New usb-wifi

bad sector

Jan 27, 2022, 8:08:21 PM1/27/22

lsusb:
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0bda:b812 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL88x2bu [AC1200 Techkey]
How do I get the driver module 88x2bu.ko for this?
it doesn't seem to be in Leap-15.3 or TW

The gizmo came with a driver package in folders named

8811AU, RTL8814AU and RTL81888192EUS

2 of them with an install.sh none of which work

errors end with:
make[1]: *** /lib/modules/5.16.1-1-default/build: No such file or directory. Stop.
make: *** [Makefile:1318: modules] Error 2

Yast/Software search on 'realtek' coughs up two
uninstalled modules none of which seem to be the
right number

r8168
rtl8812au

Got it on amazon, it's advertised as coming with Linux
drivers which 'seems' to be true.

William Unruh

Jan 27, 2022, 11:04:27 PM1/27/22
On 2022-01-28, bad sector <forgetski@postit_INVALID_.gov> wrote:

> lsusb:
> Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0bda:b812 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL88x2bu [AC1200 Techkey]
> How do I get the driver module 88x2bu.ko for this?
> it doesn't seem to be in Leap-15.3 or TW
>
> The gizmo came with a driver package in folders named
>
> 8811AU, RTL8814AU and RTL81888192EUS
>
> 2 of them with an install.sh none of which work
>
> errors end with:
> make[1]: *** /lib/modules/5.16.1-1-default/build: No such file or directory. Stop.
> make: *** [Makefile:1318: modules] Error 2

That means you have to load the build file for your kernel. I do not
know how suse labels them, but on Mageia they are kernel-devel type
packages. It is trying to fold your driver in with the kernel so it
knows what ioctls to call to call stuff in the kernel. You do not have
that information on your system. You need it.

> Yast/Software search on 'realtek' coughs up two
> uninstalled modules none of which seem to be the
> right number
>
> r8168
> rtl8812au
>
> Got it on amazon, it's advertised as coming with Linux
> drivers which 'seems' to be true.

It comes with the source code for the drivers. You need to compile it to
make the drivers themselves. kernel internal numbers change from kernel to
kernel.
Your drivers need the right ones.

grinch

Jan 28, 2022, 4:33:46 AM1/28/22
I got a RTL8822BU usb wifi working with the below driver from the
OS download site. give it a try. If that's not the right one for your
device. try here https://software.opensuse.org/search

Yast cannot find it.

https://software.opensuse.org/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&baseproject=ALL&q=RTL8822BU

Carlos E.R.

Jan 28, 2022, 7:28:09 AM1/28/22
This is a question you should ask at the openSUSE web forum or mail
list, better chances of reaching the experts. Someone may know about
this particular hardware. It is possible that you have to create an
official report at Bugzilla so that the kernel devs are aware of the
issue and include the drivers in the kernel itself.

I recommend you read "/usr/src/linux/README.SUSE" (package
kernel-devel-*.noarch), specifically the section on how to build modules.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

bad sector

Jan 28, 2022, 10:06:49 AM1/28/22
https://software.opensuse.org/package/rtl88x2bu

it's all here with a 1-click install for both Leap-15.3 and TW.
the two Suse systems on my machines. I'll try these tonight
... then later figure out how2 on Artix, Devuan, and the new
Slackware.

bad sector

Jan 28, 2022, 10:24:01 AM1/28/22
On 1/28/22 07:26, Carlos E.R. wrote:
> On 28/01/2022 02.08, bad sector wrote:
>>
>> lsusb: Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0bda:b812 Realtek Semiconductor
>> Corp. RTL88x2bu [AC1200 Techkey]
>>
>> How do I get the driver module 88x2bu.ko for this? it doesn't seem
>> to be in Leap-15.3 or TW
>>
>> The gizmo came with a driver package in folders named
>>
>> 8811AU, RTL8814AU and RTL81888192EUS
>>

>> 2 of them with an install.sh none of which work
>>
>> errors end with: make[1]: *** /lib/modules/5.16.1-1-default/build:
>> No such file or directory. Stop. make: *** [Makefile:1318:
>> modules] Error 2
>>
>> Yast/Software search on 'realtek' coughs up two uninstalled
>> modules none of which seem to be the right number
>>
>> r8168 rtl8812au
>>
>> Got it on amazon, it's advertised as coming with Linux drivers
>> which 'seems' to be true.
>
> This is a question you should ask at the openSUSE web forum or mail
> list, better chances of reaching the experts.

I also have two of these minuscule TpLink RTL8188EUS type
real fingernail size usb tranceivers. The JUST WORK and I
never had to install anything. Leap-15.3 on my desktop box
started not detecting them anymore so I wrote to the mailing
list but never got a reply. It's the reason I bought the new
RTL88x2bu (I shouldn't have).

Just before the new one got delivered I tried one of these little
jobs on my laptop Leap-15.3 as well and saw that they worked
just fine so the prob couldn't be in Leap per-se. So I took a wild
shot and simply dd'd my laptop Leap-15.3 to the desktop. Problem
solved.

Now that I have this new one, I figure it must be more capable so
I might as well find a way to make it work too, or just give it away :-)

Carlos E.R.

Jan 28, 2022, 6:24:09 PM1/28/22
I can't find any mail with the string "RTL8188" in them :-? (1)

IF that thing worked before and stopped working, the thing to do is
directly report in bugzilla.

(1): I find entries in the build logs. For example:

Subject: [opensuse-factory] Leap 15.2 Build 563.1 released!

- staging: rtl8188eu: Add device code for TP-Link TL-WN727N v5.21
(git-fixes).

Subject: New Tumbleweed snapshot 20210406 released!

- staging: rtl8188eu: prevent ->ssid overflow in rtw_wx_set_scan()
(bsc#1012628).

Subject: openSUSE-SU-2021:1977-1: important: Security update for the
Linux Kernel

- staging: rtl8188eu: fix potential memory corruption in
rtw_check_beacon_data() (git-fixes).

So there is indeed activity around that chip.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

bad sector

Jan 28, 2022, 8:41:34 PM1/28/22
Except for brief excursions today was Tumbleweed day
so it's all installed and working. I hate monopolies so I
feel better now, between the two RTL usb-wifis I have
assured physical control of when my destop is/sn't on
line :-)

The Leap-15.3 line on that page has problems, next
Wednesday will be Leap-15.3 day here.

--
openSUSE Tumbleweed , Kernel=5.16.2-1-default on x86_64,
DM=sddm, DE=KDE, ST=x11,grub2, GPT, BIOS-boot

bad sector

Jan 28, 2022, 8:52:16 PM1/28/22

Carlos E.R.

Jan 29, 2022, 9:08:08 AM1/29/22
What is the relationship between partitions and wifi? :-O

> All the above snags would appear to address bugs that the average
> user (yours truly) wouldn' even be aware of, besides bugzilla is over
> my paygrade.

No, it is not.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

bad sector

Jan 29, 2022, 9:57:18 AM1/29/22
that when my desktop Leap installation's wifi connection
bombed I had a choice of dd-recovery from either a week
old backup image of that same partitiin or directly from a
current operational installation partition on my laptop. I
chose the latter and it worked as the other option would
have worked, so any trace of any problem was at that point
only unlogged history.

Robert

Jan 29, 2022, 6:51:24 PM1/29/22
On 28/01/2022 01:08, bad sector wrote:

> Got it on amazon, it's advertised as coming with Linux
> drivers which 'seems' to be true.

Would these links help at all?
<https://github.com/topics/rtl8811au>
<https://github.com/topics/rtl8814au>
<https://github.com/search?q=rtl8192>
<https://github.com/search?q=rtl8168>

Cheers,
--
Rob
"I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational

Robert

Jan 29, 2022, 6:55:31 PM1/29/22
On 28/01/2022 01:08, bad sector wrote:

> Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0bda:b812 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL88x2bu [AC1200 Techkey]
> How do I get the driver module 88x2bu.ko for this?

A simple search on software.opensuse.org found:
<https://software.opensuse.org/package/rtl88x2bu>

Add the repo and install the driver.

bad sector

Jan 29, 2022, 10:49:48 PM1/29/22
On 1/29/22 18:55, Robert wrote:
> On 28/01/2022 01:08, bad sector wrote:
>
>> Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0bda:b812 Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
>> RTL88x2bu [AC1200 Techkey]
>>
>> How do I get the driver module 88x2bu.ko for this?
>
> A simple search on software.opensuse.org found:
> <https://software.opensuse.org/package/rtl88x2bu>

Exactly, that's the one I cited earlier, and a simple look into
it showed that it did not cover Leap-15.3. I tried to install it
anyway but it was impossible.

Meanwhile I reverted to an even older backup for TS. This one
was made on Jan 2nd and I'm booted into it now, The old
RTL8188EUS still works. However I figurte that as soon as I
upgrade it will stop working (as it did last time).

So what I'm going to try is do some upgrading incrementally
avoiding anything that might have anything to do with wifi,
including kernel updates.

--
openSUSE Leap 15.3, Kernel=5.3.18-59.37-preempt on x86_64,
DM=sddm, DE=sle-Classic:GNOME, ST=x11,grub2, GPT, BIOS-boot

Carlos E.R.

Jan 30, 2022, 9:14:06 PM1/30/22
On 2022-01-30 04:49, bad sector wrote:
> On 1/29/22 18:55, Robert wrote:
>> On 28/01/2022 01:08, bad sector wrote:
>>
>>> Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0bda:b812 Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
>>> RTL88x2bu [AC1200 Techkey]
>>>
>>> How do I get the driver module 88x2bu.ko for this?
>>
>> A simple search on software.opensuse.org found:
>> <https://software.opensuse.org/package/rtl88x2bu>
>
> Exactly, that's the one I cited earlier, and a simple look into
> it showed that it did not cover Leap-15.3. I tried to install it
> anyway but it was impossible.
>
> Meanwhile I reverted to an even older backup for TS. This one
> was made on Jan 2nd and I'm booted into it now, The old
> RTL8188EUS still works. However I figurte that as soon as I
> upgrade it will stop working (as it did last time).

Well, it is your job to report the issue in Bugzilla. That's how things
are done.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

bad sector

Jan 30, 2022, 10:31:31 PM1/30/22
On 1/29/22 22:49, bad sector wrote:
> On 1/29/22 18:55, Robert wrote:
>> On 28/01/2022 01:08, bad sector wrote:
>>
>>> Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0bda:b812 Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
>>> RTL88x2bu [AC1200 Techkey]
>>>
>>> How do I get the driver module 88x2bu.ko for this?
>>
>> A simple search on software.opensuse.org found:
>> <https://software.opensuse.org/package/rtl88x2bu>
>
> Exactly, that's the one I cited earlier, and a simple look into
> it showed that it did not cover Leap-15.3. I tried to install it
> anyway but it was impossible.
>
> Meanwhile I reverted to an even older backup for TS. This one
> was made on Jan 2nd and I'm booted into it now, The old
> RTL8188EUS still works. However I figurte that as soon as I
> upgrade it will stop working (as it did last time).
>
> So what I'm going to try is do some upgrading incrementally
> avoiding anything that might have anything to do with wifi,
> including kernel updates.

So I did that, very incrementally, even doing a backup before upgrading
the kernel ..just in case. As the saying goes nothing happens to those
who are prepared, the wifi works just as well as it did two months ago.

bad sector

Feb 2, 2022, 8:30:02 AM2/2/22
On 1/30/22 22:31, bad sector wrote:

> So I did that, very incrementally, even doing a backup before upgrading
> the kernel ..just in case. As the saying goes nothing happens to those
> who are prepared, the wifi works just as well as it did two months ago.

fuck

--
Devuan GNU/Linux 4 (chimaera), Kernel=4.19.0-12-amd64 on x86_64,
DM=Unknown, DE=XFCE, ST=x11,grub2, GPT, BIOS-boot

Andrew

Feb 2, 2022, 8:40:09 AM2/2/22
bad sector wrote:
> On 1/30/22 22:31, bad sector wrote:
>
>> So I did that, very incrementally, even doing a backup before upgrading
>> the kernel ..just in case. As the saying goes nothing happens to those
>> who are prepared, the wifi works just as well as it did two months ago.
>
> fuck

Or not, as the case may be?

bad sector

Feb 2, 2022, 9:48:44 PM2/2/22
The driver is in the kernel

reverted to kernel 5.3.18-150300.59.43.1
both rtl8188eu usb-wifis are working again

bad sector

Feb 17, 2022, 9:30:06 AM2/17/22

Part of the problem, as far as I've been able to nail it,
are my two Sennheiser wifi headsets which compete
for frequency. My RTL8188EUS usb-fingernail transceivers
(of which it so happens I also have two) always show up
with lsusb but have not worked with Leap-15.3 for some
time now, not even with new installs! How can this be?????

They kinda 'went' gradually, could it be that they are
'losing it' although for some reason they still work
better with Tumbleweed (and I have never heard of
such a process anyway)?

Nor do I know to what extent they can work on varying
frequencies as those are set out by the wifi router,
but which AGAIN should be identical on Leap & TW.

And then there is THIS:
https://en-us.sennheiser.com/what-do-i-do-when-there-is-wireless-signal-or-wifi-interference After doing the frequency hogging ritual referenced above, and plugging both the 81188 and the 88x2bu in under Tumbleweed (and 'connecting' to the 5g mode afforded by the 88x2bu) I got faultless operation on both usb wifi and the headset.

https://github.com/RinCat/RTL88x2BU-Linux-Driver/issues/94
which ALSO mentions the 81188gu's under Suse AND the
date is about right for when they started acting up on my Leap-15.3
"This driver should works through every official kernels, but
most users will use distribution modified kernels which I
cannot do much about that."

& THIS is no longer available:
https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/Sauerland:/hardware/openSUSE_Leap_15.3/x86_64/rtl8188eu-kmp-default-git20210519_k5.3.18_57-lp153.7.1.x86_64.rpm

So the problem is mostly on Leap-15.3 in that my 8188EUS's
just DON'T WORK ANYMORE while the 88x2BU drivers DON'T
EXIST.

Anyone know a chipset WITHOUT ANY such problems?

Carlos E.R.

Feb 18, 2022, 7:40:09 AM2/18/22
But you have another version there:

rtl8188eu-kmp-default-git20220204_k5.3.18_57-lp153.2.1.x86_64.rpm
04-Feb-2022 18:21 4.1M

--
Cheers, Carlos.

bad sector

Feb 18, 2022, 11:37:21 PM2/18/22
On 2/18/22 07:39, Carlos E.R. wrote:
> On 2022-02-17 15:29, bad sector wrote:
>
>> & THIS is no longer available:
>>
>> https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/Sauerland:/hardware/openSUSE_Leap_15.3/x86_64/rtl8188eu-kmp-default-git20210519_k5.3.18_57-lp153.7.1.x86_64.rpm
>>
> But you have another version there:
>
> rtl8188eu-kmp-default-git20220204_k5.3.18_57-lp153.2.1.x86_64.rpm

that's a what, not a where; besides, whoever broke it should fix it :-)

anyway, install also requires equivalent 'ueficert' so I found that too
and tried on a 15.3 freshie:

Yast:
"nothing provides kernel-uname-r =..."
"nothing provides suse-kernel-rpm-scriptlets"

bad sector

Feb 19, 2022, 10:03:44 AM2/19/22
On 2/17/22 09:29, bad sector wrote:

> Anyone know a chipset WITHOUT ANY such problems?

this page lists best linux-usb-wifi for 2022:

https://www.addictivetips.com/ubuntu-linux-tips/usb-wifi-adapter-linux/

I might go for the #3

The problem with those 'bigger' usb's is that removals/insertions
plus vibration tend to wear out the usb ports (my desktop set rattles
like a T-34 with a dropped track). On the other hand my two 8188's
are so small that removing them from little used ports requires pliers.

Carlos E.R.

Feb 19, 2022, 6:48:08 PM2/19/22
On 2022-02-19 05:37, bad sector wrote:
> On 2/18/22 07:39, Carlos E.R. wrote:
>> On 2022-02-17 15:29, bad sector wrote:
>>
>>> & THIS is no longer available:
>>>
>>> https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/Sauerland:/hardware/openSUSE_Leap_15.3/x86_64/rtl8188eu-kmp-default-git20210519_k5.3.18_57-lp153.7.1.x86_64.rpm
>>>
>> But you have another version there:
>>
>> rtl8188eu-kmp-default-git20220204_k5.3.18_57-lp153.2.1.x86_64.rpm
>
> that's a what, not a where; besides, whoever broke it should fix it :-)

Where, is the exact same URL you posted above.

> anyway, install also requires equivalent 'ueficert' so I found that too
> and tried on a 15.3 freshie:
>
> Yast:
> "nothing provides kernel-uname-r =..."
> "nothing provides suse-kernel-rpm-scriptlets"

I can not interpret that without full data provided.

--
Cheers, Carlos.