Upgrade advice

1 view

Paul R Schmidtbleicher

Feb 5, 2022, 9:14:13 PM2/5/22
*I have c.900 files that tell me there is an upgrade
*I have tumbleweed and therefore command <dup>
*About 15 problems are listed 13 are suggesting I have a new packman
program that is wanting to "upgraded" to and older suse repository
program.
*The Level of change is like ***.1.1.6.2 (Packman) down to ***.1.1.5.1
Suse
*From older versions of OpenSuse, I believe Packman programs were added to
circumvent some of the "hobbling" OpenSuse was "legally" needing to do.
*Only two options (1) Replace "obsolete" **.6.2 packman with **.5.1 suse
OR (2) keep "obsolete" **.6.2 packman

Without going deeper I chose #2 in all 13 cases. What would your advise
have been?

bad sector

Feb 5, 2022, 11:49:46 PM2/5/22
that's what I do too

my advice would be for zypper to respect 'use packman repo' prefs
set up in Yast, which doesn't seem to be the case

Malcolm

Feb 6, 2022, 10:07:02 AM2/6/22
Hi
A bad move.... there have been recent changes on the multimedia side
and should let the gstreamer packages change, the number of packages
look familiar (15~16 problems).

As Tumbleweed users it would behoove you to add openSUSE Factory and
Packman Mailing lists to nntp (I use gmane)....

--
Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
Tumbleweed 20220204 | GNOME Shell 41.3 | 5.16.4-1-default

Paul R Schmidtbleicher

Feb 7, 2022, 2:14:41 PM2/7/22
I would ask: If you allowed, on your installation, the "upgrade" away from
the Packman to the OpenSuse repository (1) Can you still play commercial
DVD movies on Tumbleweed; (2) Can you work with MP3 audio (Move WAV audio
to MP3). These were the things Packman added to my OpenSuse installations
since 10.3
Thanks,
Paul

Carlos E.R.

Feb 7, 2022, 5:16:09 PM2/7/22
I agree with Malcolm fully, do the zypper dup as it wants.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Malcolm

Feb 7, 2022, 5:58:24 PM2/7/22
On 7 Feb 2022 19:14:38 GMT
Hi
Yes, that's the whole point of the gstreamer changes, again, explained
on the Factory and Project Mailing lists about why and the impact....
https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/565863-2022-Changes-to-Gstreamer-and-Pipewire-packages-from-Packman

Nothing to do with libdvdcss2 (which hasn't changed in awhile, I just
rebuild the src rpm locally). Don't see why wav to mp3 won't work...
mp3 has been free for a long time....

--
Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
Tumbleweed 20220205 | GNOME Shell 41.3 | 5.16.4-1-default

Carlos E.R.

Feb 8, 2022, 1:40:08 PM2/8/22
The changes are to packages that do not really need to be built by
packman, nothing proprietary or restricted about them. Moving them out
of packman into openSUSE OBS frees computing power resources which
packman needs.

--
Cheers, Carlos.