Silly question.

Sidney_Kotic

May 15, 2021, 6:39:51 PM5/15/21
In light of the upcoming Leap 15.3 release...

What are the pros and cons of downloading the iso image and doing an upgrade
from 15.2 vs. just doing a zypper dup?

panorain

May 16, 2021, 9:20:33 PM5/16/21
That is an excellent question:
https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:System_upgrade

Among the advantages are:

You only download the packages that need to be upgraded, thus using
a lot less bandwidth.
During the upgrade, you can still use your workstation (even if
this is not recommended); the only downtime will be the reboot after the
upgrade.
You do not have to use a DVD, nor do you need a DVD writer. (You
also could boot from the net or a USB key, and install the rest from the
net...)

The disadvantages:

If, for any reason, the upgrade is interrupted (e.g. power outages,
network disconnect) and the process cannot continue, you could be left
with a broken system (that depends on where the process stopped of course).
If you have multiple systems to upgrade, you use bandwidth each
time, so it might be better to download an ISO image.
It does not do all of the cleanup and maintenance that an offline
DVD Upgrade does.

-Regards

Carlos E.R.

May 16, 2021, 9:36:07 PM5/16/21
15.3 is not yet released, it is not finished. Me, I would wait a month
after release, so if you want to install now, then install 15.2 and
upgrade by the end of June.

At least for a production machine.

Cons: just more work, if everything goes right.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Carlos E.R.

May 16, 2021, 9:40:08 PM5/16/21
On 16/05/2021 00.39, Sidney_Kotic wrote:
However, if you are asking about the differences of upgrading online,
"zypper dup" method, vs upgrading offline, aka booting the DVD and
choosing upgrade, then the answer is long and complicated. Read both pages:

https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:System_upgrade

vs

https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Offline_upgrade

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Sidney_Kotic

May 16, 2021, 10:57:53 PM5/16/21
On 5/16/21 5:37 PM, Carlos E.R. wrote:

> However, if you are asking about the differences of upgrading online, "zypper
> dup" method, vs upgrading offline, aka booting the DVD and choosing upgrade,
> then the answer is long and complicated. Read both pages:

That I will. Where I live in the spring/summer/fall I have 3 machines running
15.2, and one running 15.1 without UEFI support (it will need a complete bare
metal install to fix and that's why it's at 15.1). The other 3 can be upgraded.
Where I live in the fall/winter I have 2 machines running 15.2, they can be
upgraded but that's months away.

Carlos E.R.

May 17, 2021, 5:36:07 AM5/17/21
If you need help with the offline upgrade method, ask me, I wrote that
wiki page, mostly ;-)

I know it has parts that no longer apply.

--
Cheers, Carlos.