wlan0 fail

1 view

Sidney_Kotic

Mar 21, 2022, 6:22:07 PM3/21/22
This is the second time this has happened. The first time was long ago when I
installed Leap 15.0 on the computer. This last time was over the weekend when I
was catching up on installing updates, I'd been away from the computer for 5
months and had a lot of things to update (300+ packages IIRC).
The first time was a problem with the rtl8821ae module. During the discussion
on the problem a number of commands were suggested. They were:
cat /etc/os-release
hwinfo --short
lshw -short
ip a
iwconfig
iwlist wlan0 scan
dmesg
rfkill list
lspci -nnk | grep -iA3 net
modinfo rtl8821ae

I can provide more info, but basically it took someone to create a new rtl8821ae
to solve it. Is there anything else I can do?

Carlos E.R.

Mar 29, 2022, 8:21:12 PM3/29/22
I think that you solved the issue not here, but on the openSUSE mail
list, July 2021.

Otherwise, you could start by running those commands and pasting them
with the outputs here. We have no basis for diagnosis, there is no data.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Sidney_Kotic

Mar 29, 2022, 9:30:50 PM3/29/22
> I think that you solved the issue not here, but on the openSUSE mail list, July
> 2021.

Yep, same problem. Just after, or during, the weekend of March 19 there was a
patch put out which unfixed what they fixed in the rtl8821ae module. I have a
strong suspicion it was something to do with the virtualbox package I installed,
not upgraded, as the last step. After the reboot the WiFi was gone. I've
installed that package on 5 other computers with no problem.

> Otherwise, you could start by running those commands and pasting them with the
> outputs here. We have no basis for diagnosis, there is no data.

I bought a USB WiFi adapter. It's working with that.