NixOS

user

Jan 13, 2024, 11:05:20 AMJan 13
Anyone here using NixOS? I think it's pretty neat.

Auric__

Jan 13, 2024, 8:08:02 PMJan 13
user wrote:

> Anyone here using NixOS? I think it's pretty neat.

I looked into it a while back. Decided not to. I prefer Slackware.

--
Evil is a point of view.

Blue-Maned_Hawk

Jan 14, 2024, 11:06:15 AMJan 14
user wrote:

> Anyone here using NixOS? I think it's pretty neat.

It doesn't matter, since all Linux distros are interchangable.

--
Blue-Maned_Hawk│shortens to
Hawk│/

immibis

Jan 15, 2024, 12:28:31 AMJan 15
On 1/14/24 17:06, Blue-Maned_Hawk wrote:
> user wrote:
>
>> Anyone here using NixOS? I think it's pretty neat.
>
> It doesn't matter, since all Linux distros are interchangable.

They all install software, but how they do it is different, but
sometimes how they do it is very similar, but NixOS's way is not very
similar.

RonB

Jan 15, 2024, 3:29:52 AMJan 15
Looks interesting.

--
"Evil preaches tolerance until it is dominant, then it tries to silence good."
-- Archbishop Charles J. Chaput

Paul

Jan 15, 2024, 8:57:15 AMJan 15

immibis

Jan 15, 2024, 10:04:16 AMJan 15
I don't understand what you are trying to say here. Nix has a completely
unique (to my knowledge) type of package management, which makes it
substantially different from other distributions.

J.O. Aho

Jan 15, 2024, 11:12:13 AMJan 15
Paul refers to all the known Linux distributions, how they relate to
each other and when they first was released and if you scroll down to
the bottom of the image you will see NixOS was released in the 2004 and
do not have a parent distribution.

It do still use the Linux kernel and the Gnu userland tools, so in that
respect it's as any Linux distribution, but the package system makes it
feel more like a mix of a metedistribution which relies on
appimages/flatpack, but sure it's not the case.

--
//Aho

Paul

Jan 15, 2024, 1:12:25 PMJan 15
You bring a new distro to our attention.

I'm showing you how you check the history of Linux,
to see when it first appeared and so on.

Like, if you went to Distrowatch, there's a chance it
might not even be there. There is a small group of
people who work on that map, and try to keep it up-to-date.

It's not like this was created from some other effort.

Paul

immibis

Jan 15, 2024, 3:20:12 PMJan 15
On 1/15/24 17:12, J.O. Aho wrote:
> On 15/01/2024 16.04, immibis wrote:
>> On 1/15/24 14:57, Paul wrote:
>
>>> You can use your Linux map to check pedigree.
>>>
>>> NixOS is down near the bottom.
>>>
>>> https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1b/Linux_Distribution_Timeline.svg
>>>
>>>     ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_distributions )
>>>
>>>    Paul
>>
>> I don't understand what you are trying to say here. Nix has a
>> completely unique (to my knowledge) type of package management, which
>> makes it substantially different from other distributions.
>
> Paul refers to all the known Linux distributions, how they relate to
> each other and when they first was released and if you scroll down to
> the bottom of the image you will see NixOS was released in the 2004 and
> do not have a parent distribution.

So..... I still don't see why any of that is relevant.

Beni

Feb 12, 2024, 4:18:16 PMFeb 12
On 13/01/2024 17.05, user wrote:
> Anyone here using NixOS? I think it's pretty neat.

I think there are two very nice things in NixOS:

1) the possibility of building the exact same system multiple times from
a description file. That makes it super nice for VM / container
deployment. Where classic config management just expects some state and
then changes it, nix deploys the whole thing at once as often as needed.

2) The possibility to have the same software installed multiple times in
different versions.

Unfortunately I don't have a lot of time to play with it and can't
convince my employer to use it :-P