do a basic
> installation with its single partition with the same defaults like I did in HDD. I
> didn't install its GUI. Just the basic stuff for quick and easy setups.
>
> I tested both Debian installations, and they booted fine. I booted Clonezilla's ISO
> and copied HDD's Debian to SSD successfully and quickly. I rebooted to SSD, but it
> still booted to HDD. What happened and how to fix it? :(

Duplicate uuids. Remove the sata connector from the hdd, and connect it to the
ssd. Boot with just the ssd connected to confirm it works ok. Once that's
working, connect the hdd to the sata cable the ssd was previously connected to,
boot from an iso and erase the hdd. Then, if desired, partition the hdd to use
for bulk, slow storage.

Regards, Dave Hodgins.

Ant

May 22, 2022, 8:45:40 PM5/22/22
So, there's no way to change their UUIDs so I can have two Debian
installations?

Ant

May 22, 2022, 9:06:54 PM5/22/22
OK. I think I finally got it working now after reading everyone's suggestions (thanks!).

What I did from my memory over my weekend after many trials and errors:
1. Downloaded and burned https://downloads.sourceforge.net/gparted/gparted-live-1.4.0-1-amd64.iso and https://osdn.net/projects/clonezilla/downloads/76513/clonezilla-live-2.8.1-12-amd64.iso/ to two different CD-RW.
2. Made a back up of my original HDD's datas! Duh.
3. Booted gparted from the burned CD-RW. Resized my Seagate 320 GB HDD's Debian partition to about 106 GB. Went to 115 GB SSD, deleted all partitions, and made almost the whole drive as EXT4 FS. Made a new right extended 1 GB partition with a 1 GB swap partition.
4. Rebooted to my HDD to see if its Debian still works. It did. Thanks God!
5. Rebooted to Clonezilla's burned CD-RW and copied Seagate 320 GB HDD's Debian partition to SSD which took under four minutes since it was a small installation.
6. Rebooted to SSD, but it still went to my HDD! So, I found out it was because of the confusing UUIDs from Grub.
7. Physically disconnected HDD's SATA cable and retried. It worked. I was hoping to keep both connected just in case. :(

In alt.os.linux.debian Ant <a...@zimage.comant> wrote:
> My current HDD's df and /etc/fstab can be found in
> https://pastebin.com/raw/zAJM6Npc.

> In alt.os.linux.debian Ant <a...@zimage.comant> wrote:
> > Hello.

> > What's the best and easy way to copy/move my old slow 320 GB SATA HDD's
> > updated Debian bullseye v11.3 to an old fast 115 GB SSD (going to wipe
> > it clean)? Yes, SSD is smaller but my Debian's installation only uses
> > about 8 GB. I installed Debian use the whole 320 GB drive. I will still
> > be using the same 13 yrs. old PC.

> > Thank you for reading and hopefully answering soon. :)

--
Dang computer problems! Quiet cooler week with the recent very light rain. It's like winter again! Celtics have better get burned by Miami Heat at the end of the eastern conference!

Bit Twister

May 22, 2022, 9:58:00 PM5/22/22
On Sun, 22 May 2022 19:45:33 -0500, Ant wrote:
> In alt.os.linux.debian David W. Hodgins <dwho...@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:

> So, there's no way to change their UUIDs so I can have two Debian
> installations?

You need to book mark the following url
https://www.google.com/advanced_search
Putting
how do i change partition uuid linux
in the first box gets meSWQWQ
About 498,000 results (0.60 seconds)

David W. Hodgins

May 22, 2022, 11:28:36 PM5/22/22
On Sun, 22 May 2022 20:45:33 -0400, Ant <a...@zimage.comant> wrote:
> So, there's no way to change their UUIDs so I can have two Debian
> installations?

I don't use Debian. Assuming it's using ext4 file systems, as root
# tune2fs -U newuuid /dev/sd?#
with the correct device specified.

You can either make up a new uuid or use uuidgen to generate one that you then
then use in the tune2fs command.

See "man tune2fs" for details.

If the drive is using a gpt partition table, it' more complicated as there are
both partition uuids and file system uuids. I don't know if there is a way to
alter a partition uuid.

Regards, Dave Hodgins

Bit Twister

May 23, 2022, 12:02:51 AM5/23/22
gparted can/does allow it.

Hehehehe, Ant's problem comes back as soon as he powers up after hooking
up drive to change UUIDs :(

He is going have to boot with a rescuecd or live OS to make the sdb
partition changes and change sdb /etc/fstab

Smit Michael Glaser

May 23, 2022, 5:34:50 AM5/23/22
I didn't even know Nospam already had a history of not only counterfeiting
so called evidence, but also having already been caught red handed doing
it and trying to pass it off as like a 3 dollar bill.

Obviously, since they can call Nospam out (repeatedly), he's lied; otherwise
everyone else must be lying be about him, and I don't think Nospam's willing
to go for mass accusation of himself and demand that's even possible.

Sheer hot air by a delusional, fabricating, scheming, tag-teaming bozo
who couldn't tell the truth even if he swore on his mother's grave.

Nospam's posts are nothing but an inconsequential prattle.

--
One Smart Penny
108 Warrior Dr. Kingsport, TN 37663

William Unruh

May 23, 2022, 11:44:47 AM5/23/22
That number is of course complete non-sense. It includes every page that
has the word "How" in it, every page that has the word "change" in it, etc.
And besides how in the world does anyone look throut half a million web
pages. If it is not in the first two pages ( about 40 returns) it is
hopeless. And what does SWQWQ mean?

William Unruh

May 23, 2022, 11:55:05 AM5/23/22
All of which says that the advice to dd the old disk onto the new disk
is pretty useless advice for a newbie. It leads into a rabbit warren.
IF you want to replace an old drive (ie you will be throwing away the
old drive afterwards) then using dd is not too bad. If you want to keep
using it, it is bad advice. Not impossible, but liable to lead to
problems.
Create new partitions on the new drive. Copy over the data using rsync.
Use the distribution tools on the installation cdrom/usb to change the
/etc/fstab on the new drive to point to the new drive, and then to boot
from the new drive.

Smit Michael Glaser

May 23, 2022, 12:17:35 PM5/23/22
Translation: "Gregory Hall" is now *fully* powerless to hide his puppet
usage.

Wow! How did Gregory Hall get *so* self-centered he thinks everything
is about his trolling?? For the record, taking effort researching a problem
is never a waste. Declaring you know all and making an effort to convince
Michael Snit Glasser that it is true? That is a waste.

--
Live on Kickstarter
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=%22FUNCTIONAL+ILLITERATE+FRAUD%22

Steve Carroll

May 23, 2022, 1:36:44 PM5/23/22
Michael Snit Glasser is trying again to slander clamxAV.

How much more time does Michael Snit Glasser's extremely dumb ass (a brick
knows more than Michael Snit Glasser and is useful) need to prove their
Chris spamming accusation with links? Dropping support for 3d printers is
needed for progress.

Chris and Michael Snit Glasser had their failures and their erratum. One
presented it off as someone else's mistake and didn't do anything too outrageous
that could not be blamed on someone else.

I don't agree with that. Ignorance is ignorance and there are tons who
are fine with it. Too many are even lawyers.

--
I Left My Husband & Daughter At Home And THIS happened
https://www.bing.com/search?q=steve%20carroll%20narcissistic%20bigot
Narcissistic Bigot Steve Carroll

Bit Twister

May 23, 2022, 2:43:51 PM5/23/22
True to a point. Just skim the titles and Usually you find the answer
in the first or second page of hits.

> And what does SWQWQ mean?

Me trying to Save response, Window close, Quit, Window close, Quit with hot
keys Ctrl x, using shift key. :(

Dustin Cook

May 24, 2022, 2:54:04 AM5/24/22
On Monday, May 23, 2022 at 8:44:47 AM UTC-7, William Unruh wrote:
And what did Snit sock Snot / Snit have to say about this long list of
"convenient friends" who popped up at just the right moment? Most of
the time he would try to push others to believe they're long time lurkers
who just happened to have all the tells of his socks. Makes no sense.
How is wasting random neuron firings tied to flatlining brain waves in
any way going to lead to reasoned usenet posting? In Snit sock Snot /
Snit's case, I, and a whole list of "others", had pointed to things Snit
sock Snot / Snit said and did, he ignored the evidence. What Snit sock
Snot / Snit did not deny was people sharing such stories, which is how
he ended up with his list, as you know. Wow... in Snit sock Snot / Snit's
'story', that a site has been published is "confirmation" that Theo built
it now?

The image of another one of Snit sock Snot / Snit's forged accounts,
no doubt. At some point Theo will realize his 'friend' is yanking him
around. Theo has gone the extra mile, essentially hand holding Snit sock
Snot / Snit on coding practices only for Snit sock Snot / Snit to blindly
attack him and continue to show that he has no real interest in the subject.
In all reality, it's too hard for snit.

-
E-commerce Simplified
https://www.washingtonpost.com/doonesbury/media/mudline/archive?page=10
Steve Carroll the Narcissistic Bigot

Ann Glaser

May 24, 2022, 3:26:17 AM5/24/22
I thought showing someone I know where he lives might help the situation.
It did not. The majority of advocates in this group do programming either
as recreation or as a part of their job, so I am skeptical Michael Glasser
Snit thinks of writing macros to be "a black art". It's a never ending
story, and Peeler is simultaneously unable to stop his trolling remarks,
while posting with forgeries of Michael Glasser Snit.

Nobody is being controlled by Michael Glasser Snit.

--
One Smart Penny!
https://www.bing.com/search?q=Dustin+Cook+the+functional+illiterate+fraud

Ivan Shmakov

Jun 24, 2022, 6:31:04 AM6/24/22

[No idea why Anssi Saari has removed all the Newsgroups: aside of
alt.os.linux.debian from the followup; I've brought alt.os.linux
back just in case.]

[...]

>>> It used to be easier in the good old LILO days.

>> Was it easier? I guess you didn't need chroot with LILO, I vaguely
>> remember carefully setting up a specific config file to install LILO
>> on a specific drive and then running lilo -C to install using that
>> specific config.

> When copying a working system to a new drive, you already had that
> file. You may have had to edit the boot and root partitions in the
> config file on such an operation (and then run lilo), but that was
> certainly much less effort than what you have to do now. In
> particular, I could do it off the top of my head while I cannot do
> that with the current approach, so I have to organize a printout or
> another computer to do it with the current approach.

[...]

I'm not a fan of LILO, but I can't really argue with that.
Personally, while I acknowledge that GRUB has learned some nifty
tricks over the years, such as getting the files from Linux LVM
(and, IIUC, Linux MD RAID), I believe I /can/ afford having a
separate /boot filesystem and a simpler, more robust bootloader.

Such as Syslinux, to which I've switched a few years ago.
(Disclaimer: all my boxes are capable of BIOS/MBR boot; no idea
how well it works with EFI.)

An example configuration is as follows. It's not something,
as a whole, I actually use, but rather a bunch of pieces of
my conffiles all thrown together, for illustrative purposes.

The installation is 3-step: installing the MBR code (mbr.bin,
gptmbr.bin or altmbr.bin) with dd(1), installing the bootloader
proper with syslinux(1), copying any additional files needed
(such as configuration, "help" files, and Syslinux modules.)
So far as I can tell, no chroot(2) is ever necessary.

### extlinux.conf -*- Syslinux -*-
## Syslinux configuration for dacla.example.com.

## Requires: chain.c32 cmd.c32 ldlinux.c32 ldlinux.sys
## libcom32.c32 libutil.c32 mboot.c32

## Serial console on ttyS0, 9600 8N1. Very handy for systems running
## (booting) under Qemu.
SERIAL 0 9600

DEFAULT dacla-vga
PROMPT 1
TIMEOUT 131
TOTALTIMEOUT 383

SAY Press F1 for cheatsheet
F1 dacla.nfo

## GNU/Linux. Kernel versions are per Debian 10 oldstable.

LABEL dacla-0
LINUX /vmlinuz-4.19.0-20-amd64
INITRD /initrd.img-4.19.0-20-amd64
APPEND root=/dev/vgdacla-sys-i/lvroot-z62b588 ro cgroup_enable=memory i8042.nopnp

LABEL dacla-s0
COM32 cmd.c32
APPEND dacla-0 console=ttyS0

LABEL dacla-vga
COM32 cmd.c32
APPEND dacla-0 console=tty1 video=VGA-1:1280x1024-24

LABEL dacla-4.19.0-19-0
LINUX /vmlinuz-4.19.0-19-amd64
INITRD /initrd.img-4.19.0-19-amd64
APPEND root=/dev/vgdacla-sys-i/lvroot-z62b588 ro cgroup_enable=memory i8042.nopnp

## Dual-boot to NetBSD/9.2

LABEL dacla-nb
COM32 mboot.c32
APPEND /netbsd-9.2-generic.gz root=NAME=dacla-nb-root

## Dual-boot to FreeDOS

LABEL freedos
COM32 chain.c32
APPEND file=/kernl386.sys seg=0x60 nosect nohand

## Memtest86 and Memtest86+

LABEL memtest86
FDIMAGE /memtest86.bin

LABEL memtest86+
FDIMAGE /memtest86+.bin

### extlinux.conf ends here

Example "cheatsheet" (dacla.nfo) file is as follows.

Dacla. Linux 4.19.0 debian 20 amd64 (unsigned) [as of 2022-06-22]

debug= or break=PHASE (break=bottom) for when initramfs scripts fail;
init=/bin/bash for root password recovery, etc.

dacla-vga (default) has console=tty1 video=VGA-1:1280x1024-24 ;
dacla-s0 has console=ttyS0 ;
dacla-0 has neither;
dacla-4.19.0-19-0 uses an older kernel
(NB: add console= and video= as needed.)

dacla-nb add console=com (default: console=pc), -c, -s as needed.

Also available: freedos, memtest86, memtest86+.

--
FSF associate member #7257 http://am-1.org/~ivan/

Computer Nerd Kev

Jul 11, 2022, 4:12:42 AM7/11/22
In alt.os.linux.debian Ivan Shmakov <iv...@siamics.netremove.invalid> wrote:

> Such as Syslinux, to which I've switched a few years ago.
> (Disclaimer: all my boxes are capable of BIOS/MBR boot; no idea
> how well it works with EFI.)

FWIW, Syslinux (extlinux) is working fine for me on an EFI-only PC
as well.

Thanks for the configuration tips.

--
__ __