gx-100: lsusb, lspci...?

bad sector

Feb 19, 2024, 10:36:57 PMFeb 19
I'd like to nail down how my system sees my
(Roland) Boss-gx-100 guitar effects board.
It's connected via a USB cable but neither
of the commands in the subject header lists
it regardless of whether it's powered on or not.

Paul

Feb 20, 2024, 2:24:04 AMFeb 20
It should be in "lsusb", but it doesn't need
to have an identifier, if nobody bothered to inform
the keeper of the informal USB.ids file.

0582:0289 <no text available to go here>

The official USB.org file is unavailable. This is
to protect prototype equipment ("lab specimens") from
exposure to the world. If Linux could access the official
list, the quality of "lsusb" would be "authoritative".

The unofficial list, relies on somebody to make an
identification, and then a string is assigned as
an identifier with the new code.

http://www.linux-usb.org/usb.ids

0582 Roland Corp.

It's not in that section.

*******

So what I do, is try to find an INF file in a Windows driver, and
work out what the two hex numbers should be.

https://static.roland.com/assets/media/zip/gx100_w1011d_v100DL.zip

[Roland.NTamd64.10]
;; Windows10
%DriverDeviceDesc%=DriverInstall, USB\VID_0582&PID_0289 ; GX-100

So that is the VID and PID value that should be detected.

lsusb should have a 0582:0289 entry, but unless it is listed
in a usb.ids file, there won't be a text string next to those
two numbers in the lsusb output.

*******

When you're in Windows, you can use USBTreeView to see the
"thing" appear when you plug it in. It's only going to show
in Windows Device Manager (devmgmt.msc) if you've installed
the driver. But this tool, like lsusb, should show the device
even without a driver. It likely forms endpoints and then
without a driver, will not do much else.

https://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbtreeview_e.html

Download latest release:

x64:
https://www.uwe-sieber.de/files/UsbTreeView_x64.zip (~420KB)

Win32:
https://www.uwe-sieber.de/files/UsbTreeView_Win32.zip (~390KB)

Paul

bad sector

Feb 20, 2024, 6:52:48 PMFeb 20
Thank you, it *is* there when it's turned ON. Yesterday it wasn't
sjhhowing up at all. In a vBox hosted w10 it showed up as "Boss GX-100"
but the last reintall in vBox that I made doesn't show it anymore. I'll
try another run at it after making me a step-by-step to get at least
similar if not iudentical results every time :-)

# lsusb
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 13b1:003e Linksys AE6000 802.11a/b/g/n/ac
Wireless Adapter [MediaTek MT7610U]
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 007: ID 058f:6387 Alcor Micro Corp. Flash Drive
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 2f68:0082 Hoksi Technology DURGOD Taurus K320
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 007 Device 002: ID 046d:c062 Logitech, Inc. M-UAS144 [LS1 Laser Mouse]
Bus 008 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 009 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

Turn unit ON:

/home/u3 # lsusb
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 13b1:003e Linksys AE6000 802.11a/b/g/n/ac
Wireless Adapter [MediaTek MT7610U]
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0582:0289 Roland Corp. GX-100
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 007: ID 058f:6387 Alcor Micro Corp. Flash Drive
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 2f68:0082 Hoksi Technology DURGOD Taurus K320
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 007 Device 002: ID 046d:c062 Logitech, Inc. M-UAS144 [LS1 Laser Mouse]
Bus 008 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 009 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

Paul

Feb 21, 2024, 3:39:13 AMFeb 21
Install VirtualBox Additions, to a newly installed Guest virtual machine,
if you expect the hardware passthru to work. It's probably necessary
for this purpose.

Then, go to the Settings and add the item to the passthru list.
When the Guest starts up, the device will "disappear" from the Host,
and be "newly discovered hardware" in the Guest. And vice versa,
on shutdown.

Paul

bad sector

Feb 21, 2024, 7:44:59 PMFeb 21
>> ... no gx-100 >>
>> Turn unit ON:
>>
>> /home/u3 # lsusb
>> Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0582:0289 Roland Corp. GX-100
>

> Install VirtualBox Additions, to a newly installed Guest virtual machine,
> if you expect the hardware passthru to work. It's probably necessary
> for this purpose.
>
> Then, go to the Settings and add the item to the passthru list.
> When the Guest starts up, the device will "disappear" from the Host,
> and be "newly discovered hardware" in the Guest. And vice versa,
> on shutdown.
>
> Paul

80-90% of my vBox installations run into this problem and it's likely
something I'm doing wrong or not doing at all.

Tonight I tried on Suse Slowroll 7.0.14-2.1.
Just about everything virtualbox is installed
including "virtualbox guest tools 7.0.14-2.1"
which is supposedly "VirtualBox guest addition
tools" I cannot find any guest tools 'iso'
7.014-2.1 anywhere.

I uploaded a screen shot with 4 captures on my desktop

https://i.imgur.com/ZPWTblA.png

Top-Left is initials, Extension pack is installed.
There is no mention of guest-tools (installed).

Bottom-Left is the intial USB filter in settings
showing the correct numbers for a GX-100

Top-Right is where it hits the fan, all the USB
checkboxes are ghosted, lsusb on top of it still
shows the device under Linux 'jurisdiction'.

Bottom-Right is a weird situation. So far during my
installs I clicked on 'hit any key to load from CD/DVD'
at the very start (maybe I shouldn't). A couple of times
I forgot and that got me going in a somewhat different
sequence of dialogs, including one where the installer
has to be re-pointed to the same iso image. One of these
dialogs, in this image, shows a transluscent screen in
the top-right about mouse and kybrd integration. Somehow
THIS little bit of transluscent info is NOWHERE to be
seen in my 'normal?' installs. Does thsi have any value
for troubleshooting?

David W. Hodgins

Feb 21, 2024, 9:26:43 PMFeb 21
On Wed, 21 Feb 2024 19:44:46 -0500, bad sector <forgetski@_invalid.net> wrote:
> 80-90% of my vBox installations run into this problem and it's likely
> something I'm doing wrong or not doing at all.
>
> Tonight I tried on Suse Slowroll 7.0.14-2.1.
> Just about everything virtualbox is installed
> including "virtualbox guest tools 7.0.14-2.1"
> which is supposedly "VirtualBox guest addition
> tools" I cannot find any guest tools 'iso'
> 7.014-2.1 anywhere.

The guest additions must be installed in the guest. It's not needed in the
host.

In the host ...
- virtualbox must be installed
- matching version of the extension pack downloaded from
https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/7.0.14/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-7.0.14.vbox-extpack

- Virtualbox kernel modules built for the host's running kernel version and
the virtualbox version (vboxdrv, vboxnetadp, and vboxnetflt kernel modules).

In the guest, the guest additions must be installed. That can come either
from linux distro as a package, or in a running guest use the "Devices" menu
entry to insert the guest additions iso. If it hasn't been previously downloaded,
you'll be asked whether it should be downloaded (from virtualbox.org).

Regards, Dave Hodgins

Paul

Feb 21, 2024, 11:06:10 PMFeb 21
The only additional idea that comes to mind, is watch
that your Filter terms are not too tight. Like, say you
insist it is on Port 002 in the filter, then you come back
with a coffee in hand, and idly move the USB cable from
Port 002 to Port 003, without thinking of the Filter.

If other devices were passed through (say, for example,
a test USB stick used to test passthru), then check that
the filter for the GX-100 hasn't become too tight for the job.

If other items are passing through OK, the configuration
files needed, must already be present. That leaves the Filter.
(Or, a device malfunction, which is unlikely.)

Paul