[OT] decentralized "cloud" storage - Opinions

Soviet_Mario

Jun 26, 2022, 9:58:10 AMJun 26
while starting some research about IPFS (interplanetary file
system)
I've come across this "project"

https://wildland.io/

Does anybody ever heard of ?
If so, what do you think of it ?

Is it a "trustless" (= no trust needed at all) storage ?

I'm reading that, while decentralized cloud encrypt and
split files and store chunks over PCs elsewhere (I still
have to figure out which of the many connected to the net is
"eligible" to store : my only previous experience was the
SEEDING in bittorrent, which seemed rather unreliable since
once one has had enough, they simply stop seeding and parts
of files may become unavailable).
But it seems that some central server (to balance the load,
to assign bandwidths, track the hashes, assign storage
quotas to nodes ... maybe determine if they warrant what
they promise by some bonus/malus mechanism) is still needed.

If that is true, it is not entirely decentralized and
"unstoppable" system.

What do you think of this ?

Any site to get better documented ?

TNX

--
1) Resistere, resistere, resistere.
2) Se tutti pagano le tasse, le tasse le pagano tutti

Fonntuggnio

Jun 26, 2022, 9:59:51 AMJun 26

Soviet_Mario

Jun 26, 2022, 10:06:02 AMJun 26
On 26/06/22 15:58, Soviet_Mario wrote:
> while starting some research about IPFS (interplanetary file
> system)
> I've come across this "project"
>
> https://wildland.io/
>
> Does anybody ever heard of ?
> If so, what do you think of it ?
>
> Is it a "trustless" (= no trust needed at all) storage ?
>
> I'm reading that, while decentralized cloud encrypt and
> split files and store chunks over PCs elsewhere (I still
> have to figure out which of the many connected to the net is
> "eligible" to store : my only previous experience was the
> SEEDING in bittorrent, which seemed rather unreliable since
> once one has had enough, they simply stop seeding and parts
> of files may become unavailable).
> But it seems that some central server (to balance the load,
> to assign bandwidths, track the hashes, assign storage
> quotas to nodes ... maybe determine if they warrant what
> they promise by some bonus/malus mechanism) is still needed.
>
> If that is true, it is not entirely decentralized and
> "unstoppable" system.
>
> What do you think of this ?
>
> Any site to get better documented ?
>
> TNX

SORRY for double posting ... Thunderbird is having problems
in posting, so I tried a "workaround" ... I had thought the
original post hadn't been deployed successfully :\ :\

Soviet_Mario

Jun 26, 2022, 3:24:10 PMJun 26
On 26/06/22 15:58, Soviet_Mario wrote:
> while starting some research about IPFS (interplanetary file
> system)
> I've come across this "project"
>
> https://wildland.io/
>
> Does anybody ever heard of ?
> If so, what do you think of it ?
>
> Is it a "trustless" (= no trust needed at all) storage ?
>
> I'm reading that, while decentralized cloud encrypt and
> split files and store chunks over PCs elsewhere (I still
> have to figure out which of the many connected to the net is
> "eligible" to store : my only previous experience was the
> SEEDING in bittorrent, which seemed rather unreliable since
> once one has had enough, they simply stop seeding and parts
> of files may become unavailable).
> But it seems that some central server (to balance the load,
> to assign bandwidths, track the hashes, assign storage
> quotas to nodes ... maybe determine if they warrant what
> they promise by some bonus/malus mechanism) is still needed.
>
> If that is true, it is not entirely decentralized and
> "unstoppable" system.
>
> What do you think of this ?
>
> Any site to get better documented ?
>
> TNX

SORRY for double posting ... Thunderbird is having problems
in posting, so I tried a "workaround" ... I had thought the
original post hadn't been deployed successfully :\ :\

Paul

Jun 26, 2022, 4:01:22 PMJun 26
On 6/26/2022 10:10 AM, Soviet_Mario wrote:

> SORRY for double posting ... Thunderbird is having problems in posting,
> so I tried a "workaround" ... I had thought the original post hadn't been deployed successfully :\ :\

The posting sequence to Eternal-September is accepting posts,
without sending a status back to the client that the post succeeded.

This makes the user think the posting was not sent.

When it was.

A workaround is to use another server for posting,
until the issue is resolved.

Paul

bad sector

Jun 26, 2022, 5:21:42 PMJun 26
anything stored in a 'cloud' is one step
short of a streaming youtube colonoscopy

my 2

Soviet_Mario

Jun 27, 2022, 5:02:41 AMJun 27
sorry I don't very much master humour in English :\
I'm not sure I've understood it right

I cannot figure out what a youtube colonoscopy is supposed
to be ....

> my 2

Dan Purgert

Jun 27, 2022, 5:43:58 AMJun 27

--
|_|O|_|

bad sector

Jun 27, 2022, 6:45:41 AMJun 27
Your _colonscopia_ streaming 7/24 to youtube or other
portal, can you imagine a more invasive violation of
your privacy? And please, spare me all the security
mantras, there isn't a single encryption block that
doesn't have a back door on every wall :-)))
The instant when 'cloud' was invented it was clear
why it was invented.

--
Oh Lord of the Keyrings on high, have I got bad news
for you: the word trust is nowhere to be found in my

Andrei Z.

Jun 27, 2022, 8:35:25 AMJun 27
Soviet_Mario wrote:
> while starting some research about IPFS (interplanetary file system)
> I've come across this "project"
>
> https://wildland.io/
>
> Does anybody ever heard of ?
> If so, what do you think of it ?

Group members · Wildland · GitLab
https://gitlab.com/groups/wildland/-/group_members

Joanna Rutkowska - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joanna_Rutkowska

Shrug. Time will tell.

jrg

Jun 27, 2022, 11:02:03 AMJun 27
er, this isn't eternal sept, is it? thought it was aioe...

jrg

Jun 27, 2022, 11:03:25 AMJun 27
On 6/26/22 14:21, bad sector wrote:
> anything stored in a 'cloud' is one step
> short of a streaming youtube colonoscopy

+1

Mike Easter

Jun 27, 2022, 1:03:38 PMJun 27
jrg wrote:
You are aioe. SM is e-s, as is Paul in this thread.

--
Mike Easter

Soviet_Mario

Jun 27, 2022, 6:21:26 PMJun 27