grub-2:2.12-1 ...novum?

bad sector

Jan 28, 2024, 8:24:44 AMJan 28

Heads-up: I run many different distros all very
capable of deploying boot code to the booting
disk where I have always wanted it in the so
called MBR. But to avoid a *babylon of grubs*
mostly just one of these systems is used to get
the job done (I normally get suse Slowroll or
suse Tumbleweed to do this for the simple reason
that their Yast system uti makes it so easy!).

I just updated my rolling Artix installation
including grub-2:2.12-1 a package that came bundled
with this:

"(271/470) upgrading grub
[############################################] 100%
:: To use the new features provided in this GRUB
update, it is recommended to install it to the MBR
or UEFI. Due to potential configuration incompatibilities,
it is advised to run both, installation and generation
of configuration:
# grub-install ...
# grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg"

Anyone know what these 'new features' are? I want
to be on top of the issue before it becomes one :-)

TIA

Mike Easter

Jan 28, 2024, 10:39:26 AMJan 28
bad sector wrote:
> I just updated my rolling Artix installation
> including grub-2:2.12-1 a package that came bundled
> with this:
>
> "(271/470) upgrading grub [############################################]
> 100%
> :: To use the new features provided in this GRUB
> update, it is recommended to install it to the MBR
> or UEFI. Due to potential configuration incompatibilities,
> it is advised to run both, installation and generation
> of configuration:
>      # grub-install ...
>      # grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg"
>
> Anyone know what these 'new features' are? I want
> to be on top of the issue before it becomes one :-)

There's this at Phoronix

https://www.phoronix.com/news/GRUB-2.12-Released
> GRUB 2.12 Bootloader Brings SDL2 Support, Boot Loader Interface

... and this from grub-devel mailing list

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/grub-devel/2023-12/msg00052.html

... which has thread comments and a link to the revised grub documentation.

--
Mike Easter

Paul

Jan 28, 2024, 10:44:33 AMJan 28

Mike Easter

Jan 28, 2024, 10:50:39 AMJan 28
Mike Easter wrote:
> There's this at Phoronix

Ha! Funny pair of comments in the phoronix forum:

> what will happen first? witll grub add systemd first or will systemd
> add grub first?

> systemd-boot already exists (and is a fine UEFI boot manager, but
> without a number of the whistles of grub).

Some people were concerned that the access to more advanced gfx might
cause problems, but there is a fall-back for lesser gfx; that is about
the SDL2 multimedia lib'y support which supports Mir & Wayland.

--
Mike Easter

David W. Hodgins

Jan 28, 2024, 3:11:55 PMJan 28

bad sector

Jan 28, 2024, 3:34:16 PMJan 28
Thanks Mike, Paul, David; bit of a false alarm as the temple pillars are
still standing though that version is already installed on at least 3
systems :-)