virtualbox

1 view

Sidney_Kotic

Jan 12, 2022, 10:46:58 PMJan 12
Since Rosetta@Home is continually sniveling about the lack of it, without
starting some sort of dissonant conversations, anybody willing to give me their
opinion of it? That'd be pretty much it's only use for me, all my computers are
running openSUSE Leap 15.3 right now.

bad sector

Jan 13, 2022, 8:18:35 AMJan 13
The only use I had for glass was a guitar effects board the
half-brain maker of which saw fit to ignore non-windows-apple
users. The Boss-Me80's bundleware does not work with linux.
So when I decided that enough was enough I installed vBox and
freed up an otherwise totally useless w partition. As far as my
needs are concerned vBox does the job better than the original,
I use it once every 4 months and in between forget how2 but
it really is no rocket science, you click the icon and opens a
windows window :-)

Box icon top of left panel:
https://imgur.com/BFE6L7U.png

Sidney_Kotic

Jan 14, 2022, 8:43:23 PMJan 14
Oh well...loaded it...Rosetta downloaded about a dozen jobs...I went to bed and
when I got up they'd all processed...went to the Rosetta site and discovered
they'd all come up with an error and failed...removed it. To bad, I've got 3
AMD machines with 72 threads and none are running Rosetta.

Malcolm

Jan 14, 2022, 9:58:54 PMJan 14
Hi
Doesn't it just run with the linux boinc client?

--
Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
Tumbleweed 20220113 | GNOME Shell 41.3 | 5.16.0-1-default

Malcolm

Jan 14, 2022, 10:42:33 PMJan 14
On Fri, 14 Jan 2022 20:58:51 -0600
Malcolm <malcol...@linuxmail.org.invalid> wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Jan 2022 18:43:14 -0700
> Sidney_Kotic <ka...@have.it> wrote:
>
> > Oh well...loaded it...Rosetta downloaded about a dozen jobs...I went
> > to bed and when I got up they'd all processed...went to the Rosetta
> > site and discovered they'd all come up with an error and
> > failed...removed it. To bad, I've got 3 AMD machines with 72
> > threads and none are running Rosetta.
> >
> Hi
> Doesn't it just run with the linux boinc client?

Hi
See https://boinc.berkeley.edu/forum_thread.php?id=11549

cat cc_config.xml

<cc_config>
<options>
<dont_use_vbox>0</dont_use_vbox>
</options>
</cc_config>

--
Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
Tumbleweed 20220113 | GNOME Shell 41.3 | 5.16.0-1-default
HP Z440 | Xeon E5-2690 V3 X24 @ 2.60GHz | AMD RX550/Nvidia GT1030
up 1 day 10:24, 2 users, load average: 0.80, 0.74, 0.48

Sidney_Kotic

Jan 14, 2022, 11:14:17 PMJan 14
On 1/14/22 19:58, Malcolm wrote:

> Doesn't it just run with the linux boinc client?

Apparently without virtualbox Rosetta doesn't push out work very often. I'm
running boinc projects on those machines, and 4 other machines (they're all
practically obsolete and just hang around headless crunching until they drop dead).

I was sort of testing the idea. But I won't install it for just the one
application.

Malcolm

Jan 15, 2022, 9:41:24 AMJan 15
Hi
I tested here with the openSUSE client, set that option and it pulled
units to process and started processing?

--
Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
Tumbleweed 20220113 | GNOME Shell 41.3 | 5.16.0-1-default
HP Z440 | Xeon E5-2690 V3 X24 @ 2.60GHz | AMD RX550/Nvidia GT1030
up 1 day 21:22, 2 users, load average: 0.13, 0.14, 0.25