vanishing KDE activities pager

bad sector

Sep 12, 2021, 10:09:22 AMSep 12

not really a linux issue but there is no kde usenet group that I know of

Maybe the same pager is used for both activities and desktops, it
could be that confusion arises. All "I" want is individually set up
multiple desktops but the arrival of plasma and activities did that in.
The closest I can get is to use an activity pager and a separate
desktop pager, the latter always staying on #1 so that paging the
activity approximately satisfies my needs. It's regrettable that true
and backward compatible desktop paging didn't make the new
plasma features list.

What happens is that every now and then the activity pager simply
fails to appear in the left edge panel (i use side panels). When this
happens I also lose the backgrounds be they images stored off-system
or just colors. The fubar usually fixes itself after a couple of graphics
relaunches, sometimes via just relogging other times via rebooting,
neither of which is ideal I would think.

Is there a problem I should try to fix or is all this inevitable?

Aragorn

Sep 12, 2021, 2:07:48 PMSep 12
On 12.09.2021 at 10:09, bad sector scribbled:

> not really a linux issue but there is no kde usenet group that I know
> of

There used to be one -- I forgot its name -- but apparently it was
dropped. It was either way a low-traffic group, and I doubt whether
the KDE devs would have been monitoring it.

> Maybe the same pager is used for both activities and desktops, it
> could be that confusion arises.

They are different pagers, but it stands to reason that they would be
sharing some of their code.

> All "I" want is individually set up multiple desktops but the arrival
> of plasma and activities did that in.

The activities are not a Plasma-specific thing. As I understand it,
it's a freedesktop.org thing, which in practice means that the concept
originated in GNOME, or if you will, at RedHat.

> The closest I can get is to use an activity pager and a separate
> desktop pager, the latter always staying on #1 so that paging the
> activity approximately satisfies my needs. It's regrettable that true
> and backward compatible desktop paging didn't make the new plasma
> features list.

There were too many different ways between the offer of desktop
environments and window managers in how they handled virtual desktops.
So freedesktop.org created a number of standards for desktop
environments to live up to.

Some do and some don't, and one could of course criticize
freeedesktop.org for pushing the GNOME design decisions on the rest of
the desktop offerings, but at least there's some interoperability now.
I remember a time in the past when you couldn't even copy/paste from a
KDE application into a GNOME application and vice versa -- it might
have worked with text, but it certainly wouldn't have worked with
images or other objects.

> What happens is that every now and then the activity pager simply
> fails to appear in the left edge panel (i use side panels). When this
> happens I also lose the backgrounds be they images stored off-system
> or just colors. The fubar usually fixes itself after a couple of
> graphics relaunches, sometimes via just relogging other times via
> rebooting, neither of which is ideal I would think.
>
> Is there a problem I should try to fix or is all this inevitable?

This is the first time I hear of this phenomenon, and it might be
distribution-specific. I am running Manjaro and I've never had that
happen to myself -- I've got two activities and twelve virtual desktops
in each -- nor have I read about it on the Manjaro forum, where I am a
moderator. And believe me, the Manjaro forum is full of n00bs and even
outright idiots, so if such a problem existed in Manjaro, then we
certainly would have heard about it by now.

The best advice I can give you is to check the forum for your own
distribution -- assuming they have one, but I'd be surprised if they
didn't -- for any similar reports (and a possible solution), and
possibly also bugs.kde.org. If it's an upstream problem and it's
reproducible, then there may already be a bug report on it -- and if
not, you can file one. I've already submitted several bug reports to
upstream KDE myself, and some of those have already gotten fixed in the
meantime.

--
With respect,
= Aragorn =

Dusty Cook

Sep 12, 2021, 4:18:56 PMSep 12
With all the gloating Pothead's done on this topic, the 'Social Media
Manager' doesn't understand how to do this. It really takes a couple
seconds to select a sentence and 'translate' it. You likely think Gnome
handles the desktop well. Nope. Not compared to what I have.

Why do you keep repeating yourself? Steve 'Narcissistic Bigot' Petruzzellis.

--
Live on Kickstarter!
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/108-Warrior-Dr-Kingsport-TN-37663/42459578_zpid/

bad sector

Sep 12, 2021, 5:30:38 PMSep 12
Thank you for the typically complete analysis :-)

I do have a KDE account, somewhere in a box, in the attic,
it's just that being a usenet extremist I hate web hosted
forums like the fucking plague

Not looking forward to it but I'll bring it up there.......

Steve Carroll

Sep 14, 2021, 4:39:16 PMSep 14
Just look at your posts and look at Snit (a real advocate)'s, there is
nothing for Snit (a real advocate) to learn from a jerk like Gregory Hall.
But so be it, let him keep making a cretin of himself. Real discussion
will be overwhelmed once the trolls overpopulate. That and there will
invariably be a temper tantrum or two in an unmoderated ng. The current
tantrum aside, we've all seen who often blames others when he does not
get a catch on his hook. Gregory Hall's essentially misleading Snit (a
real advocate) to keep feeding him by trying to 'build circuits', specifically,
his clueless efforts and Snit (a real advocate)'s efforts to help him
become a better engineer. He needs attention, and as long as you're willing
to continue directly providing it, he will remain. Everyone is Gregory
Hall -- the oldest gag in the book.

-
Live on Kickstarter!!
https://search.givewater.com/serp?q=Steve+Petruzzellis+%22NARCISSISTIC+BIGOT%22
Steve 'Narcissistic Bigot' Petruzzellis

Dusty Kook

Sep 15, 2021, 1:58:21 PMSep 15
Requesting Wolffan to stop flooding, as fruitless as it is, is distinct
from quoting his hypocrisy. My idea was that good people arrive here
_to_ take on aberrant behavior. It's not like we all don't know what
this forum is, Shadow especially.

Why do you think Shadow is trying to protect Wolffan? Even he sees his
lies. He can not comment on any of the stuff I quote because he sees
it's true. I shall not ask Wolffan how any part of Shadow's body tastes
no matter how frequently Wolffan smooches it.

The link to another one of Wolffan's faked accounts, no doubt. At some
point Shadow will realize his 'partner' is lying to him, too. At times,
an inner world is more valuable than reality.

--
Do not click this link!
https://www.bing.com/search?q=dustin+cook%3A+functionally+illiterate+fraud

STALKING_TARGET_31

Sep 15, 2021, 8:54:23 PMSep 15
What's the Earth coming to when a Meat sock/shill fails to get any traction?
Meat's essentially snowing Ryan Sullivan to keep feeding him by trying
to 'produce screen casts', specifically, his clueless efforts and Ryan
Sullivan's efforts to help him become a better programmer. He needs debate,
and as long as you're willing to continue do his bidding, he will remain.
Lines of text containing hints and signs.

--
Curious how these posts are made? https://youtu.be/hYQ4Tg0r0g0