really strange putty pasting problem

kcGSH6nC

Nov 10, 2012, 6:07:44 PM11/10/12
I know the problem isn't on the Linux side, but I have no idea what
might be going on and folks here are the most likely to have ever seen it.

From my Win7 workstation, whenever I middle-click in PuTTY to paste, the
first line (and whole paste, if it's only one line) always pastes twice
in a row. It does not seem to matter what remote host I am working with
or what OS it is running (though Linux is the case more often than others)

I can't get this to happen with any other software or any other
machine... I've verified the button itself is only pulling current once
(it's not bouncing or anything) and besides, other mice do it too. Other
software isn't seeing double clicks from it either.

This also doesn't seem linked to any particular PuTTY release, further
confusing me.

Has anyone ever run into this before? It's driving me batty for what
should be obvious reasons.

Richard Kettlewell

Nov 11, 2012, 5:12:29 AM11/11/12
kcGSH6nC <kcGS...@mailinator.net> writes:
> I know the problem isn't on the Linux side, but I have no idea what
> might be going on and folks here are the most likely to have ever seen
> it.

comp.security.ssh might be a better place to ask?

--
http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/

kcGSH6nC

Nov 11, 2012, 5:17:24 AM11/11/12
Richard Kettlewell wrote:
> kcGSH6nC <kcGS...@mailinator.net> writes:
>> I know the problem isn't on the Linux side, but I have no idea what
>> might be going on and folks here are the most likely to have ever seen
>> it.
>
> comp.security.ssh might be a better place to ask?

It's not an SSH problem though. It's putty specific, whether in SSH,
telnet, RS232, or raw mode.

The only reason I'm asking here is there's not otherwise an appropriate
place for that (that I am aware of)

J.O. Aho

Nov 11, 2012, 7:10:43 AM11/11/12
From Putty FAQ (
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/feedback.html ):

B.1.2 Other places to ask for help

There are two Usenet newsgroups that are particularly relevant to the
PuTTY tools:

comp.security.ssh, for questions specific to using the SSH protocol;
comp.terminals, for issues relating to terminal emulation (for
instance, keyboard problems).

Please use the newsgroup most appropriate to your query, and remember
that these are general newsgroups, not specifically about PuTTY.

If you don't have direct access to Usenet, you can access these
newsgroups through Google Groups (groups.google.com).

My solution is always install a VM on a machine on which I can't run
Linux natively, so that I can use all the tools you need to make the job
done.

--

//Aho

Whiskers

Nov 11, 2012, 8:45:33 AM11/11/12
Have you eliminated the mouse button as the source of the problem? Could
be mechanical, or a 'repeat' setting in the mouse software that needs to be
changed.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

kcGSH6nC

Nov 11, 2012, 10:13:59 PM11/11/12
Whiskers wrote:
> On 2012-11-10, kcGSH6nC <kcGS...@mailinator.net> wrote:
>> I can't get this to happen with any other software or any other
>> machine... I've verified the button itself is only pulling current once
>> (it's not bouncing or anything) and besides, other mice do it too. Other
>> software isn't seeing double clicks from it either.
>
> Have you eliminated the mouse button as the source of the problem? Could
> be mechanical, or a 'repeat' setting in the mouse software that needs to be
> changed.

Yes, in the post you just replied to. Good thought but I'd ruled that
out already :)

mzsha...@gmail.com

Feb 15, 2018, 8:17:17 AM2/15/18
On Monday, 12 November 2012 03:13:59 UTC, kcGSH6nC wrote:
> Whiskers wrote:
> > On 2012-11-10, kcGSH6nC wrote:
> >> I can't get this to happen with any other software or any other
> >> machine... I've verified the button itself is only pulling current once
> >> (it's not bouncing or anything) and besides, other mice do it too. Other
> >> software isn't seeing double clicks from it either.
> >
> > Have you eliminated the mouse button as the source of the problem? Could
> > be mechanical, or a 'repeat' setting in the mouse software that needs to be
> > changed.
> >

> Yes, in the post you just replied to. Good thought but I'd ruled that
> out already :)

Did you ever resolve this?

Thiago Simoes

Dec 29, 2023, 11:18:53 AM12/29/23
Hi, Did you find anything related to your issue? I'm having the same problem and it is far than annoying....